PDA

View Full Version : laptop question

Wile E. Coyote
09-01-2007, 06:08 PM
k, dumb question, gotta dell laptop, when changing from ac power to dc power (battery) do you need to shut down or does the ac power buffer through the battery, effectively making a surg protector? same thing when the batt is low, do you need to shut down or can you just plug in and keep going, and also once the battery is fully charged, is there some sort of circut that stops the charging of the battery and prevents overcharge? i.e. can i leave it plugged in for days and not hurt the battery?
bill

transomstand
09-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm on my third laptop, I normally leave them plugged in all the time. I've never shut down to unplug or plug in. Never had any power or battery issues. Since the adapter is DC only, probably not much, if any surge.

Pete

flabum1017
09-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Unplug it, plug it in........ no need for reboot. Plug and Play dude........

Scream And Fly
09-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Bill, yes - it has overcharge protection. As a rule, I'll unplug my laptop if I'm not going to use it for a few days, but otherwise it will stay plugged in. I only use Dells. You do not need to shut it down to switch power modes. :)

Which model did you get?
Greg

Wile E. Coyote
09-15-2007, 08:58 AM
ive got a dell, inspiron b130, i upgraded to 1gb ram,(maybe adding an extra gig, depending if dell charges me for the second one they accidentally sent) and installed a intel wireless card....which i have noticed, if the puter is plugged in, and im on line, if i unplug the computer, while on line, for whatever reason, it shuts off the wireless connection, you have to turn it on, (press fn + f2) which is why i posted the inital question, i thought maybe a minute voltage surge was disrupting the works causing the card to drop the connection

btw got that router you recomended and it kicks butt....thanks
Bill

transomstand
09-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Something's not right, I do that all the time, and I don't drop my connection. Internal card, or one you stick in the side of the laptop?

Pete

Wile E. Coyote
09-15-2007, 12:13 PM
internal card....not a big deal, just turn in on again, and all is right with the world once more....