PDA

View Full Version : Taking EASY close-up photos: using the MACRO button

pyro
12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Some help for those of you with digital pocket cameras:

I'm constantly seeing postings with blurry close-up photos of parts for sale (with the rest of the room or background in focus) Cameras are designed to focus on objects at least 4 feet away under normal conditions in AUTO mode. Your camera won't take good close-ups unless you TELL it to do so.

Every point and shoot digital camera also has a MACRO button for close-up photos. I get the feeling that this feature isn't widely understood. This is the button marked with a "flower pot" icon on your camera. This will allow you to shoot sharp photos of objects only inches away. With macro enabled, the camera's autofocus will give priority to close-up objects. This is how you take pictures of piston tops, spark plugs and such. Most cameras will lock the auto-focus on whichever object is centered in the little target box at the center of the frame. Macro allows this target to be an object only inches away from the lens.

Using bright room lights and DISABLING the flash will produce a better end result for close-ups, as long as you can hold the camera steady enough to avoid blurring , since the shutter will be much slower without the flash. The brighter the room lighting, the faster the shutter will fire.

I took these example photos with a Canon SD750 pocket camera. Almost ANY $120 digital camera can do this.

The WRONG way: Default settings. The camera won't normally focus this close, so it chooses a point farther away instead. Flash fires automatically, whites out the highlights. Oh well, at least the body is in focus :rolleyes:
http://i17.tinypic.com/8ggc5jc.jpg

Getting better. MACRO is ON, camera now focuses on the object in the middle of the frame. Flash still blows out the details to pure white. Foreground blur looks horrible with a flash. Auto chooses 1/60 sec @ f/8.
http://i8.tinypic.com/7x4a93t.jpg

This is done properly. MACRO is ON, and flash is DISABLED. The camera chose 1/8 sec. exposure this time, which is SLOW, almost impossible to shoot without camera-shake blur. I was bracing the camera steady for the shot. Brighter room lighting will allow a faster shutter speed. Shoot the same shot several times and choose the sharpest one, where the in-focus area looks crisp. Notice how you can now see the details in the color of the metal frets. The camera shot this one still a bit dark, I lightened it slightly in Photoshop. Original was 1/8 sec @ f/2.8
http://i11.tinypic.com/864ah48.jpg

One added benefit of using NO flash, is that your camera will likely select a wide-open aperture (maybe f/2.8) for more light exposure. As with all cameras, this wide aperture will cause the foreground and background to be much more blurry than usual, while the target subject at center remains crisp and "isolated" by this effect. This is quite visible above, where the flash photo with f/8 aperture shows a broader "in-focus" zone, while the wide-open f/2.8 no-flash photo brings only a narrow distance zone into focus.

Pocket cameras usually have auto-ISO. In the third photo, the camera likely used a higher ISO setting to boost the brightness of the photo and permit reasonable exposure settings in exchange for less smooth shading. Higher ISO boost increases noise, the "speckly" look visible in the dark background areas. This is normal.
-Chad

Stitch King
12-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Nice advise.

You ought to consider holding a digital photog class or training sessions. Searched for something to send Laura to and nothing other than the college classes popped up.

Give it some thought. She goes to Ann Arbor to take care of her Grandmother a couple times a week anyhow.

pyro
12-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Haha, I'm not a pro. My little article above was aimed at those with simple point and shoot cameras. Laura's camera and mine don't have a macro button. ;)

Hottrucks
12-02-2007, 08:41 AM
thanx Chad The flower pot setting ........got it !!! I thought that was for taking pictures of pansy's or things like that.....

Fish
12-02-2007, 08:58 AM
so is the setting with the big mountains on it for taking pictures at Hooters or not????;)

pyro
12-02-2007, 09:19 AM
(Photos added to first post.)

The little "lightning bolt" button will take you through the three possible flash settings on your camera, usually marked by these icons:

'bolt' with "A" (auto flash)
'bolt' (always flash)
'bolt' with line through it (never flash)

Most pocket cameras go back to default settings when turned off and back on again.

pyro
12-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Once again, close-up with the MACRO "flower pot" mode ON, and flash DISABLED. This was taken under a much brighter fluorescent light. I couldn't even see the pits in the white gold, or the lint fiber on the diamond until I pulled this photo up on the screen. The bokeh effect of the wide aperture once again causes the focus to "isolate" the subject.

http://i15.tinypic.com/6xv1u1c.jpg

Stitch King
12-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Haha, I'm not a pro. My little article above was aimed at those with simple point and shoot cameras. Laura's camera and mine don't have a macro button. ;)

Yep, no macro button adds to the complexity. She's using an old Kodak Digital for her close up work. Kind of a waste having the Nikon in my opinion.

Give it some thought. Here's a chance to have your hobby pay you back at an $ hourly rate. Look at it this way, you could use it to fund that VR lens you want.

Nice thing is you are not a pro. Those guys tend to be snobs. Your answers are simple yet concise and you show examples. Plus she will listen to you.

