PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude E-Tec 200

stingray240cs
08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi,
a good friend of mine has a Champion Chase 580 with a E-Tec 200.
Is there a way to increase the power of the engine by "Chiptuning", other software etc.?
Any ideas?
Thanks for all hints
Roman

racer
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Not at this time. Is it a 60 or 90 degree version?

Riley7
08-31-2007, 11:55 AM
The standard E-tec 200 is a 60 degree engine, and the 200 H.O. is a 90 degree engine. The 200 H.O. is an animal, pushing out somewhere in the neighborhood of 218 pshp.....and it's based on the same engine as the 225 and 250.

stingray240cs
09-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Hi.
Thanks for your reply´s
Yes,it´s a normal 200 with 60 degree block. We had to take it bs. of the lower weight.
Roman

theoldwizard
10-05-2007, 08:07 AM
The standard E-tec 200 is a 60 degree engine, and the 200 H.O. is a 90 degree engine. The 200 H.O. is an animal, pushing out somewhere in the neighborhood of 218 pshp.....and it's based on the same engine as the 225 and 250.
Hmmm .... I didn't know that !

I always thought the 200 HO used the 60 degree block. There is a "lightning" gear case available for this size engine, so why would they make a 200 HO on this block ?

Riley7
10-05-2007, 08:33 AM
To answer your question, the standard 60 degree 200 HP is really at the limits for HP production out of the 60 engine at that displacement. You would see a slight increase in performance if you put the standard 200 powerhead on the gearcase from the 150 H.O., perhaps 2-3 mph.

When you jump up to the 200 H.O., you're into an entirely different family of engines.

AwesomeBullet
10-05-2007, 11:15 AM
200HO was geared towards bassboats such as the Stratos 294XL that could really benefit from the increased displacement (3.3L vs 2.6L) to get their heavy arses out of the hole...;)

goodride
10-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I had to write,about the e-tec 200, because last night I finally got a chance to run my 1993 allison river racer, with the small block 200.
one trick is to add some more air by drilling 3 holes in the airbox .
we did this and last night my problem was hitting the revlimiter at 6000, and having to back way off to stay off the limiter.
my top rpm was 6155, banging the limiter, running a 26 allison cut chopper. dayaam, I gotta find a 29 rx at least, to find more speed, and know I'm gonna blowout if i find much more speed.

My motor, is a "demo" and i have 2;13;18, hours on it now, and only 31;56 break in time.

gotta put my old v-6 gearcase on with a bobs. allison set nose cone and go out again.

The motor ran great!!!!!
joel

theoldwizard
10-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I had to write,about the e-tec 200, because last night I finally got a chance to run my 1993 allison river racer, with the small block 200.
one trick is to add some more air by drilling 3 holes in the airbox ...
What does that do to the idle ????

goodride
10-05-2007, 10:06 PM
at idle, the engine uses much much less than the total amount of air available thru the airbox...so nothing changes at idle/low speeds, but
forever an engine needs enough air to match up with the available fuel, to make the most power. when you are wound up

just like in nascar, with the restrictor plate engines... under whatever carburator you want, if the incoming air has a point of restriction,..that restriction, is the amount of horsepower you can make

on an old 25 evinrude , there was a 20 horse restrictor kit, to allow a horsepower output of only 20 horsepower...
.the kit, was........a gasket...instead of a hole as big as a quarter, the 20 hp kit had a hole as big as a nickel....

fuel injected, 2 stroke, 4 stroke,, whatever...,..the air and fuel need to be about 14 air to 1 part fuel, the stochiomeric ideal fuel ratio( spelling). so a stock motor sometimes had the airbox, intake air restricted to hold down the horsepower.
like an old 200 gt...... pull the restrictor , from the airbox add some fuel with bigger jets, to match up to more air, and find some more power..

so with a computer controlled dfi, or efi engine or a carburated motor the manufacturers, will build in a bit of restriction. on incoming air thru the air box.......yep, drill 3 ----1 1/2 holes in your e-tec airbox..and find 100/250 rpm possibly....

like earlier in this topic, the guy mentioned a chip, or electronic tuning aid for an e-tec............got more air....need more fuel, and rpms ..
well, i got rpms, just not enough prop. and for now we cannot adjust the injectors for more fuel.,or get much past 6000 due to the rpm limiter

for me, right, now,.......like the sound barrier for a jet plane.... a lower unit can only go thru the water so fast, before a big air bubble gets to your prop..and BLOWOUT.
..thats what nose cones, and the merc speedmaster/ sport master type gearcases do for you....thay allow the water to stick to the lower unit and cleanly get to the prop at speeds over about 85 mph.

