PDA

View Full Version : Fine metal shavings in gear oil?

Ron V
04-19-2001, 09:36 AM
The other day at the Baker get-together I thought there was a slight "resonance" (not really a vibration) in the boat at idle that was not there before. Figured it may have been from the new setback, since I had never run one previously. The prop is fine. But I pulled the top gearcase plug to check the color of the oil to make sure the seals were working okay after the winter, and there were some very fine shavings (like filings, actually) on the plug. I know that some metal is probably normal, like in a car transmission. Are those plugs magnetic? I didn't bother to check at the time. If it is magnetic, then I'm not too concerned because it was not really COATED with the shavings; in that case it probably just attracted what was in there. But if it is not magnetic and I have this many shavings floating around in the entire gearcase then I think I may have a problem. Never noticed this before. Also pulled the bottom plug for a split second and the oil that came out did not appear contaminated.

If I'd found shavings on a spark plug I'd be less concerned, because then I'd know that it was just the remnants of a Mercury that it had inhaled.

Jeff
04-19-2001, 10:13 AM
they are magnetic, so I think a few metal filings are inevitable....be concerned if there is a lot though

Mark C.
04-19-2001, 07:05 PM
Oh boy...another anti-Merc comment I have to try to ignore!
:eek: :eek: :p
Warning, warning...keep your eye on it and your ears open. When you say filings, is it just fuzz or more? Your plug is magnetic and fuzz is common, but my vision of "filings" could be a little more serious. The resonance is what really concerns me - though not so much at idle. When you put it into gear, vibration while the forward gear is meshing with the pinion gear may be indicating a tooth on its way out (assuming your prop is OK as you mentioned). Even if it isn't contaminated it might have worn or improperly adjusted parts. Are the gears old or have you had it serviced in awhile? If you have the tools, I would pull the carrier just to inspect it and make sure. If not, listen and feel for unusual vibration and keep checking that plug.

- Mark C.

Sleekster
04-20-2001, 02:01 AM
The bottom should have most of the shavings magnitized to it or someone put the wrong plug in the wrong spot. Most OMC's have only one magnitized plug. I add a second for back-up. I change the lower oil twice a season, once in the middle to check. A full heavy beard on the magnet is a concern as are metal shavings floating in the oil. I also check it after a couple of days following using it to let the metal settle. Hope this helps.

Personally I like the Merc comments.

Ron V
04-20-2001, 08:47 AM
Actually, it was more like a fuzz, and it wasn't like there was a ton of it. I just never really noticed it before, but if the plug was on the bottom before (maybe I inadvertently switched the plugs), maybe it would get washed off by the oil when I pulled it out. I change the oil every season and to date the oil that came out was good enough to use for another season every time. Always looks almost new. I run 85W-140 hypoid oil in it.

The resonance in the boat was ever so slight. Only someone picky and mechanically inclined would have even taken note of it, like me. Maybe it was just the setback. I'll keep an ear open to it though.

ODDD1
04-21-2001, 12:07 AM
Its gonna be hard eatin more mercs if yer chewin on gears!

Ron V
04-21-2001, 07:50 AM
The resonance seems to be gone. I think it was just the setback for some reason. I had a leak in one of the bolts, so I pulled both lower bolts back out and did a new sealing job, and there was LOTS of sealant on the bolt and around the head under the washers. Maybe that is part of what dampened the sound.

Ran it last night and everything seems fine. Tried to get a fish 'n ski with a 150 Ficht to play but he just went to his next fishing spot. Must have been afraid of going up against 99 cubic inches on a boat longer than his.