PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Merc fan , new guy!

shortshaftred100
11-26-2007, 01:36 AM
Hi Guys,
Well guess I am the new guy, I am in OZ but we wont let that stop us, I am a self confessed Mercury addict, a few years ago I foolishly sold my pride and joy a bueatiful Oz made 16 foot runabout made in 1961 and it had a 1961 Merc 6cyl 80hp White, the unit had only done 50 hours when I got it and only fresh water use on a private lake, I fitted power tilt to it and that was it, I added another 5 hours in 6 years, just liked to perve on that old Merc never had a scratch on it, the hole boat was really sweet. But gone now, I have been restoring a small 14 foot runabout for recreational use only, I just bought a nice Merc 100 Redband short shaft for it, just looking for information at the moment on the history of the Redband, when made etc and any performance mods to make it go harder.

Orbit`
11-26-2007, 01:58 AM
Welcome its good to have some more aussies on board

Your even near me

Wild Wil
11-26-2007, 06:02 AM
This site might help for some parts. Good to see another Black motor.

http://www.eastcoastmarineservice.com/marine_accesories.htm

shortshaftred100
11-26-2007, 06:43 AM
I have had a long term love affair with the inline Mercs for many years, having owned my share of 4 and 6 cylinders, my current boat is being modified from forward control to a rear off side console and a rear facing lounge will replace the forward set up, I have some wieght issues with the Merc and the fact my hull is only 14 foot long but we will sort it, I am hoping to pull a reasonable MPH figure out of it, wether it will need cav plates or a hydrafoil on the leg remains to be seen, will know all this when I launch it I guess, it will only see lake use, any mods that can be made to the Merc to enhance its performance will be looked at, start with prop pitch and gearbox ratios first. Was there a factory made performance gearbox housing made, a mate of mine has a racing box on an 85 hp Red, very different to my set up.

Mark75H
11-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Not much that can be done to the 100 hp Merc due to the cylinders and head cast as one piece. There are a few pieces that you could try on the gear box. One is 1.78:1 gears from a 135, the other is the low water inlet XS foot. Both of these pieces are likely to be found on running or easily repairable motors with more power than the 100.

100's with red decals were made in 1968 and 1969 only

Fish
11-26-2007, 07:48 AM
welcome to scream and fly.:)

fish