PDA

View Full Version : Advice on entry level camera

J Lamb
07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
What's good, what's junk. Not looking to spend alot so I realize I won't get a lot either. $300-350 max, preferebly less. As my kids put it, I'm a tightwad:rolleyes: . I have no aspirations to become a pro. Just want something that takes decent pics and easy to use. Was looking at the Canon powershot S3, any thoughts? That is about the top of my price range.

Scream And Fly
07-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Also, a lot of people seem to really like the Nikon Coolpix P5000.

hsbob
07-19-2007, 10:10 AM
cannon, nikon and olympus all amke very good poit and shoot cameras. just get one that has a 10x or larger lens. and you'll be fine. forget about how many picture will go on a card. the more pic the more the jpg is compressed giving bad looking pictures. that's why i dont like sony.

J Lamb
08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Got the Canon S3 and for an entry level, P&S camera it has more than I want or need. Now if I can figure out what everything is. Had people tell me spend more and get an SLR camera but that kind of money just couldn't be justified for just shutter lag. I don't understand a lot of the photography terms and lingo, or desire to learn more but I will have to to use this camera. Seems like it's gonna be a great camera for the $$. Does have the 12x lens and takes some great photos if I can learn how to get the shutter speeds right for the situation.

hsbob
08-14-2007, 11:32 AM
that a great choise. slr is better but can be a money pit, when your not in that business. again you made a good choise. read the manual 2-3 times and go for it. read greg article.