PDA

View Full Version : seperated deck and hull........

Talon2.5
06-05-2002, 05:30 AM
the top deck is seperated about a foot long from the hull on my talon, (want to correct it before it gets bad) i need to know what the best adhesive sealant is to "bond" the two before re-installing the rub rail screws, i had read something on the threads along time ago but cant remember the thread name or product that was mentioned, but it was said that the fiberglass would break before that stuff would let go?

any suggestions :D

H2Onut
06-05-2002, 07:37 AM
They make a 2 part epoxy bonding putty. Stuff is Nuke proof.

Its a little thicker than pancake batter, so it wont run on you.

Its the whip. and its E P O X Y !

www.fgci.com

Balzy
06-05-2002, 09:44 AM
Windshield sealant with good results. It doesn't ever get brittle. I also know that the 5200 stuff is good. Both come in tubes for your caulking gun.

Techno
06-05-2002, 04:49 PM
Sikaflex is pretty good. Something like the windshield stuff.

RONNIE
06-05-2002, 11:04 PM
Skip how you doin? W#ell go to the local bodyshop supply store and get some 3m panel adhesive for fiberglass. stuff will hold just about anything thats made of fiberglass.

Liqui-Fly
06-06-2002, 07:41 AM
Last winter when I did mine and used the 5200. That crap is wicked strong but not as riggied as epoxies or glass. I was concrened about getting stress cracks by going with something solid. The 5200 I would say is "shock" resistant but it did tighten up the boat. Any epoxy or hard filler without glass will get beat crumbs in the seam...been there too.

David

Talon2.5
06-07-2002, 05:02 AM
hell i forgot i posted about this :rolleyes:

i would like something that gives me "working time" and will be flexible to a degree but keep the hull tight

so you guys say the 5200 and/or 3m panel adhesive, is the 5200 also a 3m product?

lavey what do ya mean by "beat crumbs in the seam"? break apart a little and leave crumbs in there?

thanks for the replies gentlemen!!!!!! i appreciate it!!!!!

Euroski
06-07-2002, 05:59 AM
When I purchased my Euro I found out the area near the bow was lacking adhesive. What I did was split the seam with wedges, sand and clean the surfaces with "auto brake kleen", then filled it up with 3M-5200 Even the fast dry gives plently of time to get it all lined up and clamped down. For mine it was just putting the rubrail back on. Stuff takes 24hours to dry but I left mine for a week before moving the boat. 2 years later still ok. BTW, the 5200 has some flex to it...

Rickracer
06-07-2002, 06:18 AM
I got just what ya need. A caulk gun tube of white 5200. :D