PDA

View Full Version : Art Carlson

Ron Hill
05-14-2002, 11:58 PM
I took almost forty pictures at Art's today........The first is Art and Chad Hill

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 12:00 AM
I think I'll post picture number 21.... This is a twin engine Chrysler Drag Outboard. Gary Ferguson drove it, completely enclosed, no safety belts....no air...

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 12:01 AM
#22...coming off the line at Perris Ski Lake

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 12:03 AM
These pictures are all over his walls..

H2Onut
05-15-2002, 10:05 AM
EXCELLENT

Spreadeagle
05-15-2002, 10:40 AM
Here's one the classic CVX-20 Intimidator- In the process of of a restoration-

Gotta love those pipes

Later

Spreadeagle
05-15-2002, 10:44 AM
Hope to be on the water- JUNE 1 well maybe July 1

Bruce Washburn
05-15-2002, 07:26 PM
For all you Carlson fans there is a Carlson Contender in this months Propeller for sale. Also listed is an 18 foot Switzer Wing that is in California.

Rickracer
05-15-2002, 07:59 PM
...it's an outboard model that needs a new home. It needs a fair bit of work (floor, transom) but the price is right. It's sitting on a trailer I need to get $500 for, and you get the boat for free. It has a dual cable Teleflex system in it that works great too. :cool:

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 10:35 PM
More Carlson pictures..This what was left of Joe Fielder's Glasstron Molinari that he nose dived on the first lap of Havasu... Probably the first glass boat with honeycomb...

If you've seen pictures of the crash.....

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 10:37 PM
Art says this isn't John Castelli, but some how, I remember testing with Art when John was driving my Mod Vp's...

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 10:39 PM
An autographed picture of Mickey Thompson....

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 10:41 PM
A little better picture of Gary Ferguson, now with Advantage Boats, beating a twin Merc off the line... The Carlson had twin Chryslers.... with Parker "legs"..... Art said they kept the canope down with rubber bands... or it blew open at about 90 mph..

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 10:44 PM
The boat in the far background is a Mishey... Built by George Mishey in Phoenix. That was Ted May's. 7- C with Bob Martin's. 444-C was Kenny Pile's... This may have been the first boat Art Carlson every built. The closest boat is a Champion, built from plans with a modified cowling. It was Gary Ferguson's ASH...

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 10:49 PM
vv

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 10:57 PM
More pictures from Art's wall...

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 10:58 PM
Bob Carlson in a "BOBCAT", one of the first Sport C's built for an OMC, when the class was S-NOD..

Ron Hill
05-15-2002, 11:00 PM
I don't even know what some of this stuff is... This is one of the first "Blow Overs" in Modern OPC times...

Mark75H
05-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Ron, could you ask Art about why the CT-15 was 15 foot when the production boats were 14 and 16? I have seen some shots of CT-15's that look like the racing cockpit and cowling were just pop riveted on to a pleasure deck, but the fact that there was no 15 foot pleasure boat confused me.

Ron Hill
05-16-2002, 12:03 AM
Sam:

Email me... I can remember 1960.....but, yesterday...hell...and Art, did seem much better.. We both remembered things about Bill Muncey, like it was yesterday, and Bill died in '84??? '82??? Email me, and I'll run by and see Art.....

I tend to remember that Race Boats were "CUSTOM" and "Pleasure" were production.....The cockpits were pop riveted on...they may have just moved the transom....

I've got many more pictures to post...

Joe J.
05-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Ron, I am not sure, but I think I see a picture of my dad's CT-15 in the coulage on the wall. Does Art have any good shots of it. Of all the boats my dad ever had, that one with the 1250 BP is my all-time favorite.

JJ

Joe J.
05-16-2002, 07:09 PM
If
I can figure this out, here is a shot of my dad's CT-15 at the 1971 Race of Champions, held at Long Beach Marine Stadium.

Ron, can you name the other 3 drivers?

JJ

BK
05-16-2002, 07:22 PM
Joe ~

If you email me the pic, I'll post it for you.

I'd love to see a picture of RJ! Really loved that man.

