PDA

View Full Version : What about Harley's

Vamp1
05-09-2002, 09:13 PM
Does anybody else Ride?

Vamp1
05-09-2002, 09:18 PM
First day I pulled it off the assembly table.

Vamp1
05-09-2002, 09:19 PM
First Ride.

NPK2003
05-09-2002, 11:01 PM
Post a picture of your new hog for us S&F folks!;)

No. Not of the bike! We all know how cool Harleys look. We just want to see you in boots and leather! Any FRINGE BABY! :p :D :p :D

Scream And Fly
05-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Uh oh, the Harley guys won't like this:;)

Vamp1
05-10-2002, 01:04 PM
I had one of dem too. Fun.Fun.
It doesn't matter to me what knda bike you're riding. As long as your Riding.
Keep it on one wheel......... I mean two wheels. he.he.

Vamp

PhastBoat
05-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Daytona 900:D

DAVEBB
05-22-2002, 08:37 PM
HERE IS MY BIKE

RB in NM
05-23-2002, 11:50 AM
Here's me and Sis,,, this one was stolen from the Easyriders Shop last year,,,three weeks before the Sturgis ride....figures,,,sucks bigtime. Got another wide glide, but currently got her in a miliion pieces ....Russ

Talon2.5
06-04-2002, 12:02 PM
sweet bikes gentlemen!! vamps bike is the style thats been on my mind, love them harleys, RB sorry to hear of the theft!!

RB in NM
06-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Don't know what happened to that Picture I attached,,,it turned out friggin' poster sized.....

I'll have my new ride back together in a few more months,,,been slow working on it. I've been spending to many hours on the Alli and my "Harley Fund" is a little dryer than the "Allison Fund" right now.

Later, Russ

Vamp1
11-20-2002, 09:41 PM
First Ride.

Charlie M
11-21-2002, 12:00 AM
Doesn't run on rice

Scream And Fly
11-22-2002, 12:07 AM
But I don't think you wanna meet me at a light ;)

Greg

Hydrovector
11-22-2002, 08:27 AM
Ordered a 2003 100th anniversary Sporster Custom.

Scott Gilmore
11-22-2002, 09:30 PM
I like V twins too !!! Here's mine :D

CompKing
11-24-2002, 01:40 AM
Vamp I'm not the Harley type but ride with some Buels and am thinking about getting a XB9.:cool:
Scott I love the Italian stuff but I'm 6'6'' and just don't fit on the Ducks:mad:
PhastBoat I'm with you this year got a 2002 Sprint RS 955i.Wanted a sport bike I could take off for the weekend with:)
Greg gota like the rice rockets I ride my freinds R1 or superbke when ya really want ta have fun:D :D

XS4U7566
11-28-2002, 11:12 AM
To me it does not matter what you ride as long as you like what you ride Greg.

XS4U7566
11-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Sometimes it is best to have one of each, depending on how i want to ride depends on what i ride Greg.

vector mike
11-28-2002, 12:11 PM
I'm with you. I had a modified 750 GSXR too. Just sold it a couple of years ago. I'm also into going fast and handling rather than slow and making noise. :D Sorry Harley guys! :rolleyes:

Charlie M
11-28-2002, 05:46 PM
I kept quiet all through the talk about the fast rockets, but that slow and loud ****. You know harleys can be made fast also. Contrary to popular belief this is indeed true. I am looking for the vedio when I took my first harley bike with come friends down to US 13 Dragway and clicked of a 10 second pass. My friend convinced me to bring the bike out when he showed up one day at my house with his new bike, a GSXR 750. Well to make a long story short he was very pissed when I busted his ass all day long, every time we took off from lights I made it clear to anyone that was watching the Hog was faster. Now I couldn't do anything on the top end but anything up to arround 120 his ass was following me.

vector mike
11-28-2002, 06:18 PM
I love to get in these Jap bike vs. Harley's arguments. How many Harleys can you buy that run a 9 second quarter mile right off the showroom floor? "0" That's how many! And how much money did you have tied up in that Harley compared to the guy that had the stock 750? HUH? I bet you had atleast 3 times as much money. I could go on and on with these comparisons but I would get alot more people pissed off at me than I have already. :D

Hydrovector
11-28-2002, 06:32 PM
So much then how come you don't have Jap Motors on the back of your boats?

Scott Gilmore
11-28-2002, 06:46 PM
1. Hydrovector, so from your post I'm assuming you run a Harley motor on the back of your boat :eek: ?

