PDA

View Full Version : D40x?

pirogue
05-25-2007, 12:46 AM
thinking of getting this package
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=494401&is=REG&si=acc&showAll=1#more_accessories

it will be for family shots and racing shots.

what else would you recomend buying, battey, ext card, etc?

not looking to spend much more than advertised price.

thanks

Scream And Fly
05-25-2007, 12:56 AM
That kit is fine as it is, but you'll need a longer lens for racing/sports shooting.

pirogue
05-25-2007, 04:01 AM
Greg, what would be more suitable for racing photo's.

Nikon 55-200mm F/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens$169
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NK55200G

or

Tamron 70-300mm 1:2 F/4-5.6 LD Macro FS=62 AFD for $159
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TM70300LDMCRNA

this deal may work out better with the addition of the lens above?

Nikon D40x Digital SLR Outfit with 18-55mm Zoom Lens
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKD40X1855

thanks for the advice

hsbob
05-25-2007, 10:00 AM
there's a 40 kit that has the 18-55 and something up to 200mm. that would be a option. for general picture the tammon, sigma, nikor all have good general lens. goto www.photodo.com (http://www.photodo.com) and do some reseach verse the money you can speed. i use a sigma 70-200 2.8 in that range but its $800, greg uses the nikon equ and its $1400. another way to go is to buy the body and use a 18-200 lens [not the best but usable for general photos] plus it covers a long range. Every time you change lens there's the chance of intruducing dust into the CCD. use a bag and always change lens with the lens pointing down

Casey
05-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Craig if you buy the D40x kit just go ahead and get the 55-200 to match the 18-55 that comes with the D40x and as long as it's a sunny day it will take nice racing pictures.

are you sure you don't want the D80? have you looked for a D50? you may regret the 40 later

either place is a safe place to buy from. I've used both

here's what i use mine for most of the time now

http://cgudgell.smugmug.com/photos/155994260-M.jpg
http://cgudgell.smugmug.com/photos/155994158-M.jpg

pirogue
05-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Corbin sure is growing, i hope his father is paying child support, i know that handsome lil fella aint yours:) j/k.

looks like i'll miss him at westlake also. we'll have a whole nusery at the races.:)

the d80 looks expensive. i even thought about the d40. i really didn't want to spend a grand on a camera and lenses. but not turning advice down, just need direction.

hsbob, thanks for the response, if i had money like you greg and casey, i would have that nice stuff:) my ole lady would hang me by the balls if i spent her hard money on that:)

Redneck
05-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Still cant believe that high end stuff is going digital. I'll stick with my Canon A-1 and 35mm film.

Casey
05-25-2007, 03:44 PM
looks like i'll miss him at westlake also. we'll have a whole nusery at the races you're coming aren't you? it will be his first race. Mt Pleasant was just to cold and rainy for them as I'm sure you know.

I'll stick with my Canon A-1
I've still got my old AE-1 and AE-1p and my Grandfathers A-1 plus quit a few real nice lenses. I've also got a Nikon N80 that's only had a couple of rolls through it. Trust me when I say that you will never touch a film camera again after using a D-SLR, they're that good.

pyro
05-25-2007, 04:04 PM
)
the d80 looks expensive ... I really didn't want to spend a grand on a camera and lenses...

Worth every penny.

Redneck
05-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I've still got my old AE-1 and AE-1p and my Grandfathers A-1 plus quit a few real nice lenses. I've also got a Nikon N80 that's only had a couple of rolls through it. Trust me when I say that you will never touch a film camera again after using a D-SLR, they're that good.

I have had a few digital cameras, just never liked them as much. Sure, its easier to get pics on the net, but I have a cheap Kodak for that. I like to shoot some b&w, and I like to develop my own film and pics. If I have Photoshop and knew how to use it, I might change my tune for some things, but I like working with film. I also have 2 Canon F-1's. I dont use them much (one is new in the box, never used) because you cant find parts for them anymore. I like a camera that doesnt tell me what shutter speed its gonna use. I use manual settings. Takes skill, instead of just point and shoot. But if I dont feel challenged, I get bored quickly.

pyro
05-25-2007, 04:56 PM
That's what the "M" setting is for on the dial. Auto-nothing. You can also ignore the meter in the viewfinder if you wish.

Redneck
05-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Yea, but its still not an F-stop or a shutter speed that you pick. Just a freeze frame video camera. But, Im old school in a lot of my thinking. Digital just dont seem right to me.

Scream And Fly
05-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Yea, but its still not an F-stop or a shutter speed that you pick. Just a freeze frame video camera. But, Im old school in a lot of my thinking. Digital just dont seem right to me.