.only reason, i'm writing, is that after a few years, i got out in my old allison, again, and with ONLY a 200 e-tec..small block.

.uhhhh lets just say, i'm liking life again...

..and would like to take the old racer, to the absolute limit, the e-tec injectors, the e-tec rpm limiter( 6000...6050...) will take me

more to come.......need the nose cone before the prop, so i can keep the right side up

and like most everybody here at scream and fly...just looking for more

and gonna keep looking,here with this setup to try and get the most out of the small block e-tec
goodride

goodride
10-11-2007, 10:42 PM
ok so now
i have run the small block e-tec, to the rev limiter, with a 26 chopper, drag prop, nancy at allison got for me.........back in "93

6155, rpm limiter poppin, 5950 clean...way backed off
RIGHT NOW Im' THINKIN" ABOUT ..........BLOW out ! !

I found my old...virgin 29 sst rx, and thought I would raise the e-tec,...up 1/4 inch and see what happens, since i have 30 plus water pressure now, slip on the 29 rx, and go see if i can still tap the rev limiter, with my foot down.! with 3 more inches of pitch on the prop

a 29 inch prop, at...about 6000, in my mind is nibbling at BLOWOUT

uhhh ohh but wait.....!!

brp stock gearcase....... uhhhhh......its been a while since I drove...any boat....much
over 60 mph and i know 6000, with a 26 chopper is much more than 60 something...already...
my old ally rode straight and true, and the new hi-po seastar let me drive it instead of aim it like with the
old criss cross ride guide
but for now, I just want to ride out my old allison, and to be ....not scared of, but aware of whats to come, and find , lets say... a very good top speed with....A .......TECHNOLOGY ENGINE

10... years ago we sold ....bullit bass boats,...the first year of the merc 225 efi?

well i was wound up in a black and yellow, bullit, you know just testing it before we delivered it to the customer,
I saw 82 mph.........
and noticed that my hands on the wheel were...way off to a left, and i was going straight, and then .....bang to the right bang to the left, and ride it down, backin' off ez.......do not chop the throttle settle it back down........

I"M thinking BLOW--OUT

I , in my mind think that 10 years ago, i rode out...A blow out in that bullit

so now with a 29, if i can get near the 5950/6000/6050.. i am thinking that i may nibble at..........BLOWOUT... and want to be ready before i need to be ready.

if any of you guys have crossed thru this barrier, and can help me out with advice, please write back..

i probably will make a run tomorow,, and will be thinkin about..BLOWOUT,, since i'm gonna run the stock gearcase 1 more time , with the 29 rx

we run down here in fort lauderdale, and a couple days ago i noticed the back lakes at markum park are open again..... but it is only , maybe 150 feet wide in some places.

anybody passed the speed a stock gearcase will run, , and have any input for someone getting there

I have to make this one more run, and then i will find the right specs for slipping my 10 year old bobs machine /allison cone, gearcase on the e-tec....I think i need to change the driveshaft, and shift shaft,.. and then use the e-tec gearcase alignment tool when swapping gearcases.

i watch the scream and fly, and want to be apart of scream and fly...and Imagine this

100 mph with a small block e -tec that would do it for me!!

I wish and I hope everybody has a wish, for........................A
goodride

ghind
10-16-2007, 06:42 AM
goodride, I agree that air restrictor kits are a common way to reduce horsepower. Less air for the same amount of fuel makes the engine run richer. This will not hurt engine reliability.

Taking a carefully considered design and increasing the air input at high RPM would lean out the air fuel mix. Lean engines make lots of power but also run hot and risk blowing up. Only the Yamaha two strokes use oxygen sensors to adjust the fuel map. All other engines, as far as I am aware use a no feedback fuel map.

Obviously a small increase in air will more likely carry little risk (and give little power). Worthwhile power would surely greatly increase the risks?

So, I can see that increasing airflow will increase power but aren't you risking your powerhead?

goodride
11-24-2007, 06:34 PM
hey bud....at least you wrote back, and have an inquiring mind..

yeah and with a carb motor. any motor....give it more air.........give it more fuel. ...give it more compression,,all for giving it more rpm...
.thats more...... power!..........
yeah to give yourself MORE SPEED

thats right!

e-tec...computer........6000.....limiter
REMEMBER!!! rpm....= power
........not gonna give the warranty away, YET
and just like your pickup, or go kart.....
let it breathe,,
and ..for now I just need more prop,, and the ability/setup, to handle it

and ....see whats up....with the little 200.E