Bruster
05-16-2002, 09:42 PM
Back when Art Carlson built the Twister he built a sister boat, which he called the "Eliminator" This boat was used at the national boat shows as a display boat, and later sold to a Carlson dealer in Grand Haven Michigan. The boat was used for several years in the Grand Haven Water Thrill Show. I always thought it would be pretty neat to own the boat and asked if I could buy it. Well I did, with a new '77 850XS Merc.
There is no way I would drive the boat with the "capsule" that was on it. The front windshield was made from blue plexi-glass and distorted your vision kinda like 12 beers will. The side windows were like a pill box on the battle field. I tool it off.
I ran the boat with the 850 for a summer, but it wasn't very fast. I replaced that motor with a 1500. That was a lot better, but still not fast enough. The next step was to install a jacked up 1500XS with a Super Speedmaster on it. That was a LOT better. Only problem the boat was pretty light and was really more aerodynamic than hydrodynamic. It wanted to fly. this boat would "air out"!!!! It ran faster than I would care to drive it and I knew it was very dangerous, but still a lot of fun.
I later sold the boat to Dave Fairchild, and just recently was informed he sold the boat to some guy who took it for it's final ride, blowing it over and destroying it. I do not know the fate of the driver. I understand the "Twister" suffered a similar fate. Anyone know anymore details?

Ron Hill
05-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Great story... When the average boat racer/fan thinks "Twister" they think Mercury.....See, I believe many thinks start in California and then move east.... "Twister" was a cool name.....but many on heard of Mercury Twisters....And we gave them that name becasue they twisted their rubber drive shafts off at Parker...

Here's a shot of one "blowing Over"... Gary Ferguson is in the Jones Hydro in the background... I think this may have been the boat called "Black JacK" owned by a guy named Jack......we built the engines... They were 110 Mercury's, third ported by Quincy....

He had a twin and a single....So, engines is right... chromed, Quincy pipes...

Ron Hill
05-16-2002, 10:45 PM
This is Reggie Fountain... It was the only Glastron/Carlson/Molinari to ever be built that wasn't yellow...

Ron Hill
05-16-2002, 10:48 PM
cc

Ron Hill
05-16-2002, 11:04 PM
Far outside is Mike Wallace, who won the race...even though I was ahead of him when I made my pit stop and Fred Hauenstein took over...... Middle looks too big for Renato Molinari or Bob Herring... Don't remember Don Pruett running Long Beach...most of those Mercury drivers were "Fleas".....this guys looks full grown... Roger Johnson....in the Carlson.....(JJ's DAD)..... And the Winningest Offshore Driver in HISTORY is Bob Nordskog in the Glastron/Molinari by Carlson...

This was the Long Beach Race of Champions....Sponsored by Powerboat Magazine

Ron Hill
05-16-2002, 11:23 PM
In 1970, I was really getting out of "Kneel Down" boat racing. I had gotten married in 1969 and OPC Racing seemed to be growing and Evinrude was very good to me...

I had a new twin engine Ron Jones at OMC in Waukegan, and I wanted to run the Lake Elsinore 250 in September the week before Paris. I knew OMC could care less about Elsinore, but I lived in California. My dad had owned 56 acres in Elsinore, my grandmother's house, she was dead, but her house overlooked the lake. I as a kid had walked the dry lake bottom of Lake Elsinore shooting 22 rifles wishing for water. I had helped built my grandmother's house on Rome Hill...

So, I wanted to run the Elsinore 250....and win... I had finsihed 8th the year beore, 138 boats, and was third outboard...Anyway, the Stock Nationals were in Beloit, Wisconsin in August of '70 and my wife's folks live in Janesville,...15 miles from Beloit....

I went to Beloit, with a borrowed boat that I had built...I had traded it for a couch. I carried the boat on top of my '68 wagon, I took 10 gallons of California gas with me, two props and one motor... I won both my qualifiers and both final heats....I started last the second heat of "D" runabout, to be safe on the start, but knew I had speed to win...

Charlie Strang was at the race, he and his mother always liked winners...but my win was described by many "As the most specatular Win of the 1970 APBA NATIONALS." Charlie wonder what kind of boat I was driving. I told him a HILL. He asked if I wanted to build a OPC boat and I said sure, but didn't have the "BREAD"... He asked what it would cost and I said, "$6,000"... Charlie told me to stop by and pick up a check when I was at OMC getting my Jones....

To be continued... posting picture of the Long Beach Race of Champions 1971..

Ron Hill
05-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Monday morning after the Nationals, my wife and I head to Waukegan. I run into Jim Briggs, largest stock holder in OMC at the time...and he tells us to stay the night with him...at his house.

Jack Leek, OMC's race director, some how shows up to Jim Brigg's that evening for drinks...I don't think Charlie Strang and Leek had talked, yet... When I told Jack I was there to get the Jones for Elsinore, he acted like it wasn't going to be possible...to get it ready in time...This is August and Elsinore is the last week of September....I tell Jack, I can wait for engines and I can help put them on.....

