PDA

View Full Version : twister 2

starshipdukegirl
10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
does anyone have a good picture of a twister 2 mercury inline 6 that can be downloaded to frame in a picture frame im starting a room full of old merc pics and ads and i got to have a tx-2 on the wall used to have one on the back of my glastron

Raceman
10-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Here's the quickest one I could put my finger on, but not suitable to print and frame. http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14908&d=1036620070

Are you looking for a T2 or T2X? Similar, but different cosmetically. The T2X like the one in the link above is 5 inches shorter than the T2.

You might get a charge out of looking through this: http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22855&highlight=coolest+outboard

willabee
10-26-2007, 08:54 AM
does anyone have a good picture of a twister 2

Here's the 1st TII, assembled in the final form just before the build of 100 to make them "U" class legal. Picture taken in the engine shop of the Mercury Racing Team in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

wogi
10-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Neat engine willibee:) :D :cool: ;)

AirRide
10-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Welcome to Scream and Fly starshipdukegirl! Like...totally!:)

RabidGatorFan
10-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Here are the pics of Troy Wood's T2X he just sold recently. For an engine of this age, it is immaculate. And no, I am not the one who paid a fortune for it.

Edited for third pic.

Norris has already claimed it as the best looking racing engine ever. I wonder how many of these he truly has?

wogi
10-26-2007, 09:31 PM
I feel that the T2X was the best looking outboard ever made, bar none;)

99fxst99
10-26-2007, 09:41 PM
We rigged a T2 on a Venture bass boat in 1975 or 6. Bought it from Bayside Boats in Virginia Beach VA where it was nothing more than a floor display. Put a 1500 l/u on it as the speedmaster would hardly plane the boat. Rigged it up to shift and everything. Ran pretty but looked and sounded GREAT! Motor ended up on a 16 Allison bought new right after seeing Jim Hunt's blue and black Super V in Miami. Ran good on that with the speedmaster. Had to be careful with the up trim though. Boat didn't like to come back down! Not sure, but was told at the time the new 1750XS and T2X powerheads were interchangeable on the 12" midsections. Anyone know for sure? Seems like an adapter would have been needed.

Raceman
10-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Not sure, but was told at the time the new 1750XS and T2X powerheads were interchangeable on the 12" midsections. Anyone know for sure? Seems like an adapter would have been needed.

They WERE interchangeable, but it took an adapter. Actually, although most people don't realize it with the 1750XS/T3 basically making the T2X obsolete, but the T2X was adapted to the champ mid AFTER the T3 was built.

If you look at this picture, the one on the left is the T2X adapter for the champ mid. Every T2X had this adapter. The middle one is the early T3 tuner and the one on the right is the next generation.http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=540&d=1003718679

You can see the dual bolt pattern on the T2X adapter. As a side note, I also put a T2 powerhead on an inline 1500 mid to run on my 15 Ally at one time, then later went to a regular T2 mid, and finally a champ.

25ss
10-27-2007, 12:10 AM
I took these pics at a show in Fondulac
Mercury brought some cool stuff sorry its not clearer.
Dale!

Bob V
10-27-2007, 07:13 AM
...And no, I am not the one who paid a fortune for it.

Just curious...Does anyone know how much was paid for it? :eek:

Raceman
10-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Norris has already claimed it as the best looking racing engine ever. I wonder how many of these he truly has?

Not enough........ 3 T2's, 2 T2X's. I actually had 1 1/2 more but swapped em for other stuff in the 80's when I lost interest (temporarily):(

Just curious...Does anyone know how much was paid for it? :eek:

If I remember right it was advertised for around $4500 plus freight from across the pond at one time, then again a year or so later.

As far as the Fondulac picture, I've never understood why Merc doesn't go find a CORRECT BP propeller somewhere to put on that Super BP stacker. It just seems all wrong to have a late model Lefty high rake cleaver on it that probably wasn't even somebody's brain wave yet when that motor was current. (If y'all are listening I'll swap you one for something I could use, like maybe a drag powerhead.:D :D :D )

Bob V
10-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Norris....As an avid collector and administrator of this site, you might be the best one to answer this question. Just as a reference, what do you think a reasonable price would be for a restored stacker, a restored red stripe Twister and a restored blue stripe T1?

To me, the $4500.00 for the TII seems very reasonable considering what consumer engines sell for today.

Raceman
10-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Bob, the internet has proven to me that I don't know what ANYTING is worth, be it cars, boats, or dates with a college girl.

A couple of years ago several guys got into a bidding war on a set of stacks on E Bay. (just the stacks, not the engine, and not even the cowling) I think it went over 3 thousand bucks.

I bought a complete 1350 stacker with Speedmaster for 12 or 13 hundred 5 or 6 years ago and Instigator found me a complete T1 up North about 2 years ago for low teens. A member here sold me a 650XS a while back for a more than fair price and added "I'd better not see it on E Bay anytime soon". (it won't happen) I've had a lucky run on 1500XS's most recently for cheap, but the Twister stuff is drying up fast. It's still around in small quantities.

