PDA

View Full Version : Glastron Molinari Restoration

Scot Keller
08-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Glastron Molinari Restoration

I’m helping a friend restore a circa 69/70 Glastron Molinari and I need help form the community. We have loads of questions and could use some expert advice.

We are aiming to restore it “in the spirit” of the original with some realistic additions. It was originally fitted with an Evinrude 100. We have most of the components to recreate the engine, all be it as a 150. It has an authentic mid section, geared lower unit, pan and cover. However we are missing the engine cover gasket and need help identifying the original engine paint color. We could also use some insight into prop sizes.

I have a gazillions of questions regarding set-up. The boat was never equipped with power trim. While we want to stay true to the period, these suckers do go over. Consequently we are going to install trim. Does any one out there have a lead on an old OMC electric unit?

I have tons of questions regarding rigging. Gas tank size & fittings, gauges, steering, paint and decals all need to be sorted out. We would greatly appreciate any help you can provide, including pictures.

This is turning out to be an exciting project that we hope to get done in short order. Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Scot Keller & Joe Schulte

Carlson150XS
08-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Photos would be a start. Great project!

KG4
08-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I would also love to see some pics of the old girl.

Bob V
08-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Speaking of Glastron Molinari restorations, has any one heard any thing about the 21' Glastron Molinari twin (pictures below) that Kim Cleckler bought back in the spring of 2006 to restore? I was hoping to see that one up and running by now. He was going to put a set of stackers on it. :eek:

Scot Keller
08-12-2007, 05:15 PM
I'll try to get some pictures up within the next couple of days.

jlf56
08-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Scott, Good luck on the restoration. I worked at the Austin, Texas Glastron factory. Drove the twin Molly. I just talked with Bobby Witt from Baytown, Texas about your project. He drove for Evenrude(sp) back in the late 60's and 70's. He can give you absolute details of what they were rigged with. I gave him the address of Screan & Fly and hopefully he will be on board soon. Check the serial # for me and mabe I can give you some history on that hull. The # should be located about where your left knee would be when sitting in the seat, possibly close to the tunnel floor.

Joe Fielder

Scot Keller
08-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Scott, Good luck on the restoration. I worked at the Austin, Texas Glastron factory. Drove the twin Molly. I just talked with Bobby Witt from Baytown, Texas about your project. He drove for Evenrude(sp) back in the late 60's and 70's. He can give you absolute details of what they were rigged with. I gave him the address of Screan & Fly and hopefully he will be on board soon. Check the serial # for me and mabe I can give you some history on that hull. The # should be located about where your left knee would be when sitting in the seat, possibly close to the tunnel floor.

Joe Fielder

Thank you everyone for all the help.

Joe: I'll post the serial # as soon as I can get it off the boat. Thanks for speaking to Bobby Witt. He would be a welcome addition to the board.

Attached are the pictures I promised to post.

Scot

Bob V
08-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Scot...Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Obviously it needs quite a bit of work to bring her back to her original form, but it will be well worth the effort. I hope that you post your progress on the site as you proceed, unlike Kim Cleckler who made a big deal of posting his story when he first got his Glastron tunnel to restore and never posted again. It will be interesting to see if any members know the history of this one. Happy Restoration..:)

Mark75H
08-19-2007, 08:33 AM
The bits of yellow showing thru the red make me think it was originally this paint scheme, but the shape of the cowling in front of the cockpit does look like the red and white boat. Those 2 details may narrow this boat's identity. The red and white boat has Rideguide steering, yours was set up with cable like the yellow boat. What is the name painted on the side? It looks a little bit like Berghauer, but at the same time, it looks like the g and h are reversed. I bet Joe and Bobby can tell a lot from these details.

jlf56
08-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Mark 75H,
The picture you posted is the "first" 18 ft Glass Molly. The picture was taken from the top of Mansfield Dam on Lake Travis, Austin, Texas in 1969. It was published on the Glastron booklet for Molinaria's that year. There was a second boat just to the left of the single, it was the Second glass twin, I had already destroyed #1 at Smith Mountian lake, Va. that spring. In the picture, I was driving the twin and Gene Piehl was driving the single.
You are right on about the cowling. It has been modified at the back. All molly cowlings were rounded all the way back, no flare or hump. Also, all 18 ft galss boats were made at our California factory, Art Carlson Boats was bought out by Glastron and they built all Glass Molly's. They all were Yellow with Black trim. We, "Glastron Factory Team, Gene Piehl - Single 18 ft and I 21 ft twin, used the cable steering at Renato's suggestion. The boats all came bare hull with no steering or engine mount holes.
The large hole between the engine mount holes tell me that either a Johhy-Rude or Merk. could have been used last. Several ideas were used from time to time for power trim on both engines and this hole for one ram through the transome was one.
Also notice the sponson (rear view), it has had a strake added to the upper outer edge. This gave the boat a higher ride in the rear but did not over the rocker bottom problem of "nose too high" attitude. I can tell you some almost unbelievable stories about strakes on both the single & twin.:eek:
Scott, The Yellow & Black are in the Gel-Coat. All added colors should be able to be removed if you want the original color.

Regards, Joe Fielder

Mark75H
08-19-2007, 09:58 PM
The brochure Joe refers to:

Scot Keller
08-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Joe/Mark 75:

Thanks again for the great information. You guys are a big help.

We recognized the rear cowling issue. Fortunately it is a relatively simple add-on that should be easy to remove. The plan is to strip the red paint and take it back to the original yellow with the black stripes and factory stickers

The last engine was a Mercury but, interestingly, did not have any trim. Joe had the hole put in the transom in preparation for adding a ram style trim set-up.

The strake is new news. Do you think it will help or should it be removed?

scot

jlf56
08-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Scot,
The added strake will give a little rear lift to the boat and make for a smoother ride in rough water. If you want an original Molly, remove it. If you are going to run or race the boat, add another strake in the middle of the sponson. That is, half way between the added one and the bottom of the sponson (tunnel wall). If you use a right hand engine, make the right strake (looking from the back) a minus 5 degrees (from level to the world) and the left strake plus 5 degrees. This combination will hold the hull up in the turning "left" situation and smooth out most rough water.
Also, "Jack Plates" weren't around back then but if I were setting this boat up I would use one as well as power trim. The plate might save you from blowing over while running into the wind. The rooker bottom design was supposed to run nose high.
While looking at the sponsons if you use a straight edge you should find a hook at the back of about 1/4" or more. DO NOT TAKE THIS OUT. This is what holds the boat to the water. There were some folks that did and they put it back in, after they blew over a time or two !! :confused:
Also, would you mind lookin in the round hole in the transome and tell me if the transome is made of plywood or Balsawood ?? Somewhere out there is a Hull we called "Light Weight". Art Carlsom made it as an experment, as was the 21 ft I crashed at Havasu in 70. The only plywood in the boat was the deck supports from the top of the tunnel to the deck. He used Alu. aircraft honeycome for sponson filler and Balsawood for the transome. The hull weight, as best I remember was 270# bare w/ cowling. I took this boat to Havasu in 1971, it was #44 I painted it white (over the original Yellow) and painted "Wonder Where The Yellow Went" on both decks. (That was a personal thing between Bob Hammond & me). I had added the two strakes we are talking about and the boat was a screamer. We saw 101 + MPH at Havasu with a fuel load. Only problem was the right hand turn at the start finish line, the strakes held it up too much. Running 100 + MPH sideways it a bit un-nerving !!! :eek:
Blew an engine at about lap 12 or 14. Another "Rough Going " award from Havasu (1970 & 1971) I sold that hull while Don Pruitt and I had Stoway Cove Marina in St. Pete Fla in 72 or 73, can't remember. Never heard what happened to that hull.
Need to get back to work ! Remembering all the racing history makes my back hurt :D

Have a good day, Joe Fielder

jphii
08-20-2007, 09:11 AM
That boat looks familiar. Did you get it in Holly, MI?

Edit: I just saw the pics on BRF and recognized the barn. I knew that one looked familiar.