2.Vector Mike, your post couldn't be more CORRECT :D , keep up the good work !!

3.Charlie M, SURE I see Harley's every day puttin the smokes on GSXR750's :( :eek: . Your Harley must have been SO FAR FROM stock it's pitiful :eek: . Too bad you had to stop @ 120 because a newer stock GSXR750 will keep pulling HARD past the 170mph mark !!

vector mike
11-28-2002, 06:48 PM
I don't own anything Japanese anymore. All my vehicles are GM and my outboard is Merc. I just think that the Harleys are an old design and they need to redesign their motors to keep up. In superbike racing they were letting them and the other twins run 1000 cc just to try to give them a chance against the more refined 4 cylinder 750 Jap motors. But they still couldn't keep up. Harley even gave the sport bike champ at the time (Scott Russell) a big contract to ride for them and they still couldn't win let alone even finish a race. He stayed with them for 2 years before realizing that if he stayed with them any longer that he would probably never win a race again. :D

Hydrovector
11-28-2002, 06:55 PM
working in the Foundry Industries I've seen too many plants closing because lost work from imports, so I try to buy American when ever possible. Mercury Casting makes castings for Harley. they Die cast the Twin Cam engine cases. Mercury Marine is our largest customer that we make castings for so if people keep buying import motors I see our work thin. just my two cents.

Kathleen Michelle
11-28-2002, 07:04 PM
Any bike you ride on ..... on the open road feels fast!

vector mike
11-28-2002, 07:07 PM
Don't hate me because I like to go fast for cheep. The Harleys just cost too much to make them compare with their Jap rivals performance.

Charlie M
11-28-2002, 07:57 PM
Shure they are a bunch of fun, hell of a rush for a stock bike. But in my opinion they are boreing on the long run. That bike I buil up, I ended up getting rid if it, due to it busting **** constantly. Ever twisted all the spokes out of a rim at one time, ever sheared off the bolts holding the sproket on, broke the trans constantly, clutches would not even come close to holding up. I could go on and on, but you know what my next bike was..........another Harleyand the next will be another harley. And outdated......well thats the way I like it as well as many other people would never want to see an end to the ole push rod air cooled V-Twin (think they should put the side valves back on it

I feel about the bikes the same way as the cars. I can't see my self in a civic (or something like that), with the 8" boooo-waaaa pipe coming out of the back. Shure that young punk may wipe my ass all over the road, but I'll get the trashy hose-bags every time. Chicks dig these.

Just a little while ago I had a twin turbo supra, I'll have to admit it was way faster than the Corvette, and probly better in every way than the Vette, but after I got the Vette I was afraid for someone that I knew to see me in a jap car.

As far as my favorite brand car, I have Chevys, a Ford and a Dodge. Thats my favorite... american made.

Favorite outboard either a merc or a johnson like em the same

bulldogdaddy
11-28-2002, 08:27 PM
ever see one of these?

bulldogdaddy
11-28-2002, 08:30 PM
well it can't post a pic,says its to big and can't figure out how do make it smaller.but look up stazs american motorcycles,and look up the borgets,they are sweet.a little pricey but sweeeet!

GT
11-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Seems like a whole bunch around here do ride & thats all that matters.

PhastBoat
11-30-2002, 01:40 AM
Best of both worlds- Very nice!!!

CompKing
12-01-2002, 04:05 PM
How bout a peroxide rocket powered Harley:eek: Every 1st thur.of each month theres a bike get together here and some different stuff shows up.This is Ky Michaelson aka The Rocket Man's.It has 2 1500 lbs thrust rockets or 6000HP!!:eek: :eek:and was used to jump 27 buses!!
Hope Techno dosn't see this or he'll be putting some on his boat:D

mikesufka
12-01-2002, 06:29 PM
Gentleman:

Here's my other red "toy".

Scott Gilmore
12-01-2002, 08:13 PM
Hey Sufka, is that the OLD DUDE plexi windshield option:eek: ?? Face it.....YELLOW'S just faster than red !! Scott :cool:

CompKing
12-03-2002, 09:57 PM
Found a pic of the rocket Harley in flight:cool: Only jumped it one time and crashed hard I heard:)

weedwacker
10-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Quote: "If you guys like Jap stuff so much then how come you don't have Jap Motors on the back of your boats?"

Because import bikes are the best there is.