Actually, all of the high-end film bodies have all the same features of their digital counterparts. Most of the lenses I use are essentially film lenses - same goes for most pro-level setups. The lenses have not changed, although both Nikon and Canon have digital-specific lenses for the APS-C size sensors. Also, the first-generation digital bodies were just converted film bodies. All digital SLR bodies can go full manual, allowing the user to dial in shutter speed, aperture, etc. The D2Xs and D200 I use lack the full-auto modes that the D40, D50, D70, and D80 have. I keep a D50 and a D70 as a backup and use them from time to time and they easily get the job done. I actually shot the entire 2007 Miami Boat Show with a D50 and Nikon 12-24 F4. Either way, same principles apply with digital and film. If you're an experienced film shooter, you'll feel right at home on a digital body.

As for the D40/D40x, both are fine. The D50 has a better AF system than the D40, and the D80 has an even better AF system than the D40/D50. I do not believe that difference will matter much for shooting boats. Give me one of those little bodies and I'll show you what they can do :) The lenses you choose will depend on several factors - what you're shooting, shooting environment, and your budget. As Casey mentioned, the very light and compact Nikon 55-200 VR is a steal at its $250 price, and shoots great photos.

Casey, those photos of Corbin look great!

Greg

Redneck
05-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Might have to look into some digitals. Never looked at the high end stuff. Thought it was just a better version of the cheap cameras.

Scream And Fly
05-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Thought it was just a better version of the cheap cameras.

Oh no way - the digital bodies are just film counterparts. Actually, in some respects, they are better. Just about all pros - especially sports shooters - use digital bodies now. Go to any NFL game and all you'll see on the sidelines are digital bodies. :)

Redneck
05-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Cool, I will take a look at them. Dont know when I will buy another camera, but it another option to consider. Untill then, the A-1 shoots great pics, and Ive got some lenses that would be really $$$ to replace. Between what I had, and what I got when my dad passed away, Ive got 23 different lenses, some really high dollar stuff. My dad always wanted to do sports photography. Sometimes I wonder how he afforded some of this stuff. Dont think he ever told my mom what it really cost.

Scream And Fly
05-26-2007, 01:52 AM
The A-1 was a great camera - I believe it's one generation before the EOS lens mount, which is what all current Canon camera bodies use. I have an EOS film body here somewhere...

The Big Al
05-26-2007, 02:51 AM
Still cant believe that high end stuff is going digital. I'll stick with my Canon A-1 and 35mm film.

Still got mine and the A7 also.

pirogue
05-26-2007, 09:35 PM
cannon rebel xti would that be a better buy than the d40x because of the auto focus motor or is it the same situation with the canon.

Scream And Fly
05-26-2007, 09:54 PM
I believe the Rebel XTi has a better autofocus system than the D40x. Other than that, both cameras are comparable.

pirogue
05-27-2007, 07:11 PM
thanks for all the advice on the digital camera forum and research on pixel and cannon vs nikkon etc. i pulled the trigger on this from buydig.com

Nikon D40 Digital SLR Camera Kit w/ 18-55mm Zoom Lens and a Free 1GB Memory Card.

Nikon 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor, With Nikon 5-Year USA Warranty

Mack Five Year Total Digital SLR Warranty Certificate (up to $1000)

I bought the warranty cause i used a mack ext. warranty on a video camera, it helped out, i'm pretty rough with ****. i went with the d40 cause ya'll said pixel's isn't that important, so i spent the money on 55-200 vr zoom lense.

thanks

be ready for plenty questions:)

pirogue
05-27-2007, 07:14 PM
oh yea all for under $900, a lil more than i wanted to spend but i think i'll be happy

The Big Al
05-27-2007, 08:20 PM
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3896/camera-test-nikon-d40x.html

Scream And Fly
05-27-2007, 11:33 PM
The D40 is fine. 6 megapixels is more than enough. Always remember that more megapixels does not mean better image quality. If that were the case, then many pros would not be using the 4 megapixel Nikon D2Hs (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/372904-REG/Nikon_25219_D2Hs_Digital_Camera.html). The megapixel war is marketing programming to make the general public believe that more is better, which is not always the case in this situation.

The lenses you got are also good - you're all set with that kit.

pirogue
05-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the info Greg, i read an article http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm on the d40 and what he said coupled with what you said on pixels and my budget i decided on the d40 and 2 lenses to get started.

hell i don't even know how to properly use a camera. most functions beside the auto:) will take some time to get accustomed to.

leaving on a cruise jun 2, hope to get good use out of it.

thanks again.

Scream And Fly
05-28-2007, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in everything Ken Rockwell says, though he may be correct at times. :D

Casey
05-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Greg I thought he was your hero ;) :D ;) :D

Craig next time I see you I'll help you set it up and give you some pointers. Have fun on your cruise and don't worry I'll drink your share for you next weekend

Scream And Fly
05-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Greg I thought he was your hero ;) :D ;) :D

Haha, of course. We all like Ken. :D

I do read his stuff - it's entertaining. He makes good points, but also contradicts himself too. I don't think he's the pro me makes himself out to be, but I could be wrong. I've seen images from photographers that make my heart skip a beat. Of course, I'm just a sports shooter. :)

Lamar Standish (Apollo Imaging) is an extremely versatile and amazing photographer. He's someone I would listen to. :)

Greg