Fish
08-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I sold that hull while Don Pruitt and I had Stoway Cove Marina in St. Pete Fla in 72 or 73, can't remember. Never heard what happened to that hull.

Have a good day, Joe Fielder

Joe, do you remeber a st. pete guy named jack staples?

jlf56
08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Fish, The name sounds familiar but no face to go with it. Where would I have run into him? There were a lot of guy's that I met through Don. Randy Rabe (Parker's Dad) Eddie Medly, Hugh Doyle, Billy Clark (Stoway Cove Marina) and others.:confused:

Fielder

Fish
08-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Fish, The name sounds familiar but no face to go with it. Where would I have run into him? There were a lot of guy's that I met through Don. Randy Rabe (Parker's Dad) Eddie Medly, Hugh Doyle, Billy Clark (Stoway Cove Marina) and others.:confused:

Fielder

Sent you a pm

Scot Keller
08-21-2007, 06:27 AM
That boat looks familiar. Did you get it in Holly, MI?

Edit: I just saw the pics on BRF and recognized the barn. I knew that one looked familiar.

You are correct jphii ................

Scot Keller
08-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Joe:

Yikes.......100 plus going into the right hander at Havasu. Having been there myself from 70-73 I saw some hairy things. That must have taken large, well, extensions. :eek:

Sorry to report that the boat is cored with plywood not balsa. I hope the "light weight" is still out there.

Your bottom tips are very helpful. Left on my own, I too would have taken out the hook. Since Joe plans to run the boat at vintage events I'll take a close look at the strake angles when we get it turned over.

Thanks,

scot

Tim Bennecker
08-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Scott -

The consumate "expert" on this hull would be me................

This boat was shipped back to Detroit MI from LakeBay WA many years ago after sitting in various backyards and weed patches for years. I'm the idiot who painted it red. Underneath, you will find the original yellow / black gel coat. I would advise against stripping it down because the boat took a beating by various owners who used it to chase and net herring schools in Puget Sound......to the point of putting sand embedded paint on the deck!Painting it to its original color scheme would be best. It's original owner (delivered as a new boat from Glastron) was Dick Sharp, who ran an Evinrude Strangler on the hull (1969?).Further, the cockpit sides were re-glassed higher (cut that stuff back) and the blip in the aft cowl was added to make a Mercury 1500XS look shorter. (grind that thing off!) I ran the boat 2-3 years in Sport J and held my own against shorter wood Sport J hulls. I shocked the local race OPC race club when I showed up to race something that they thought had ended up in the city dump. The "Glastron / Molinari" logos on the side are hand-scaled replicas of what I could find in the 1970 Glastron sales brochure at the time (vinyl computer generated graphics didn't exist....only commercial lithographs. I don't agree with the comments about the rockers. The sponsons were blueprinted with a straightedge and I could run that thing on its tail all day long (nose slant aligned level with the horizon) and I have old Kodak slides to prove it! The original drum / cable steering was cut out and replaced with Mercury break-away steering (new technology at the time). The boat never had a trim ram splash well. The hole thru the transom (T-1/2X?) for a trim ram is new to me. My 1500XS had externally mounted ski-boat style trim rams. That boat spent a period of time on the bottom of Lake Stevens after Sharp blew it over. I'm assuming that you got the hull from JE? Maybe for fun, I"ll take some digital photos of some large color photographs I have (running the boat in 1977) that are hanging in my den? From 1977 to 1984, that boat was garage-stored out of the daylight and weather.

jphii
08-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm assuming that you got the hull from JE?

That's what I was talking about. I saw him Sunday at a race in PA and he said it was gone. Good luck on the restoration. That's gonna be one fine boat when you get it finished.

Tim Bennecker
08-21-2007, 06:34 PM
JE came out to the west coast with a huge truck and picked up several OPC hulls that were destined for the land fill. This Glastron Molinari was the last pick up stop before JE headed back to MI. I never really thought I would see thsi hull again.........JE called one night to see if I wanted it back (no thanks.....too many toys in garage)....... but If I could have a Glastron / Moli, I have a very unrealistic wish...........would love to have Reggie Fountain's 21 foot twin.........JE said that Bob Hammond has that one locked away deep in some warehouse..............

Tim Bennecker
08-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Joe -

I have been wondering for 30 years where that famous shot was taken! That page of the Glastron brochure currently sits under framed museum quality glass in my office. Whatever became of the 2+2 recreational hull that was also in the brochure? Was the CT-15 considered a "different product" offered for sale in the brochure in comparison to the Glastron / Molinaris? Who was in the CT-15 shot (Twister powered).......someone told me that it was Dick Shearer.

Anyway, as a kid, I always wondered who those supermen were that got to drive those yellow dream machines! Now, I know who!

Mark75H
08-21-2007, 07:01 PM
It is Dick.

The CT-15 has completely different heritage than the GlasMolis; it is basically a Carlson semi tunnel converted to full tunnel and racing cockpit riveted on. Few racers other than Olegator (Jim Hunt) were able to get them to turn well in competition.

MN4V
08-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Scott -

The consumate "expert" on this hull would be me................

This boat was shipped back to Detroit MI from LakeBay WA many years ago after sitting in various backyards and weed patches for years. I'm the idiot who painted it red. Underneath, you will find the original yellow / black gel coat. I would advise against stripping it down because the boat took a beating by various owners who used it to chase and net herring schools in Puget Sound......to the point of putting sand embedded paint on the deck!Painting it to its original color scheme would be best. It's original owner (delivered as a new boat from Glastron) was Dick Sharp, who ran an Evinrude Strangler on the hull (1969?).Further, the cockpit sides were re-glassed higher (cut that stuff back) and the blip in the aft cowl was added to make a Mercury 1500XS look shorter. (grind that thing off!) I ran the boat 2-3 years in Sport J and held my own against shorter wood Sport J hulls. I shocked the local race OPC race club when I showed up to race something that they thought had ended up in the city dump. The "Glastron / Molinari" logos on the side are hand-scaled replicas of what I could find in the 1970 Glastron sales brochure at the time (vinyl computer generated graphics didn't exist....only commercial lithographs. I don't agree with the comments about the rockers. The sponsons were blueprinted with a straightedge and I could run that thing on its tail all day long (nose slant aligned level with the horizon) and I have old Kodak slides to prove it! The original drum / cable steering was cut out and replaced with Mercury break-away steering (new technology at the time). The boat never had a trim ram splash well. The hole thru the transom (T-1/2X?) for a trim ram is new to me. My 1500XS had externally mounted ski-boat style trim rams. That boat spent a period of time on the bottom of Lake Stevens after Sharp blew it over. I'm assuming that you got the hull from JE? Maybe for fun, I"ll take some digital photos of some large color photographs I have (running the boat in 1977) that are hanging in my den? From 1977 to 1984, that boat was garage-stored out of the daylight and weather.

Here are some good videos from Wa state racing in the 70's. http://www.assist.neptune.com/#

(go to #39 David M Potter, Northwest Racing 1971-1972, some Glastron Molinari's and #133, Boat Racing Film. (Nick Springate videos) Very Cool videos!!!!
Mark

WaterZebra
08-21-2007, 09:29 PM
MN4V -
These videos pre-date my entry into racing by about 5 years. It kind of tugs @ my emotions because Dave Potter passed away this year from leukemia. Dick Sharp passed on several years ago. I would see Dave Potter again in 1986 when I blew over my SST120 Seebold (before safety cockpits were mandated by the APBA) while testing @ Lake Tapps WA. I broke my leg and finger (got caught in trim switch bracket as I was ejected from my seat) and they loaded me up in an ambulance. As I lay there on the gurney while a paramedics are taking my race gear off (and cutting up my brand new jumpsuit), I hear this chuckling coming from up in the driver's seat and it's Dave Potter at the wheel driving the ambulance........Dave is saying something like "way to go Tim"...who's drying the motor out?, etc.
TB

Mark75H
08-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Here are some good videos from Wa state racing in the 70's. http://www.assist.neptune.com/#

