PDA

View Full Version : Scored a Nikon 80-200 AF 2.8 for $100

Scream And Fly
11-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Yup, $100 for a Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF. It's in near-mint condition, optics are flawless. Aperture blades are perfect. Why did I get it so cheap? Because the focus ring does not work. I don't think I'll use it, but I couldn't pass it up at this price. I never buy or use used lenses either - I'll send it to Nikon for repair and cleaning and maybe keep it as a backup or sell it. I snapped these pics with my little Canon SD1000.

http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/34759/2002321244894747218_rs.jpg

http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/34500/2002378418796911914_rs.jpg

http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/33348/2002388472001132432_rs.jpg

The Big Al
11-14-2007, 11:51 PM
You don't need that!

You need to send it to me!

hsbob
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
that a great lens and greater price. i assume the focas is not woring on the manual side, but the atuo focus works. if i didnt have the sigma 70-200 2.8 i would get it in a second.

pyro
11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
^
l
l
jealous

Casey
11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Must be nice!!!!!!!

Shaun K
11-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Greg, would like your opinion. How would you feel if someone went and photographed the same location you had a week earlier. Similair compositions and so on...Then put them up in the same forum..This has happened quite a few times now and was just wondering what you thought..Would you be flattered, peeved ? Is that a classy move in your opinion ?

Scream And Fly
11-17-2007, 01:12 AM
If someone did it once or twice, I wouldn't think much of it. But if this person was making a habit of it - replicating my compositions, processing, and posting them in the same forum, I would start to wonder why. I suppose this person could either be trying to learn from you or maybe he/she is just trying to lean too heavily on your ideas. If it happened several times, and you're sure this person is attempting to replicate your work, I would contact the person to see what's up.

Greg, would like your opinion. How would you feel if someone went and photographed the same location you had a week earlier. Similair compositions and so on...Then put them up in the same forum..This has happened quite a few times now and was just wondering what you thought..Would you be flattered, peeved ? Is that a classy move in your opinion ?

Shaun K
11-17-2007, 01:30 AM
If someone did it once or twice, I wouldn't think much of it. But if this person was making a habit of it - replicating my compositions, processing, and posting them in the same forum, I would start to wonder why. I suppose this person could either be trying to learn from you or maybe he/she is just trying to lean too heavily on your ideas. If it happened several times, and you're sure this person is attempting to replicate your work, I would contact the person to see what's up.

Well, I’ve been dealing with that from a group of nikon guys that shoot together often. I brought it up once in the forum a while back and let it pass. Now I have another guy who was commenting on my photos & my gallery last week. So now he's starting the same crap and assume ill see more knock offs shorty. I would never do that myself but it is a bit aggravating at this point. Its a free country but...still

Scream And Fly
11-17-2007, 02:55 AM
You know how I feel about most of the denizens of the photography forums. Digital photography is less about photography to many of those people and more about gadgetry. You get these people that buy good equipment and they think they are instantly a pro. Of course, very few want to actually learn the discipline of photography - so they try to copy others, which is probably what's happening in your case. If these people can only copy your work, then I would feel bad for them more than anything. Don't let it bother you :)

Well, I’ve been dealing with that from a group of nikon guys that shoot together often. I brought it up once in the forum a while back and let it pass. Now I have another guy who was commenting on my photos & my gallery last week. So now he's starting the same crap and assume ill see more knock offs shorty. I would never do that myself but it is a bit aggravating at this point. Its a free country but...still

Fish
11-18-2007, 12:17 PM
speaking of copying others...

I just placed my order for the 80-200 greg.:) Thanks for the advice,

fish

hsbob
11-19-2007, 04:06 PM
dont worry casey. pyro and i have fun picking on each other. in a benifitical way.

Scream And Fly
11-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Jody, that's awesome! Once you use that lens, you'll understand why pro glass is worth the investment. :)

Greg

speaking of copying others...

I just placed my order for the 80-200 greg.:) Thanks for the advice,

fish

Stitch King
11-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Laura is on me to get a better lens for her. She tells me I'll get better pictures of my boat. That's a good enough reason for me.

I got her the D80 a couple months ago with the 18-135 Nikon zoom.

For shots outside in the daylight is it the better optics? Or the f2.8?

Without letting out to many secrets, can you share an action pic from River Ranch (Dave's boat running) and talk about the settings and lens you used so that I (we) can understand better?

Ken

pyro
11-20-2007, 07:17 AM
For shots outside in the daylight is it the better optics? Or the f2.8?

BOTH. The design of the 18-135 is such that "wide open" is considered to be f/3.5 at 18mm and f/6.3 at 135mm. The 18-135, set wide open, will vignette terribly at 135mm (dark corners), and has lots of chromatic abberation at 18mm (fine green/magenta shadows near contrasting edges.) Stopping down a notch or two will decrease these ill effects, but it's tough to do any kind of action shots at f/8, since such a setting requires a SLOW shutter speed at any reasonable ISO setting. The resulting hand shake blur is the biggest part of what makes her zoomed action shots look fuzzy.

Better optics makes up the rest of the difference.

The older 80-200 and the newer 70-200 VR both are designed so they are capable of shooting at f/2.8 throughout their entire zoom range. When wide open is 2.8, depth of field is VERY short. Very little room for error when it comes to focusing. (ex: head-on shot, driver in focus, bow and motor cowl a little blurred ;)) Stopping down a notch or two here is no big deal, since you're still able to choose a fast shutter speed to freeze action and camera shake blur. The heavier lens helps balance the shakes too.

hsbob
11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
the old rule of [1/the mm of lens ] will yeild stop action pictures normally. going faster always helps, but that requires the faster lens. even the stablized lens will have problems in stopping moving objects. the background will be in focus but the moving object will blur. by going to the fastest len 2.8, 2.0 or 1.4 your'll be able to get added lite for the shutter speed. other than that you need to increase the iso, but that can introduce noise if ablve 800+-. there is software that will reduce the noise some what. if your shooting raw bibblelabs includes it in their raw conversion SW. it also batch process the raw images to tiff, jpg....

Stitch King
11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
You guys are way over my head.....

I'm just going to buy her the lens and let her figure it out.

Chad,

Might send her down to you for some training.

Ken

Shaun K
11-22-2007, 10:57 AM
You know how I feel about most of the denizens of the photography forums. Digital photography is less about photography to many of those people and more about gadgetry. You get these people that buy good equipment and they think they are instantly a pro. Of course, very few want to actually learn the discipline of photography - so they try to copy others, which is probably what's happening in your case. If these people can only copy your work, then I would feel bad for them more than anything. Don't let it bother you :)

Yep, that about sums that up . On the 70-200 subject, I sold my 2.8 IS for like 150 bucks less than I paid. Picked up the F4 IS , supposed to be canons sharpest zoom and far more advanced IS. It's exactly half the weight of the 2.8 IS so that aspect is very welcome. Haven’t really tried it yet but hopefully soon. The big news is I went for their three best primes 135F2/85 1.2/35 1.4 , 135 will be here friday and probably would be a fabulous mid range late day action lens. These lenses just made low light photography fun again:)

85 @1.2 iso3200 1/80

http://shaun.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p617233660-4.jpg
another 1.2
http://shaun.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p436836202-4.jpg

35 @ 1.4
http://shaun.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p780342993-4.jpg

1.4 iso1600
http://shaun.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p44921056-4.jpg