Well, Leek is just about "Cooled down" from the Jones deal, when I ask him how I can get my $6,000 check from him.... Or who do I see... In 1970, I made $7,200 a year teaching school...

Leek went nuts... $6,000 from HIS BUDGET?????

Next morning, I hook on the Jones...I figure. IF I don't get motors before the day is over, I'll get my $6,000 check and go up to Mercury and get myself some Mercury motors.... I get the motors from Leek...a Is I'm hooking on the trailer I blow my air schocks... I go down and have two new ones installed.... I give Leek a bill for the schocks and .15 cents a mile for my car...$660 for gas....(Six car payments)...

I know Leek has talked to Charlie......Leek OK's the check, like $7,000 bucks and I head home.... I get home and pay off my $4,500 second on my house and my dad and I build a single engine tunnel...

I lead the Elsinore 250, until a flywheel comes off the counter rotater....AS I'm leaving Elsinore, the inboards are getting ready to start their 250... I shake Bob Nordskog hand and wish him good luck... I shake Lou Brummet's hand and do the same...The outboard guys and inboard guys aren't "fighting"....anymore...the outboards have won...

My wife and I leave for Paris, France, Saturday night...It isn't until I see Bob Nordskog in Belgium on Monday, do I learn that Lou Brummet has been killed at Elsinore.....

I'll continue the saga....

Ron Hill
05-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Back tracking just a little....When September rolled around I was told that OMC didn't have a ride for me in Paris or Berlin.... This would have been my third try at winning Paris...

I made a call to Jim Briggs, and found out he was going to run a boat in Paris and didn't have a driver... He asked, "If I thought John Schubert would make a good go driver.....I said, "SURE"... Jim's kids were getting into racing but were not ready for Paris...

So, I show up in Paris....(OMC'S Plant in Belgium)...Mouse, OMC's head mechanic asked me not to break everything this year, because we didn't get to go to Berlin last year.....I promised him, except I said, "If I can win...you know me...." Mouse looked at me and said, "I'm backing your timing down....." I said like "****" We both laughed.....

In Paris, Schubet and I ran as high as third but ended 7th becasue of a brokem steering... John Schubert got out of the boat at the pit stop and said "Good Bye"...That was October 1970. I didn't see Johnny again until August 2000 at Kankakee, Illinois...(OPC Nationals)......30 years later....

Jimbo crashed a new OMC (Jack Leek designed) hull in the first hour...The next week, in Berlin, Jack Leek wanted Jimbo to start the race in MY (JIM BRIGG'S) BOAT... I made it clear, that I had come to Berlin to win and didn't want anyone driving before me....as it turned out, I started and ended the 6 hour race....and Jimbo and I did WIN...... But Jack Leek's and my friendship had really hit bottom...

By the Spring of 1971, the draft was on my ass, my new boat was done and Fred hauenstein and I were to drive together at Long Beach... OMC spent Friday testing at Carlsbad, but I taught all day... I'd missed all of October....and everyone in my school and in GArden Grove knew I'd be racing at Long Beach...

With little seat time, I started the race and was in 2nd, ahead of race winnier, Mike Wallace, at the pit stop.....We actually had salt water get in the rev limiter, so it wasn't Freddy Hauenstein's fault we didn't win...

After the race, Jack Leek said, "Sell the boat...OMC has made a deal with Scotti for boats and I'll give you a BRAND NEW SCOTTI, if you sell the boat" I sold the boat and kept the money...My dad and I only built one OPC boat, but it was ahead of it's time....set back transom, built in strakes in the tunnel...like today's.

Anyway, getting "RID" of the HILL TUNNEL allowed Jack Leek and I to remain friends, until the next time we got into an argument... which was at the next race...another story....

I'll see if I can find the one picture of that boat...

Ron Hill
05-17-2002, 12:49 AM
FYI:]

Here is a photo of the Berlun Six Hour Trophy... 1st Place 1970

Ron Hill
05-17-2002, 12:50 AM
Jim Briggs also gave my a brand new LawnBoy lawnmower for my house....I told him in Berlin that nobody mowed the lawn while we were gone....

BK
05-17-2002, 09:15 PM
These are Joe J's pictures that I am posting for him.

The first is of Ed Lane blowing over, the accident which caused permanent injuries to his arm.

15 foot Carlson "CT - 15" with twin 1250 bp Merc's.

BK
05-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Dick Scherrer running his twin, 21' Glastron, with Roger Johnson running the 15 footer that he ran after Dick got the twin.