(go to #38, Northwest racing 1971-1972 some Glastron Molinari's and #132. (Nick Springate videos) Very Cool videos!!!!
Mark:(

Could find #132 but can't view it, can't even find "Northwest racing ..." something else is #32 now ... at least when I view the site

Not the best site to host :( You should get your money back

jlf56
08-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Tim,
The 2 + 2 was a flop ! Renato brought a prop with him to demo the hull in Austin. The boat worked just like it did in Italy when they showed it ti Bob H. Renato took the prop with him and we never got the to work with anything we did, props included. One of our Engeeners, Robbie Robinson blew the thing over a time or two but never got it to go !!!
As for Reggie baby's 21 ft glass Molly, was that the red & black one, his first ??? If so, Art built that for me after I crashed the first one in 70 at Havasu. We set it up in April of 71 in Austin and it never came close to the numbers we saw with the first one (I'm talking about the super light weight no plywood hull) I ran two races and Hammond disolved the race team and sent me packing. That, to my knowledge, was the only Molly that was not Yellow / Black and the last light weight to be built. When I left Glastron I took the light weight single I spoke about earlier and raced against Reggie (red twin) in Houston and finished ahead of him in the U class race. Louie Baumann of Houston had designed me a three blade progressive prop that was awesome on that single. Is Hammond still alive?? Would be interesting to know if he still has the bat boat, banana boat & three point hydro in reverse that we played with in the 60's. Those were definately the "Good ole days".

Fielder :D

Tim Bennecker
08-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Site link works just fine. #38 and #132 are still there. #38 has actual video of a running Switzer wing...........check your video viewer settings on your PC............

largecar91
08-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Very cool videos!!!!! I have been looking for footage of one of those boats in one of the videos for quite some time!!!!:D

T2x
08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
The only 21' twin Glastron/Moli I ever saw Reggie run was a white hull with red metalflake stripes that he pulled with a similarly colored Corvette. This was the first boat I ever saw him run and I remember thinking....."Now here's a showoff".

Come to think of it, I never really changed my opinion.:p

T2x

Tim Bennecker
08-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes.......that's the hull I remember too..........this was the same hull that was in a photo inset in Mercury's 1974 product brochure

MagicFloat
08-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Bob Hammond is still around in Austin. Talked to Art Carlson last week.Would be cool if we could get both of them on this site.I have Art's #,I will tell him about S&F. Lots of good memories these 2 legends could share with us.Robert Nelems

jlf56
08-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Majicfloat, Please tell Art to E-mail me !! jlf56@zamigo.net I haven't talked to him since 1972.

Fielder

jlf56
08-22-2007, 09:38 PM
T2x
You & I share the same opinion about him !!

Fielder

mbd29
08-23-2007, 06:38 AM
I talked to Bob during the EAA flyin a year ago. Hadn't seen him in probably 20 years and he didn't look any different than he did then.

willabee
08-23-2007, 09:18 AM
As for Reggie baby's 21 ft glass Molly, was that the red & black one, his first ??? .....That, to my knowledge, was the only Molly that was not Yellow / Black and the last light weight to be built.

First shot is Havasu, 1970.....white and light, driven by Bill Petty and Tinker Collinge. By the way, wasn't Tinker the first Glastron Team driver for the single?

Second is Reggie, Havasu 1971.....his first year of racing. It's not a color picture, but carries the #74 (not his famous #76) which makes me think this is his first boat. I don't remember a red & black and I thought he ran the traditional yellow with black at that race, but this one might be white with red. The third shot is him winning the Nationals in 1972, appears to be the same paint scheme with a number change (maybe that's when he went to white with red).

jlf56
08-23-2007, 11:13 AM
The 1970 Havasu boat was the one I mentioned. It was the second "Light Weight" and was white with red. I said earlier red & black but I was wrong (again) White boat w/ red stripes I think. Anyway, That was the boat we set up in April 71 and I raced it at Galveston and I think one other, can't say for sure. Bob and I got crossways about that time over my attitude toward Rudy Ramos and the race team was disolved. Bob GAVE the boat to Reggie and Harold helped him for time on setup ect.
As for Tinker, who was a class act of his own, He first drove for us at Parker in 69. He was my relief. Drove Harold crazy !!! I was 5' 10" 135# and Tinker was 6' ??" 250# + Toward the 3:00 PM mark I blew a lower unit and the trim went out on one engine. In the pit for repair Tinker was screaming "pin that engine in the 5th hole & I was screaming 2ond hole !!! Anyway we survived. Finished 6th and had a ring side seat to see Bobby Witt do his thing at the finish line. Talked to him last week and we had a good laugh about the finish. Tinker might have driven a single with Dick Sheera & Art but Gene Piehl was the single driver for the Austin factory team.

Fielder

Tim Bennecker
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Does anybody actually know where this hull actually is at this time? Also, I noticed that nearly all of the photos of this boat show engines with the traditional "wrap-around" cowls on the back. I'd swear that the photo inset in the 1974 Mercury sales brochure shows Reggie's boat with T2 type "drop over" cowls on the back. Can anyone elaborate on this configuration?

largecar91
08-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Does anyone know anything about the "Wing" in the video??:confused:

willabee
08-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Also, I noticed that nearly all of the photos of this boat show engines with the traditional "wrap-around" cowls on the back...... I'd swear that the photo inset in the 1974 Mercury sales brochure shows Reggie's boat with T2 type "drop over" cowls on the back. Can anyone elaborate on this configuration?

You are right that the Hi-Performance brochure shows Reggie's boat with a TII, but it's not his 21' twin Glastron/Molinari..... it is a 17' single engine Molinari.

Tim Bennecker
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Willabee -

No..........it's not the same photo..........if you look in the fishing motor brochure, Mercury brags about it's U-U & T class national championships and it shows (2) photo insets........one with Bob Hering in a wood sprint Molinari and the other is Reggie's Red/White 21 with engines that have some type of T2 drop on cowls............I'll try to find the catalog in my old keep sake outboard stuff box.

Powercat
08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
I saw Wings in 2 of the videos.. the one of Testing at Parker from 1974 was
Bob Massey in his #140 The other one #T414 I did not recognize from any of the
photo records I have seen but was in the Northwest Racing 71-72 video.
Danny Leger

Does anyone know anything about the "Wing" in the video??:confused:

jlf56
08-23-2007, 08:11 PM
I thought Bobby Massy was killed at Elsinor Ca. in 1970 driving the first "S" hook that Renato brought to Havasu ??? Some one help my memory here.
Thanks, Fielder

largecar91
08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
The T414 is the one I was asking about.

Mark Poole ModVP
08-23-2007, 09:18 PM
There was also a pic in Powerboat Magazine of Reggie's twin at the Parker race around the time that the OMC rotary was racing. It did have what looked to be T2's on it. This was at the same time Mercury Racing was throwing a lot of effort behind the KT boats to combat the rotary. That was the last time I ever heard of Reggie racing the twin boat. It could be that Mercury gave him a set of T2's for that same reason, to have powerful boats to beat the rotary.

willabee
08-27-2007, 04:05 PM
There was also a pic in Powerboat Magazine of Reggie's twin at the Parker race around the time that the OMC rotary was racing. It did have what looked to be T2's on it. This was at the same time Mercury Racing was throwing a lot of effort behind the KT boats to combat the rotary. That was the last time I ever heard of Reggie racing the twin boat. It could be that Mercury gave him a set of T2's for that same reason, to have powerful boats to beat the rotary.

Here is the picture Powerboat used in May, 1973 covering the 1973 Parker 9 Hour.....the one where OMC ran it's rotary. Reggie has the conventional wraparound cowling on his twin, just doesn't have the faceplates installed.

I don't know if anyone at Merc even knew that OMC had the rotary prior to it's introduction to the public February 23rd, 1973. Parker is an March, leaving only a couple of weeks to think about what to run against it. Twin C6's on a 21'Glastron/Molinari probably wouldn't have been a good idea.....what do you think jlf56? I'd like to see the picture that Tim Bennecker mentioned is in another Merc brochure, maybe someone did put a pair of those bad boys on his twin for an event other than this Parker race.

