PDA

View Full Version : Which camera, 30D or D80???????????

CDave
07-30-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm looking to get my first DSLR. My main interest are sports and nature photography.

So which one? I keep reading Canon has better lens' and lens choices.
There is a possibility, in the future, I might want to submit a portofolio to stock houses. Is that possible with Digital or is that still the relm of slide film?

Scream And Fly
07-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Both camera systems are about equal, and both cameras produce similar performance and their image quality is about equal. Both lens systems are basically the same, and they cost about the same too.

The 30D will be a bit better at high ISO, but the D80 gives you two more megapixels. I'm not sure if the 30D will spot-meter (a common complaint about Canon), which is something all the Nikons do.

Yes, you can use digital cameras to submit photos to stock agencies - that's what most people do. Since they are so similar, your best bet is to try both cameras and see which one you like better.

Greg

CDave
07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks Greg. What signifies the Nikon pro lens, I know on Canon it's L.

Scream And Fly
07-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks Greg. What signifies the Nikon pro lens, I know on Canon it's L.

This question comes up often on photo message boards. Generally, if the lens has a gold ring around the front, it's a pro or high-end lens. I'm not sure if that's the tell-all on this matter, but all the pro lenses that I use are "gold ring" lenses. If you have something in mind, let me know what it is and I'll tell you how good or bad it is. :)

Greg