PDA

View Full Version : Custom Windshiled

Checkmate2.5
08-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi guys. I'm thinking about making a custom windshield for my Rallysport but since Ive never done anything like this before I figured I would ask for some advice.
I found this site that sells plexiglass in all diffrent colors and sizes. They say it is easy to heat and bend and it's pretty cheap so why not give it a try.
http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/85259/sesent/00/ACRYLIC-SHEETS---EXTRUDED---Plexiglass

I know I've seen some nice looking custom windshields on this site, but Im wondering if it is going to be too hard to do.
How should I start this project? Are there any special tecniques, or rigs I should use to bend the plexi?
I still have the old windshield, I was going to use that as a template, once the new peice is cut it out, Is it just as simple as heating it up (w/ a heat gun) and bending into shape? thanks
Geoff

This is what I would like to make but w/ red plexi.

Techno
08-22-2007, 12:47 PM
I haven't done anything as big as a windshield but have melted and burned/bubbled plenty of plasic projects.

You can do it like you think but just a few things on the techniques.
Dial the heat gun down. You don't need or want 900* temp when the plastic becomes plastic at like 300*. Your heating one side, that is conducting to the backside. So you want a low enough heat to give it time to do this and time for you to react if your getting the surface too hot. halogen trouble lights might work also but take a lot longer but more control/larger area. Haven't tried them on this though.

Cutting it, assuming a jig saw, needs a moderate tooth and moderate speed of reciprocation. Too high a speed or tooth and it re-welds itself in the kerf. Too coarse and you get sloppy, the saw starts bouncing or it simply grabs and cracks. If you have to drill it get a plexiglass drill bit. You can modify a normal type but for many holes its not worth it. A regular drill becomes a wedge when it breaks through and its 50/50 whether you break it or drill the hole.

Both of these things can be done on scrap though so neither is a biggy. You can learn the method before you commit.

When you do cut the shape out put tape on the plastic so you don't scratch it with the saws shoe. I have tried taping the shoe but you can still scratch something this way if it gets imbedded in the tape. This also allows marking it without marking the plastic.

You can also etch it like sandblasting it through a template. Not sure if this is any good for your app but it is an effect you can do for names or designs.

I have seen other threads on this so a search might find them. Usually they were screwed as their windshield was broked and didn't have it for a template.

That site only had 1 red color to choose from, unless you don't want to see through it.:D Its easy to like the nice red color and not notice its translucent. The only red looked so red it might be too tinted. It would be worth a call or sample to check it out.

Racemore
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi guys. I'm thinking about making a custom windshield for my Rallysport but since Ive never done anything like this before I figured I would ask for some advice.
I found this site that sells plexiglass in all diffrent colors and sizes. They say it is easy to heat and bend and it's pretty cheap so why not give it a try.
http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/85259/sesent/00/ACRYLIC-SHEETS---EXTRUDED---Plexiglass

I know I've seen some nice looking custom windshields on this site, but Im wondering if it is going to be too hard to do.
How should I start this project? Are there any special tecniques, or rigs I should use to bend the plexi?
I still have the old windshield, I was going to use that as a template, once the new peice is cut it out, Is it just as simple as heating it up (w/ a heat gun) and bending into shape? thanks
Geoff

This is what I would like to make but w/ red plexi.

yes ,made several,dont get it too hot though.where you cut it you can flash the edges with a small torch and it will smooth it and take the sharp edge off without sanding it.you can work it with a file first if you need to.:cool:

Cobra1racer
08-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Cutting plexy is a pain in the a--. I used Lexan on my Z for the front and rear windows. Heck I even cut it with a course saw blade. I've seen guys at the track using window tint to darken it and the colored stuff as well, for the tops. It just bends easy, cuts easy and drilling is a snap. The plexy cracks easy and will melt back together right behind the blade. And it stands up better to that drunken buddy that falls on it.

Techno
08-26-2007, 06:24 PM
And it stands up better to that drunken buddy that falls on it.

Which? The coarse saw blade? plexi or poly?:rolleyes:

Checkmate2.5
08-26-2007, 09:51 PM
:rolleyes: Thanks for the tips fellas.

I was planning on using a cutting disc to cut the plexi. Not sure if that would work but I have a jigsaw as well.

Do I really need a special dril bit? That sounds silly but then again I havent tried it before.

I will definitely get 3x more than I need, sose if I screw up I wont be in da hole.
The windshield slopes back, but around the area where it curves is what Im worried about. Im hoping It bends easily enough where there are no problems.

Could I (carefully) use a couple of blow tourches instead of a heat gun?

It apears that the last owner, or his buddy fell on the windsheild and broke it.:rolleyes:
Thanks
Geoff
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/checkmate414/327.07007.jpg

Checkmate2.5
08-26-2007, 10:01 PM
That site only had 1 red color to choose from, unless you don't want to see through it.:D Its easy to like the nice red color and not notice its translucent. The only red looked so red it might be too tinted. It would be worth a call or sample to check it out.
Might be worth a sample, I would like to know how translucent it really is.

Techno
08-27-2007, 09:04 AM
You can't use a blow torch. A cheap heat gun is only about $30. You could if you've done this for years I suppose.

The drill is needed if you have a lot of holes to drill. A regular unmodified drill bit is garanteed to crack plexi.
You can also run them in reverse to melt through but this would be for only a few holes. The bits are only a couple bucks. I don't think a windshield would have any holes though?

No cutting disc (high speed?) A jig saw. A circ saw with a special plastic blade or a regular blade put on backwards.

Translucent! You want transparent. Translucent is like a bathroom window, lets light through but can't see through it. That site had several nice reds but they were translucent. I think it only had 1 red transparent.

Tom D.
08-27-2007, 03:09 PM
You can also use a gas grill to heat it up.

Tom

Checkmate2.5
08-27-2007, 11:02 PM
You can also use a gas grill to heat it up.

Tom
cool I might try that. Good tip:cool:

Checkmate2.5
08-27-2007, 11:04 PM
I know the diffrence between transparent and translucent:rolleyes: I dont really care about seeing through it. Heck my checkmates had 5% limo tint, I couldnt see through that and got by. Its mainly for looks

Checkmate2.5
08-28-2007, 12:05 AM
like this one

Techno
08-28-2007, 08:31 AM
I was going to ask if you had to see through it the first post but figured you did.
If you don't why not paint it? You can use Kandy paints to get a nice color on it.
Too bad it wasn't clear since you could paint it on the inside for a 1/4" of clear coat.;)

Checkmate2.5
08-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Thats actually a pretty cool idea too. Something to think about I guess

Cobra1racer
09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
My lexan came in a tube, yup 4' by 8' sheet rolled up in a tube. Much better than plexy. Cost is a little higher, cuts and drills like Pam Anderson. That would be real E Z.

Blizz
09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
I would go with the lexan like Cobra said it is great stuff super easy to shape and it will not crack like plexi will.

Checkmate2.5
09-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Cool thanks. Dose anyone have a link where I could see some of these products? Ive done quick a search and couldnt find the color I want. I dont want to paint it, that would be a last resort thing.
thanks
Geoff

Checkmate2.5
09-12-2007, 01:35 PM
My lexan came in a tube, yup 4' by 8' sheet rolled up in a tube. Much better than plexy. Cost is a little higher, cuts and drills like Pam Anderson. That would be real E Z.
Do they have a nice red? How thick is this stuff? Price isnt a concern really. Thanks