PDA

View Full Version : Unistall folders in Windows

Glenn
08-17-2007, 05:24 PM
We needed to quickly free up some room on my office PC so our IT guy deleats all my unistall folders in my Windows folder. Computer works fine. I'm looking at my home PC and I got over a gig of them. Safe to remove them? What are the draw backs?

Glenn

Scream And Fly
08-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Glenn, the Uninstall folders are used by Windows Update. I would not remove them.

Greg

Glenn
08-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Good advice Greg! Had a problem today with my LAN. "limited or no connectivity". I had brought my machine out to blow the dust out of it. Boot it back up and everything works A1 except the error above for network connection. Swapped cables etc.. no luck. Back up PC hooked to router was still working fine. Figured it ain't the router(wrt54g). Thought maybe it was an update I did recently and remeberd I almost deleted those files!:eek: Any ways, disabled the on board LAN and put in an old D-Link card I had laying around and alls good. Seems I didn't need those files but I'll take your advive and leave 'em alone. Still not 100% sure it's a hardware problem though.

Glenn

Scream And Fly
08-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Glenn, that error can be caused by many things. It's possible your machine is not being assigned an IP address on the network (common on home networks). First thing to try is rebooting the cable modem and the router, in that order. It's usually a software issue. WRT54G is a good router - even better if it's an older model. My current home routers are D-Link DGL-4300s (http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370&#DGL-4300) - the only way to fly! The best consumer router in existence. Gigabit means you can stream HD content easily. It can handle hundreds of open connections concurrently, but that sucker gets very hot when I load it up for hours like that. :)

Greg