PDA

View Full Version : LOWERING a 4WD Ranger?

WATERWINGS
05-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Who would do such a thing?

ME

I will never go mudding with it, and the only reason I got a 4 x 4 is for the rare bad/wet boat ramp.

I lowered my last truck for looks, (2WD), but found out how nice it was to get in and out of.

I don't want to CLIMB UP to get in my truck.

I want the seat AT LEAST level with my butt.

This is nicer in and out, and it wont wear out the edge of the seat.

The Ranger has torsion bar front end, (not familer with) and regular leaf spring rear, (thats no problem.)

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

John

1BadAction
05-31-2007, 09:21 AM
you need torsion keys and an alignment.

1BadAction
05-31-2007, 09:28 AM
also, there is a bolt for adjustment that you can probably get a 1" drop out of without the keys, but to get the drop you are looking for you'll probably need the keys. Might be worth it to find out what 2wd trucks used torsion bar suspension and start with the parts from them, THEN adjust the bolts to lower it a bit more.

WATERWINGS
05-31-2007, 11:21 AM
So far I haven't been able to find any torsion bar keys for lowering a 4WD Ranger.

The idea of getting some torsion bars off of a 2WD Ranger might be a good one.

I will look into that.

The rear I have done before, so no problem there.

However, the rear has a 2"-3" "block" that is in the springs, that I can take out without having to buy shackles or hangers.

If I can't lower the whole thing, I would at least like to get it to sit level, and that should get my driver seat down a little.

Ripper
05-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Please post a few picts when it gets done... We would like to see it finished... or a Before and after shot would be cool too...

Ripper

wheeliejones
05-31-2007, 11:54 AM
The torsions are really easy. Just like the toyota. Follow the torsion back towards the firewall/cab area. It most likely about a 1 inch to 1 1/2 bolt. Grab your most powerful impact wrench and start loosening them. This will drop the truck as far as you want. You can take it to the ground if you really wanted too. The problem is now your camber and caster are way off. The only good way to do it and get miles out of your tires is a drop spindle. Should be able to pick them up for about $100 a side. You can lower it about 2 inches with out much camber issues.

Riverman
05-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Drop spindle on a 4WD? :confused:

wheeliejones
05-31-2007, 12:27 PM
I know it funny to say Riverman. Almost all 4 wheel drives have the same spindles as the 2wd trucks. The only thing missing is the axles going threw the middle of them.

wheeliejones
05-31-2007, 12:29 PM
It might be a upper/lower A arm drop. I don't know the year of ranger you have.

WATERWINGS
05-31-2007, 02:02 PM
So far, I haven't found a company that has any parts for lowering a 2001 Ranger 4 WD......the rear shouldn't care what kind of drive it is. ??

Are you saying that I can use 2WD lowering parts just the same as if it WAS a 2 WD?

I will try to get some pics of it the way it sits now.

I don't entend on SLAMMING it, just dropping it some.

wheeliejones
05-31-2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.djmsuspension.com/Products/ProductsByMake/Ford/98RangerParts.htm

And yes the 4wd should be the same as the 2wd being your changing something that really has nothing to do with the 4wd. The only thing to make sure is the axles angles aren't over the % that ford wants. I really don't see it being a problem. I have lowered and raised 4wd 4runners. Not a issue at all.

1BadAction
05-31-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't entend on SLAMMING it, just dropping it some.

in that case take out the rear blocks and loosen the front adjustment bolts to where you want it to sit. drive it to the alignment shop and they will align camber and toe to where it needs to be and your set.

pyro
05-31-2007, 04:12 PM
...and don't forget the sticker when you're done:

NO FAT CHICKS
TRUCK WILL SCRAPE

wheeliejones
05-31-2007, 04:16 PM
lol, I need to get one for my boat.

NO FAT CHICKS
OR MY BOAT WON"T BREAK 70!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

chynewalkr
05-31-2007, 06:42 PM
channel the body over the frame if all else fails:D

150aintenuff
05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
you must be short.. to get the sseat level with my butt on a ranger it requires a 4" lift.... but Im long legged.. you should be able to go 2" up or down from stock torsion senter and have it still within alignment.. and taking out the rear block will level the truck perfectly.. .they sit 2.5" up in the back from factory... take out the 3" block and drop the bars 1" and you will be right there and still look fairly stock.. the FX4 and the base ranger use the same suspension and have a large ammount of ride height difference so there is LOTS of room to adjust.... if I remember right the torsion bar adjustment nut is a 19MM and if it has Half the travel of the yota I had you will be able to dial in upwords of 4" total adjustment with that 2" of thred travel... also as you go lower your ride will get softer..

