PDA

View Full Version : The best wax for boats?????

Gray455
07-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey guys just got my boat back from paint and want to make sure I get some really good wax on it. What do you guys prefer??

usamarshal
07-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Well I put on maguires marine polish to shine it up and then maguires hi tech yellow wax and it shines pretty darn good. After that I put on some pledge and it was a slick as my wifes butt after she waxes it. Good stuff man!!!:)

funithesun
07-29-2007, 05:51 PM
I use Turtle wax spray wax. Might need 2 or even 3 coats to fill in and be super smooth. After that just once in awhile coat. It lasts and protects. It's easy. I realized that after using EVERYTHING under the sun on the fiberglass gelcoat on my water slides. If it stands up to thousands of slides a day and stays on, a boat is a no brainer.

pyro
07-29-2007, 06:34 PM
You're going to get 20 different answers here, these posts always end up this way. Using ANY wax is going to make it shine better than using none at all, so just about every product will get high marks from the average joe who hasn't done a controlled comparison of products.

My 2 cents:

Pledge is silicone. What's the point of using polish and wax if you're going to spray it down with furniture grease? "Hey transmission fluid works great for hiding that nasty oxidation" Whatever floats your boat. :rolleyes:

Turtle Wax is cheap stuff, but like I said, better than nothing. Spray wax mist gets EVERYWHERE and can be difficult to remove after it dries on some surfaces.

I have found that the polymers like Nu-Finish and Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax seem to shine good and last the longest. The site owner Greg says he doesn't like polymers for gelcoat, but rather the finer carnuba-based formulas. You said yours just got PAINTED, so I assume the surface isn't gelcoat.

Use CLEAN or NEW towels for buffing off wax. I see people all the time wiping down and detailing boats with dirty junk shop towels, they're making more scratches in the process.

transomstand
07-29-2007, 06:45 PM
The site owner Greg says he doesn't like polymers for gelcoat, but rather the finer carnuba-based formulas.

Greg's right, tests have proven that carnuba shines better, and lasts longer, in those harsh, inside the garage, under the cover enviroments.:rolleyes: :D :D :D

Techno
07-29-2007, 07:09 PM
You have fresh paint and not gel coat so you don't really need a wax of boats.

More important is use a wax. A whole lot of waxes for sale also have abrasives in them for 'cleaning' purposes. Usually says in the name or ingredients. If its not clear coated and your buff rag comes out colored thats your paint.

Presently I'm using bird ****. At least it seem so since I've washed it twice and somehow in the garage thats what it has on it.:mad:

A good one though is zaino. My 5,500 cents.:eek:

wildfire1
07-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Check with whoever painted the boat to see how soon you can wax it.
although the paint is dry, it may not have cured. waxxing it too soon could cause bigger problems. depends on the paint.

stvhelm
07-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I just bought the new turtle wax platinum series Ultra Gloss paste wax and holy cow does that stuff shine. It absolutley blows everything in my cabinet away.

Superboat Rob
07-30-2007, 10:23 AM
I like collinite #845

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Collinite-845-Insulator-Wax-Ship-two-for-2-00_W0QQitemZ190134004854QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50450QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gray455
07-31-2007, 05:16 AM
Hey guys I appreciate all the opinions! It has base/clear on the top and the hull bottom all the way up to the rubrail is gel/clear. I was told to wait 30 days before waxing it which will be here in the next few days..... it's almost ready for water so the timing will be about right.

I figured that the spray on stuff was good for when pulling it out and toweling it off?

Mastercraft241
08-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Pyro, If I'm not mistaken- doesn't carnuba suffocate the gelcoat?

thumper
08-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Greg's right, tests have proven that carnuba shines better, and lasts longer, in those harsh, inside the garage, under the cover enviroments.:rolleyes: :D :D :D

Hehehehehehehehehehehe. :)

I used to use Eagle One Wet, they stopped making it because they heard i was using it successfully and liked it. Went on easy and buffed off as easy. Gel was about 10 ft deep after fresh wax. Anyone else see it around at all anymore???

gary slagle
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
new paint should be totally cured before waxing.ive stumbled on meguiars nxt generation spray wax WOW! spray on ,wipe off...easy,quick ,and slick!!! you can see the difference! doesnt work near as well on gel.:D

imq707s
01-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Check with whoever painted the boat to see how soon you can wax it.
although the paint is dry, it may not have cured. waxxing it too soon could cause bigger problems. depends on the paint.

