PDA

View Full Version : MTX amp question

baja200merk
10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
I have an 1800w (600rms) MTX class D mono block etc. pushing a mtx 8500 12" sub. I blew the sub and got a new one under warranty then when i hooked the new sub back up the amp would hit once when it was turned on and then randomly every 20-30sec. Is the amp blown too? I even hooked the rca's from the boat to the truck amp and it would do the same thing so i know its not my truck radio.

Thanks
Kevin:confused:

flabum1017
10-18-2007, 11:42 PM
What is the gain set to? If you have it set to Max, it will clip. If not, then I would think the amp took out the speaker.... check all your connections and replace the rca line just to be sure. Does the sub have a crossover or filter that could be blown?

baja200merk
10-19-2007, 10:57 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-AUDIO-THUNDER-TC6001-1800W-Class-D-Amp-NEW-06-6001_W0QQitemZ140168533186QQihZ004QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is my amp i dono what it has lol. I have everything turned down on the amp, didnt want to smoke the new speaker as soon as it turned on. I had the amp running off of the rear left speaker because the stock headunit doesnt have RCA inputs. I plugged the rcas into the boats radio just to see if it would hit. I had the speaker runnin for a few months then one night my brother was setting car alarms off with the windows closed and it poped.

thanks
Kevin

flabum1017
10-19-2007, 11:26 AM
How much wattage were you throwing into the amp? Too much wattage going in can fry the inputs....check your manual for the max allowed and see what the stereo put out. Hopefully you didn't have that left rear hooked up to a 500 watt amp.

baja200merk
10-19-2007, 11:35 AM
I ran the amp off of the rear door speaker, and ran a 12in sub off the amp with the amp on Low pass mode (?) it sounded good. I read how to set the gain on some site they said to turn the speaker up with a song with heavy bass then turn the gain up untill it distorts then back untill its "clean". I think it clipped and smoked the coils in the sub then it took out the the output side of the amp. Is this possible? any way i could fix the amp or do i have to send it in?

flabum1017
10-19-2007, 05:49 PM
How much wattage was feeding the amp? Most amps can't handle more than 20 - 25 watts input.

Either way, sounds like you are going to have to send it in.

baja200merk
10-19-2007, 08:24 PM
I have no idea what was going to the amp. Ill send it to them next week, thanks for the help

Skatin
10-22-2007, 05:03 PM
If it keeps turning on and off then it sounds like a protection circuit is shutting it off. Make sure the speaker is hooked up correctly and the correct ohm load for the amp. Sounds like there is a short somewhere. Try a different speaker just to make sure. One that you know is good. Also I don't know how you have the speaker hooked up but if you are just using wire hooked directly at the amp make sure one of the wires didn't stray and touch another terminal..

bigbore
10-23-2007, 04:41 AM
I have an 1800w (600rms) MTX class D mono block etc. pushing a mtx 8500 12" sub. I blew the sub and got a new one under warranty then when i hooked the new sub back up the amp would hit once when it was turned on and then randomly every 20-30sec. Is the amp blown too? I even hooked the rca's from the boat to the truck amp and it would do the same thing so i know its not my truck radio.

Thanks
Kevin:confused:
Which did u try 2 hook up through the boat amp-n-sub,or were u trying 2 see if it was the head unit?sounds 2 me like its not getting the current it needs (from the battery).:cool:

bigbore
10-23-2007, 04:52 AM
How much wattage was feeding the amp? Most amps can't handle more than 20 - 25 watts input.

Either way, sounds like you are going to have to send it in.
20-25 AMPS is correct,the fuse would blow if it surged,so that should'nt happen,the problems quite the contrary,it's a mono-block amp needing high current,let me guess,it's a d.v.c coil 12 in sub (4 ohm)needing 400 watts of clean power to run it heavy,current buddy current,try the amp n sub in your car,and it should have (good) 4-guage wire going 2 it.:cool:

baja200merk
10-23-2007, 06:45 AM
I have 4 ga wire goin to the amp. I will check how i have it wired today but remember it worked for months the way it is wired. The amp has a light on it that tells you if it goes into protection, I forgot about that. Its a red light i wonder if its suppose to be green and it red cause its in protection mode...

thanks
Kevin

bigbore
10-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Somethings not wired correctly,u got gnd,remote turn on n 12 volts,can't really hook up reverse rca's

sho305
10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes I'd double check all the wiring that sounds like its turning on/off or has something grounded/not grounded that is not right. Amp could be smoked anyway, but I'd check wiring and then try to run amp on normal speaker with RCAs to test it elsewhere. Its trying to do something so it might be ok.