To me a better question is "Why would you have a hi-perf merc on a fast tunnel or v-hull and then buy a harley? Imported bikes are faster, quicker, handle better, more reliable, more comfortable, smoother riding, etc.... A performance boat and a Harley...thats like someone getting a CBR900RR or an R-1 and then buying an old bayliner with a chrysler outboard on it because people think bayliners are cool. :confused:

Raceman
10-03-2003, 10:24 PM
Here's mine, a hundreth anniversary Low Rider. This is actually a picture from the brochure because I don't have an actual picture of mine in this computer, but it's the twin.

Raceman
10-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Whack, there's one important detail you overlooked in your analogy. My Harley will likely bring what I paid for it next year and the year after, or damn close to it. If somebody buys one of those Jap V Twin wanna bees, they're likely to be starin' a 25% loss in the face the first year. If I wanted a Jap sport bike, I'd go buy a CBR Honda, or the Kaw or Suzook equivalent, but for a V twin cruiser, it's gotta be the real thing, not a copy.

Raceman
10-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, if it makes you feel any better, I've got a CB750K Honda (74 model) and an H2 Kawasaki (73 model 750 two stroke triple) and a Triumph Bonneville (72 model). The new Harley's by far my favorite and I'm too old and fat to ride a Jap crotch rocket over 5 miles without a backache from hell.

racerx
10-03-2003, 10:53 PM
JUST SOLD A YAMAHA RZ 350 NEW YOU COULD BUY THEM FOR 2150 OUT THE DOOR JUST SOLD IT FOR 4400 THAT DOULBED IN PRICE NO 1985 HARLEY CAN DO THAT?THE GAMMA MAN STILL SMOKES HARLEYS.RACER X

PhastBoat
10-03-2003, 11:11 PM
:D

Raceman
10-04-2003, 05:57 AM
"JUST SOLD A YAMAHA RZ 350 NEW YOU COULD BUY THEM FOR 2150 OUT THE DOOR JUST SOLD IT FOR 4400 THAT DOULBED IN PRICE NO 1985 HARLEY CAN DO THAT?THE GAMMA MAN STILL SMOKES HARLEYS.RACER X"

No doubt there are a few pearls in a sea of rocks. There are some other Yamaha examples: TZ 750 road racers, 74 model YZ 250's or the super rare 74 model YZ 360. I'm sure there are others, just like anything unusual in most any brand. Harley has their share too. The old Harley Hummers that cost hundreds now bring 5K + in good original condition or restored. The old 20 + year old Sportsters do pretty well around here now also, as do the old pan & knuckleheads.

Vector77
10-04-2003, 11:36 AM
I'm not trying to start anything with this post, but I found out the following. When you buy a new Harley 50% of the content is made by Honda per Harley spec in this country.
I first heard this while attending a Honda school about 3 weeks ago. This week I was on Capitol Hill (Dirkson Senate Office Building) attending an educational summit and spoke to several Honda educational VPs and they confirmed it, but didn't know what parts were made by Honda. Does anyone have more information?

GP-1
10-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Raceman
"JUST SOLD A YAMAHA RZ 350 NEW YOU COULD BUY THEM FOR 2150 OUT THE DOOR JUST SOLD IT FOR 4400 THAT DOULBED IN PRICE NO 1985 HARLEY CAN DO THAT?THE GAMMA MAN STILL SMOKES HARLEYS.RACER X"

No doubt there are a few pearls in a sea of rocks. There are some other Yamaha examples: TZ 750 road racers, 74 model YZ 250's or the super rare 74 model YZ 360. I'm sure there are others, just like anything unusual in most any brand. Harley has their share too. The old Harley Hummers that cost hundreds now bring 5K + in good original condition or restored. The old 20 + year old Sportsters do pretty well around here now also, as do the old pan & knuckleheads.

You're getting good money for an AMF Sportster?? Around here you can't give away a POS like that...

mr.clean
10-04-2003, 06:10 PM
:cool:

racerx
10-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Vector 77 Honda is more american made then a Harley i am told its all made hear in the USA. Harleys have a lot of jap parts on them but they will tell you its american made and people beleive it.look at the v rod who enginnered that motor made in Germany.OMC 4 stroke boat motors who did they call for help Suzuki or how about Mercury who did they call for help Yamaha now why wouldnt are big outboard motor companys call HARLEY for help?

Raceman
10-05-2003, 08:58 AM
"You're getting good money for an AMF Sportster?? Around here you can't give away a POS like that..."