Good advice! When I used to paint cars, I would wait about a month before I would "wax" it. The paint needs time to "Breath" and cure. 3M makes some really good "hand glaze" that is great for freshly painted cars/boats. It will shine it up, but still allow the paint to breath.

After a month or so......just use a good quality wax like 3M or Meguiars and you will be good to go! :)

Riverman
01-23-2008, 12:11 AM
I have found the 3M products come off in the first wash.

yachter55
01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
have you ever seen a dull airplane :rolleyes: ? they use collinite.:D

imq707s
01-23-2008, 11:28 PM
I have found the 3M products come off in the first wash.

Yes...if you use the stuff that is "new paint safe" like the hand glaze...it washes of. It doesn't contain any wax or silcone...that's what it's safe for new paint....it allows it to cure.

As far as their carnuba based waxes go...they seem to last a long time when I use them.

Riverman
01-24-2008, 10:05 PM
That's not what I meant - The "cleaner and wax" marine product that they used to sell, can't remember the name as I threw it away years ago.

Davey W
01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
I just bought the new turtle wax platinum series Ultra Gloss paste wax and holy cow does that stuff shine. It absolutley blows everything in my cabinet away.Been useing meguiars tech wax ,synthetic,works good,think i bought it because it said synthetic:rolleyes: think i might try the turtle tho,it sounds good,

jlay
03-19-2008, 06:38 PM
I use collinite also and it works great, love it!

Mastercraft241
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I just bought the new turtle wax platinum series Ultra Gloss paste wax and holy cow does that stuff shine. It absolutley blows everything in my cabinet away.
Isnt that made just for cars:confused: or can it be applied to gelcoat?

41hat
04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
collinite fleetwax is the only way to go. more work but worth it in the long run! mark

BjBnet
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
I like the Meguiar's NXT. Works well on black

Frank Molé
04-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Been useing meguiars tech wax ,synthetic,works good,think i bought it because it said synthetic:rolleyes: think i might try the turtle tho,it sounds good,

been using that great stuff:D

Cobra1racer
04-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Ever see a nice shinny Black boat mold. That's what I use, mold wax. It stands up to heat and the suns rays.

blackjack58
04-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Check out Leverage polish. Easy to apply; true once-a-year application. Lots of satisfied customers, including many of the big-dollar offshore racers and poker-run boats.

ghost28
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Ever see a nice shinny Black boat mold. That's what I use, mold wax. It stands up to heat and the suns rays.

you must have arms bigger than phastboats....:D :D

mold wax is a Bit(h to remove.....

i love colinite...works well and holds up....

a good cleaner wax if you need it is meguiars formula 50 cleaner wax....goes on/off easy and produces great results....

most waxes that are designed for cars work great on nice clean shiny gelcoat...if its oxidised or old then they work like crap....

i have to agree that 3m waxes leave alot to be desired...they make killer componds though

Frank Molé
04-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Check out Leverage polish. Easy to apply; true once-a-year application. Lots of satisfied customers, including many of the big-dollar offshore racers and poker-run boats.

THAT STUFF SUCKS,i have a lot left you want it :confused:

stokernick
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
their ads sure sound impressive,thanks for the warning,Frank!

Frank Molé
04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
their ads sure sound impressive,thanks for the warning,Frank!

yes it got me........:o

Mastercraft241
04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
yes it got me........:o
I used it too, bought 2 sets:leaving::eek:. Frank, what do you use??

Davey W
06-15-2008, 12:02 PM
been using that great stuff:DJust bought some more meguiars Tech wax,nice stuff ,goes on easy comes off easy,nice shine:D

Frank Molé
06-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I used it too, bought 2 sets:leaving::eek:. Frank, what do you use??

turtle wax platinum series Ultra Gloss paste wax,works great..easy on and off...then go over it with GLIPTONE BODY GLOSS SPRAY.............you will be very happy...................