The way I saw it, the Merc KT was a seperate project and had been started before the introduction of the rotary. They just happened to meet head-on during their respective development times at the Provo 250 and the KT did manage to get the best of it. The KT raced past all four of the rotarys entered.....the 1st time anything other than a rotary had passed a rotary when running properly :cool:. Merc was trying to develop a new "for sale" package for KT and Offshore racing.

Tim Bennecker
08-27-2007, 04:55 PM
The photos posted by Willabee have me doubting that T2's were ever on the back of this boat. The photos were definitely shot at the same event that the 1974 fishing motor inset was taken. In ths brochure photio, I think it's the funny turn angle of the motors, the "basic blue / thin stripe" paint scheme of these cowlings and NO faceplates installed that give an illusion (from a distance) that T2 drop-on cowlings were used. Mystery solved. Where is Scott Keller? I'd like to know more about what's going on with my old boat?.........we're trying to dig up old Havasu programs that show this boat (and Johnnie Sander's twin Moli) were running side by side in 197X? I may be in error about Dick Sharp's power for this Glastron Molinari......the motor was still an Evinrude, but a "pre-Strangler" model................

warrior74z
08-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Here is the pic from the '74 brochure.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x258/warrior74z/Image1-131.jpg

T2x
08-28-2007, 07:39 AM

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x258/warrior74z/Image1-131.jpg

He looks normal height in that photo...must have been sitting on a phone book.:p :p :D ;)

willabee
08-28-2007, 09:14 AM

Thank you, now I see where the idea of TII's on this boat came from :).

Tim Bennecker
08-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Yep!.............that's the photo! And when it was shrunk down for the catalog inset, the motors tend to "blend" together...........and the only thing (by default) it ends up looking like is the T2X (especially with the mid sections).
So, back to the original question.........where is this boat today? I keep hearing that Bob Hammond has it in his possession...........

Mark Poole ModVP
08-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Are the sponsons on that boat "constant curve"? If they go flat it must be only the last couple feet.

Scot Keller
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
The photos posted by Willabee have me doubting that T2's were ever on the back of this boat. The photos were definitely shot at the same event that the 1974 fishing motor inset was taken. In ths brochure photio, I think it's the funny turn angle of the motors, the "basic blue / thin stripe" paint scheme of these cowlings and NO faceplates installed that give an illusion (from a distance) that T2 drop-on cowlings were used. Mystery solved. Where is Scott Keller? I'd like to know more about what's going on with my old boat?.........we're trying to dig up old Havasu programs that show this boat (and Johnnie Sander's twin Moli) were running side by side in 197X? I may be in error about Dick Sharp's power for this Glastron Molinari......the motor was still an Evinrude, but a "pre-Strangler" model................

Tim: Scot Keller here. All the background information has been very helpful. The remove the hook, keep the hook, discussion was particularly insightful. Currently the motor parts are winging their way through the paint process. As suggested, Joe is going to paint, not gel coat, the hull back to the original yellow. Despite the obvious dings it is in remarkably good shape and should clean-up nicely.

I’ll post more as the project proceeds.

Scot

Raceman
09-05-2007, 08:27 PM
There's another oddity in that picture that nobody picked up on........... The engines either have T2 mid sections, or BP's with the old bolt pattern powerheads they require. No question there are the narrower metal wraparounds like std inline ran instead of T2 cowls, but the mids raise interesting questions about what's on top. Could it be that that's why there're no faceplates????? Maybe 6 carbs hidin' under those cowls;) WITHOUT the T2 exhaust plate (which I dont think would go under the std wraparound and pan, but don't know for sure)

largecar91
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
RACEMAN, I AM GETTING READY TO TRY TO PUT A T2X POWERHEAD ON A SHORT 150 MID. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS GOES. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU CAN FIT ONE UNDER AN INLINE WRAP OR IF I WILL HAVE TO USE A LIFT OFF COWLING. :confused:

Raceman
09-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Actually I did that back in the 70's, but can't remember about the cowl around the exhaust. I know that I initially ran it with NO cowl, and finally ended up with a T2 cowl on it. I also remember that I had to cut the steering arm off, which didn't matter because I was running cable/pulley/wing steering anyway, but can't remember if I had to cut the arm because of the T2 bottom cowl/pan or the bottom carb.

I'm thinkin' I had the exhaust figured out with maybe a little whackin' on the bottom pan, but can't recall now for sure, and I do remember that I never ran it with the std inline type cowl, even after I fooled with it a good bit.

largecar91
09-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks, I Was Wondering About The Steering Arm. It Looks Close.

Raceman
09-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I Was Wondering About The Steering Arm. It Looks Close. If it won't fit because of the lower carb, rather than the pan, and you're gonna have to cut it, let me look and see if I still have the whacked one layin' around. As hard as SS parts are to find it's a shame to whack up one unnecessarily.

largecar91
09-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I am not cutting the steering arm. If it won't fit because of the steering and carb clearance, then I will use a T2 mid to test this powerhead. Really I am rebuilding some T2x powerheads and was going to use my Checkmate with the short mid on it as a test bed for break in as it is rigged and water ready and I thought if it work work I would use it. Plus it would be kinda neat to see how fast I could get it going with a bigger powerhead.:D

390r
12-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Your boat was originally purchased new by Dick Sharp\Bryant Corporation out of Seattle WA. It is a 1969\70. I was crewing for my uncle's during that era and saw it run at all the local races that season until it blew over and broke Dick's leg. He continued to run it the next season until teaming up on a new boat for the 1972 season. That boat used an Evinrude as the Bryant Corp was the OMC distributor I believe (I was 15 so I'm dusting the cobb webs off).

Scot Keller
12-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the background 390r. Welcome to Scream & Fly.
Every little bit of information helps. The Glastron is about to get rolled into the shop for her full body makeover. There’s a lot to do but Joe is set on having it done by spring.

More pics soon.

Scot Keller
02-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Here is an update on Joe’s Glastron. After a couple of weeks in the cue the team at Sankuer Composite Technologies (www.sankuercompositetech.com) got to work. (BTW- if you need some world-class composite help in Michigan, gives these guys a shot). It’s really great seeing the original yellow color show itself. Note that we trimmed the cockpit sides back to the original shape. The rear cowl is back to the original too.

As is the case in a restoration project like this we found the transom wood has spots of rot. The wet wood was encapsulated deep inside. The new transom will be installed this week.

In addition to making sure the structural integrity was sound one of our objectives is to make sure the boat stands tall cosmetically. To prevent the inevitable cracks from the old resign reappearing it will get a thin glass veneer on the decks. It will not add much weight but will make a nice stable base for the new paint.

The next challenge we need to address is the dash. Since we are taking this back from the inline six power to the OMC KC we need to plug the existing holes and figure out the period OMC set-up. My recollection is that boats from this era didn’t have “race” instrumentation beyond the trim indicator. I would appreciate it if anyone could confirm this assumption. If it did have a tach, which one would they have been used on an OMC KC?

390r was kind enough to help us with some information regarding the history of this boat. We are told that it held US 1 title at some point. We have some Sherlock Holmes to accomplish but we’re hoping to bring it back as it was when Dick Sharp owned it.

Hey 390r………… I really understand the cobweb comment. I too was about 15 at that time.

We’re having fun with this one. Thanks for all the help guys.

scot

Zonkercraft
02-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Looks GREAT, Scot!
It REALLY is nice to see the yellow finish again. The boat would have had a tach, and a water pressure guage. The also would have been a Keller Speedometer mount block on the dash. That would have been about it.
The boat will be a showpiece. and would make anybody proud!

Zonkercraft
Vintageopcracing@aol.com

WaterZebra
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Scott -

I just dug up a 30 year old Northwest Tunnel Boat Racing program. It has a photo inset from the 1969 World Championship Race at Lake Havasu. Your boat (driven by Dick Sharp) is running next to Cesare Scotti in boat #33. Dick Sharp's number was #511 and the number was painted on a black background oval / circle atop the deck black stripes about 20 inches forward from the transom. I don't know if this information might come in handy if you intend to restore it to the OEM condition when Sharp raced it.