GP, I'm not doing any buying/selling myself, but there's a guy close to here that's kind of an eccentric collector with about 300 Harleys, and it seems like he can easily sell anything he's willing to part with, which ain't much.

RacerX, I'm not real sure that outsourcing parts is exactly the same as calling somebody else for help. Unfortunately, in the international corporate universe, everybody outsources parts for any of several reasons, usually involving price. The GM/Lotus/Mercury Marine Corvette ZR1 engine program is a prime example. Even after Merc was touted by GM as being among the finest casters of alum. blocks in the world during the ZR1 program, Merc subsequently turned to Cosworth to cast the second generation 3.4's. I don't know anything about Harley's outsourcing of parts, so any opinion would be speculative at best, but I'd find a claim of a high percentage of Honda parts in a Harley to be somewhat suspect until it's well documented.

There's a 3rd generation Buick/Cadillac dealer here that's been in business for 75 years or something like that. His father and grandfather were pretty sharp, but they're long dead and this guy is likeable, but pretty goofy. When the car business was in one of it's down cycles 10 years or so ago, he had a bunch of bumper stickers printed that said "hungry and out of work? eat your Toyota". He's always been on his soap box about American's responsibility to buy American, but he can never answer the question about why GM cars have so much foreign content on the now required content sticker or how that effects American jobs. I've always found it amusing to bring it up with him whenever the possibility arises. You'd think after all these years he'd think about it and come up with some kind of excuse/response.

Capt.Insane-o
10-06-2003, 02:12 AM
:rolleyes:

Hydrovector
10-06-2003, 10:41 AM
I will ride with anyone with two wheels. Just like boating. We go boating with anyone it doesn't make a difference if you have a Merc, Johnson, Evinrude, Yamaha or Ally, Hydrostream, Baha, Checkmate, ect. Love what you ride!!!

Liqui-Fly
10-06-2003, 12:12 PM
I love the old Harley resale story...buy it for 20G's sell it for 18. Jap bike buy it for 6G's sell it for 4. 2 grand is 2 grand. Not to mention all the Harley 5 year payment plan dudes.

David

Raceman
10-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Fly, Fly, Fly, once again the details get distorted, but money ain't the real issue. The ckicks really dig them vibratin' seats. Ever try to deal with one after an hour ride on a hog? It's hard to handle.

Liqui-Fly
10-06-2003, 12:51 PM
My brother-in law is a big fan. After putting on the peanut shell helmut and kicking my legs up I almost crashed from laughing so hard because I knew how much of a jackass I looked like riding the thing. See I didn't purchase the bike myself so I didn't get the attitude that comes with it. This is Phastboat on his (my brother-in-laws) current ride. Bourget.

Liqui-Fly
10-06-2003, 12:53 PM
pic

Raceman
10-06-2003, 12:59 PM
"I didn't purchase the bike myself so I didn't get the attitude that comes with it"

Well that explains it all then................. you gotta get the attitood' too, or you ain't gettin' the whole experience.

Liqui-Fly
10-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Phastboat has the look....I only had one look when I owned my Jap bike....it usually went from this :D to this :eek: and back to this :D

I got out of bikes though. They're justr too damn fast.

Raceman
10-06-2003, 01:14 PM
"I got out of bikes though. They're justr too damn fast."

That's why I like my Harley.................. it's kinda like ridin' around on a plow mule.

Jason Huber
10-06-2003, 01:30 PM
The only bike I ever built that made it to the big leagues...

Liqui-Fly
10-06-2003, 01:31 PM
I like that ride!!

JustMercMe
10-06-2003, 04:37 PM
So I gotta wait a little while for the bike. This is a pic of a buddy of mines that he built. I think when I get ready I'm gonna let him do mine.

Raceman
10-06-2003, 06:19 PM
I can't figure out why anybody would want a front end with that kind of extension. I'd do a lot of research and ride em both with and without before I built one that way. I think you're a lot more limited when it comes resale time too.

MADDOG355
10-06-2003, 09:23 PM
Here is a pic of my bike. As far as the amf sportster goes let me know what they are running there. It may be worth my time to come get one!

As for losing 2 grand on a bike.
A new fatboy is about 16,000 you find a used one for 16 grand or less let me know! If you see a new one for 20grand call the factory becouse the dealers are only alowed to make so much on a bike. (a local dealer got in trouble for loaning out new bikes and selling them for used with a few miles and tacking on a couple of thousand dollers!)

in 1986 a new sportster was $3,999.99
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/0/56843830.htm

That is about normal for that bike here!