WATERWINGS
06-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Sounds like I am set without having to buy shackles or hangers.

I hope it will solften up some, it rides like a Log Truck now.

Here are the "before" shots.

150aintenough,

Not really short, (right at 6'), and pretty long legs too, but I have to raise my ass to one side to get up in there, and I want to just sit without climbing.

150aintenuff
06-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Sounds like I am set without having to buy shackles or hangers.

I hope it will solften up some, it rides like a Log Truck now.

some how i doubt that..... haveing driven a log truck i will almost garrantee that it doesnt...

WATERWINGS
06-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Growing up on a Saw Mill, I have ridden/driven many, but I'm sure ours were much older and pieced together than any of the nicer/newer ones.

1BadAction
06-01-2007, 09:14 AM
If you want to know what a lumber truck rides and stops like just jump in a C3 vette :eek: lol.

WATERWINGS
06-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Does anyone have a way to look and see if the torsion bars are the same on the regular Rangers vs the 4x4's, (Edge)?

The suspension guys say there are NO lowering kits for the 4x4 rangers, ESPECIALLY the Edge. ?????

The rear end of my truck doesn't know its a 4x4..........why wouldn't the regular lowering kits work on the rear? (not that I really need them, removing that block in the rear will get me close to what I want)

If the regular Ranger torsion bars are lower (softer) I could get some from the junk yard and put them in there, otherwise, I could just relax the ones I have now all I can, then match the rear to the front.

Anybody have a parts book that would tell me the differece in the torsion bars?

1BadAction
06-06-2007, 09:18 AM
the torsion bars arent different, its the key that sets the torsion bar angle that would be different... unless its changed from the way they have been doing it since the beginning of the tbar suspension. before you look for parts let the bolts looser and see where it sits. :D

Wile E. Coyote
06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Dendoff Springs , A Bell Tech vendors web page says Bell Tech has the parts to lower a 4x4 Ranger . Jim (One Bad) has already told you your easiest route to a mild lowering job , and you refuse to listen to him either . Some how I think this thread will be about a productive as the one you had about set up on your Quater Shot . Why ask if you want listen ? Rich Martin 018:rolleyes:

WATERWINGS
06-06-2007, 01:59 PM
DAMN.........I USED to love everybody on this site...........:D :rolleyes:

1BadAction
06-06-2007, 04:42 PM
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/images/items/DJM%20Red%20Ranger_lg.gif

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/K3098-23.html

yea that'll work on a 4wd. [/sarcasm]

WATERWINGS
06-07-2007, 09:04 AM
You're right 1BadAction, the Suspension Connection kit is only for 2WD. Waterwings, try Eibach's front-only lowering spring kits (they fit the Ranger 4WD) & when you call Summitt Racing, ask about the drop block kits for the rear end:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EIB%2D3588%2D520&view=1&N=700+150+4294908331+4294925130+4294839061+4294907827+4294924666+4294839915+4294907043+

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/eib-3510-140.jpg

No coils in the front, (torsion bars), and blocks would RAISE the rear, (on a Ford)

WATERWINGS
06-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I guess the "EDGE" is what is killing me?

Looks Like the regular Ranger has coils?

jphii
06-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Just put a Trophy on it John, it'll be fine:D :D :D

WATERWINGS
06-07-2007, 11:07 AM
HA............

Luckly I have a cheek for each of you..............:D ..........PUCKER UP !:eek:

Pro300x24LD
06-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I didn't read this whole thread, but we once had a guy come into the shop I worked at andasked us to lower his 4x4 s-10 blazer, I installed lowering blocks in the rear, new shocks. In the front I just undid the torsion bars until the truck was on the ground. Got an alignment and called it good, He never really had any problems with it that I know of, and I saw him and the truck for 2-3 years after dropping it.....

