PDA

View Full Version : Single battery question

river rocket
07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Is it safe for your outboard to run two amps off of your starting battery? I have a 02 300x and want to run one 4 channel 450w amp and one 200w subwoofer all off of my starting battery. I don't plan on using the stereo while the motor isn't running but I don't want to damage the motor when the bass hits. Any thoughts would be appreciated? Thanks

kimswang
07-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Calculate how much your motor charge (real life, not posted). Then figure out how much your amp draws. I tend to believe the math will not add up and you will run out of juice even with the motor running.

WATERWINGS
07-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I run two amps and one battery...................

BUT I do carry a jump box, only had to use it one time, (this was when I sat

just past my house late into the nite, just to see what would happen if I let

it play for hours)

I run a 720 Watt amp, (I know, not REAL watts) to my 6 x 9's

and a 1000 Watt, (yea I know), to the 10" sub.

river rocket
07-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I have two extra batteries onboard for my trolling motor, so I can always jump from them. I just hooked the system up last night and noticed without the motor running the dash lights dimmed when the bass hits and the volt meter drops. I just didn't want to add a forth battery to the system, but I would rather add the battery then blow the motor.

whipper
07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I do the same a as waterwings. The biggest thing is to make sure your charged up before you go out. I unhook everthing off the battery once shes put away also. The amp and clock draw continualy. My battery is 1000CCA deep cycle.I use it for everything and no problems. I carry a jump box for balast and if I need it. I do believe a big Deep cycle is the way to go though. If your starting battery is just a starting battery and not a high amp deep cycle you will suck that one down in no time. Im not sure about the size but the battery guy said I could run my stereo for 100+ hours before it calfed. I never run it more than an hour between runs. If you have other batterys on board just test it out one day. Run the stereo all day or at least keep it on and see how long it last. Then youll know. Just make sure your other battery is charged so you can get home:D James