Backfire
02-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I just had 45 minutes of 8MM film made into a DVD of this race. It's shot from the bank, no editing, people walking in front me, '50's hand wind camera. On a 52" sony 1080 HI-DEF it has some good shots-WINGS, MOLINARIS, GLASTRONS, JONES, HALLATT, FELLER, STACKERS BY THE DOZENS, OMC, CHRYSLER, SINGLE,TWINS, TRIPLES. Kitson blowing a lower unit on Saterday.
Oil smoke so thick on the start you could hardly see and late in the day. If Greg doesn't object, I will sell a copy for $30.00 delivered. Give me a PM.
Backfire ;)

willabee
02-18-2008, 04:30 PM
The next challenge we need to address is the dash...... My recollection is that boats from this era didn’t have “race” instrumentation beyond the trim indicator. I would appreciate it if anyone could confirm this assumption. If it did have a tach, which one would they have been used on an OMC KC?

Came across some film of a 1969 Molinari doing some testing. Since that is the time period of the Glastron/Molinari you are working on, thought I'd try to get a shot of the dash for you guys. I can't help with what the OMC may have used, but at Merc at that time there was (left to right) a Keller, water pressure, tach and a trim gauge. I'd guess that all that was used on the 1970 models at Racing was a Keller and a trim gauge.

Here's a shot of the boat and a couple of the dash.....not good shots, but you should be able to get the idea. Good luck on the restoration project, it will be a great vintage rig to play with :cool:.

T2x
02-18-2008, 05:09 PM
In most cases, we put the harness plate ( included kill switch, fuel pump, ignition, choke/prime, and start switches) on a cross member at the base of the seat cushion between our legs (very easy to hook up the kill switch cap dangling from a lanyard on your life jacket). You would also have a foot throttle..right side and a foot rest ....left side. Later an "up" switch for trim would have been used on the left foot rest.. The steering wheel should be either chrome or spun aluminum spokes. You mounted rocker switches on each spoke for trim. The outside of each switch was "up" and the inside was "down". We had a coiled wire harness (like a spring style telephone phone cord) wrapped around the wheel hub and then wired into the trim system. (Earlier dash mounted trim was a pain in the *ss and dangerous to boot. I mounted the Keller speedo hanger in the middle of the wheel and ran the trim indicator horizontal across the top of the dash in my Glastron Molinari. I think we used Faria tachs at that time, but Merc may have stepped up by then with their own.

If you can find a break a way steering kit from a later hull, I strongly suggest that you modify the boat to use that. It will cut down on injuries should the worst happen.

T2x

Bob V
02-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi Scot...Here is another Merc dash set-up. The dash set-up on the Mercs and OMCs were essentially the same. In the first picture you can see the blue face of the Keller speedo on the right. In the second picture, directly to the left of the Keller mount, is the tach. The trim indicator is behind the "bent" :eek: steering wheel on the left side. The trim rocker switches are mounted on two spokes of the steering wheel. The kill switch is on the lower right hand side of the dash in the second picture.

Scot Keller
02-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Bob:

Perfect. This squares with the feedback we have been getting from the others. We have an original blue face Keller but still need to determine what a “period” OMC tack would be.

Thanks………..

Scot Keller
02-20-2008, 12:28 PM
T2x:

Thanks a million for the post. The trim set-up you specify is exactly how we rigged my Dad’s Schultz and Scotti boats in the day. Since the KC was pre-up/down we will not need the toggle on the combing board. The current switch location is between the legs at the front of the seat as you called out. I think we’ll leave it there. I'll also start looking for the tach you mentioned. You make a good point on the break-away steering. We were going to take it back to a fixed hub on the dash but will take a second look at the safety issue.

Again, thanks a million. Scot

Scot Keller
02-21-2008, 09:01 AM
As promised here are some new pictures of Joe’s Glastron. The ugly “aero” hump on the back has been removed and the bodywork is progressing nicely. Now that we are down to the yellow color we can clearly see the original stripes. They will be replaced exactly as it was from the factory. Next week the Sankuer Composite (www.sankuercompositetech.com)guys are going to build a jig to keep the boat square while they replace the rotten transom wood.

Fulltilt
02-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Wow, I wonder if that company could build a race cowl for my Ct15 and convert it back to a center steer race boat like it was originally?:cool:

Sunburnt
02-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Very Cool project. What was the approximate dry hull weight on one of these boats?

Jeff

Zonkercraft
02-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow, I wonder if that company could build a race cowl for my Ct15 and convert it back to a center steer race boat like it was originally?:cool:
They could...if you had a plug or a mold
They do fantastic work!

Zonkercraft
Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Zonkercraft
02-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Very Cool project. What was the approximate dry hull weight on one of these boats?

Jeff

The boat weight is about 750lbs with no rigging. Yes I weighed it..
Zonkercraft
Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Fulltilt
02-21-2008, 01:35 PM
A plug or a mold and money!:D

I wish I had a mold though.

They could...if you had a plug or a mold
They do fantastic work!

Zonkercraft
Vintageopcracing@aol.com

opie see
02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Patrick Sankuer and his guys at SCT can create a new piece without the mold...just supply them a photo and the dimensions...they'll do the rest.
Contact Patrick at the shop 586 725 1870. Check out the website at www.sankuercommpositetech.com (http://www.sankuercommpositetech.com)

Zonkercraft
02-23-2008, 09:10 AM
CT-15 Carlson

Zonkercraft
Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Fulltilt
02-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Hmmmmm......I wonder how practical ...oops, I already know it's not practical to try to restore my boat?

See what you guys do Zonker.

Get me dream'in about more ways to spend money.

WaterZebra
02-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Scot -

Here is a scan of the race program photo that you wanted. Your boat is number 511 in the foreground..........

rnelems
02-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Patrick Sankuer and his guys at SCT can create a new piece without the mold...just supply them a photo and the dimensions...they'll do the rest.
Contact Patrick at the shop 586 725 1870. Check out the website at www.sankuercommpositetech.com (http://www.sankuercommpositetech.com)

You misspelled the link, it's www.sankuercompositetech.com

Mark75H
03-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I just had 45 minutes of 8MM film made into a DVD of this race. It's shot from the bank, no editing, people walking in front me, '50's hand wind camera. On a 52" sony 1080 HI-DEF it has some good shots-WINGS, MOLINARIS, GLASTRONS, JONES, HALLATT, FELLER, STACKERS BY THE DOZENS, OMC, CHRYSLER, SINGLE,TWINS, TRIPLES. Kitson blowing a lower unit on Saterday. Oil smoke so thick on the start you could hardly see and late in the day. If Greg doesn't object, I will sell a copy for $20.00 delivered. Gve me a PM.
Backfire ;)

Backfire, I am very happy with the video. The variety of boats and motors than ran at that race is amazing. There are a lot of legendary boats and racers in the video. I'm pretty sure in addition to the boats you mentioned I saw the rare Powercat Danny is looking for pictures of, both McDonald OMC tunnels with the OMC stackers, 2 Eis Supercats, 2 Dutchman tunnels, several Schulzes and a probably a Scatcat. There are 5 or 6 different Wings, 4 or 5 Jones triples (maybe 6, I knew about the 3 Merc factory entries, but there are more triples besides the factory team!). I think at one point the man standing in front of you was Joe Swift. Someone who was there could probably put more names on the people.

The variety of locations and angles keeps it from being boring ... you have by chance what producers and editors strive to create.