Anyway here is mine.

rev.ronnie
10-06-2003, 09:42 PM
I ride a 1975 FXE Superglide. 1200+.080, ported, Andrews, S/S, Thunderheader, Rev-Tech close ratio 4speed, BDL belt primary/clutch, Wiseco 10:1, Etc. Pretty cool bike, and it beats the twin cammers!! Thinking of selling, Ride a big twin for the price of a sporty!!

weedwacker
10-07-2003, 02:09 AM
Hey Raceman, I read your reply and I aint got anything against ya, just voicing my opinion. You said the resale value is better with a harley. OK, it is. But that still dont make it a good bike. They are slow, handle for crap, expensive, and break down a lot. They vibrate so bad it aint funny unless ya get one of the new ones with the 1970 honda style counter shaft. They got liquid cooling finally. Harley didnt even discover aluminum until the 80's. The got resale value cuz people think it will make em look cool. I never much cared about that. i just want the best bike money can buy. Jap bikes and BMW's. I like Triumph and Ducati also but Jap bikes are the best in every category. Thats why you rarely see a harley winning any races. Just my opinion. If ya like em you should have what ya like. But me, I wouldnt own one if ya gave it to me. I love that schene in smokey and the bandit when Cledus run over all them harleys with his truck. LOL!

weedwacker
10-07-2003, 02:12 AM
OH one more thing. I aint never seen a good lookin woman on a harley except in the dam magazines. I think I wouldnt hate em so much if harley people would put mufflers on the things instead o them strait pipes.

mr.clean
10-07-2003, 02:28 AM
troy bayliss says it all!!! DUCATI BABY!

Raceman
10-07-2003, 06:54 AM
"I aint never seen a good lookin woman on a harley except in the dam magazines"

You ain't never seen mine then. I left my pipes stock too, although the dealer said they pop the baffles on every one they sell. Mine ain't popped and I like it that way.

CDave
10-07-2003, 09:36 AM
weedwacker, all my fishin' buddies say similar things about my Allison XB02. I hear, it's hard to drive, rocks too much when fishin', ain't got enough storage space, yada yada yada.

They don't get it and it sounds like you don't either. Ever ride in a Cobra Roadster replica or Shelby GT350? Loud, rough, uncomfortable as hell but man was a feeling. Why do people buy old British cars, TR6's,MG's,Jags,Bugeyes... They break down all the time but there is something different/special about them.

weedwacker, people ride Harely's for different reasons. It's an American Icon, a part of Americana. Nothing wrong with Jap bikes or Euro bikes. It all comes down to what you are wanting. I guess I'm lucky in that I appreciate them all. It's the same attitude/frame of mind I have about boats, bikes, cars, trucks, ect. I love um all.

One of these days I'll own one of these,

PhastBoat
10-07-2003, 11:00 AM
:D

Scott Gilmore
10-07-2003, 06:17 PM
I must say...............SOME V twins are cool ! Scott :D

GP-1
10-08-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by mr.clean
troy bayliss says it all!!! DUCATI BABY!

Say... How'd Troy do last weekend???

It seems like the Honda's have it together now.. They'll probably be 1-5 at the rest of the races.. Nicky Hayden's finally got the MotoGP thing figured out..

Still a great first year for Ducati, they're pounding Suzuki and Kawasaki on a regular basis...

