PDA

View Full Version : 4 Stroke

ciao!
08-13-2007, 11:09 AM
In a couple of years time, I understand that the UIM Class 3 will have to run 4 stroke engines.

I am really interested in your ideas / views on how the boats will perform.

To get the "ball rolling" i noticed that the 4 stroke substitute Yamaha for class 3B is 50 kg heavier and plus 10 hp.

Having raced one or two 3B boats I know that 50 kilos can cost an Argo Cat 17' with a Yamaha 90hp (2 Stroke) at least 8 km, and cause balance issues.

Look forward to your thoughts.

BluFin
08-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Ah but thats only UIM................. Think that will just about kill the fleet and they will be all off to join the revolution with the WPPA or another offshoot.
Whilst the crop of engines are impressive from a technical point at the end of the day the "nut cotton" is power/weight ratio & it would have to be one heck of a stroker too come close. Certainly as class III is concerned the boat designs are not suited to these engines at the current times and a rethink would be required. Sure Honda have run the test cat with Cougar and I think the jury is still out on that one
Dunno where it will go John a lot depends on Merc & the "Rude" as to what they develop 2 stroke wise if they continue down that route.
I'd be more tempted to dump a life long love of meercs & go get a E-Tec before a 4 stroke but thats just me.
Aghhhhhhhh! all them valves, springs, cams, shims. long live the reed block :D

gazza
08-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Yamaha are having big problems with the larger 4 stroke, My mates a main dealer Last year sold 2 x 300's and both blew top pistons, warranty has covered this, but a bit worrying for someone who is just about out of warranty who does'nt use the boat that much I.E. could be a problem waiting to happen.
I had merc 150 / 200s for years only problems i had were gearbox's etc
went to yam's ( 2 strokes ) about 5 years ago never had any probs, and i go out in all weaters all the year around, i have maybe just been lucky,
The four strokes, the larger ones away are still too heavy.

VectorPat
08-18-2007, 06:09 PM
300 4 strokes????? Do you have them over there?

gazza
08-19-2007, 04:48 AM

Today i'm the village idiot,:o
Just checked, Sorry they are both 2 strokes( 2006 models), i took it they were 4 strokes, have not seen the hoods off i see them sitting on this rack every week, i've been offered one for £4000 but the problem is still there,how much time until it drops the top pistons again?

BluFin
08-19-2007, 04:58 AM
MMMh challange for my title eh. 4 strokes biggest is the 275 Verado.
Range is pretty much the same you have there.

gazza
08-19-2007, 05:38 AM
:D
I must get my facts right BEFORE i post my reply

I think this covers it

VectorPat
08-19-2007, 09:10 AM
No problem gazza;) :) The 300hpdi has been a pretty good motor since all of the updates. There is a new oil pump update that just came out about a 3 weeks ago that effects all of the 3.3ltr hpdi. Make sure your mate gets his done.

ciao!
08-19-2007, 01:12 PM
What exactly is the law on selling 2 strokes in europe? Are they going to be banned as I have been told?

BluFin
08-29-2007, 02:41 AM

Do now Yamaha 350 (5.3 Ltr) ..................804lbs EEEK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VectorPat
08-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Beleive me I know about the F350. He mentioned a F300 which I know the U.S. doesnt have. I thought maybe there was something different on the international market that I didnt know about.

BluFin
08-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Unlikey we have anything extra, youv'e got the largest market

LIQUID NIRVANA
04-21-2008, 06:39 AM
What exactly is the law on selling 2 strokes in europe? Are they going to be banned as I have been told?

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Who told you that??