Jimmy Johnson
05-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Speaking of Glastron Molinari restorations, has any one heard any thing about the 21' Glastron Molinari twin (pictures below) that Kim Cleckler bought back in the spring of 2006 to restore? I was hoping to see that one up and running by now. He was going to put a set of stackers on it. :eek:

Bob,
I know this boat well.Please call me, I have lots of details and history on this boat.615-776-5210
Jimmy Johnson

mark benson
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
The Switzer Wing # T-414 was called Jellybean, had Mercury stackers, & raced in the Pacific Northwest in the late '60's-early '70's. Driver so far unknown. Mark Benson-Producer www.gosee.tv/boatracing (http://www.gosee.tv/boatracing)

mark benson
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Dear Scott- While going thru my super 8mm film of outboard tunnell hull racing in the Pacific Northwest in the early '70's, I stumbled on footage of # 157 Dick Sharp's yellow Glastron Molinari with the Evinrude X-115 you are restoring. I knew Dick from racing against him while pit crewing for #226 Dave Potter Molinari/Mercury from Seattle, Wash. As a matter of fact, Dave ran a Glastron Molinari with a Mercury 135 BP DC Stacker before he got his red Molinari Marathon that we raced at Havasu World Outboard Championships in "72 that can be seen at www.gosee.tv/boatracing (http://www.gosee.tv/boatracing) I was at the race at Lake Stevens Wash. when Dick blew your boat over & broke his leg. Dave Potter was the first on the scene ( I miss him & his dad Les) & I assissted in the rescue! I can be E-mailed at mrbenson55@gmail.com for any further asistance in your projects history. Mark Benson-Producer Vancouver British Columbia Canada

opie see
03-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Mark:

Thanks for the additional information concerning the Glastron Molinari that Scot and I are restoring.
I will contact you at your e-address to see if there is a way to ge a copy of the film that you mentioned.
No new pix right now...we should have some progress to share in the next month or so.

Opie See aka - Joe Schulte

largecar91
03-30-2009, 05:06 PM
It still is called "Jelly Bean"!:D

T2x
03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
It still is called "Jelly Bean"!:D

Let me guess...It's buried in a "collection in Ohio"......?

:p:p:p

mark benson
04-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Scot- Have you found a circa. OMC engine (X-115) c/w racing lower units & props to complete project? I might have some ideas. Mark

mark benson
07-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Dear Scot & Joe- I discovered in my research of the 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championships that Dick Sharp's co -driver was Gerry Wallin from Edmonds Wash. Gerry was the holder of the World Outboard Speed Record of 131 mph in an OMC powered hydro called Starflite. The video of the run can be seen on Liquidnirvana's 100 years of OMC history. Gerry was from Washington state so was a natural pick as co-driver. Gerry was critically injured for life when he blew over the boat at a reputed speed of 150 mph trying to up record ( bad idea!) I personally knew both men from racing against them while Pit Crewing for # 226 Dave Potter from Seattle & # 482 Lee Davies from Vancouver British Columbia Canada in the late '60's & early '70's.:cheers:

opie see
10-05-2009, 06:30 PM
It is hard to believe that it has been a year and a half since I've done a thing on the Glastron/Molinari...but a couple of big time medical procedures put everything on hold for while.

Thankfully everything is better than ever now...it's amazing what a rebuild of the old pump will do for you.

Good enough that I found time to run both my Vintage Inboards this summer...with a lot of help from my friends.

At any rate, we are about to spring back into action on the 1969 Glastron/Molinari best known as the #511 of Dick Sharp.

This time I'll be going it without the neighborly friendship and ready counsel of Scot Keller who had the nerve to move out of Detroit (can you imagine) and back to the Paciific NorthWest.

I'll be posting on this Forum in the next week or so with plenty of questions...I know I can count on your help.

Joe Schulte...aka Opie See

mark benson
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Joe- Welcome back. In my research I discovered that Dick Sharp won the Outboard Pleasure Craft Preliminary before the very first Havasu Outboard World Championships in 1964. Harold Eis (The Ice Man) won the first year driving a Style-Craft with dual Mercurys. I saw a photo of # 511 Dick Sharp nearly running over my buddy Joe Fielder of Texas in the 1970 Havasu Outboard World Championships driving a Glastron-Molinari with a single OMC. Joe was leading the first lap in his dual Mercury Glastron-Molinari until he hit that big wake near the pits. The rest is history!:cheers:

rabco15
10-09-2009, 01:23 PM
when you finish boat there are abunch of us running on the detroit river with old tunnels and v bottoms

opie see
10-09-2009, 02:07 PM
That's good to know.

If all goes well, we will be on the water this summer (2010)...I'll bring it down to Grosse Ile for a little fun on the River.

Now for my question.

Last year, at the time of my last posting, we had cut out the "soft" transom and were in the process of replacing the core with epoxy-bonded marine ply and re-glassing its surface.

As discussed at that time, the plan has been to put a pump "well" at the transom with a hole for the tilt ram. I know it did'n run with tilt in 1969...but everyone is of one mind that in the interests of safety (if nothing else) this would be a good idea.

Next...the folks at Sankuer Composite Technologies who are doing the restoration have made a recommendation to epoxy okume doublers onto the stringers (bottom to deck) , cutting out the openings so they exactly replicate the originals, but lending strength to the hull and deck. No more than 5 mil thick, the weight gain would be neglagible.

The option I have at this point is to re-paint the doublers the familiar gray w/black speckle or to finish them bright with varnish over epoxy.

My inclination is to finish them "bright".

Since they would be visible even with the rear cowl in place, I think it would look spectacular...maybe not exactly they way they originally built them down in Texas, but much better looking.

Opinions?

Joe

jphii
10-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Either one, varnish or epoxy would look great!:thumbsup:

If I ever get around to restoring the Veldens that is what I will do on the inside.

opie see
10-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks Joe....that's my opinion as well.

It would really set it off.

Joe

AirRide
10-09-2009, 05:56 PM
when you finish boat there are abunch of us running on the detroit river with old tunnels and v bottomsWhat old tunnels and v's you guys runn'n? What power?

PARKER RABE
10-09-2009, 06:54 PM
mike mullins of mirage boats just restored 2 molinaris 1 with a stacker , and 1 with a twister 1 , the boats are yellow and black , and look brand new , unbelivable to see , i have video of the stacker running

rabco15
10-12-2009, 07:44 AM
i am running a rabco with v6 powe now but i have had 16 checkmate with crhysler stacker 15comp mx checkmate with ti and t2 power viper with v6 power baja tunnel with merc stacker gw invader tunnel with v6 power stv with v6 power . im probably forgetting a few oh and my father won the world championships in key west in 1983 in a 37 foot tunnel

PARKER RABE
10-12-2009, 11:51 AM
damn brother , wheres the pictures of your stuff??????

PARKER RABE
10-12-2009, 11:51 AM
what rabco ?? a hustler?

rabco15
10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
yes parker its a hustler i think its your old boat

rabco15
10-12-2009, 12:22 PM
silver metalflake

PARKER RABE
10-12-2009, 07:30 PM
oh god damn for real???? wheres the fricken pics????

PARKER RABE
10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
is this it ???this was my boat when i was 10

rabco15
10-13-2009, 07:26 AM
looks like the same boat i am going to have some pictures downloaded onto a disc at the pharmacy but i dont know how to download them onto here

PARKER RABE
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
well **** learn quick , i wanna see that baby ! got to be my old boat , please post them asap

PARKER RABE
10-13-2009, 05:03 PM
what motor is on it now ?

PARKER RABE
10-13-2009, 06:47 PM
few more pics of hustlers

rabco15
10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
parker the boat now has a 2.4 with some exhaust porting had a drag motor on it took it to 100mph fast enough wanted to fly

rabco15
10-14-2009, 07:47 AM
parker besides on top of the tunnel was there any core in these boats

PARKER RABE
10-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Not that i know of

PARKER RABE
10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Really want to see these pics of your rig .

PARKER RABE
10-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Here is the motor , that was on my hustler today

PARKER RABE
10-14-2009, 06:09 PM
My other stuff

opie see
11-28-2009, 03:15 PM
As progress is being made on the restoration of our 1969 Glastron-Molinari Tunnel, we are going to need to produce some graphics for the hull...and to do that I need some reference.

Specifically, I'm quite sure the boat had a decal on the cowling (left and right) that featured three vertically stacked flags/logos (the Glastron "G", the American flag and the Italian flag), centered between the words Glastron ....Molinari.