clydecleinmark
10-09-2003, 10:43 AM
I've been riding since the early 60's when in junior high (illegal street riding). I really get a kick out of the Harley nostalgia thing and how the myth has grown that everyone has always rode them. Back then, we didn't even know what a Honda was. The hero's of the neighborhood all rode british bikes. The touring guys rode beemers. Occasionally, you'd see a harley dresser, usually being driven by a guy from somewhere south of the Mason Dixon. Having a gazillion lights on the back was a big thing. There was also the occasional Sportster, but they were expensive compared to the Brits, weren't amy faster and handled/stopped like crap. In general, the workmanship was the same quality as an Allis Chalmers farm tractor. I believe that at that time, Harley only had about 6% of the market and the Japs hadn't even shown up for the party. In the mid 60's Honda Superhawks/ Scramblers, Suzuki Hustlers and Yamaha 250, started popping up. The hot boys continued to ride Bonneviles and Spitfires. At the strip, it was Triumph versus Harley in top fuel. TC Cristiansen showed up later with the Hogslayer Norton and ruled for a few years. The Harley guys jeer at the AMF connection but in reality it was probably AMF that saved them. They had no better of a product than the brits and should have gone under at the same time. My one and only Harley was a new 1970 Sportster. I was going to buy a new Bonneville but Then Came Bronson appeared on TV and I thought his Sporty looked cool. Drove it from Chicago to my army base in North Carolina and half of it fell of on the way. Upon arrival, a friend had just bought a new Honda 750. That would bring about the end of my Harley experience. Here we are now many years later and MAYBE Harley has got it right. Only took them 100 years to do it. Honda was a much faster learner. I do give them credit, though, on how they've marketed their product. If I should want a HD, I could afford the bike. Just don't know if I could pop for the wardrobe. Another thing that bothers me. Years ago, ALL bikers would wave at each other. I notice more and more that Harley guys have an attitude and look the other way when waved at by someone other than a Harley guy. They are usually some puss bellied baby boomer who just got his first bike last week. Of course, if I'm stting next to them at a light, they get friendly so I don;t blow them off. Actuall, I like the look of a lot of Harleys. Unfortunately, they've just never built a bike (at least in modern times) that had the performance I want. The V-Rod was a big step. They are still a lotta money for what you get--old motor, dated trans, etc. They just add another chrome geegaw each year and call it new and improved. And oh, just for the recoed and despite the posters I see at the flea market, Marlon Brando did not ride a Harley. Nor did James Dean. Nor did Steve McQueen. More myths. Elvis rode a Harley but he also drove a pink Caddy and look at his house. Nuff said.

BarryStrawn
10-09-2003, 11:25 AM
You really think Allis Chalmers quality and workmanship was ever that bad?

clydecleinmark
10-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Now that you mention it, the Allis Chalmers welds were probably better.

weedwacker
10-10-2003, 06:27 PM
CDave, nothing personal, if its what ya like, go for it. But I gotta point out the old brit cars you used as example all are old classics that handle real good. If they was beinn made today exactly the same way they was being made back then, nobody buy em. Harley makes bikes the same way they made em back years ago, pretty much. The quality aint there and they dont have something really good about em like the old brit cars with the good handling. Harleys just dont do anything real well. A better way to look at it is like this. Say a bunch of people buy old Fiat 4 door sedans. They chrome em up, and custom paint em, but they break down all the time, and they aint fast or handle or anything like that. Then they install open exhaust and rev em up at every stop light and try to set off peoples car alarms. Then they wear shirts that say "friends dont let friends drive Ferarri crap" and tell people that corvettes and vipers are junk and they wont drive there fiat with anyone who drives that junk. WTF??? Thats a pretty good comparison. import bikes are like ferarris, vettes BMW's and Vipers. Harleys are kinda like Fiats. You say I dont get it. Your right! Again nothing personal here buy what you like but nobody would ever convince me that harleys are a good bike.
WW

GP-1
10-10-2003, 07:22 PM
I don't know about that... Harley's did have some quality control problems in the pre-evo days, but the bikes are pretty good now-a-days... They may not be for you (or me, for that matter), but saying that they're "not a good bike" would be not be an accurate statement today...

rev.ronnie
10-10-2003, 07:59 PM
I guess I just don't like riding motorcycles enough to ride something other than a Harley. Yes, I realize that they require maintenence and may not be cutting edge as far as technology goes, but having the talant (and a complete machine shop) to make one of these old things (or a new one) run like a Swiss watch is very rewarding and enjoyable. Yes, I know, now the arguement that most people don't have resources or ability to do the same. Well, I don't give a crap, If they don't have the ability to seek these people out who do, let them ride some cookie cutter, no American heritige having, dime a dozen, Kamasuhon****zu throwaway bike. They are not the "Hardcore Biker", and that is fine, 'till they try to tell me how their plastic piece of import crap is so much better than my old relic. How about lets talk survival percentage of all the Harleys VS. Hondas built in 1968 to 1975 or so. Phast boat could figure it out, he seems to be good with figures and statistics. :D

