PDA

View Full Version : E-Tec 150

Warby's Web Wench
09-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Hello all,

My first post!:eek:

I'm a friend of Ken's who looks after his website, and when the time arrises, I get to hand pump the jet fuel, and polish the bits of his boat that nobody else can reach.:cool:

Ken told me that the best place to get advice about outboards was here. We are building a 28ft (8.5m) ali dive boat. We are thinking of putting twin ETec 150s out back.

Has anybody got past the 3-year / 300-hours and has some advice based on long term running. Are these engines all that they are sold to be?

Thanks in advance.

Ken's advice was to put a Westinghouse J-34 in it, but they are getting a little hard to find these days.:D

Mick
www.kenwarby.com (http://www.kenwarby.com)

msm
09-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I've got a 2005 with a little over 400 hours, and although it's only a 40 hp and not a 150, it probably shares a lot of the same components since it's got the same bore & stroke.

As far as comments regarding long term running, I've seen no degradation in performance at all. At about 350 hours, it did start to occasioanally die at idle, and not start immediately on the first try when cold, but that problem was easily corrected by replacing the spark plugs. Comparing the old plugs to the new, the gap had more than doubled due to electrode erosion. I was also surprised at how clean the plugs were, like no 2-stroke I'd ever seen, and cleaner than most 4-strokes! I do run the XD100 oil on the leaner setting though.

Based on my experience with the smallest e-tec, I'd recommend them. They're relatively quiet, they sound good, they're 99% smoke free and virtually oderless, plus they hardly use any gas or oil at lower speeds. All in all, a huge improvement over any non direct-fuel-injected 2-stroke.

Hope this helps & sorry about the long wait for a response, but I was hoping someone with a larger e-tec would comment.

Warby's Web Wench
09-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. :)

There must be more E-Tec Owners out there who have some input. Please:o

I don't seem to be able to turn up much in the way of negative comment about them. We are looking at them because of the weight saving. We are trailering this boat, and will be right up on the legal limits for towing weight.

WWW (Aka Mick.)

150aintenuff
09-18-2007, 11:45 PM
SEa tow out here uses them and hasnt had a bit of issue... probably puts on 600+ hrs a year...

AwesomeBullet
09-19-2007, 07:57 PM
My boat has a 225HO Etec. Right at 150hrs now in 1.5yrs of use. I have had very few issues with it. At 1.9hrs a fuel line came loose on injector number one. Easily remedied. At 80hrs I had a hard start/reduction in rpms. Changing the spark plugs and having the deflector pin update performed corrected that issue. At 100hrs the gearcase was replaced due to discoloration of the paint. My rig is a show rig for the dealership and they didn't want it looking bad. BRP replaced it under warranty even though there were no mechanical issues, strictly cosmetic.

My motor sees hard use as a tournament bassboat motor. It runs either idle or wide open throttle....Has not let me down yet.;)

theoldwizard
09-30-2007, 03:56 PM
The 150 is built on the same block as the 175 and 200. Consequently they all weigh about the same. Weigh log around the weight when you don't have the power ?

I have never heard anyone complain that they have "too much power !" The opposite happens all the time. :D

Go for as much as possible !

Splashabout
10-15-2007, 12:29 AM
The 200 Is Not The Same As The 150 And 175. The 200 Has Different Porting. The 150 Is An Awsome Motor As I Have 3 Running On Different Boats Without 1 Days Problems. They Are Ho Models And All Around The 100-150hrs. They All Run Bass Applications And Are Run Hard. I Will Recomend Them Anytime. If You Are Using Your Motors For Diving And Runabout, I Would Run The Standard 150 Or Even Better, The 175. I Have A 2008 225ho On A Nitro Z9, This Too Is Awsome. The New '08 Models Are Extremely Quiet With The New Injectors.

gotboostedvr6
10-15-2007, 01:22 AM
just because it has different porting doesn't mean the blocks are different lol

ghind
10-16-2007, 06:21 AM
no but if they do have different porting, it lifts the torque curve.

This means more top end horsepower but mid range torque may arrive a little later. Mid range power is likely less on the 200 than the 150 if the porting is different.

In my experience, the smallest horsepower for the displacement is generally the best bang for buck. Eg Yamaha 150 (2.6 litre) is an excellent motor whereas the 140 (1.7 litre) doesn't have 14/15ths of the midrange torque - maybe two thirds but not much more.

There are exceptions. For example where you need peak horsepower, can't carry extra weight and the mid range is adequate then the smaller displacement is the way to go.

I think the 150 and 175 E-Tec would be excellent choices. If I was looking for a 200, I'd look towards a big block if the boat could cope with it.

I'd love to see the sales data to see which is more popular and I'd like to see why. Maybe those "200" stickers are important to people and they buy the 200 small block to get them. But I'd say go with the 150/175 or if you need more ponies get the big block.