PDA

View Full Version : 70s Sleekcraft 23' "cuddy" cruiser???

RedAllison
05-28-2002, 08:08 PM
My dad is lookin for a boat and he showed me two this weekend he was looking at. A 94 Scarab 22' cuddy, SBC/Alpha One (Pristine cherry being sold by family of deceased elderly owner for $12k, tandem w/ brakes) and one being sold by a guy that works for my dad. Its a 70s (cant remember exactly) Sleekcraft jet. 23' BBC (468) with Jacuzzi pump. It seated like 10 people, had a cuddy cabin and sleep area in the front. Typical color package in 70s of yellow, white, wood grain (finish along side and top of cabin) with tan seats and brown carpet (all interior except headliner looked in excellent shape, has been redone but dont know how long ago). The trailer was tandem with old surge brakes that didnt work. The trailer had good bunks and carpet but needed total repaint (and I would replace the drums with new disc setup). The boat was complete and runs fine (tho for peace of mind I would have a rebuild kit installed on the pump for the hell of it). The owner wants $5500 and my dad thought he would take $5k for it if it was greens in a bag.
The hull (other than being dulled like a 30 year old hull would be) looks good and the bottom is suprisingly sharp, clean and straight as a board. The fiberglass swim deck had 2 small cracks but thats easily fixed. The trimtabs were stainless and looked perfect. That snap down cockpit cover was perfect and all snaps worked and it was snugged down properly at each snap. The bowrail wasnt rusty (mountain freshwater lake use from day one I believe) and all the hardware and interior components looked to be in perfect working order.
Im first and foremost a "Alliophile" but just for farts and giggles (and more room with 3 small kids and a boat load of friends and family) I might consider this boat as an "extra".
I know this thing is no speed demon (I would think as it sits now it MIGHT run 50ish loaded). But assumin I wanted to throw some more money down the toilet, would 500hp runnin through one of those new double pump jets push this party barge into the mid 60s?
Any thoughts on "Sleeks" and the price?
RA