rev.ronnie
10-11-2003, 02:13 AM
One more thing that is funny; I love these guys who have every excuse in the world to ride a import, you know, reliability, smoothness, speed, etc. then finally get off their wallet and buy a Harley. Then they turn into Pontious Pilot and do an about face on the whole issue. Within 1 week they have a Harley sticker on everything they own, the leather jacket, the t-shirts, etc. , and rip on the metric cruisers like they never owned one. I mean, who puts a Honda or Yamaha sticker on their pickup? Last I checked, they make generators and flutes and pianos and $hit. At least the sporting equipment/AMF thing went away 20 years ago with Harley. Even then, you pretty much knew that the 300# bruiser drivin' the rusted out F-150 with a H/D sticker in the window, probably wasn't going out to play volleyball!! EVERYONE knows at least a few of these converts. You mention their old metric, and they stare at the ground and shuffle their feet and mumble "well that was a long time ago...." and then try to shift the conversation so bystanders won't hear. You all know what I'm talkin' about, RIGHT?? Hey, everyone is thinkin' it, I'm just typin' it up!:D

mr.clean
10-11-2003, 02:28 AM
i ride DUCATI! had money down on v-rod (sometimes wish i pulled the trigger) prime example of harley keeping up with the times. would love to ride a confederate hellcat ;) every bike and car mentioned would not be thrown out of my bed. depends on what your looking for, if I had it my way i would own apples and oranges ;) don`t matter what your riding! just as long as your riding :cool:

rev.ronnie
10-11-2003, 03:11 AM
I have nothing against Brit/English/Euro bikes. As far as the Ducati goes, Harley doesn't really make anything that compares, Yeah, the Buell, I had one, and wished it was a 916 most of the time! But I agree, to ride is to ride, and I guess that is the most important thing. Thanks for getting me on track! :D Oh, yeah, that Hellcat is wicked, I saw a guy hammerin' wheelies on one in a magazine.

weedwacker
10-11-2003, 04:10 AM
I dont think like that at all. OK, heres some quotes from HD riders that I wanna translate for yall.

"Loud pipes save lives". Translation: I want everyone to look at me cuz I paid a lot of money for this thing and I did it to get attention. I need an excuse to get around the 80 decible laws.

"Its not as fast as jap crap but thats not what a harley's for". Translation: This bike is a slow sumbitch even with the s&s motor and all. It just aint got the guts to run with a import, but I paid a lot of money so I could get attention.

"You only say that about harleys cuz you cant afford one". Translation: I paid a fortune for this bike, it aint nearly as good as an import but I want to get attention. I need to muddy up the water so I dont look like a moron.

"Its the harley mystique" Translation: There really aint no good reason to buy one except to try and get attention.

"I dont ride with jap crap." Translation: When me and my buddys break down I dont want you laughin at us.

Now some facts.

There is a waiting list for new harleys. So why do they advertise in cycle magazines? Because that how they stop bad reviews. If a magazine says something bad about em, they threaten to pull the advertising dollars. Control measure.

Best selling bike in the US is the Harley 883 sportster. Thats the one that real harley people wont ride with because they know what an entry level piece of crap it is. People want to belong an get attention but dont want to spend the cash.

Harleys only compete in races that racers only run harleys in. That race bike they built for like $70k a few years back couldnt compete in roadracing. Broke down and didnt make the power to keep up. Even with the rules that give v twins a big break.

Harley quit makin dirt bikes way back when cuz they couldnt make anything as good as the imports.

Harley is only still around because of pretectionism from Regan administration back in the 80s. Big decade for harley. first they discover aluminum and then they get Ronny Reagan to put a tarif on imports.

American icon? Thats just like the italians saying a fiat is an italian icon. Kinda takes somethin away from America if ya ask me. Why dont they just start makin good bikes? Well I know the answer. Cuz harleys are really simple and cheap to build and they cant build em fast enough. Harley inc. dont build good bikes, they make money. They make it off people that dont much care about havin a good bike but they hope it will make them look cool to other people.

If people thought bayliners were the really cool boat to own I wouldnt buy one of them either.

I would like it if an American company would start making a good US made bike. Till them I'm an iport guy. And as for not being able to afford it-nope- I can but I can spend the same on a BMW that goes faster and is alot more comftable.

Just sayin my opinion. :)

rev.ronnie
10-11-2003, 04:18 AM
Thanks for further substanciating my point. :D

87hydro
10-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Heres my piece of ****. 1974 Still runnin' and still leaving parts in the road Hahahahha When it gets parked at nite I just make sure the rear tire gets backed in the barn! Don't even bother to put the kick stand down when I pull in the bar for a cold one. One girl came in and said "Hey, yer bike fell over" I said "so whats your point" 87HYDRO
Notice the nice gold plating LOL

87hydro
10-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Thats my new bike heres the old beater I was refering too
87Hydro

GP-1
10-11-2003, 07:20 PM
There ain't nothing wrong with any (OK, most) motorcycles... It's just the attitude of the owner trying to justify their purchase..

