PDA

View Full Version : merc wiring

Heavy Sausage
07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
hi i just took a 115 inline 1986 off my boat and it had a key one the dash i filled two five gallon buckets with wire from this. Its a nightmare! Anyway I am putting my V6 on there with controles but im new to wiring. Can somone tell me what to do. I know I plug in harness, mount controles and bring power to motor from batt. But then what for gauges and so on. There is a pannel under the dash with a pos side and a neg side and fuses but nothing is hooked up to it.

TAXXIVADER
07-21-2007, 01:13 AM
ok...you will need a tachometer harness to go from you control box up to ya dash.

purple = ign 12v.

black = ground .

grey = taco signal.

tan = temp.

brown/white stripe = trim .

tan/bluestripe = ext alarm horn (when reqwired)

best to keep your engine & gauge wiring separate to any other accesoriees.

run all other thangs like lights , bilge pumps,radios.& other lektroniks off separate fuses from those power posts you mentioned.

hope this gets you started.

cheers Al...

Techno
07-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Its a good idea to draw a simple map or make a list of the items wire color and the item that the wire supplies. Forget proper method for this and make it so YOU understand it EASILY. The head temp sender wire goes to a circle labeled H temp or whatever you like, with the color. It doesn't have to be engine in back with a spagetti mess of wires going to a dash location.
You can have several maps. One for gauges, one for pumpy things, accessories.
A list looks more like TAXXIVADER list of the color code.

This makes it easier to understand what your doing. Other than colors generally everything is hooked up to battery negative. The positive is either a switch, relay or is the sender to a gauge. The gauges also have a 2nd set for lighting.
The panel you have should be wired directly from the battery, through the main battery switch, this way the load is off the ignition switch and it don't have to be on for anything to run off it.

This is mine. Yours don't have to be like this just what you need to understand it. In this the yellow wires represent the ignition. Start, OFF/ON with the safety switch. Its the wrong color but it shows clearly for me. The thing when printed has labels so the wire color didn't matter.
http://i11.tinypic.com/6fr7h4k.jpg

1BadAction
07-21-2007, 09:08 PM
this thread has the color chart of mercs and abyc. :cool: http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125223