PDA

View Full Version : VECTOR/OMC, YAH MAAN!

Instigator
04-19-2001, 08:44 AM
Keep us posted on the OMC/Vector progress, interesting combo!! Also be interested to see what the filled in pad does?? Seems to be a variety of opinions. Did you fill yours flat (side to side) and straight (lengthwise) too??? The boat racer in me says its the only thing that makes since, but there seems to be enough (respected) contrary opinions to scare me??? Still motor shopping for mine, but getting close. The "Red Neck" in me keeps going to a V-4 or an old cross flow to really piss of them black bastartds! Weight is a primary concern but I think with a Sawzall and a hammer I can get an Looper close to a black motor in weight??? Re-doing a buddies '89 XP 200 so I can study the internals (PORT TIMING) while it's apart, and just finished the autopsy on my '99 250 Ocean Pro (same as a 225 HO)that I scattered on my Sonic. I'll tell yah, after talking to the OMC "GODS" (I talked to most if not all of them)and looking at the guts of the Loopers, its not "if" they will make massive amounts of HP's but how much you want!! Just like the merc guys, you gotta decide a performance/durability level that you can afford/live with. Very respected individuals assuring me that their is way more HP's than I ever would have believed!!! With Bombardier being the new owners of OMC, I dont think it's a question of "if" they get on the HP band wagon, but "when"!! Funning how things change??? Now I hear merc is in financial straights and laying people off, in trouble with the F.T.C. for games they tryed playing at the OMC auction, and Bombardier has enough cash to buy and sell them a hundred time over! I'd say their's some nervous merc execs right now! I'm not one of the "ASSHOLES" that thinks the lay offs are funny (like some of em laughed at OMC laying off all their people right before Christmas, yeah thats funny, you ASSHOLES!), I'm sure they'll be fine and come back better than ever, but with Bombardier involved, the stakes have just been raised! Kinda like Harley back in the '70's, who'd of thought! May make one more run this weekend with the Vector/balck bastard combo before I part it out?? Little nervous after scattering the JohnRude! With me it seems to go in cycles. There is very few times in my life that everything I own with a spark plug in it, runs at the same time! I was at that mechanical "nervauna" untill last weekend. Also been at a point where boats, cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, weed eaters all rolled over and dyied at the same time! Oh well, sorry about the rambling!Instigator

Instigator
04-19-2001, 08:50 AM
I'M CORNFUSED!

Michael Martin
04-19-2001, 09:11 AM
Its flat from back to front & side to side.

Omc told us to stock up & we did. $300,000.00 worth of product. We had alot of customers that didn't care if It had a warrenty or not they just felt more comfortable with an OMC. Strange world.

Mike

Instigator
04-19-2001, 09:17 AM
Good call, I came close to doing the same thing. I'm not a daeler but figured a lot more people would've jumped ship and dumped inventory. Figured $10-20K investment,wait on the dust to settle, then sell!
Where's your dealership and, got any dead Loopers laying around??? Instigator

Capt.Insane-o
04-22-2001, 07:25 AM
I would'nt take the hook out of the boat, the consequences are bad, bad. Call up Baker's dad who put the hook in there and he will tell you also it makes the boat very flighty. Can't say I've ever had a merc try to saw it's self in half!

Sleekster
04-22-2001, 09:29 AM
Instigator,

Keep up the spirits...no, not those that you pop open, the ones that could drag you down. Feelings, man, your feelings. The pad thing. With Mike having had filled his, it might be interesting to hear his results. But previous posts have certainly created some discussion. Many have referred to Dad Baker. Has he posted his opinion, or is the Vector's pad his opinion? Hummmmm.

Cap'in,

Not a prefect world, even OMC's break. Just from the sound of it, a whole lot less often.

Michael Martin
04-22-2001, 09:37 AM
Instigator - Were located in Prosperity SC Its between Columbia and Greenville next to interstate I-26.
We do and I am tring to get one for ya. Talk to you soon.