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/frankmole/boatdone012.jpg

benski
08-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Be sure not to use dishwashing soap on your pride and joy. This will strip the wax off very quickly. Be sure to use a carwash or boatwash soap specially formulated for the job. Also, a horsehair washing brush will help prevent scratches on the surface. Wash your boat in the shade if at all possible, too.

inspectorlance
08-05-2008, 03:08 AM
Ya ever seen the sun in Port Angeles ? Guess thats not a problem for you. Good tips.

Benski, What you running for a boat ??

Lance

benski
08-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I use Griot's garage products on my boats. They won't burn the finish and are easy to apply.
To answer the next question:
1. 1979 Bellboy 17' deep Vee with120 OMC I/O
2. 1969 Dutchman 17' Spoiler. Engine to be determined, but looking at Merc 85 to 115 hp. largecar 91 has one of these boats in the forum as well. Great looking ongoing project. Safe boating out there!

ct20sutphen
08-05-2008, 01:14 PM
collonite works awsome. My old sutphen looked really bad after the winter but one coat of that kept it looking good al summer.
It doesn't seem to wash off like all the other stuff.

xsflight
12-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Wax is for candles!!! LIQUID GLASS products for 30+ years.

1BadAction
12-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Wax is for candles!!! LIQUID GLASS products for 30+ years.
You brought up a thread over a year old to say that?! :rolleyes: Liquid Glass is ****ing garbage.

It works good to seize up cash for clunkers cars though. :thumbsup:

usamarshal
12-30-2009, 02:37 PM
You brought up a thread over a year old to say that?! :rolleyes: Liquid Glass is ****ing garbage.

It works good to seize up cash for clunkers cars though. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that liquid glass stuff fuked up my buddies paint job and the plastic trim around the doors, wheel wells, etc... The stuff is a joke and a rip off...made for guys that don't want to take the time to do a good wax job on their vehicle/boat with real polish.

specboatops
12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Pledge OR Breast milk :thumbsup: Both work GREAT :cheers:

Chris

twogees
12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
have you ever seen a dull airplane :rolleyes: ? they use collinite.:D

everyday i do.... most airplanes are dull, considering the majority of them don't get taken care of properly

i agree after trying many waxes collinite fleetwax has been my favorite so far. It holds up very well( as long as you don't strip it off) / shines / and is very easy to remove even on porous paint.trust me when waxing a gulfstream or challenger you don't want anything that is hard to remove..
You have auto paint i take it, so dont look for a gelcoat protectant .. the automotive waxes will work fine and shine well but i find that they dont hold up on boats and a/c so you would have to recoat frequently depending on how much you use your boat and where you store it.

for having new paint you will be a good candidate for re-jex sealant.no abrassives and is smooth like water .. not as easy to remove or cheap but works very very well. only good for brand new finishes.

i used to swear by 3m (i still do but only for compounds/ big polishing pads) but found their waxes weren't lasting or helping keep oxidation away. make sure you always use a mild soap and watch your water beads when you wash , it will tell you when its time to wax again. good luck

scrmn3
12-30-2009, 05:22 PM
ZYMOL GLAZER GLAZE has the best results for me.
It should the price is $100.00 for 4 oz
Well worth the money the boat always looks great.

JR IN JAX
05-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Maybe I am just lazy, but the best I have found so far [and I have tried most everything] is 3M Scotch Guard Marine wax.

It doesn't adhere all that well to a "almost clean" surface. If you buff the gel coat with a 3M polishing compound and a wool bonnet first, the Scotch Guard wax will stay forever.

