PDA

View Full Version : Sea Horse 5 1/2

hrvx
05-30-2002, 09:44 PM
I picked up a Johnson Sea Horse "5 1/2" (MODEL CD-12). I believe this is 1954 model. The original paint on the motor is virtually flawless with some paint missing on the skeg, but almost no scratches or marks anywhere else. All the decals and lettering including operating instructions on the motor are perfect. It came complete with tank and original Operating Instructions book. I haven't run it yet, but it has 80lbs compression in both cylinders. The motor was owned by an engineer :rolleyes: and was stored in an attic for the last 30 years. I am told it was only used in fresh water.
Can anyone tell me what this motor is worth? I want to insure it before I put it on display. Thanks Henk

Mark75H
05-30-2002, 10:55 PM
I don't have my price guide right in front of me right now, but I think a '54 CD-12 in that condition is worth about $60 to $100. Just no demand for such a motor:rolleyes: Sorry.

I'll correct this if I find the guide and this is wrong.

Doubledog
05-31-2002, 07:49 AM
Now that we're on the subject of how much engines are worth

I have a '57 Johnson 10hp. I've owned it for almost 20 years now and all it's ever needed was plugs, impeller, changing the oil in the foot and rebuilding the carbs. Still has the original paint and stickers (though its a little faded) white paint on the prop. Great little motor and has served me well. Just currious but I'll never sell it. Last time I was home I fired it up and it still idles so slow you can almost count every time.

Like I said, just currious. Thanks

hrvx
05-31-2002, 08:50 AM
:eek: Let me know when another motor this clean comes up for $60..................:rolleyes:

Mark75H
05-31-2002, 05:20 PM
Yep!

Join the Antique Outboard Motor Club and go to swap meets. There are plenty of really nice 50's and 60's motors for sale cheap!

Like I said, its a supply and demand thing. You need to connect with a buyer and Scream and Fly isn't really the place that will get you the exposure...the AOMCI is.

Their site is www.aomci.org They even have a free online sales and wanted listing. You could go there right now and see if there is someone looking for the motor you have. AOMCI has 3,000 to 4,000 members coast to coast, Canada and Europe!

Sorry, nice paint and decals don't help an out of demand motor:(

If it was 20 years older in the same condition, you might be talking double or slightly more than double. Only very old (teens and early 20's) and POPULAR racing motors command any significant value with collectors. If you think I am very wrong, just put it on eBay with a starting bid or reserve in the range of what you believe is correct. The proof is in the pudding as chefs say....

Flat Out
06-04-2002, 01:40 PM
I've got a shed full of Johnson and Evinrude motors from the 50s and 60s. 51/2, 71/2,10,18,20,&25s. None of them are worth a great deal of money. I collect them because its fun. Most of them have come from marina junk piles.My cottage is within an hours drive of Peterborough ON were OMC had a Canadian plant. Just about all the local dealers sold OMC so there are many old motors in the area. Thes old kickers will last forever with very little maintenance. They are not rare so they are not worth tons of money.The big money motors are old race motors like the PRs and alky burning racers and racing Mercs.These motors were expensive and built in small quantities when new and were driven hard and frequently blown up. To find a complete race motor that will run is a rare find thus worth considerably more money than a garden variety fishing motor.
Example; one of my favorite motors is the 18 hp Johnson or Evinrude.These are very durable motors and run forever and 30-40 years later are very reliable, but not worth a ton.
An old Mark 20 Merc is not nearly as reliable, more difficult to find parts for and is considerably harder to find yet is probably worth a great deal more.
I'm not bashing the Merc at all, in fact I think these are neat motors. I'm just trying to illustrate the difference.
Hope this helps.

Doubledog
06-04-2002, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the insight, but I didn't expect to be hanging onto a little gold mine or anything. I was just currious. You know, it's something I'm proud of,,, though not everyone would feel the same towards an engine as I would (ie, money in the hip pocket?)
However, I havent' looked at prices of older engines in great shape. Hell, I havent' even looked at kickers period, but figured it might be worth more than the everyday beat up hanger.

Thanks once again, DD

Flat Out
06-05-2002, 07:26 AM
For me its all about fun. There is a great feeling of satisfaction when you take an old motor that has been cast away or tosed into the pile and bring it back to life. I swear I saw a motor smile once. The funny thing is the ones that are all rated out run the best maybe because they were used wheras some of the nice ones don't run as well, go figure.
I still have an 18 hp Johnson I bought from a friend when I was 16 for $10.00. This motor has had just about every part changed, many twice. It's still a favorite.
hvrx hope you have fun with the 5 1/2. Just make sure it has plenty of oil in the gas. These motors have bushings as opposed to roller bearings and the conecting rods come loose or break. They are nice little motors just don't beat it to death.Makes a nice wall decoration if it is as nice as you describe it.
DD that 10 will last forever. A real classic. It has the big 18hp type lower unit the one with the large bolt on the back, much stronger than the later ones. My son runs a '60 Johnson 10 hp w/ full 5 1/2 emblems on a 10' Sea Flea.
Someone said at the meet at my cottage "I wonder how many of todays motors will be running in 40 years from now ? "

Do your country proud.

Doubledog
06-05-2002, 08:31 AM
Flat Out,

I'd love to meet you and hear the stories behind some of the engines you have. I hear ya' when you say that you'd seen one smile,,,, Brother, that's the purest form of appreciation you can show to the sport I feel. DD

Flat Out
06-05-2002, 08:46 AM
Thanks man, I do hope we can meet some day. I would love to meet everyone. Perhaps a HUGE S & F meet someday.
I've loved boats and motors since I was a kid. And now my kids are getting into it. I love the sound of an old motor and that smell, ooh, ooh that smell. Nothing like 2 stroke in the morning.
You never forget the sound and the smell.

Return home safely