Of all my engines I'd have to think my red Twister is worth the most. The original owner and his daughter were having a discussion about whether it had less than 10 or less than 5 hours on it, and it looks absolutely as new, without even a stain on the silver paint on the powerhead, but I don't have a clue what it's worth as a mint original.

Just like with cars, I hate to see the prices get crazy because it takes stuff out of the hands of the people who truly appreciate it and puts it off on the speculators just looking for a quick buck. A lot of this old stuff I've got I have purely because I wanted it when I was a lot younger and couldn't afford it. Luckily I was able to find most of it before it started getting expen$ive.;)

RabidGatorFan
10-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Norris,

When are you going to open the museum so the rest of us can see it all?

I could be wrong, but for some reason I thought Troy sold it for $7,500 plus shipping, not $4,500. I might be mistaken though.

PARKER RABE
10-27-2007, 11:11 AM
25ss ....how long ago were those pics taken ??????

Raceman
10-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Norris,

When are you going to open the museum so the rest of us can see it all?

I could be wrong, but for some reason I thought Troy sold it for $7,500 plus shipping, not $4,500. I might be mistaken though.

I might be wrong too. If you have any memory at all it's better than mine.

I wish I had it all in museum ready condition. What I've got is a bunch of ole' junk, crammed around in dusty/dirty old buildings with stuff piled on racks where I can't find it when I need it. Nobody's ever accused me of bein' a neat freak or organized.:o

25ss
10-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Parker
If had to guess i would say they were taken 5 years ago?
Dale!

largecar91
10-30-2007, 08:57 AM
My T2 C6 has the ribbed alum. exhaust plate on it instead of the smooth cover like my other T2's. Also I opened one up the other day and the exhaust stuffer is open at the bottom like a stock motor but it has the correct exhaust covers on it and it is a T2 crank and block. The porting is wild with a huge tranfer port in the piston and also in the block where the transfer port is cut. It also has 2 ring pistons.

PARKER RABE
11-01-2007, 05:26 PM
damn dale , i didnt know mercury had all that stuff to bring to a boat show , im shocked ! i would of gave anything to see that stuff !!!!!!!! what else thay got ???? im not gonna sleep now !:eek:

Mark75H
11-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I think Merc brings that stuff to several AOMC meets every year

PARKER RABE
11-02-2007, 06:24 PM
stil havent slept after seeing those pics , i wonder what else was in that display ! :confused:

Bob V
11-02-2007, 07:32 PM
stil havent slept after seeing those pics , i wonder what else was in that display ! :confused:

Parker...Those pictures are nothing compared to how your Dad's shop looked back in the seventies. Rabco Marine looked more like a Mercury Racing engine facility. A sight I will never forget. :eek:

PARKER RABE
11-03-2007, 08:35 AM
i know isnt it a shame that i didnt carry it on, till today! , i kick my self in the ass everyday for that ....i wonder where all his stuff went , i remember when i was a kid , my dad would order a DOZEN twisters at a time , they would all go so quick because he would bolt them on EVERYTHING , i mean everything !, then when the 2.4s came out in 78 he would order 12 at a time , i remember riding over to lake x every 2 months or so , with the old rabco box truck , seemed like a 2 day trip to get there 55 mph , lake x seemed like a shopping mall then , biggest place on earth , , lynwood , and schwebbie , would help us load up another 12 motors , along with emmerson , and colabella , and the whole crew , the motors went so fast when u were putting 4 on a boat at a time :eek: , i have a great pic of an engine rack that had 8 2.4s on it , i hope greg has it comming out soon , we have a long way to go with all our pics
but your right bob! , that place was so coll , was like a mini lake x . twisters , stackers, t3 s, all sorts of tunnels and speedmasters everywhere !

AirRide
11-03-2007, 08:55 AM
The Rabco photo collection are some of the best record of Mercury outboards/boats of the 70's & 80's. Keep them coming! Parker, was your dad in the trucking business or something back then, to support all this fun? This is usually the case, people own other successful businesses that allow them to get into the boat business or marina business as a part-time or full-time hobby.

PARKER RABE
11-03-2007, 01:34 PM
yes we had a big family paper company business....thats what funded all the fun !:)

Bob V
11-04-2007, 07:22 AM
yes we had a big family paper company business....thats what funded all the fun !:)

As a customer for twenty some years, I knew the Parker Rabe Paper Company very well. It was a great place to do business. No doubt that I spent a "Boat Load" of money there during the 60's and 70's. Parker...All of those purchases should qualify me for a couple of free Stackers or Twisters. Let me know when I can expect delivery. :eek:

PARKER RABE
11-05-2007, 11:11 AM
bob , dont u have a lot of pics u can post of your stuff? love to see some killer shots of the magic twanger 2 with the t2 on it