PDA

View Full Version : Looking to add New Stereo and GPS system

XChoke
10-27-2007, 09:30 PM
I am in Central/South Jersey and am looking to put an awesome audio system and a Garmen gps in my 32 ' Skater. The boat currently has no audio what so ever.
Anyone know a good audio guy in my area that could help me out without the gun and ski mask ?? I expect to pay for quality and I want quality I just don't want to be robbed. I have tried Zippo's they have a good rep but they are not interested in working on boats they said.

Any info appreciated !!! Thanks
Patrick

SatisfAction
10-28-2007, 12:51 AM
I like doing my own audio work. It's relatively easy if you have a good understanding of how electricity works and are capable utilizing powertools. What kind of setup are you looking to have installed? The typical headunit/speaker setup is easy to do yourself..... adding remote amps makes it a little trickier but can be done too. Where I live, most car audio stores will also work on boats too. In most cases it's a little easier.

flabum1017
10-28-2007, 10:12 AM
You could try going back to Zippo's and ask if they have a tech who would do it on the side. Since the company does not do boats, they should have no problem letting one of their employees do that sort of side work.

Go buy a marine Sony or Clarion with a dash mount remote. Put the stereo inside somewhere where it will stay dry. With the dash mounted remote and the stereo mounted deep and dry, if the remote get's wet you pay the $100 for the remote instead of the $300-$500 for a stereo.

hsbob
10-29-2007, 09:58 AM
on the gps side think about a street pilot from garmin. lage speed display and then you can move it to the car for mapping.

XChoke
10-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys !!

flabum1017
10-30-2007, 05:00 PM
This is the Garmin you want, has marine charts and rroads pre-installed. : http://www.commanche-creek.com/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=102801&i=63148676&mpid=286&dfid=1

Ziemer
10-31-2007, 02:57 PM
If you're gonna put a GPS in the boat, I wouldn't recommend the 478. It's about impossible to use while underway, especially in the rough. My buddy has the 276, which is the same size just a year or two older. It's a great little unit, but the screen is too small to use it effectively. Go for the biggest screen you can get on the budget you have. ;)

merccoop
10-31-2007, 03:12 PM
unless the interior of your boat is getting wet on a regular basis, I would go with standard car audio equipment. I know there are some pretty long and informative audio posts on this site. That way you are not limited to just a companies marine stuff. But, I guess if you are worried about moisture, the marine might be the way to go for you.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127075&highlight=stereo
this is a pretty good one, it has a lot of peoples takes on what is good/not good and the set up alot of people have.