PDA

View Full Version : New Nikon D3 and D300 announced

Scream And Fly
08-22-2007, 11:14 PM
They look very impressive. Looking very good so far...

D300 (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond300/)

D3 (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082312nikond3.asp)

Shaun K
08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
The FF D3 looks awesome but really warrents their two new FF lens (14-24 & 24-70) I bet each is close to 2k. Then sport shooters have to address the FF sensor making their 70-200vr a real 200mm instead of the 300mm on x1.5 dx sensor. So now sports shooters need a mega dollar 200-400vr F4 or 300 2.8 to get their reach back ? I'm a bit suprised Nikon went FF, its also says it has dx lens compatability but at 5.1mp (crop mode I assume) so thats worthless. I would have thought Nikon would have done the dx & FF sensors on the two new cameras in reverse. And a Nikon cmos sensor ? is it by sony ? I only read "nikon design" .. Its got to be made by sony ? All In all its great Nikon charged back into the upper end dslr market. One leader is no good for anybody ..So when you ordering the D300 ? :rolleyes: :D Or are you dropping 11k on a D3 & 200-400vr ? Both cameras look great !

Scream And Fly
08-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Myself, I have no pressing need for a full frame camera body - I only shoot sports. :) I'll probably get both, but full frame on the 70-200 will be enough for me anyway. To me, the D300 looks more impressive than the D3. Same AF system in both, and it's not so large and heavy. The D3x should be more interesting, as that's likely to be the "high-res" flagship model.

Remember that DX sensors (or any other cropped sensor) doesn't give a lens more reach - it's just the field of view that's affected. So, you're getting the same reach you always had, just with a larger frame. I'm also most curious about the D3's high ISO performance (although I'm not a "noise obsessor"). If the D3 can give 5D-like image quality and sensitivity, it will be a winner. :D

I believe Nikon designed and manufactures the CMOS in the D3, but I'm not sure about the D300. The D300 may have the same chip that was used in the D2x, which I believe was also Nikon designed and produced.

Greg

hsbob
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
dont forget the 12 fms rate that got to be great action shots.

Scream And Fly
08-23-2007, 02:24 PM
dont forget the 12 fms rate that got to be great action shots.

That's cool, but for fast boats, 5 FPS is really the most I need. Nice to have the faster framerate available though. Right now I'm watching B&H and Ritz, waiting for the preorders to start, then I'm in!

Shaun K
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
That's cool, but for fast boats, 5 FPS is really the most I need. Nice to have the faster framerate available though. Right now I'm watching B&H and Ritz, waiting for the preorders to start, then I'm in!

As far as i know B&H doesnt do them. At least with the MKIII they didnt. I was lucky to get mine in early June, somebody on dpr said a batch was in so I was johnny on the spot and grabbed one of 120 cams. All 120 were sold in 40 minutes..lol I need to speak with you or maureen about copyright stuff and possibly selling or giving photos away..A few people have contacted me about selling some city shots and I just dont know whats involved ..Also, how could I protect myself if I just gave some out for personal use and they decided to do something commercial with it ?

Shaun

Scream And Fly
08-24-2007, 02:51 AM
I need to speak with you or maureen about copyright stuff and possibly selling or giving photos away..A few people have contacted me about selling some city shots and I just dont know whats involved ..Also, how could I protect myself if I just gave some out for personal use and they decided to do something commercial with it ?

Shaun

Shaun, if you want, PM me your number and I'll call you about that...

Greg

hsbob
08-24-2007, 10:12 AM
shaun take a look here for some of the information you wanted

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1014