Ron Hill
05-17-2002, 11:53 PM
Ed Lane's accident was at Needles ina race I promoted as Commodore of SCOA... Southern California Outboard Association... Ed came to the race because I'd asked him to come...Many times, I wish I hadn't asked him to come to "MY" race....

Ed was a great guy. He and my father were great friends... My Son, Chad, became very close to Ed over the years...

I think, BK, that Dick Sherrer's boat is an 18 foot Molinari...a single engine, that Dick installed with twins....I should say, I know...the 21 footer was really a "Marathon Racing", Dick set this one up for sprints...

Great pictures...I never saw the one of Ed's crash before....

BK
05-18-2002, 09:43 AM
I thought that was a Molinari too, but was using the info Joe sent with the pic.

And I certainly do remember Bob and Lori Carlson. Remember the fiberglass boat he brought to Puddingstone? I took this picture about 1977 or 78. Sorry the picture is bad. I wish I would have taken a better picture of the new Carlson A. It was so far ahead of it's time. I dont recall why they never became more popular.

Can you name the people seen in the background? I can name about 3 of them....

Joe J.
05-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Ron, you are correct, and I REALLY hate to say that!!!!!! It was an 18 footer, but it is not a pure Molinari, it's a Glastron, the original picture shows the decal clearly.

JJ

Ron Hill
05-18-2002, 10:16 AM
A "PURE" Molinari would be of WOOD....But, You are right I said, "Molinari"...BUT everyone knew the yellow Molinari's were GLASS!!!!

The guy in the hat is my dad. Richard O'Dell next to him with the "GUT", the little girl in the back ground is Dr. Mandy Dawe, the guy without the shirt is Bobby Carlson, the guy with the yellow (Probably a "Ron Hill Props Shirt" is Eric Huhn... who I see several times a year... He fixes our air conditioners...

I won't bet anyone I'm right on all the names...

BK
05-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Wow Ron! You got them nearly all right!

(I was not sure about the identity of little girl, but you are probably correct here!)

The guy without the shirt is actually Mike Nordskog - he was wet because he had just flipped his boat and was coming back to his pit from the ambulance. All the rest you ID'd correctly!

Ron Hill
05-18-2002, 07:45 PM
Check this picture of Joe Fielder

Ron Hill
05-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Joe was leading the first lap in a Glastron Molinari, Rudy Raymos, with a triple left the pits last, and left a major wake...Joe hit that and went "Ass over Teakettle"...

148, is Dick Sherrer...

I was first OMC around on lap one, and I was 4th place......the spray was still in the air when I went under it.....I was sure Joe was killed or that the other 122 boats would get him...They stopped the race and we restarted later...

Ron Hill
05-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Here's a shot of Freddy Hartman......Freddy ran ever Havasu...until he died of old age....He once bought my Mod VP, at Havasu, right as I put the boat on the trailer.... CASH...

Like I pull her up on the trailer and saome guy says, "You want sell that rig?" I go sure...LIKE "$14,000"...when the rig cost $7,000... FREDDY pulls out the cash and pays me.... I had'nt won but was fast..... I had broken a throttle cable and Howard Pipkorn, Mr. Hydrostream, waded out in the water and twisted the wires together so I could finish...In Enduro Racing, everyone helps everyone else... You come to win....but everyone is friends....

Ron Hill
05-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Here is the only picture I have ofthe HILL TUNNEL... Funny, I sold it to some guy...but Al Stoker ended up with it and Al, when he was like 15, ran the boat with a Chrysler on it, at the Parker Enduro. He actually, finsihed in the money as I recall...Not a Top Ten but a class finish...

Joe J.
05-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Ron, the Havasu race when Fielder crashed so bad was the last tunnel boat race my mom ever went to. She happened to be sitting just above where his boat was brought in, and after watching the crowd doestoy the rest of the boat for souveniers, she had enough.

JJ

Ron Hill
05-19-2002, 09:22 PM
I raced a lot of different boats in my life and many may have considered me to be "a lead foot", but I remember setting in my 20 foot, Ron Jones, watching them pull Joe Fielder out of the water and I was sure he was dead. Before they restarted that race my knees were shaking so bad, I wasn't sure I could drive....

I sold that Jones to Doug Fendler, Bob Fendler's (of Unlimited fame), I was going to Elsinore to talk to him about what to do and what not to do in that boat.....He was racing a GN that day, he had crashed it, and as I was getting out of my truck, I was told he was dead.....I never saw another twin engine outboard marathon actually race again, only singles...

