PDA

View Full Version : Honda 20 vs. Tohatsu 18

kitjv
06-11-2007, 11:54 AM
I am trying to decide between the Honda 20 & Tohatsu 18 O/B. Is the power output of the Honda significantly greater than that of the Tohatsu? If so, is it worth the additional price compared to the Tohatsu?

Thank you!

Kit:confused:

CSD23
06-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I just recently purchased a new 9.8 tohatsu for my 12' jon and I love it. It's extremley quiet and doesn't use any gas. I felt it was definatley worth the cost savings, but thats just me, I haven't had a honda, yet. My uncle just bought a little skiff with a 35 honda and likes it.

kitjv
06-11-2007, 09:20 PM
I've heard the same positive comments regarding both the Tohatsu & the Honda. I'm just trying get some idea as to how much more power the Honda 20 makes compared to the Tohatsu 18.

NNT
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I have a 2004 40hp Nissan with about 30-40 total hours on it,mainly because it's been in the shop time and time again with carb problems. I am also disapointed in the corrosion resistance, especially the trailering bracket which appears to be just painted steel.The cables froze up and had to be replaced as well. All of these items shouldn't have gone bad with such little use and the overly catious way I wash,lubricate,put away and keep the boat covered up in a garage. In all I am VERY unsatisfied with it and IMO I would look at a Mercury or maybe one of the remaining 2 stroke 15 hp Johnson/BRP motors. Don't buy into the hype that "All the commercial fishermen run these Nissan/Tohatsu's" so they must be bullet proof...................BShttp://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

HONDAM
06-12-2007, 10:48 PM
In my opinion the Honda is more then worth the extra money. I cant compare performance but i do have plenty of experience with the Honda motors. Honda stands behind their product better than any one else out there and are now offering that True 5 year warrenty on all of their engines. Honda may not be the best choice for all you guys trying to get every last mph out of your rig but you can beat them for being quiet, reliable, and fuel efficient.

What kind of application are your looking at? Because Honda does offer a Power Thrust option to help pushing around the heavier loads.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o103/hondam/Checkmate/Pulsare/101_0819.jpg

150aintenuff
06-13-2007, 11:48 PM
I DISAGREEE with you on reliable as I yesterday took a brand new in box 150 and 5 hp and both had MAJOR mechanical problems directly out of the box.... the 150 was showing water in the oil after start up.. the 5 hp wouldnt run at all above 1200 RPM.... both motors are back at the dealer that provided them and are being swapped for other engines..... the 150 replaces a blown up honda 150 that let go in the middle of a clients 800 mile trip from astoria to lewiston idaho.... so 1 boat... 3 motors within 40 hours of operation.... not good in my book.... ill stick to yamaha for 4 stroke power... and for anything biggert than 25 hp ill go find a carb or EFI merc....

as for this thred is the tihatsu 2 or 4 stroke.... if its 4 stroke go find a 15 merc.... its the same identical motor... the 20 hp honduh is weak for 20 hp...... good as a kicker for fissin boats but as far as primary power goes they are about equal to a strong 15... not worth the $$$ in my opinion

150aintenuff
06-13-2007, 11:54 PM
the powerthrust option is a 4 blade prop.... BFD..... for high thrust apps ill go yamaha every time..... its hard to beat a 12" diameter big ear 3 blade for movin loads.... even yamahas 8 comes with a 11.75" diameter 5.5P high thrust and the 9.9 uses a 12.5" diameter prop..... hondas are about 2" smaller.....

Scream And Fly
06-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Get the Merc 25 EFI, which is a joint engine between Mercury and TMC :) The EFI system does not require a battery - very cool.

http://www.screamandfly.com/home/features/mercury_tech_update_2006/images/008.jpg

150aintenuff
06-15-2007, 01:56 AM
sorry greg i couldnt resist........

Get the Merc 25 EFI, which is a joint engine between Mercury and TMC :) The EFI system does not require a battery - very cool.

oh you mean merc bought the rights to paint it black........ oh and install their prop.... cause that is about the only 2 merc built parts on it..:p :p ... but it is a cool little motor given the fact that its EFI and requires no seperate batery to power the controllers for the injection...

*DISCLAMER* this was ment as a joke... on the off chance someone doesnt get it.....

Scream And Fly
06-15-2007, 01:58 AM
sorry greg i couldnt resist........
oh you mean merc bought the rights to paint it black........ oh and install their prop.... cause that is about the only 2 merc built parts on it..:p :p ... but it is a cool little motor given the fact that its EFI and requires no seperate batery to power the controllers for the injection...

Actually, the Mercury/TMC motors are almost a 50/50 joint effort.

150aintenuff
06-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Honda may not be the best choice for all you guys trying to get every last mph out of your rig but you cant beat them for being quiet, reliable, and fuel efficient.

quiet=verado
reliable= Yamaha
Fuel efficient= OPTIMAX

humm merc wins 2 outa 3..... yep ya can... so what does hinduh do well.... cause it aint the 3 listed here...

