PDA

View Full Version : Just bought me a Wizard 12 Powermatic

Capt.Insane-o
05-13-2002, 09:12 PM
Pretty damn good shape too. Coils are shot. I'm going to go through the magneto and carb, and re-seal the gear case + new water pump and see how this "12" screams.:eek:

2Blade
05-14-2002, 11:16 AM
I think that motor has the same powerhead as the Super 10 or Mark 20?...it ought to run real strong. Do you have a 2 or 3 blade prop and how does she look cosmetically? Has anybody been into the powerhead or does it still have that factory wire seal? Anyway, cool motor. Reid.

Mark75H
05-14-2002, 12:21 PM
Depends on the exact model. Wizards were basically made with leftover Merc dies and parts. Some were the odd 18ci size, rather than the normal 20ci. The best model Wizard is almost a Mark20H....forged flywheel, roller bearing center main bearing and Phelon ignition etc.

Normal Wizards and Mercs have a cast flywheel that isn't safe above 5,500 rpm. There have been cases of them flying apart and causing injuries. These flywheels have fairly defined edges where the forged flywheel looks more like a cereal bowl turned upside down.

Not all of the motors with forged flywheels have all the goodies inside.

What are the numbers on the model number plate? WN7 or something like that? Which flywheel do you have?

LakeRacer99
05-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Surf on over to this site, you may find some interesting info on Wizards...
I saw a powermatic 12 there. Looks like you might have a Mark 25 in Western Auto clothes.

http://www.pfs-ware.com/kwast/wizard/index.htm

Jason

Capt.Insane-o
05-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Just a little faded from the years. Needs coils and wires, water pump, fuel pump, float and needle and seat and lower re-sealed. Not too shabby. Should have most of that done by 2 or 3 today.:D

Applnokr
07-02-2006, 12:12 AM
I have an old Wizard Powermatic 12. It is frozen up and I cannot turn the crank at all. I think there is rust in the lower cylinder. But it is completely intact with all parts. I was about to pitch altogether but thought someone might be desparate for parts out there. Email me at Applnokr@aol.com.

mk30h
07-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Sam, I always wondered about the 18 cu inch models. Were any of these parts used for the 18 cu Mark ten which had the new split crankcase?

AirRide
07-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Wizards were made with left over Mercury dies? Wizards(Western Auto) were purchased from Kiekhaefer Mercury just as they were built for them, by Mercury. They were essentially a private label Mercury outboard of the day. AirRide

Mark75H
07-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Wizards were made with left over Mercury dies? Wizards(Western Auto) were purchased from Kiekhaefer Mercury just as they were built for them, by Mercury. They were essentially a private label Mercury outboard of the day. AirRide "Just as they built for them" is correct; but if you are saying Wizards are simply rebranded Mercurys like Mariners, you are dead wrong. Wizards differ considerably from their concurrently built Merc cousins. Many Wizards were produced with half the reed valves the simular Merc had, smaller carbs, lower ports etc. Many Wizard models vary from batch to batch on exactly which crankcase die was used depending on what was being used for Merc production at the same time. Some of the -7 Wizards are nearly Mk20H clones, some are closer to KG7's, some are hybrids depending on what parts were available when they were assembled. A 12 hp Wizard was only 12 hp, a 10 hp rated Merc that looked the same was really closer to 20 hp.

I never said Wizards were built AFTER Mercs or that they weren't built by Mercury, but I will stick to my "built with left over dies and parts" description. Mercs were being raced at that time and had to be produced according to the spec's Merc had provided to APBA and NOA. Once a die wore out of spec, it could not be used to make more Mercs, but could make plenty Wizards

There is nothing wrong with the Merc built Wizards, they are as sturdy and well built as any Merc of the day