Capsules are a wonderful invention....

helmetguru
05-20-2002, 12:29 AM
i think that was one of the the first years my dad raced at havasu when joe fielder nosedove. my parents still talk about what a violent crash it was and how you could see his helmet out there in the middle of the entire field...here is a picture of joe from a drivers party before the race that year, notice the cool yellow glastron molinari jacked on the woman.

about all twin glastron molinaris being yellow except for reggies, i think sirios had a few that were other colors also...but great stuff val and rh

Bruce Washburn
05-20-2002, 09:15 PM
I thought the boats that Sirois had were the factory Molinaris that were all wood.

BK
05-20-2002, 09:29 PM
Buddy --
Do you have anymore Havasu party pics ? Those are cool.

I've got many more, but my scanner quit for some reason, and I can't get it going again :(

Ron Hill
05-20-2002, 11:02 PM
Bruce,

You are right...Team Mercury never had a glass Molinari....but Buddy doesn't take to highly of me when I "JUMP" on him.....

Reggie was a "Rich Guy"....when he got in.... Mercury didn't pick him up for several years...

Chadwick
05-22-2002, 03:20 AM
First off let me say that I was smitten with a Carlson last summer. Driving down the road I saw this little boat for sale, looked low and fast. Turning the car around and stoping allowed me to do more then a double take at the hull design. Seeing that it had the same engine on the other boat I was working on (only one I had) to use as my boat I knew that it should move quite well. After calling the owner and doing a bit of dealing I bought the boat (and ut the one I had up for sale) not even knowing what make it was as the person selling didnt know either (he thought it was a Chrysler). After searching long and hard to try and fine it online (do you have any idea how hard it is to find something only going by a picture) for more than 2 weeks I come across a picture on the classic glastron web site. From there it falls into place that it is believed to be a 1965 or older Carlson Challenger. This is confirmed when I remover the wrapping around the passenger grab handle and see "Challenger" staring me in the face. The end of the season was spent working out the bugs (rebuilding the lower unit etc) on the boat. Winter came and in went carpet and the removel of oxidation thru sanding and buffing. As the new season rolled around the other boat was sold minus the engine which needs a little carb work. Now looking back I can see that twin engine setups were used then and being a person who admires vintage speed of course I desire to run a similar setup. As I have a second engine sitting there now the temptation is simply too much if you know what I mean. Anyway just thought I would share a little about a boat I have come to love and myself.

H2Onut
05-23-2002, 02:42 PM
WOW...what a read, enjoyed every sentence.

The pictures are just incrediable.

Da NuT

Mark75H
05-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Lets see if I can do a little better.......

Mark75H
05-23-2002, 08:49 PM
Trailerboat story about Art....

Includes picture of C-100...the predecessor of the Contender and Challenger

Mark75H
05-23-2002, 08:55 PM
Different angle of the CT-15. You can see the racing cockpit/fin assembly as an overlay better in this pic

Ron Hill
05-23-2002, 11:53 PM
Great stuff, Sam...... When you display Outboard Drags in 1965 and realize Havasu had 125 entries in 1965, a man sometimes wonder how APBA was the "INVENTOR" of OPC racing....AS you know, I claimed OPC started in California years before APBA...

WOA (Western Outboard Association) was backed by McCullough Corp and family... The Mc Cullough (I'm spelling that wrong)... Family started The Havasu Outboard World Championships to sell land and outboard motors...

Anyway, the gentleman in the boat CT-15 is Dick Sherrer.... See, I never wanted my legs under a cowling, dash board or anything else...becacue I'd crashed many times before...and I like to get clear of the MOCHINE when I crashed... Art and Gary always went for looks and aerodynamics...In those days capsules and seat belts were unthought of or unheard of...

Again, great old stuff.........look for thsoe props on Tuesday......or Wednesday....

Ron

Mark75H
05-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Ron!

I think I have identified the 2 blade in that bunch. I'm pretty sure it is a factory Merc prop....in fact a factory Mark 75H prop. I will be lending it to Alterscale to be used on the Mark 75H model, which will be out later this year.

Alterscale Mark75H page (http://www.alterscale.com/Mark_75H.html)

Advance orders are being taken now!

PS: the finished 75 H will not have the electric starter. The electric starter will be on the fishing version which will be based on the same modeling.

