PDA

View Full Version : acetone,will it hurt?

JIMK
06-04-2002, 01:59 PM
hey new guy here,with new boat it has some decals on it i am removing but the glue is still there.i know acetone will remove it but will it hurt the fiberglass or finish? i plan on new registration numbers too so it will be the same deal. thanks for your help.Jim King

action17
06-04-2002, 02:26 PM
acetone should not hurt the finish as long as it is gel coat!! you should apply some wax to the area that you used the acetone on!!

JIMK
06-04-2002, 02:29 PM
cool thanks for the reply,i plan on a full wax job after anyway,still have some clean-up and maintanance to do.thanks again.Jim King

steve
06-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Try that instead. Its recommended by several of the boat builders .

pyro
06-04-2002, 03:15 PM
Use the mildest solvent first to avoid damage, if it doesn't work then try a stronger one. In the following order as necessary:

Zippo lighter fluid (may work OK, but slow)
99% rubbing alcohol (better than the 70% variety)
gasoline (believe it or not, sometimes saves the day)
lacquer thinner
acetone

Also, the stuff they sell in aerosol cans called "brake parts cleaner" is VERY strong cleaner. It usually contains Acetone, Toluene/Xyene, etc. The yellow cans (prestone?) dries fast and leaves no residue.

-Chad the PYROmaniac and flammable substance expert :D

us1
06-04-2002, 03:32 PM
Gasoline or lacquer thinner will work better than acetone.

JIMK
06-04-2002, 03:32 PM
yeah chad, i saw your post on the potato gun:eek: do you remember some of the first ones,the steel pop cans taped together and fired tennis balls with lighter fluid? those were the days,man if we had pvc pipe back then.thanks for your help.Jim King

Talon2.5
06-05-2002, 05:24 AM
hehehehe yea i did the cans taped together and tennis balls too, alot of fun then

JIMK
06-05-2002, 08:30 AM
well an update, i used laquer thinner and it is slow but it works on the glue. now someone has "spray bombed" the inside black and got overspray on alot of the boats surface. the laquer thinner had NO effect on removing it. what can i do about that? thanks.Jim King

Firestarter
06-05-2002, 08:47 AM
WD-40 takes off the glue, as does BonAmi glass cleaner if you are nervous about hurting something

RT

Flat Out
06-05-2002, 08:52 AM
For the overspray laquer thinner should do it. you can try methyl ethyl ketone. It stinks and is not really good to breath but gets tar off my truck. Anthing you try do it in an inconspicous place first.

LaserModVee
06-05-2002, 09:44 AM
I would try buffing it out with some glaze. If that didn't work, I would wetsand with some 2000, then buff. Buff again using swirl remover after glazing.

LaserModVee
06-05-2002, 09:49 AM
Use 3M Perfect-it III rubbing compound when taking out the fine wetsanding scratches.

Try to keep that thinner off of your skin. The old timer body shop guys say that stuff will soak through your skin and head straight for the liver.

Revinrude
06-05-2002, 12:20 PM
Try a product called GooBGone (really!) find it at Home Depot, Lowes or hardware stores,
made for removing adhesive left behind from stickers, tape etc.
Works great for me and hasent hurt a thing so far.

Jim

Liqui-Fly
06-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Laser idea is the best to start. If you had any wax at all on the boat when the overspray occurred then that paint isn'tr adhered to the surface at all.

David

Wile E. Coyote
06-06-2002, 06:37 AM
Have you considered no chemicals at all? 3-M makes a decal removal tool (sort of) It is several sort of floppy disks stacked togeather and attatched to a drill chuck, spun on a drill you just sort of erase the decals and glue. Marine stores dont generally stock it but automotive paint supply might. I got my information directly from 3-M and then orderd it from local boat supply house. cost was about $20.00
It worked for me....

JIMK
06-06-2002, 03:18 PM
well tried everything, finally broke down and had to sand it off.man it is like new,just need to wax the areas and she is good to go. thanks for all the suggestions. replaced the wood trim along the top rail, got my seat mounted, mounted a stereo out of a 86 chev. nova under the glove box(looks cool) redid the dash with woodgrain contact paper from home depot cleaned up the gauges,(need new speedo) like i am going to need it:D now saturday the wife and i are scoping out lake james so hopefully next weekend we can put her in the water.:) next project is putting 3/4 plywood up front to cover the seat holes and mount a pedastal seat to fish off of. well back to work.thanks again.Jim King

baddjonny
06-07-2002, 08:43 AM
I don't know if it's still around the stuf I always used is called cleanup made by columbia cement in long island originally used for removing contac cement from formica. Will clean and remove almost anything from plastics without harming anything could even clean old records with it .a very strong non harmful cleaner solvent except to your nose.
jon b