I have some reference for a similar decal with the words Glastron.....Carlson, but I am pretty sure the 1969 boats like this had Glastron....Molinari signage.

Anybody got reference or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Please let me know....Thanks

Joe Schulte

Powercat
11-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I am thinking Joe Fielder [ jlf56 on this board ] might have a photo that
shows the Glastron/Molinari logo your looking for. This is his photo of
one of the rigs as run. I think you are right as you can see the
Glastron/Carlson logo is similar

opie see
11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that the logo was changed on the Glastron Molinaris to put the Italian flag in place of the Carlson logo and the word Molinari replacing Carlson.
I just need to see a photo for reference so I re-create the right thing. Thanks for the info.
Joe Schulte

willabee
11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that the logo was changed on the Glastron Molinaris to put the Italian flag in place of the Carlson logo and the word Molinari replacing Carlson.
I just need to see a photo for reference so I re-create the right thing. Thanks for the info.
Joe Schulte

Can you blow this up to see what you need?

Bruster
11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Anymore and it just becomes a blurr.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zmgism.jpg

willabee
11-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Anymore and it just becomes a blurr.

Try this one, at least you can see the Italian flag on the bottom.

Bruster
11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Still no detail, just a blurr.:eek:

Bob V
11-29-2009, 02:31 PM
This might help...

Mark75H
11-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Yep, that's it Bob ... a Glastron "G" emblem at the top and Italian flag at the bottom.

I think there is a better color pic of the red boat somewhere, but I haven't found it

Bob V
11-29-2009, 03:04 PM
The only red one that I have come across is this Glastron/Carlson. It is sad that nobody has a good close-up of the Glastron/Molinari logo. That boat made history in it's day and now it seem to be forgotten.

Mark75H
11-29-2009, 03:24 PM
No, I'm thinking of the red trimmed Glastron full tunnel

willabee
11-29-2009, 05:38 PM
The only red one that I have come across is this Glastron/Carlson. It is sad that nobody has a good close-up of the Glastron/Molinari logo. That boat made history in it's day and now it seem to be forgotten.

Look at what they used for their logo printed in the free space above the boat cowl.....go figure. :nonod: Is that what is called "hiding in plain sight"?

opie see
11-29-2009, 06:56 PM
The problem is, the logo shown at the top of the page is for a Glastron/Carlson... not a Glastron/Molinari.

I have found enough reference to know that the word Glastron is "reversed" out of black to the left of the flags/logo and Molinari is overprinted in black on white stock...on the right side of the "tri-stack" of Glastron logo, American flag & Italian flag.

In small type, under the word "Glastron" I'm pretty sure it says: "A Conroy Company" and "Austin,Texas". Can't be sure 'till I see better reference.

Under the word "Molinari" I'm guessing it says "Built by Carlson" and "Anaheim, California".

Once again, I won't know 'til I find a good photo.

So...the search continues. Thanks for the help.

Opie See

WaterZebra
11-30-2009, 05:28 PM
The image submitted by Willabee (Boat #74) clearly shows that "Molinari" made it to the ride hand side of the decal. The "top flag" was the Glastron logo, the middle flag was USA and the bottom flag was Italian. I'm wondering if the Glastron / Carlson decals were inter-mixed with new Glastron Molinari hulls coming out of the molds? Boat #74 is the only photo prioving that the "Molinari" was actually in a decal. The 1970 catalog graphic only depicts the technical partner ship between Hammond and Molinari. The only place in the catalog showing a "racing decal" that was readable is the side shot of the full race Carlson. I don't think that most of the racers running Glastron Molinaris ever kept the decal on their boats, or if the boats were actually sold with the decals?

Mark75H
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Joe Fielder would be the expert in that matter ... my suspicion is that only a few had the decal

opie see
11-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I have found a copy of an old Powerboat magazine (January, 1971) that carried an article "Anatomy of the Tunnel Hull" showing a single engine Glastron-Molinari being built and shipped from the Carlson factory in California with the decal in place.
The photo clearly shows Molinari on the right side of the stack of logos/flags in the decal...I just can't make out what it says below the word Molinari.
Thanks for all of the help....I know we'll get to some definitive reference.
Joe

MN4V
01-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Give your thanks to the TCPBA. This is from their Vintage photo page.
Mark N
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/MN392/GlastronMolinari.jpg

jackie wilson
01-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Anyone thought of asking Bob Hammond [ if the old bastard is still with us] Jackiie.

opie see
01-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks Mark for the great photo...the best reference I could ask for.
Are anyone's eyes good enough to read what it says over the word Molinari?
I can read everything else OK....it looks like it might be written in cursive...
Thanks again Mark for the great find!
Joe Schulte

jlf56
01-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I can read everything else OK....it looks like it might be written in cursive...
Angelo :eek:
Angelo Molinari (Papa) Renato Molinari (Son)

plasterer tim
01-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Anyone thought of asking Bob Hammond [ if the old bastard is still with us] Jackiie.

after a statement like that i hope you two know each other quite well!!!!

MN4V
01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
It looks like Angelo to me too.
Mark N

Mark75H
01-21-2010, 09:47 PM

I agree

jackie wilson
01-22-2010, 03:32 AM
after a statement like that i hope you two know each other quite well!!!!

Not really------just over 40 yrs. and the line continues with my son and grandson.

T2x
01-22-2010, 08:53 AM

It was Angelo.

Back then, Angelo (Father) built the boats and Renato (son) raced them.

The actual wooden Molinari's had the words "Scafo Angelo Molinari" on a sticker on each side of the hull.

T2x

opie see
01-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks everyone for all of the help....we are making progress (slower than I would like) but when she's done everybody that helped will be proud!

Thanks again...and you can be sure I'll be back for more info before it is all done.

Joe Schulte

mark benson
12-08-2010, 03:14 AM
I heard a rumor that," Glastron/Molinari hull # 18-8", was being "restored!"
It was Angelo.

Back then, Angelo (Father) built the boats and Renato (son) raced them.

The actual wooden Molinari's had the words "Scafo Angelo Molinari" on a sticker on each side of the hull.

T2x

North Island
12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes, structure resto 95% done.

htower
12-09-2010, 06:00 PM
223410223409223408Here's a 36 " photograph i have - what a shot !
http://www.screamandfly.com/images/misc/pencil.png

mark benson
12-09-2010, 06:31 PM
#12 Fred Hauenstein #22 Gary Peacock #31 Bill Wiles #148 Dick Sherrer #191 Jimbo McConnell #192 Chuck Garner #199 Bill Petty #501 Bert Serra
223410223409223408Here's a 36 " photograph i have - what a shot !
http://www.screamandfly.com/images/misc/pencil.png

htower
12-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I took a better shot of the photo. Sam maybe you could blow this up for everyone. thanks223412

Mark75H
12-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Maybe if it was emailed to me, but I thought your earlier blow ups were very good

htower
12-09-2010, 08:49 PM
In another month i will start posting some pics of my 18 Molinari. Our shop just finished a job that has been going on since last October -a full restoration on a 1930's Hershoff Roots 37 ' Sailboat . I had to put off starting my 223413boat due to the overwhelming amout of work and hours we had to put into this project, you don't get many jobs that come along like this one. Now t223415hat it has been completed i got the thumbs up from the boss that my boat is good to go.Over the holiday i will bring it over to the shop- to start223414 a full restoration

shadowcat
12-09-2010, 09:27 PM
htower-as you know that is great to hear! remember -you must post pictures so we can see it progress!!!

- incredible picture of the moli's- where did they all go??? (and I think I know) -got any others to post here???