Gordie Miller
05-26-2002, 12:36 AM
Hey Ron, thanks for the stories. We need more stuff like that, maybe at the next race we're all at we'll get together some of the OLD guys(a few in particular)and have story time. My old man tells those 100 mile marathon stories(I'm sure Chad, as do I, am amazed you guys were that tough or naive)tell us to go 100 miles in an A or B runabout, we'll tell you, uhhhhhh, are you nuts? Bye the way, capsules allow both you and Fred to still have sons today.

helmetguru
05-26-2002, 03:08 AM
how do you like this picture of dick sherrer in his carlson, crusader 5?

Ron Hill
05-26-2002, 02:22 PM
Thanks, Gordie... But I never drove a caspsuled boat... Sorry, misread what you wrote... Yes, capsuled saved Chad at Parker for sure...and your Bay City crash is 45.. well, I never saw your 120 crashes... But you are right....We still need to work on safety....

helmetguru
05-26-2002, 04:36 PM
i think what he means ron is between him and chad and their collective carnage, without capsules you and fred would be minus two sons..

Ron Hill
05-27-2002, 12:56 AM
Thanks, read Gordie's post right after Indy, and was leaving the house... On my second readin, I got the meaning... and corrected my post.. Pody is nerfect...

Ron Hill
05-27-2002, 11:26 AM
Hey Gordie,

Here is a picture from Power Boat Magazine, September 1967, Vo,ume 1, Number two...of your dad, Fred "Friendly" Miller. This was from an artilce I wrote about the Bay City, 1967 APBA MArathon Nationals (For kneeldowners)....

Dave Severson started Power Boat and a few other magazines... He also, did all the Havasu Programs ....he was a talent, I thought, but usually lacked money. When Nordskog bough Power Boat, his plan was a magazine for POWERBOATS... Bob Nordskog "Fired" me (Dropped small boats) before my second article appeared.... Bob may have been right, little boats meant little money to him, big boats big money....

I never saw any full pages ads trying to sell kneeldown boats....but I liked them then and I like them now...I have not bought a Powerboat Magazine for almost 20 years...

I always thought "Boats was boats"......

Ron Hill
05-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Gordie:

I managed to "Crash" my California "Smooth Water" boat in the first heat Saturday....in "D" Runabout. so you dad "Wihdrew" his entry in "D" Runabout on Sunday and loaned me his boat, a DeSilva that I had helped build... "Slow Gin" would have won the second heat, but I wasn't used to "Rough water" and I burned more fuel than I'd normally use, and had to stop for a "Splash on go"....

Also, your dad was tired from running "B" on Saturday, and as I recall...they "Wild Ones" had a big party Saturday.....Your dad just said, "That 'D' is too much for me today, you can drive it"...I did use my motor, but your dads was just as good...He'd bought it from me....

Ron Hill
05-27-2002, 11:39 AM
This was a picture of the start of "D" and "36"...

Ron Hill
06-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Here is a picture of Bob Nordskog driving a Glastron/Molinari/Carlson...

Ron Hill
06-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Dick Sherrer is driving the CT in both pictures..I think his driving this twin, too...

Ron Hill
06-01-2002, 11:16 AM
All these pictures are on the wall at Art Carlson's Shop in Garden Grove, CALIFORNIA....This Reggie Fountain, Jr., the lawyer from Tarborrow (Spelled that wrong), NC...one of the few Glastron Molinari's not to be yellow...may have posted this already...

Joe J.
06-03-2002, 09:00 AM
Ron, that may be Jim Johnson driving the CT-15. In your picture, is is light blue?

What color is the CT in below the one with Nordskog driving the KT?

JJ

Ron Hill
06-03-2002, 09:09 AM
It is an old black and white photo. But, you could easily be right. Dick, as I recall, always ran a Bell Star helmet. This is an open faced. I never knew Jim or his brother until they started running SJ...

BK
06-03-2002, 12:48 PM
This is Nordskog's diesel... which hull is this?

Ron Hill
06-03-2002, 10:48 PM
I'm pretty sure it is a Marathon Hull built in Colorado...

Rick Garcia
01-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Hi Ron,Do you have any info this CVX?This is the first one out of the Molded made out of kevlar Bill Muncey got the second one.I would like to know if Bill Muncey CVX 20 Sprint is still around or if you or Art Carlson might any picture or info.I know powerboat magazine{jan,1978] has some info with Alan Miller,and Wide World of Sports had Bill Muncey on their Show in 78,79?I have Alan Miller 1978 CVX 20 Sprint Raceboat and I would like to get as much info on their racing campaigned.Thank you and Art Carlson for any info you can give me Rick Garcia

Rick Garcia
01-26-2004, 01:33 PM
pics

Rick Garcia
01-26-2004, 01:35 PM
pics

Chummy
01-26-2004, 04:04 PM
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY MORE PICS OF THE MOD VP'S?

