PDA

View Full Version : Hairline cracks

ShipBear
05-31-2002, 12:43 PM
Hey Guys, looks like I'll be around this part of the board alot..!! lol
To start with I have about 6 layers of paint on my Hull.
Only the top is thick..and Hard..!! I have ..

#1. Top Coat
#2. a tan filler coat
#3. Grey primer
All of the above was painted over......

#4. Candy Color and Clear
#5. Black
#6. Grey Primer
#7. Orig Hull....
I'm sanding it down to the #4 , with 60 Grit, then going to get the rest off with a finer Grit..

The top coat was put on way to thick. and is cracking in places..
I have about 5 spots that look like spider web cracks.. Like it had maybe been bumped. So far the cracks. VERY thin, are going thru all the paint, Do you think they will stop at the orig Gell Coat..?
I know I'll find out when I get there.. I know they should not go thru the Gell Coat.. They are not stress cracks.. Just a couple places like where some one may have stepped.. Thin Hull..
When I get down where I have the cracks out, Would I just put a layer of mat over it and fair it out..??

Thanks Larry

H2Onut
05-31-2002, 01:37 PM
Might get away with thickend epoxy (epoxy with filler added) on the top and att he glas on the backside to add streghth out of sight.

Techno
05-31-2002, 04:46 PM
Try a razor blade scraper on that thick paint. It works by shattering the paint and when it works is unbelievable in its swiftness. If it don't work, oh well. Try this in differnet parts as it may work in one area and not another. Once you get the thing going it works pretty well.
I did my Vette this way and as fast as you moved your arm a blade width of paint was gone.

It sounds more like the paint just couldn't flex anymore. You'll find out once you take it down.