PDA

View Full Version : 175 Pro Xs

Cyncwby
06-26-2007, 03:58 AM
Ok guys I'm new to this forum but not to boating, I posted a question reg. the new 175 Pro XS that Merc will be releasing before too long in the comments section but thought I'd repost it here, sorry for the double. Maybe this is old news to you guys but I just saw it on Merc's web site. I'm a fisherman (but still like to go fast at times) so this will be in regards to powering a 22' Bennington 2275 FSI triple tube pontoon with the perf. package. I live in So. Utah and will spend most of my time on Lake Powell and Mead....BIG water so I need some power but I really did'nt want the weight and cost of the 200/225 engine. So...do you think this engine will work on a performance pontoon or would it be too "high strung". Won't be doing any trolling with it so not much ideling around time, mainly for going from point A to B. And what do you think the real HP numbers will be, I've always heard 10% more for the high output engines so that will put it somewhere around 190-195. What do you guys think? Sorry for the long winded but I'm very interested in this engine...Dave

150aintenuff
06-27-2007, 12:46 AM
its heart and soul is opti... and its a fishin motor so it should troll fine for ya.... the basic difference between pro and std is the fuel pressure at injectors and the RPM range... but down at idle speeds the 2 should be indestinguishable... and if it follows other PROXS lines past it should be Near the max of the 10% rule so around 190 hp....

Cyncwby
06-27-2007, 01:56 AM
Thanks 150......I think this will be the perfect engine for my setup, sent Jaco's an email last night reg. price and availability. They got back quickly but said no news yet on $$$$$$$ but will be available by end of summer. Ok with me, don't have the boat yet anyway, I really like the "Carb 3" rating, says alot for Merc's engineering. One last question.....and I know you guys don't do many performance pontoons but do you think the new Merc "Enertia" prop would be a good one to start with?? Any idea on size...say 14 5/8 X 17 ??? just guessing, any help is appreciated...Dave

Scream And Fly
06-27-2007, 02:06 AM
Dave, the 175 Pro XS is going to be an amazing success. It's light, powerful, and awesome on fuel. It uses the 2.5 liter midsection, so weight will not be an issue, also some notes on the 175 (from my upcoming feature):

The 175 incorporates the best features of all Mercury V6 OptiMax platforms:
Uses 250/300 Multi-Strike coils
Uses 2.5XS (http://www.screamandfly.com/home/evaluations/mercury_2.5xs/1.htm) crank and block casting
Uses 200XS pistons, rings, rods, and bearings
Uses 240 EFI SportJet reed plate and blocksThe Enertia is also a fantastic propeller, but I'm not well versed in pontoon applications. You cannot possibly go wrong with the 175 though.

Cyncwby
06-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Thank You Sir !!!! man the news just keeps getting better, can't wait to read your article! I know I,m pretty offbase talking about pontoons with you guys but they are SOOOO damn comfortable to fish out of and spend overnights in coves on these big lakes. I think I have a pretty good dealer down the road in St. George Ut. They sell both the Bennington and Mercs, also Honda and thats what one of the guys was tring to talk me into. He kept saying the resailability would be better with the 150 Honda. I told him I didn't give a sh-- about that cause I plan on keeping this rig for a long time AND I want a Merc on it. The service mgr. is a young guy and he said when the boat comes in that he'll go with me to a nearby lake with a bunch of props to see which one will work best. I think he's as excited about it as I am, anywho thanks to all and I really do appreciate your expertice ........Dave

Scream And Fly
06-27-2007, 02:28 AM
Dave, we're glad to have you here, and any boat is welcome. If you like outboards of any size or year, then you'll like it here a lot. :)

I would go with the Merc over a Honda or any other engine on that horsepower range any day. You'll get lighter weight and better performance.

Greg

Stinky
06-27-2007, 07:24 AM
its heart and soul is opti... and its a fishin motor so it should troll fine for ya.... the basic difference between pro and std is the fuel pressure at injectors and the RPM range... but down at idle speeds the 2 should be indestinguishable... and if it follows other PROXS lines past it should be Near the max of the 10% rule so around 190 hp....

Now this is scary.;) I agree with everything he said.:eek:

scb
06-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Why do you suppose the Merc boys dropped the 200xs? It was a lightweight Opti powerhouse. IMO.
Why go to 175 at the same or more weight?