TMc
01-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Isn't it a Carlson

TMc
01-26-2004, 06:08 PM
let metry agin

BK
01-26-2004, 06:19 PM
But the hydro is a KARELSEN, a totally different builder.

TMc
01-27-2004, 07:00 PM
thanks BK

BK
01-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Many years ago I thought they were the same guy too...til I saw a Sport-E boat with the name spelled "KARELSEN" on the side ;)

Rick Garcia
01-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Hi Ron, the picture of Reggie Fountain, in the left upper corner looks like my 1978 CVX 20 Sptint raceboat. If it is could you send Mr Carlson a picture of my CVX.I think he would like to see how it looks like today.He made some COOL boat.Thank you Rick Garcia

2.something
02-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Cool boat
I didn't pay much attention to the plastic stuff back then and never saw one until now.

However.

I do remember Muncies boat being the topic of dinner conversation between my dad and grandpa for about a week back then.

Being the only racer at lake test at the time Dad Got to setup and test the boat before it was sent on to muncie. (I can only assume it one of Don's RX's om it).

Seing the pic I now know what Dad was talking about.

Thanks

FUJIMO
01-08-2014, 04:14 PM
bringing forward a great thread topic from 2004...

Da Bull
01-10-2014, 02:19 AM
I`m glad you did. Great reading.

DB

Frankm246
05-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Old and long topic, but hey these cool boats dont show up every day anymore.
This is a 65 Carlson inboard that im rebuilding, it has the factory back to back seats and reverse gear options and its all complete exept for the 427 engine, headers and the Vance trailer. I had it shipped over to europe last year, had it reflaked in matching bright red and am working on the rebuild of about all parts. The old toploader casale v drive has 17%od, new bearings and seals now, the rebuilt fnr box had badly rusted gears and can not be used anymore as reverse shifter. For engine i have a mild 454bbc with borg warner tranny.
Hope to have her back on the water next year.

Frankm246
05-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I want to put some 60s vintage race numbers back on it. These boats were circle track raced if im correct, does anyone know what class this would have been? Pressent time it would be super stock with a 427ci and pro stock with in my case a 454 (up to 500ci) can it be that back then different letters were used to specify the class.?

T2x
05-09-2014, 03:55 PM
I want to put some 60s vintage race numbers back on it. These boats were circle track raced if im correct, does anyone know what class this would have been? Pressent time it would be super stock with a 427ci and pro stock with in my case a 454 (up to 500ci) can it be that back then different letters were used to specify the class.?

I never saw one of these raced in an inboard closed course class. But I believe one or two did run in marathons like Salton Sea, Berryessa, and Parker. They may also have drag raced at that time. If my memory is correct there was an extra long version made that I think had two V8 engines "freight trained" in the back.

olboatman
05-10-2014, 05:14 AM
Scribed. Gary

Frankm246
05-10-2014, 10:45 AM
The "extra long version" Carlson endurance boat #94 was special build for Mickey Thompson, its a stretched up 18' to 22ft with twin 427s. This one still exists but rebuilt to single hemi. The picture is taken at the Salton sea 500 i belive in 66 or 67.

The others are seen in the brouchures from 65 and 66...dunno what kinda race they where in.
One has "E" (class?) in front of his 777 number.
My plan is to use 65 (year of built) as number but dunno what prefix letter to use that would be time correct.

Frank

akaV153
08-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Art Carlson passed away Monday. RIP Art.

milkdud
08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Dang..

Greg G
08-02-2014, 06:31 AM
What a legend. RIP.

Fulltilt
08-02-2014, 07:20 AM
RIP Mr. Carlson

Instigator
08-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Another of our legends gone.

RIP and God Speed Mr. Carlson.

And thanks to Ron Hill for this amazing, historical thread.

olboatman
08-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Yes R.I.P. Art Carlson-- What a great life story and a Greater Legend!!! Gary

akaV153
08-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the cool boats.

Instigator
08-02-2014, 04:16 PM
What a great shot!

stokernick
08-02-2014, 08:06 PM

RIP, Mr. Carlson, your classic Glastrons kept me forever a boating fan. Your legend lives forever!

mr fun
08-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Art Carlson passed away Monday. RIP Art.

Your in good company, Bless your family. fun out

akaV153
08-03-2014, 12:55 PM
If anyone's gonna be in the neighborhood there's a Classic Glastron/Carlson meet 8/14 - 8/17 in Red Wing. Had something like 42 boats last year. Everything from Jetflites to Scimitars.