NNT
06-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Them Japs are PROUD of thier parts. I just got back from my Nissan dealer to get a price on a steering arm, ya know those bars that cost $25-50 tops for a Mercury or OMC,so you can hook your steering cable to it. Nisans price $155!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Trying to see if I can make a Mercury or OMC arm work in a few minutes :D

150aintenuff
06-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Them Japs are PROUD of thier parts. I just got back from my Nissan dealer to get a price on a steering arm, ya know those bars that cost $25-50 tops for a Mercury or OMC,so you can hook your steering cable to it. Nisans price $155!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Trying to see if I can make a Mercury or OMC arm work in a few minutes :D
merc arm for same HP is probably the same.... and it aint the japs... its the price of stainless rightnow.... its friggen sky high.

NNT
06-18-2007, 02:09 PM
merc arm for same HP is probably the same.... and it aint the japs... its the price of stainless rightnow.... its friggen sky high.

Dude this is for a 40 hp carbed motor on a 13 Whaler, not a HIPERF part. $155 is criminal.

150aintenuff
06-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Dude this is for a 40 hp carbed motor on a 13 Whaler, not a HIPERF part. $155 is criminal.
i agree... what is the cost for the merc part.. i be willing to think its identical...

NNT
06-18-2007, 05:13 PM
i agree... what is the cost for the merc part.. i be willing to think its identical...

Like I said a few posts up "$25-50" all day long on Ebay for new stuff, even cheaper if you'll take a used part. I would hate to price a Honda or Nissan part thats a little more involved than a steering arm :eek:

150aintenuff
06-18-2007, 05:47 PM
yea no kidding..... my luck with hondas is putt putt rrrrr bang... new motor under warranty... putt putt rrrr bang..... or spudder spuder doouh.... no start... new motor... same gig over again.... so let me see... 4 hondas 1 ive owned... 3 for customers... all never got beyond break in... yet others can run them for years and not even change the plug... grey aint for me..

NNT
06-18-2007, 06:02 PM
The Nissan 40 I have on my fathers 13, is definately the LAST Jap product I buy if I can help it. I only wish Mercury had a compareable(40 hp,15" shaft,PT&T,controls,etc) outboard at the time(2004).

150aintenuff
06-18-2007, 06:24 PM
The Nissan 40 I have on my fathers 13, is definately the LAST Jap product I buy if I can help it. I only wish Mercury had a compareable(40 hp,15" shaft,PT&T,controls,etc) outboard at the time(2004).
i am fond of yamaha for a jap motor... havent had a single problem and the only one that has seen the inside of my little yard was in for a general WP and tune up since the owner just bought it. i hear ya on the SS PT&T thing for merc... i got a seaswirl id like to repower but to do so would need to build it as a 20" transonm

JW
07-12-2007, 07:13 AM
I've had a 15 Honda since 1999 that first powered my 14' aluminum boat, and now powers my 24' pontoon boat. ZERO issues since day one.

I got so sick of messing with the old evinrude and merc 2-strokes I put on the back of the pontoon. Now I can go putt around the lake with a QUIET and RELIABLE motor that burns 1/3 the gas the 18 evinrude burned...........

gotboostedvr6
05-17-2008, 01:43 AM
I have a 99 50 Yami and a 02 25 yami both 4 stroke never any problems or anything i needed to replace or fix

codprawn
05-17-2008, 08:22 AM
It all depends what you are going to use it for. Is the Tohatsu a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? If it is a 2 stroke i would definitely go for it as it is a lot lighter than a Honda 20. If not then both engines are brilliant anyway.

mercmack
05-18-2008, 12:56 PM
you'll see both merc and tohatsu have a 20 hp 4 stroke now...both short and long shaft with elec start and a power tilt....and in my area there are planty of merc dealers for service..:D

150aintenuff
05-18-2008, 06:34 PM
you'll see both merc and tohatsu have a 20 hp 4 stroke now...both short and long shaft with elec start and a power tilt....and in my area there are planty of merc dealers for service..:D

they are the same motors...... save for paint...

bworner
05-18-2008, 08:01 PM
I Think Get The Merc New 20hp, More Service Centers Than Honda And Tohatsu Combined, You Will Pay More For The Merc Than The Tohatsu Because Of It Being Black With The Red Sticker, But Like I Said In My Im Honda Makes A Great Little Pontoon Motor/anchor, Yes Honda Accords And Civics Are Great And Their Bikes Kick Butt, But They Dont Seem To Care About The Marine Industry, If They Wanted To Invest Some Cash They Could Kick All Asses, But Marine Is Such A Small Segment Of Their Corporate Vision, Call Around You Should Find Instock 2007/2008 Tohatsus For Cheap Becuase Of The New 20hp That Was Just Released, Make Sure You Check Pricing Though, Hope That Helps