I don't know if the ford is spring over or under in the rear, but a 2wd kit will work if you can't simply put blocks on it....for the front, just take the adjustment bolt clean out for the torsion bars and go get an alignemtn

1BadAction
06-07-2007, 09:16 PM
In the front I just undid the torsion bars until the truck was on the ground. Got an alignment and called it good,

thats what we told him to do but it made too much sense? lol :confused: I WISH my TBSS was that easy to lower. :o

150aintenuff
06-07-2007, 11:07 PM
you can make an edge a std 4x4 just by loostening the tensioners as MANY of us have said.... look where the bars mount in the frame at around the T case... you will see 2 roughly 3/4" headed bolts.... just back them out about 2/3s of the way and you will drop the truck 3 inches... remove block and you are good to go.

150aintenuff
06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
: I WISH my TBSS was that easy to lower. :o

got yer gas axe..... ya can lower anything..

mercpunk
06-08-2007, 05:36 AM
man im happy im not in your shoes :D

The lowering kit I found has new control arms , spindles , coils , leafs , and high compression shocks quite a deal at $ 510.00 . at any of the following drops 4-5-6 :D

mercpunk
06-08-2007, 05:36 AM
But all yea I drive a chevy :p

1BadAction
06-08-2007, 06:10 AM
got yer gas axe..... ya can lower anything..

not with airbag springs in the rear :eek: besides, hot springs are for spas and white monkeys in the snow, not trucks :D :D

150aintenuff
06-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Growing up on a Saw Mill, I have ridden/driven many, but I'm sure ours were much older and pieced together than any of the nicer/newer ones.

the bad ones have pad suspension... its cheep but it aint winnin ove any smooh ride contests...

150aintenuff
06-08-2007, 09:05 AM
not with airbag springs in the rear :eek: besides, hot springs are for spas and white monkeys in the snow, not trucks :D :D

move the brackets... not real hard...

WATERWINGS
06-08-2007, 09:08 AM
....for the front, just take the adjustment bolt clean out for the torsion bars and go get an alignemtn

I can take the adj. bolt COMPLETELY out?

3" of drop by cranking out 2/3 of the bolt?............ GROOVY

Cool, it sounds almost to good to be true.

Thanks ya'll, I know I sound hard headed, but I wanted to hear as many ideas and angles as I could get.........

jphii........I STILL may put a Trophy on it:D

Once again, Thanks to all who put up with my thick sculled knuckleheaded self.

1BadAction
06-08-2007, 09:11 AM
move the brackets... not real hard...

yea thats it, even if there was room to slide the brackets up 3" im going to cut up a brand new vehicles frame with a torch like a moron ricer. please do yourself and others a favor and never work on anything mechanical.

150aintenuff
06-08-2007, 09:11 AM
you can take the bolt all the way out.. but then you risk loosing all tension if the keepers fall out so leave it in atleast the length of the diameter of the bolt...

150aintenuff
06-08-2007, 09:15 AM
yea thats it, even if there was room to slide the brackets up 3" im going to cut up a brand new vehicles frame with a torch like a moron ricer. please do yourself and others a favor and never work on anything mechanical.
1 bad.... you arent cutting the frame... just the botom bracket and replacing it with a longer one dropping down below the axle... effectively bringing up your axle and lowering the truck... it has nothing to do with a moron ricer.. when kits arent available those Who want one BUILD it theirself.... dont you work on a CNC machine...... built youself a set of dropped mounts and weld them to the axle..

1BadAction
06-08-2007, 09:20 AM
they are airbags, you cant move the mount on the axle... besides buying 3" shorter bags is easier than cutting steel apart. lol.

150aintenuff
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
they are airbags, you cant move the mount on the axle... besides buying 3" shorter bags is easier than cutting steel apart. lol.

airbags have to mount in a cup on the axle... move that cup forward. mounted on the bottom of the axle it isnt hard.. and it would be cheeper to do as well than 2 new shorter air bags...

1BadAction
06-08-2007, 09:27 AM
you're fukking delusional and clueless. to make that work I would need to relocate both top AND bottom mounts. the bag mount is directly on top of the axle.

next you are going to tell me the paint is red not blue :rolleyes:

150aintenuff
06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
you're fukking delusional and clueless. to make that work I would need to relocate both top AND bottom mounts. the bag mount is directly on top of the axle.

next you are going to tell me the paint is red not blue :rolleyes:

duh.... the top bracket is not welded on to the frame.. its riveted... (where the gas axe comes in...) move forward.. not difucult.... and your paint osnt blue either... its photochop..