Dave Strong
05-06-2010, 02:58 PM
ZYMOL GLAZER GLAZE has the best results for me.
It should the price is $100.00 for 4 oz
Well worth the money the boat always looks great.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Expensive but don't use lots each time.
Dave:thumbsup:

Ted Stryker
05-06-2010, 09:12 PM
i haven't tried it all, but I've tried a decent amount and My favorite is MEGUIRE'S FLAGSHIP PREMIUM MARINE WAX... A little picy but I like it...

stokernick
05-24-2010, 08:13 PM
I've been using NXT,car and boat!

ridgerunner
05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Is there anything out there that produces an almost waxed look? The Florida sun beaming off my pure white boat is hurting my eyes. I like the Meguire products, High-Tech Yellow, Flagship and the Wax/Cleaner.

1BadAction
05-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Is there anything out there that produces an almost waxed look? The Florida sun beaming off my pure white boat is hurting my eyes. I like the Meguire products, High-Tech Yellow, Flagship and the Wax/Cleaner.
Sandpaper. Grey gelcoat.

I've never been sunburnt as bad as I get in flats boats with white floors. I can go all day in my bass boat with blue carpet with no problem. jump in my buddys flats boat and by 1pm I'm cooked. The midtone colors are a little hotter on the feet, but man its nice being able to see, and not getting focused beams of sun turning the boat into a microwave.

2.5_stoker
05-26-2010, 05:13 PM
i know its all kind of a matter of opinion but i have to go with "nautical liquid glass"...try it once...its worth the extra $$$...also i think its a polimer and not a wax but go's on just like wax and lasts a long time...i did my dads jeep with it over a year ago and it still shines and beads water off like the day i put it on

WharfRat
05-26-2010, 08:04 PM
go with 1bad.........he knows that wax on, wacks off stuff pretty good :D

look at his work on his link

just sayin'

1BadAction
05-26-2010, 09:41 PM
go with 1bad.........he knows that wax on, wacks off stuff pretty good :D

look at his work on his link

just sayin'
Yep. :D

I hate to see people getting $25 worth of product and $75 worth of name brand but I didn't want this to get into a XX brand vs XX brand pissing match thread. If someone likes a certain product, and wants to pay $50 per oz (or $100+ :eek:) that's their choice. In reality, if you prep and apply correctly, any of the higher end carnuba wax/synthetic blends all perform way better than most people can comprehend.

I like chemical guys because they have a complete line that takes both paint and gel from start to finish, their customer service is awesome, their prices are fair, the product is incredible, AND it's made in the USA. Other people may like adams, swissvax, collinite, wolfgang, pinnacle, etc. They all have a super slick shine, but to a paint geek, the type of shine they produce varies on different types of paint. Regardless, its a non-issue for the OP of this thread, gel is gel, as long as it is protected from UV, shines, and the wax is durable, its good.

ridgerunner
05-28-2010, 10:24 AM
1BadAction, I am going after the 23' Whaler this weekend, need to get it shined up and out of my inventory. If I can't bring it up to my satisfaction are you detailing full time?

1BadAction
05-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I sent you a PM. :thumbsup:

morgantwo2
07-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I have been using bass boat saver, and ice. Both work well... i have used maguires flag ship... i would spray that on after the bass boat saver. makes your ride look great though... i have also used maguires spray and wipe... and that works well. Whatever you use make sure you wipe it the whole way in.

yard dog
07-11-2010, 07:37 PM
i have been using Top Wax by Metalwax is a great wax go to wwwmetalwax.com and ck it out its a permium AMS certified polish , they had other great items too well worth the time to read the info , you will learn about wax

whipper
09-02-2010, 04:38 AM
Water 60% Vinager 40% works wonders on gelcoat. Also on everything else seats dash everything rims you name it. Grandma told me about it.:D

jacklake2003
09-02-2010, 06:09 AM
The best wax is wax that you actually use. If you keep on it, you'll be happy with almost any product.

baddjonny
09-02-2010, 06:19 AM
Don't want to steal the thread what wax do you use on your outboards I use TCW3 2 stroke oil and a nice buffing rag.
no wax please for me
jon b

Dave Strong
09-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Water 60% Vinager 40% works wonders on gelcoat. Also on everything else seats dash everything rims you name it. Grandma told me about it.:D

Was told years ago by tech assistance at GM to use same to clean interior, plastic, vinyl, etc. Also works on glass.

Dave