We're gonna try to choreograph some kinda "missing man" boat formation to honor Art.

Instigator
08-03-2014, 04:50 PM
We're gonna try to choreograph some kinda "missing man" boat formation to honor Art.

That would be killer. Please post pix's.

Funny that 40 yrs later his boats still stand out from the crowd. Not many can do that.

akaV153
08-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Makes me feel guilty for not being further along on the C500 resto project.

mr fun
08-03-2014, 09:20 PM
This is Nordskog's diesel... which hull is this?

I have been searching for a picture of this boat for as long as I can remember doing searches on the web. I could be wrong, (it's happened a few times in the last hour and a half), but I belive that is the hull that was on the cover of powerboat magazine in about 75-76 of Bob running across a lake out west ( Parker possably ) with a gas motor he ran in the 9 hour, and it was da da da ta da, a "Ron Jones" :thumbsup: and I built all of my imagination around concerning the progression of tunnels getting larger and larger, even ran it by John Crouse shortly after and he said, " It'll never work", Don's already tried it. look at where we are today and try to explain that to Scotty Bagovitch. fun out :cool:

stokernick
08-04-2014, 08:25 AM
These pictures are all over his walls..

my favorites!!

akaV153
08-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Hope to have a few of these printed up before the meet:

olboatman
08-05-2014, 05:42 PM

Please put me on your info list to buy some! Thanks Gary

akaV153
08-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Here's a vid of Art and son John from a few years back. Alzheimers was hittin him purty hard. Went into a nursing home not long after.

http://youtu.be/7ya7cFCwJek

CVX20SPRINT
08-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Makes me wanna go out and polish my CVX20 SPRINT.Even though someone painted over the metal flake on mine I still get all kinds of comments about it when I'm at the lake.The styling on these was light years ahead.Thanks Art for making awesome looking boats.

akaV153
08-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Just got back from the MN meet. Thought y'all might appreciate some "Works of Art" ...

akaV153
08-18-2014, 07:31 PM
More of Art's works:

Y'oughta see the CV 21 aka "Billy Bob boat". Built 502. Purty radical.

stokernick
08-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Classics for sure!! Thanks for sharing!! Feel free to post more pics!!!

akaV153
08-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Few mo:

akaV153
08-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Couple mo:

akaV153
08-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Counted 40 Carlsons & Glastrons this year

akaV153
08-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Here's our "missing man" formation:

(Not bad for a buncha drunks in old Carlsons ...?)

Hope to have a higher res shot of this soon.

olboatman
08-19-2014, 04:50 AM
Great Stuff V153!!! Thanks for sharing with us. Gary

Instigator
08-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Great Stuff V153!!! Thanks for sharing with us. Gary
Ditto

CharlieN
08-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Nice selection of pictures Doug, thank you for them.
At first I was shy bringing my CVX-20 to some places but it gets a warm welcome everywhere and brings back old warm memories to many whom at one time had a Glastron.

stokernick
08-19-2014, 07:43 PM
thanks for more pics, got any more?? Great job!

fxstbf150
08-19-2014, 09:48 PM
I ran across the stretcyed 22 foot boat that Mickey Thompson raced in marathon competition on line a couple of weeks ago. I dont recall if it was on boat trader or iboat but it is in Arlington Texas, for sale at $27,000. A great piece of history!

dockrash
08-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks Art!! Sunset across the bow of a Carlson
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/dunerash/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/9E2BDA31-F1DD-40D4-866E-BFCB7255D8D5_zpsproz0ydx.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dunerash/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/9E2BDA31-F1DD-40D4-866E-BFCB7255D8D5_zpsproz0ydx.jpg.html)

akaV153
08-20-2014, 05:45 PM
More pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12063276@N08/sets/72157646549037516/

akaV153
08-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Here's a 'experimental' CV 21 with two LS6 jet drives:

Greg G
02-15-2015, 06:58 PM
7 degrees outside ............TTT

raymar
05-02-2015, 09:28 AM
I loved my Carlson CV-16/Merc 1400 combo from 1972. It was a great runner and a beauty. Thanks Art!

raymar
05-02-2015, 10:17 AM

Please tell me if you have any of the decals available in memory of Art. Thanks, Ramar.

olboatman
05-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Please tell me if you have any of the decals available in memory of Art. Thanks, Ramar.
Diddo that. Gary

CharlieN
05-03-2015, 07:25 AM
For decals take a look here, http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5393.msg74223#msg74223

olboatman
05-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Thanks Charlie! Gary