LAPLANT
06-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Have You Checked Aim Ind. They Have Or Can Get Kits For Just About Anything.
Also Wacth Your Cv Axles We Lower My Buddies Explorer And When Put Into 4x4 The Axles Sounded Like Rocks In A Blender

1BadAction
06-08-2007, 09:51 AM
duh.... the top bracket is not welded on to the frame.. its riveted... (where the gas axe comes in...) move forward.. not difucult.... and your paint osnt blue either... its photochop..

its riveted? Really? News to me, you might want to call GM and tell them they have been building trailblazers wrong for the past 8 years. :rolleyes:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/NORCALSTI/TBSS%20DROP/passside1.jpg

150aintenuff
06-08-2007, 10:29 AM
i stand corrected.... ok then just remove weld. move forward reweld. even easier.

WATERWINGS
06-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Got her down almost as much as I can in the front, still need to go down more in the rear.

I dropped the front 2", and the rear 2-3/4", I still think I need to take the helper spring out to get the rear down some more.

Here is before and after.

I want to go with lower profile tires with wide wheels, but I'm not sure that 295/50's will fit on this one.

And if this is about all I can go down, then I may leave a taller tire on, cause I don't want alot of gap between the fender and the tire.

150aintenuff
06-18-2007, 09:09 AM
close... you can either remove the helper or just keep about 100 lbs in the bed

LAPLANT
06-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Looks Good

WATERWINGS
06-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks ya'll

If I take the helper out, I may have to put on some air shocks, (poor man's air bags), to get the back level, and to help with heavier loads.

Thats the way I did my F-150 and kept the air low, (15-20 lbs.) unless I had a load in back.

RNM018
06-18-2007, 07:47 PM
OkJohn ,Now your on the right track . Removing the helper spring will proably only lower the truck by the thickness of the spring ,seeing as it isn't under load till you weight the truck down . You souldn't need the air shocks if your only carring moderate loads . You may even consider removing the first short spring instead of the helper spring . When you get this combination worked out ,then consider a tire wheel package as the Wilderness Offroads need to go . I'm not positive but you may find that Factoy 5 lug Mustang wheels will fit your Ranger. I like using a Factory wheel because it made it look like a Factory Installation of a Limited Edition .Just a thought , Glad you where able to get it worked out to this point . Rich Martin 018:cool: P.S . Jim , I can lower your TrailBlazer in a heart beat . Just need a Pocket Knife!!! :eek: :D

flubyu
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I lowered my 4x4 F-150 with new torsion keys and a shackle/hanger kit in the rear...I got a 4"/5" drop making it sit just a little lower than a stock 2wd...NO REGRETS! I'm like you, I never go off the highway with the truck and just use the 4x4 when it's slippery.

WATERWINGS
07-09-2008, 11:16 AM
For some reason, the "Edge" doesn't offer the different torsion keys, nor the lowering shackles.

I can only assume that the shackles would work on the 4WD edge, (after all, the rear end doesn't know that its 4WD.)

But according to the lowering people, (Stylin Trucks, I believe) there are no lowering shackles for the 4WD Edge.

I even got them to do a search for me, and still the same answer.

flubyu
07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, you are prolly right. The Edge being based on the 4x4 truck weather it's 2wd or 4. Really I would think you could maybe use the parts from the 2wd?

Pro300x24LD
07-10-2008, 09:51 AM
i stand corrected.... ok then just remove weld. move forward reweld. even easier.Are you drunk?

Pro300x24LD
07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
For some reason, the "Edge" doesn't offer the different torsion keys, nor the lowering shackles.

I can only assume that the shackles would work on the 4WD edge, (after all, the rear end doesn't know that its 4WD.)

But according to the lowering people, (Stylin Trucks, I believe) there are no lowering shackles for the 4WD Edge.

I even got them to do a search for me, and still the same answer.forge the keys and all that drama, just pull the bolts right out. It will drop the front down nicely for you.

Did that on my last Z71. Bought some stiffer shocks to compensate for the lost spring rate in the torsion bars and was good to go....let me see if I can find a picture.

Pro300x24LD
07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Before and after

WATERWINGS
07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
NICE !:cheers:

1BadAction
07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Before and after

the 99-02 chevy body style is hands down my favorite. I'll end up with a short wheelbase step-side with a manual trans one of these days...

