PDA

View Full Version : Water cooled and Oil

mr_velocity
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Just picked up a new boat with a Fuji BT-24 gas marine motor, can I run Alisyn 2 stroke oil in or do I need to find another oil. This is our first RC boat.

moparbarn
08-24-2007, 02:51 PM
that's a good question. most of those motors are based on an air cooled design, converted to "marine" use. not sure if twc3 or air cooled oil is right. you might check at jimsrcboatdock-mostly gas rc boats. might have to join to get in. no biggie, about like signing up here. a lot of good people and info there. intlwaters is another good site, but more nitro oriented. both are nothing but rc boats, and very good resources.

TheRickster
08-24-2007, 05:56 PM
I always ran YamaLube in my Quickdraw..

Rick

flabum1017
08-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Most of the RC'ers use Amsoil Saber 100-1 at 32:1 ratio http://whobbies.com/engine-oil-news.htm

mr_velocity
08-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Since I didn't get a clear answer I thought I would step up and run some Klotz in it. Placed an order last week, they email today saying (with excuses) they're not sending it out until today. I need to run this weekend, so I ask if there is a local dealer, they couldn't even give me a dealer in my area. I hate them already, too bad cause I would have been using their Vtwin in my velocity, 28qts per change every 20 hours (3 times a season). Cancelled my order too. Guess I'll just run the Alisyn and hope she don't blow, its a good oil so I guess I'm ok.

My patience for companies that can't service customers is zero.

Stoker1
09-02-2007, 02:06 PM
For an aircooled engine, I'd run aircooled oil. Run it fairly heavy & let it eat. (8oz - 1 gal)

flabum1017
09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
:rolleyes: .................... :rolleyes:

Stoker1
09-03-2007, 12:28 AM
& you wanted to say.....?:rolleyes:

flabum1017
09-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Since I didn't get a clear answer .

& you wanted to say.....?:rolleyes:

I thought I gave a clear answer.

Stoker1
09-03-2007, 01:31 PM
That you did. :)

Tom Foley
09-10-2007, 08:42 PM
For an aircooled engine, I'd run aircooled oil. Run it fairly heavy & let it eat. (8oz - 1 gal)

Good advice ! I run Honda HP -2 but any high quality oil will work fine .

flabum1017
09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
That's like saying ...... aw just run 10w40 in your Cat 3208 and you'll be fine.

For each motor and applicationn, there is a right oil. These high output R/C engines won't run for long on " any high quality oil ". Some of these engines may have started out as air-coole, but they have had water jackets added to them thereby reducing the operating temps. If you were to run air-cooled oil, it would not burn off as readily as it would in a hotter air-cooled engine. You would quickly wind up with a very sludgy engine and stuck rings or even worse, a seized engine. TCW-3 or any other two cycle oil will burn off too fast since they are rated for a lower tep.These motors are about 200 - 300 a pop and for recreation use, that would get expensive fast.

Your best advice is to take it from the pros. The link I provided is from the pioneer of gas R/C boats. Tony Castronova of Warehouse Hobbies was the first to produce and sell Gas powered R/C boats. Personally, with his experience.......I'd listen.

Tom Foley
09-15-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm not just talking out my azz , been doing this a long time with every imaginable engine . I repeat any high quality 2 cycle oil ( mixed in these ratios, 8 oz per gallon is what most top engine builders recomend ) will work fine and provide great engine life . for example most die hard quickdraw guys will want to use synthetic Racing oil intended for karts and motocrossers . Most die hard Zenoah guys love Mercury premium plus . I have gone to using Honda HP -2 , their finest 2 cycle racing oil in all my gas motors (all Full Mod motors ) .
No doubt , Tony knows his stuff , He is like the Godfather to gas boating , no disrespect intended !

Stoker1
09-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Tom, speaking of Tony... I helped him design the new failsafe/killswitch thats coming out. :) Actually, I came to him with the idea to produce it in the US. A few phone calls and emails later & now we're waiting on the first batch for retail. Can't wait.

I believe in Tony as one of the best guys in the hobby. :)

Tom Foley
09-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Tom, speaking of Tony... I helped him design the new failsafe/killswitch thats coming out. :) Actually, I came to him with the idea to produce it in the US. A few phone calls and emails later & now we're waiting on the first batch for retail. Can't wait.

I believe in Tony as one of the best guys in the hobby. :)

Great Idea on the failsafe ! That sabre oil is really great stuff as well , I know a few that run it 32:1 in their 260's and 280 's .

Btw , I am still slowly repairing my Cajun Bullet Quickdraw rig that got eun slap over at the Tampa race back in March !! Boat did not have one scratch on it , i'm dead in the water , race won , and this hammerhead ran it over full tilt !! There were only the two of us left running and he was already beat !! Thats racing I guess !