Captn - I have heard horror stories, and tales of good things. Safty is my main goal and my boat had a adnormally bad bottom. ( I mean really really bad. So bad you look at & say "DAMN!?!" ) I'll make the best of it regardless for the summer. A bad ride is still a ride.

Mike

Instigator
04-22-2001, 10:13 AM
I can saw a merc in half! Regardless of breed, they will break if beaten hard enough! Part of going fast is having the attitude to put "em" on the line, most people wont do that! I'm sure I will "scatter" my FrankenRude multiple times before I get it dialed in. **** happens. As far as your comment on not seeing mercs sawing themselves in half?? I'm here to tell you, I've been to a **** load of races in my life, watched at least as many on T.V. and I can't remember a single race where there was'nt at least one dead/scattered/sawed in half merc! If you are a "real" race fan, O/B gear head you would know that any engine designed for a specific class, and developed to max output will scatter right when it crosses the finish line! If you go beyond it's mechanical limits it will not make it to the finish line, if it does'nt scatter at the line, then there was more left. That is fact! And I personally could give a **** less if your motor is black or white! What gets my attention is someone that has the stones to find that limit! As far as Mikes filled in pad, he's already done it! Maybe we ought to see what happens before we spend the next two months telling him he made a mistake! I put a lot of time into studying Vectors and their pads before I bought one. There has been people that have succesfully filled them in, not many, but it has been done!I know Rons opinion on the subject. Lets see what happens, a lot of variables at work. Were failed tests thourghly tested?? I give Mike points for having the stones to try something different! My opinion,Instigator

Michael Martin
04-22-2001, 10:30 PM
Thanks Instagator, but I don't think the Captn ment any disrespect. I value all of your opinions and thoughts as many of you have done things that I havn't.

OMC just had a bad roll of the dice, the new BMC will make a formatable impression on everyone on the 2002 line up.

alan knight
04-26-2001, 08:10 PM
I have been around the outboard scene for awhile and have seen,like all the other old timers,the rise and fall of the hp kings. But the records speak for themselves that merc has held their own in the racing circles better than anyone that has ever played the game. I was a OMC man to the core until a short while ago. OMC let the hot rod boaters down the boater`s didn`t let OMC down. As for Bombardier`s interest in OMC I believed it is summed up in one word FITCH. Seeing how they are one of the worlds largest two stroke motor manufactures. just my humble opinion

Michael Martin
04-26-2001, 09:08 PM
OMC did as I feel any buisness yould. When you get short on cash and your profits are down You concentrate on what makes you money. 40-70 and 150-200 hp lines was where the money was coming in. Pontoons and bass boats they do outnumber us.

I still am an OMC guy until I can't buy parts or make what I need. You just work with what your comfortable with.

Mike

alan knight
04-27-2001, 12:05 AM
Not trying to pick a fight but how was and is your distribution center handling parts. Ours being Dallas was 4percent above old pricing plus money in advance and no returns. And how did you like the blending of Johnson and Evinrude. Did not matter if all your adds such as signs letter heads and etc. said one brand your competitor across town just got your model and you got his. I did not state that I no longer liked OMC I just think they could be more dealer friendly. By the way we are a merc and Yamaha dealer also. They aren`t saints to deal with either. Hopefully the new boys will turn the tables for OMC. Time will tell. Later Alan

Michael Martin
04-27-2001, 08:27 AM
Alan, sorry, my "tone" after I reread what I had wrote was a litle hostile.

We carry OMC, Merc, Suzuki, and Yamaha also. The way OMC treated the dealers was very ****ty. We did the stock up in december expection big rebates & yes we were stuck in a bad position but most of our customers were not concerned. If they wanted an OMC product we were very upfront about the problems and possibly the product not having a factory warr. ( we were offering the Progressive 4 yr warr as a backup & just eating the cost) We got through it just like in the early 90's.

We are not having any problems getting parts. What we can't get from OMC, we get elsewhere. We will take returns on non electronics, as long as the parts are not opened or unused.
Any special orders mostly are deposit and non refundable. Key word "most". We are building up our parts supply on regurlay used Items. carb kits, P Packs, stators, gasket kits etc.

Mike Martin