RNM018
07-10-2008, 05:26 PM
BAD , how's the Tahoe/Blazer project coming along ? you been making much headway on that ? Rich Martin 018:cool:

1BadAction
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
BAD , how's the Tahoe/Blazer project coming along ? you been making much headway on that ? Rich Martin 018:cool:

yep, collecting parts now mainly. Got a bone stock ls1 short block for a good price and a set of Mahle pistons, keeping an eye out for forged rods and 6.0L heads. 4L60e from the 99 was a factory replacement and dyno'd out perfect. the wiring harness is stripped of all the emissions BS and has new connectors for 60lb injectors. I have the parallel 4 link ready to weld up when I get the body off of it. :eek: I ended up getting a complete factory front clip off a 94 work truck for 200 bucks also. now I dont need to jack with fitting an aftermarket fender or any of that BS. :D

hosejockey4506
07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
the 99-02 chevy body style is hands down my favorite. I'll end up with a short wheelbase step-side with a manual trans one of these days...I miss that truck and the 175,000 miles it had on it. Rode almost as good as my new truck, had damn near the same power, and got damn near the same mileage. Only downfall was it was getting a bit older, tranny was getting close to hating me and my towing style, and the cab corners and rockers were thinking about starting to rust.

NICE !:cheers:Thanks.

hosejockey4506
07-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Ooops, still logged in under my brothers name....signed up_koktoy

17actionANT
07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
i wish my 2000 2wd ranger was 4wd i would of had that thing ski high already... but its hard to find lift kits for a 2wd 2000 ranger.. i put 31x10.5 tires on there and i added an extra leaf spring in the rear to hold more weight.

WATERWINGS
07-16-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't know, my milage with the 4wd, and 4.0 motor is terrible in town, and not so good on the highway either.

I was told that because even in 2wd, it is still turning all the 4wd parts too.

Nice shot of the cop car in the background in the second pic.

17actionANT
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
i have the 3.0 motor and its sucks down some gas man V6 3.0 sucks

mercpunk
07-16-2008, 03:31 PM
o all the tech talk im sure glad i have an s10 everything is so easy !

17actionANT
07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
yeah ill trade yah!!!!!!!!!!!

benski
07-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I would just go get a 2WD and save all the effort, but that's not really what we're all about, is it? Be sure to take before and after photos, and keep us informed as to how it's going. Good luck.

wbones9
07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I lowered my 4x4 F-150 with new torsion keys and a shackle/hanger kit in the rear...I got a 4"/5" drop making it sit just a little lower than a stock 2wd...NO REGRETS! I'm like you, I never go off the highway with the truck and just use the 4x4 when it's slippery.
year? pics?

cpowe
08-08-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't know, my milage with the 4wd, and 4.0 motor is terrible in town, and not so good on the highway either.

I was told that because even in 2wd, it is still turning all the 4wd parts too.

Nice shot of the cop car in the background in the second pic.

If it were turning all the 4wd parts it would be in 4wd. The only thing it's turning in 2wd that a regular 2wd truck doesnt is the gear in the transfer case between the transmition and rear driveshaft. As far as your mileage goes, look at which ranger you have. Extra cab, 4.0, 4x4 = worst mileage for rangers. I have one myself just a bit older, 93 model and average 17 around town and 21 - 23 on the highway. I had an Edge like yours but a regular cab and got worse mileage than that.

www.rangerpowersports.com (http://www.rangerpowersports.com) has plenty of information on lowering a ranger and very possible someone there that has already done what your trying to do.

I know on the older trucks 83' - 97' that had the same frame design for all 14 years you can take the rear spring hangers off, flip them over and swap sides and it lowers the back end 2". Not sure if it applies to 98' up trucks but check out that site and you will find what your looking for.

Pro300x24LD
08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
If it were turning all the 4wd parts it would be in 4wd. The only thing it's turning in 2wd that a regular 2wd truck doesnt is the gear in the transfer case between the transmition and rear driveshaft.
No, many of todays trucks spin the front axleshafts while in 2wd because there is no longer a lock out hub. Some do still have vacuum hubs to keep the front axles from spininng, but not all.

Take a 97-06 jeep wrangler for example, there is no disconnect of any sort for the front axle, so you still spin the axleshafts and in turn the gears and front driveshaft.

hotdaddy27
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Before and after

That Chevy looks really nice.

I don't really care for the "slammed look", you made a good choice of height IMO :thumbsup:.