PDA

View Full Version : what to use on my 79' J Craft

79Jcraft
09-09-2007, 12:47 AM
New to the forum...just wanted to find out from the experts here regarding painting my 1979 J Craft...there are black blotches coming through everywhere and lots of the flake is gone..seemingly it has never been taken care of since purchased (paint that is..the hull is in great shape otherwise) I am in the process of doing all the prep work and sanding down all the spider cracks before rebuilding and painting. I want to know about repainting the hull where it sits in the water...I have been told(not sure if this is educated advice) that you shouldn't paint the bottom of the boat as it will peel off...and or flake etc. Is this a fact or is this just a matter of using the right stuff...I am wanting to do candy blue...I would essentially like to do the entire boat top to bottom, is this do-able and if so what will ensure me not having to re-do it in 3-5 years?
I am also planning to do tribal graphics on the bow and maybe down the sides, do you suggest using stencils and painting or using vinyl professinally cut and clear coating over this? Any advice and or help would be appreciated.A buddy of mine is going to do all the shooting of it, he is a great body and paint guy for cars...but is new to working on boats and what to and not to use for this application. The cars he paints rarely see rain let alone run underwater...and I'd rather hear sugestions from you than his sales rep...thanks guys...

Techno
09-09-2007, 08:46 AM
I would suggest not using Kandy paint. I did and regret doing it.
Theres no reason you can't use it but the paint thickness becomes thick and you will never be able to fix an area if it becomes damaged. Being thick it is somewhat easy to damage, but you shouldn't be banging it this way.
I also sanded most of the clear coat off which Kandy needs for UV protection.
You can use Kandy its just less durable. They also have fake Kandy that might be better than real Kandy.
Kandy paint, not counting the primer is a base coat- usually silver, The coats of Kandy and then the clear coat, 3 coats of paint. This when chipped looks like a gelcoat chip, not a paint chip. I also added tiny glitter so there is another clearcoat/glitter coat

Stencil or sticker. I lean towards the sticker simply because if you get tired of it or sell it its an easy fix. You might be able to do more with a sticker than a stencil also, shading or whatever. I don't know about the idea of clear coating it though?

You can use paint but it should be the 2-part catylized type.

Not for everyone but I now like the method of sticking with gelcoat and flake/glitter. You can base paint the boat in a single color using colored flake/glitter to make the other color or colors. Or use gel colors. I like the looks of the glitter color though, if you haven't seen it check it out.

If your buds done cars then a boat is easier. He don't have to worry about the hull rusting.

79Jcraft
09-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Just a thought...as i regulary look around at stuff online..i came across some blue and black carbon fibre....can I lay this on the deck around my whole boat?...will it stick to glass?...just curious..if it does i may invest in enough to do the whole upper half of the boat and maybe paint the bottom only....

79Jcraft
09-12-2007, 02:25 PM
anyone?....

JCraftMuskoka
09-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Hows your core? I'd be sure it was rock solid before I painted, you can't really repair them in a J, and I've seen more then a few that have called it quits.

Cheers,

79Jcraft
09-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Hows your core? I'd be sure it was rock solid before I painted, you can't really repair them in a J, and I've seen more then a few that have called it quits.

Cheers,

My boat from front to back is solid as a rock...only thing i am not happy with is they moved the original gas filler hole from the drivers side closer to the middle of the deck at some point....apart from that you can walk across the deck and it doesn't even remotely move until you are on the edge of the dash even then it is quite solid...there was and is still a lot of spider cracks but i am in the process of sanding them out, its one hell of a process....thank god for power tools and a buddy with a dirty ass shop who doesn't mind the dust...the previous owner had the flor redone 4 years ago and that too is in fantastic shape...I went over the boat with a fine tooth comb before I bought it..I shoulda looked closer at the motor mind you but they are easier to fix and or ditch and replace

Techno
09-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Just a thought...as i regulary look around at stuff online..i came across some blue and black carbon fibre....can I lay this on the deck around my whole boat?...will it stick to glass?...just curious..if it does i may invest in enough to do the whole upper half of the boat and maybe paint the bottom only....

You can do this but it will be expensive. You'll have to come up with some way to treat the seams so they look nice.
Then it needs to be clear coated with a UV proof clear. West systems also has a UV hardener for this type of application.

EXSTREAM EH!
09-19-2007, 02:52 PM
J, welcome to the board. Just my 2 cent's I would call John Spath At hydrostream CA. He has the molds for the J crafts. He still builds em too. You are not to far from him. He also will let you help work on your boat if you want to . He can tell you all you need to know about what will work and what won't. Just a thought. Phone call is cheap :D Good luck and post some pic's

EXSTREAM EH! Gone

RBT
09-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Cheers,

John replaces the core in them all the time, as a matter of fact they are one of the easiest core jobs you can do.... flat straight bottom.

RT

79Jcraft
09-20-2007, 05:38 AM
all the interior work was done by the previous owner bout 4 years ago...not sure who did it but the boat itself is rock solid and 0 problems other than gel is faded through

JCraftMuskoka
09-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Sorry RBT, I thought John had said you couldn't, maybe he was refering to the 17 with a step, though I don't know why that would be different . . . Or maybe I wasn't listening well - I heard about that all the time when I was a kid.

Cheers.