SHADOWCAT

Mark75H
12-09-2010, 10:27 PM
- incredible picture of the moli's- where did they all go??? (and I think I know) -got any others to post here??? SHADOWCAT

Where did they all go is a reoccurring question about old race boats ... when they are newly obsolete ... they just sit in some otherwise unused space, generally outside in the weather. Secondly, raceboat construction is light and never intended for long term ... it would be a conflict to build a raceboat intended to last 10 years, much less 20 or 30. This made the very susceptible to falling apart very quickly ... long before anyone would have interest in restoring one as an antique or nostalgia piece.

mark benson
12-10-2010, 03:46 AM
#32 Jim Hauenstein #37 Ron Traen #54 Gene Hudgens #157 Dick Sharp #1022 Jim Thompson
I took a better shot of the photo. Sam maybe you could blow this up for everyone. thanks223412

Cwbys
02-17-2012, 10:47 PM
WOW thanks for posting the pic. #37 was my grandpa Ron Traen he passed many years ago now. It was great to see thank you so much.

opie see
02-18-2012, 08:20 AM
It has been far too quiet on our restoration program for my own satisfaction...but sometimes business has to be put before fun.
At any rate, we are getting back to the restoration of Dick Sharp's Glastron-Molinari 18-footer.
Running her at Clayton this August is the goal.
The new transom is in and we are getting ready to install new strongbacks to give the hull/transom joint more strength.
Jeff Ettinger is starting on the Evinrude KC13R and most of the old hardware has been found and cleaned up. (Throttle pedal, steering components, Keller speedo, OMC tach).
We do need some info on is the fuel tank...which isn't to be found.
What did they most likely run in the boat when set up for Marathons? Any photos out there?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks ...
Joe Schulte

RogerH
02-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey Joe,
Sure hope to see you at Clayton. Looks like we might have a good group of OPC size outboards there this year. I know that Ted Boyd has his wing ready and that John Tiger should have his Seebold /OMC V4 done by then. Have heard that Jack Beatley is considering bringing the #250 Molinari/T2x. I certainly plan on being there with my O'Berry Marine Molinari / Johnson RS. Too soon to say whether some of the others will show: Brian Pitt - Molinari / Merc V6, Scott Rotharmel - Molinari / CCC, Rich Luhrs - Switzer Wing / S3000's, Ken Fornwalt - Allison / Merc, Steve Larkin - Velden / OMC V4, Bud Clarke - Molinari / I-6 and Arnie Rubinstein - Switzer / I-6.
>>>>>>>> Now that would be a heat of OUTBOARDS!!!!! <<<<<<<< We'll just pray for calmer waters.

It has been far too quiet on our restoration program for my own satisfaction...but sometimes business has to be put before fun.
At any rate, we are getting back to the restoration of Dick Sharp's Glastron-Molinari 18-footer.
The new transom is in and we are getting ready to install new strongbacks to give the hull/transom joint more strength.
Jeff Ettinger is starting on the Evinrude KC13R and most of the old hardware has been found and cleaned up. (Throttle pedal, steering components, Keller speedo, OMC tach).
What did they most likely run in the boat when set up for Marathons? Any photos out there?
Thanks ...
Joe Schulte

opie see
02-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Roger...
One way or another I'll be there.
Hopefully with the Galstron-Molinari and the DU that Allen Blide is putting the finishing touches on.
I know the DU will be done....the Molinari has just taken way too long...and I have nobody to blame but myself.
Hope to see you in August, if not before.
Joe Schulte

shadowcat
02-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Joe & Roger...I hope to be bringing 2 boats - the wing and the glastron molinari should be done (may not be running though) -joe -check your pm's for one from me

Ted

T2x
02-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks ...
Joe Schulte

The most common tank was a 40 to 60 gallon round aluminum tank as sold to big semi truck manufacturers. these had big fuel fills and adequate baffling. They were either strapped into a cradle or foamed and strapped into a box.

mark benson
02-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Up here in the Pacific Northwest, in the late '60's & early '70's, for a fuel tank, we were using used aluminum "beer kegs!" We simply cut a hole in the top (when lying on its side) for filler cap & rigged a fuel line (with shut off) out of the back bottom! We then built a custom glass/wood cradle & used numerous strong straps, to secure! Looked cool, worked good! But, first we had to drink all the beer, in the keg! LOL
The most common tank was a 40 to 60 gallon round aluminum tank as sold to big semi truck manufacturers. these had big fuel fills and adequate baffling. They were either strapped into a cradle or foamed and strapped into a box.

opie see
02-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Mark:

So far, I like your suggestion best.
I presume I should use a 'Lite' beer keg to keep the wieght down....both the driver's and boat's.

Joe

RogerH
02-22-2012, 07:20 PM

Joe, The tank I put in my Molinari is huge...definitely a marathon tank. Funny, but I don't have a good picture of the tank in the boat. Here's one with it beside the boat as I was restoring it.

dondenney
03-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Gentlemen,

I have one of the old Glastron Molinari tunnel hulls. I purchased it a long time ago, best guess 1982 or '83. It was stored indoors for 25+ years. The storage building was torn down and the boat has been sitting outside for the past 3 or 4 years. It has a plywood transom and balsa core for the hull. 316111316112316113 I always planned on restoring it. I Registered it as home made as there was no identification tag, or other identification on it. If anyone is interesterd in the boat let me know.

John Schubert
03-15-2015, 07:54 AM
If you look in the middle of the picture, awaiting the start of the 1972 Havasu race, boat #44 is me with a Sid-Son tunnel from a lofted Molinari provided by Jack Leek.

Barracudamooda
05-07-2015, 12:21 PM
I have read this thread with interest (and a few flashbacks). Somewhere in the back of one of my closets is a yellow with black stripes Glastron/Molinari racing jumpsuit. I should go find it and send it to you guys...

shadowcat
05-07-2015, 12:49 PM
I have read this thread with interest (and a few flashbacks). Somewhere in the back of one of my closets is a yellow with black stripes Glastron/Molinari racing jumpsuit. I should go find it and send it to you guys...

John Schubert
05-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Probably but I bet the legs are a bit longer LOL

willabee
05-07-2015, 01:21 PM

Is that Jock "Highwater" Horner ? :D

opie see
05-07-2015, 01:55 PM

I looked at the original letter sent from Glastron's sales manager (Ernest J. Schmidt) to prospective buyers and it notes: "There are two boats available for racing; an 18' single engine for $2,200., f.o.b. California, and a 21' twin engine for $2,700.00. This price includes the boat and bucket seat, less steering. Also included are three sets of racing jackets and coverall, plus a rigging installation booklet which is available at time of delivery."

We can presume that the Glastron Molinari racing jump suit in the back of your closet is one of the three that came with the boat.

Very cool.

Joe Schulte

Barracudamooda
05-07-2015, 02:36 PM

Yep, that's it.

Barracudamooda
05-07-2015, 02:42 PM
I'll bet mine doesn't even fit as well as "Highwater's" does at this point. I was about Reggie's size at the time...

shadowcat
05-07-2015, 10:45 PM
very good- willable-you are bang on!!!! ---
Is that Jock "Highwater" Horner ? :D

2us70
05-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Jock was one of the good guys back then and a pretty fair race boat driver as well. Last I heard he was living in Georgia.

shadowcat
05-08-2015, 09:37 PM
yes- that's where he is living
Jock was one of the good guys back then and a pretty fair race boat driver as well. Last I heard he was living in Georgia.

2us70
05-09-2015, 10:58 AM
I had the chance to test in a couple of those glass Molis set up for SJ back then. I found them to be very good especially in rough water. They weren't as fast as some of their competitors like Doug Perl's Scorpions but in a marathon they went pretty well. I would have liked to have raced one at least once.

MagicFloat
05-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Whatever happened to Doug? I remember that ponytail flowing behind his helmet as he passed by!

2us70
05-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Doug got hurt pretty badly testing. Last I heard he was still working in the family business. They own " Uniweld" welding products and supplies.

3rd Gen
05-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Gentlemen,

I have one of the old Glastron Molinari tunnel hulls. I purchased it a long time ago, best guess 1982 or '83. It was stored indoors for 25+ years. The storage building was torn down and the boat has been sitting outside for the past 3 or 4 years. It has a plywood transom and balsa core for the hull. 316111316112316113 I always planned on restoring it. I Registered it as home made as there was no identification tag, or other identification on it. If anyone is interesterd in the boat let me know.
Might be interested..781-424-3745....