PDA

View Full Version : Elbie Kronenberg...R.I.P.

T2x
06-18-2007, 08:12 AM
I learned over the weekend that Elbie Kronenberg passed away earlier this year. Elbie was one of the original 3 partners in Image Boat co. (with me and Don Lostumbo) when we created the Shadow Cat and Shadow 21 Vee.
Although we had a tempestuous relationship, Elbie helped a lot in my OPC career and was a key player in financing the Shadow projects. Elbie was a character and hard to figure sometimes, but his experience and marine industry connections were invaluable. Though legally blind, Elbie could always be found driving around in one of his Jeeps or prowling his beloved Hockenjos Boat Co. on Lake Hopatcong in NJ, and we had some fun times there. He was predeceased by his wife, Carol, who was one of the kindest people I ever met. He is survived by his son Mark, whose lifelong (40 years and counting) battle with cancer was the basis for our "Race for Life" concept back in the 70's, and younger son Eric.

In the end he fought the good fight and will be remembered as a colorful, unpredictable soul who made a difference and got a lot of talented people started in all aspects of the marine business.

May God grant him peace and a smooth ice boat ride with Carol in Heaven..

T2x

JWTjr.
06-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow...I guess I forgot about Elbie. Bought more than a few motors, Ski-Doo snowmobiles and of course gas and oil from Elbie when on the lake. I remember him as a nice guy, a bit odd but a good guy nonetheless. I can recall not buying several new in-the-crate Mercury Sno-Twisters for $1000 each from him when he was trying to get rid of them after Merc got out of the snowmobile business in 1976. Of course I wish I bought them...

JT

Melissa
06-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Yes, Elbie will be missed around the Lake Hopatcong area. He was a character and everyone knew him. He loved his marina on the hill, you could almost say he was never on the level (I always hated going over there by car and having to walk up that hill !!) I worked for his competitor just down the lakefront for many years and resided on the lake for over 20 years. It always seemed to me that he and Carol were total opposites - He could be ruff and gruff and Carol was always so nice, but they were both always willing to help. Hockenjos was their life and it was a very BIG part of the marine community on Lake Hopatcong. I am very sorry to hear that he passed away. As T2x stated, he and Carol are together again !

Melissa Sherlock and family