Not trying to be a pest, but ya got talent. PM me and let me know

hsbob
12-03-2007, 01:04 PM
vr lens are only good for static shots in low lite. if there's something moving the vr still will yeild a blurred picture.

good thought pyro on the macro. it help is you also have an off camera flash that is reflected of the ceiling. also in photo elements and photo shop there is a auto function for litening up the background arround the cenered item.

pyro
12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I took these amp photos with an old piece of crap Sony DSC-S75 with a scratch on the lens:

http://i2.tinypic.com/865euz9.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/82tssav.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/8bzqnp5.jpg

Scream And Fly
12-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Chad, I want to try the Boogies!

pyro
12-11-2007, 05:24 PM
so is the setting with the big mountains on it for taking pictures at Hooters or not????;)

NO. Unless you also use macro. Just make sure the autofocus target is aimed at the mountains. ;) Usually, MACRO is good for up to 4 feet away, give or take...

Usually the "face" icon indicates PORTRAIT mode (wide aperture for short depth of field, more focus isolation and out-of-focus background)

The "mountains" icon is probably LANDSCAPE mode (smaller aperture for more depth of field, foreground AND background both in focus for sprawling bright outdoor scenes)

(And NO, this has nothing to do with print page setup options in Windows by the same names) :D

Liberator*21
02-28-2008, 01:08 PM
These pics are of a common office staple pullers fingers, regular shot and macro shot:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/misc/StaplePuller_sm.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/misc/StaplePuller_macro.jpg

:) :)

hsbob
02-28-2008, 01:17 PM
looking good, but you need to bounce the flashes off the celing. it also needs to have some power and not those on camera flashes. bouncing gets rid of the bright [lite] areas as on the right of the staple puller.

Riverman
02-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for this Pyro, you describe very well.

pyro
02-28-2008, 01:50 PM
looking good, but you need to bounce the flashes off the celing. it also needs to have some power and not those on camera flashes. bouncing gets rid of the bright [lite] areas as on the right of the staple puller.

Bob, that would be great if everyone had an SLR like you and I do.

The article was mostly aimed at people with point-and-shoot cameras who don't have the ability to easily bounce a flash off the ceiling. The next best thing for a natural look is a well-lit room and no flash, as I suggested. The camera will automatically pick a wide-open aperture for shallow depth of field and beter subject isolation. These little cameras will usually limit the slow end of the exposure to 1/32 or 1/25 sec., and compensate with auto-ISO boost, thus allowing a steady hand to still shoot a decent photo without blur.

hsbob
02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
i hear you, but if they do a lot of closeups. you just block the on board flash with a piece of card board leaving just a little opening at the top. you by a flash trigger [$10] that atteches to the off camera flash and point it at the ceiling. i use this arrangement in dark large rooms whrere i really need to lite the area up.

pyro
02-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Bob, you're still not grasping the fact that I wrote this article for the regular guy who doesn't know what ANY of those buttons on his $80 camera are for.
Preaching about triggered flashes in this thread is like ranting about quantum physics in a rough inner-city night club.

Never mind the fact that most automatic point-and-shoot cameras (which lack an M mode) will try to compensate exposure whenever the flash is made active, whether or not you attempt to bounce it, and will also choose a smaller aperture (now there's no subject isolation), and the fact that it sounds like a lot of extra work when a cheap camera and a couple of room lamps does the job just fine.
This thread is over most people's heads now. It started out as simply a suggestion to "push macro and turn off the flash" to help prevent all the damned fuzzy piston photos around here.

Maybe we can start a new "let's have a technical argument" thread, OR you could go write your own thread about how to take photos of spark plugs with a $5000 camera. I'm sure there will be some good reading material for you and me, and the handful of others who own dSLR's.

hsbob
02-29-2008, 03:38 PM
ok. let drop it. i really dont have much more to add any way. as i said before you close uo article is really good.

1BadAction
02-29-2008, 04:49 PM
you could go write your own thread about how to take photos of spark plugs with a $5000 camera.

LMFAO! you should change your name to butter cause you're on a roll :D when I get home I'll post a macro pic I took last night messing around with my lil work camera.

PS- personally I'd rather have a nice quick point and shoot for general still pics and candid shots. I have no desire to spend 5gs on equipment and learn all the intricacies of a slr just to use it 5 times a year... I'll leave that to the pros :D

1BadAction
02-29-2008, 07:05 PM
hows this for a rookie?

hmmm... i might have picked the wrong one when I loaded it to imageshack, but whatever, you get the idea.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3889/dscf0340ni0.jpg

Riverman
02-29-2008, 07:16 PM
personally I'd rather have a nice quick point and shoot for general still pics and candid shots. I have no desire to spend 5gs on equipment and learn all the intricacies of a slr just to use it 5 times a year.I was just thinking the same thing Jim. I was looking at SLRs a couple of weeks ago and it got me thinking when I read this thread, I really should learn to use my pos Sony first. Last weekend we went skiing and having an SLR in my pocket was out of the question. Maybe I'll buy more boat stuff instead. :)

hsbob
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM
for those who dont have the macro setting or the macro setting is not enough, there are close up lenses you can buy to screw onto the outside of the lens. there sold in set of 1,2, and4x for about $35.