PDA

View Full Version : reinforcing transom on Mirage Jaguar

jag
04-19-2001, 10:00 AM
what are some ways for reinforcing the transom?

Liqui-Fly
04-19-2001, 10:32 AM
If your transom is currently sound and you just want to make it stronger; glassing braces into the stringers is the best way to go. Also another layer of plywood could be added to thinken up the transom. This will bond to the old transom nicely with a layer of 1.5oz mat in between and covered with mat and roven woven. Some guys use metal but that's not my area. Good articles on S&F and the International Hydrostream Registry on transom work. But is the Mirage doesn't have braces tied into the stringers that is definitely the way to go. David

Dutch
04-19-2001, 08:24 PM
I had a plate made to fit against the transom on the inside
and it returned eight inches along the stringers. It was thru bolted to the stringers. I also had a plate made for the outside also. The two sandwiched the transom. I used very strong 1/4" aluminum. It was welded because this grade
of alum. was too brittle to bend. If you have any more questions feel free to email me. Mirage613@cs.com
I also had the top glassed over the transom. It might be overkill, but I'm tired of these shops doing quick fixes that only last a month or so.

[Edited by SusquehannaMirage on 04-24-2001 at 10:19 PM]

Barney
04-24-2001, 01:22 AM
I have been making some inquiries regarding Mirage boats.

Some love them, others hate em.

Are the haters sore losers cause Mirage is bad ass?

What the heck is deal with the Transoms?

I spoke with Mirage, they assure me the design of Mirage transom in good. What do you guys think may have been the cause of the "cracks" mentioned in this threads.

Is this rare, some models only, or maybe abuse by the owners?

Lets get this thing cleared up, if it's a problem, we;ll get it fixed, if not, lets back up these folks.

TUG
04-24-2001, 09:30 AM
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF GLASSING A STV UP WITH NEW WOOD , STRINGERS, KNEE'S, FLOOR, TRANSOM. THE TRICK IS TO WRAP THE UPPER DECK TO THE LOWER AS IF ITS ALL ONE PIECE. THAT WAY INSTEAD OF THE UPPER DECK SUPPORTING THE TRANSOM WITH THOSE 3" LIPS ON THE SIDES, IT GOES ALL THE WAY ACROSS! I ALSO OWN A BRAD BUILT MIRAGE AND HAVE BEEN RUNNING 15" OF SETBACK FOR 4 YEARS NOW AND THERES NOT A SIGN OF WEAKNESS IN IT, BRAD BUILT A STRONG BOAT!! AS FOR THE NEW ONES, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM BUT I SURE HAVE HEARD ALOT OF COMPLAINTS AS FAR AS THE TRANSOM GOES! ON MY STV I NOTICED THAT THE TRANSOM AND KNEE'S WERE GLASSED TOGETHERONLY FROM THE INSIDE, SO I'M IN THE PROCESS OF GLASSING THRE TRANSOM BLOCK TO THE KNEE'S BEFORE IT EVEN GETS PUT IN THE BOAT AND GLASS4D IN, THIS WAY I CAN WRAP THE OUTSIDE CORNER WHERE KNEE'S ATTACH TO SIDE OF TRANSOM AND THEN PUT IT IN THE BOAT AND GLASS AROUND THE BACK AND GLASS THE KNEE'S IN, I WILL HAVE PICS ON HOWIES BOARD SOONER OR LATER OF THE STEPS I HAVE TAKEN TO INSURE THAT THE TRANSOM WILL NEVER COME LOOSE AGAIN . AS A MATTER OF FACT, I THINK THE BOAT WILL BREaK IN TWO BEFORE THE TRANSOM GIVES, LOOK FOR SUM PICS IN THE FUTURE LATER TUG