XSive
07-01-2007, 09:54 AM
The 200XS was dropped simply because they didn't sell enough. The Racing Departments marketing group sucks to say the least.

The 175 rating fits the 18" bass boat market that often have ratings of 175hp. The idea is that the package appears at a price point is alot more affordable than the 21-22 footers.

Extreme
07-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Over here in Europe, we've been told that the 200xs hasn't been dropped, Mercury are just concentrating on the 250 & 300XS as they're more profitable, and the 200XS will be available again in late Sept.

150aintenuff
07-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Now this is scary.;) I agree with everything he said.:eek:
1 time deal... wont happen again...

Cyncwby
07-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Kinda funny, I spoke with an "older" gentleman (I'm 60) at Jaco's yesterday about a price on the 175 Pro XS, he said he had never heard of it. He further went on to say that it probably won't happen for another year or so....if at all!! Anyway I sent Barbara an email in regards to the same question and got a quick response back this morning...when they are available they will be $11,520 plus tax or shipping if applicable....Dave

hsbob
07-09-2007, 10:25 AM
how heavy is that pontoon boat you looking at powering. if tis over 1800 lbs i would use the 175 xs if it exists. it really needs to wind up to get top end. i love my 200xs but its on a HS voyager that weighs 1000#+-. as the saying goes if you have weight you need cubes.

Cyncwby
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
The Bennington book says the 2275 FSI with the performance pkg. (three 25" tubes, lifting strakes, hyd. steering etc.) is 2744 lbs. Last year it was rated for a 150 hp engine, this year the Coast Guard upped it to 225 hp. Performance tests showed it would run 35-38 mph with a 150 hp Yamaha 4 strk. I,m figuring with the 175 Pro XS and the right Merc Enertia prop I should be looking at 44-47 mph, which would be good enough for me.
Lets remember this is a 22' pontoon boat with couches, live wells, trolling motor, 3 batts, bimini top and all the comforts of home. I don't want the expense, the gas consumption or the weight of a big block thats why I started drooling when Greg basically introduced me to the 175 Pro XS in his article. I think it will work out perfectly for my application since I don't want a 4 stroke and I've always loved Merc's. This engine has a C.A.R.B 3 star rating, better than some 4 strokes, weighs 391 lbs., has Optimax technology, probably will be pushing 190 hp...whats not to love...Dave

Riley7
07-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I currently run a Manitou 22' SHP, which is their triple tube performance package with the inner tube being 4" larger in diameter than the outer tubes, and also on a lower drop mount. This allows the boat to ride on the center tube and the strakes, and when cornering it'll drop to the inside tube and corner just like a V-bottom. If you haven't been on a Manitou, you owe it to yourself to test drive one before you buy any other 'toon. I'm running the 225 H.O. E-tec (248 hp), and this package will GPS at 54 mph consistently. Best number, with the toons clean, me alone, and light on fuel was 57 mph. One thing you need to remember with a toon is that there is a pile of drag there, and it takes A LOT of power to see small mph gains....and not so much HP as torque. I think you're a little optimistic on your mph numbers running the 175 Pro XS on that particular package. With a crew and the normal gear on that boat, you're going to be lucky to break 40 mph under real world, everyday conditions.....especially if the tubes get a little gunk on them. My boat will lose 5 mph in a hurry if I don't keep an eye on how clean the bottom is.

1meanstream
07-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I had a 200xs shorty on a V-king and it was an outstanding motor. The performance and fuel economy were awesome.

Cyncwby
07-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Hey to each his own......Manitou is a nice boat but I like the layout of the 2275 FSI and its options, and if it doesn't go 45 or so then oh well. I'm not doing this just for the sake of how fast it will go, this is a FISHING boat to be run on big lakes (Powell and Mead) so thats why I want to have some horse power to be able to get from A To B in a relative hurry if need be along with some decent fuel economy.
Now if I wanted to go REAL fast.....and had a lot of money I'd buy that 26' Playcraft pontoon that set the speed record in '03 @ 81 mph. It was powered by twin Pro Max 300 Mercs, I,ll bet that was one hell of a ride, thanks for your input......Dave

dspencer
07-14-2007, 06:46 AM
I heard that the rpm range of the new motor is going to be 5500-6000. Thats not going to be a high spinner. Release date later this month.