Who cares what anybody else thinks?? Everybody rides what they want to ride, so why worry about someone else's opinion -- or try to convert them to yours??

clydecleinmark
10-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Weedwhacker, Your reply reveals you are a youg guy. The Triumph and Spitfire I referred to was british bikes-not cars. The Spitfire was BSA's hotdog from 66-68. I have a 67 that I bought in 1976. All original fiberglass tank, alloy rims, etc. Was the first PRODUCTION bike to be magazine tested at 120 mph. The thought scares the **** outta me. Mine turned 13 flat by the original owner I bought it from. Would probably still give a Harley a good run--quarter mile or top end. One advantage of owning an old brit bike, is the oiling you can give to your driveway. Anybody else out there have old bikes?? I also have a 72 Kawasaki 750 triple-original paint, chrome chambers and Fast by Gast motor. Even the older Harley guys at Bikeweek have stories about them. Last is an 84 GPZ 750 Turbo (factory). An interesting observation that someone already mentioned. You would think that the guys with the hot outboard boats and always talking about, "Go Faster," would be driving FAST bikes. However, when asked about their Harley, they say the jap bikes are two fast. A bit contradictory? I'm at the opposite contradiction. I like fast bikes and own a 60mph jetboat. Go figure.

Liqui-Fly
10-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Bikes will go fast no matter what. Boats generally won't go all that fast until you've been through the learing curve. After 3 crashes in 6 months of riding I decided I wasn't allowed to own a bike;)

David

eautosales
10-13-2003, 05:56 PM
MY STREET BIKE IS A TWO STROKE:D

racerx
10-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Mine too RG500 and RD400DAYTONA SPECIAL with chrome chambers with bean oil.

eautosales
10-13-2003, 06:47 PM
MINE 1S AN RD350 ITS MY WINTER PROJECT I NEED A SET OF PIPES :D NOTHIN LIKE A 2 STROKE:cool:

GP-1
10-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Yea, two-strokes are cool... The power-bands make them feel a lot stronger than they are though..

I had a friend with a Mach III (Kawasaki triple), and my old GPz 550 would just walk away from it...

Even Gamma's (cool as they are) have no chance against a new 600... Old motorcycles are cool -- and have character -- but are really piles of crap compared to the new stuff.. I have quite a bit of riding experience, but my bike's still better than I am.

clydecleinmark
10-14-2003, 01:27 PM
racer x, Hear you didn't do well in Jasper. Maybe I should have brought my jet boat down after all. Ha Ha.

racerx
10-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey GP my GAMMA CAN STILL OUT RUN A NEW R6 WITH A PIPE ON IT POUND FOR POUND GAMMA IS NOT STOCK MY KID BEETS HIS BUDDYS 2003 R6 WITH MY GAMMA ALL THE WAY TO 150MPH THE GAMMA HAS 107 HP AT REAR WEIGHAS IN AT 320 I USED TO OWN A NEW GPZ 550 1983 IT RAN 13.20 IN QUARTER MY RD 400 WITH PIPES 13.50 AND MY RZ350 WITH PIPES RAN 12.60 HAVE NOT HAD GAMMA TO TRACK YET OR MY TURBO HONDA.

GP-1
10-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Yea... OK, if your Gamma makes 107 at the wheel it's not stock (about 80-83 was), and it might (maybe) be a bit faster in a dragrace.. It's still got those skinny wheels, little brakes and flexible frame.. Nothing against Gamma's -- they're really cool bikes -- but they're just not anything close to a new 600..

clydecleinmark
10-15-2003, 08:47 AM
Yea. but the Gamma has THE LOOK. Surely wouldn't want it for my only bike but racer x also has the turbo'ed Honda Blackbird dynoed at 231 HP with just the turbo and a pipe. The Gamma is kinda like my 72 Kaw H2. Gets a lot of thumbs up and smiles. And it still does what its been doing for 32 years-leaving Harleys in a blue haze.

Raceman
10-15-2003, 10:43 AM
WeedWhacker, I guess if somebody that owned a Harley was sittin' around lookin' for somethin' to get riled up about, the narrow mindedness of some of your ideas up there might do it, but maybe a little alternative thinkin' might be more practical.

I bought my first Harley this year. Most people around here don't know I have it, and it ain't got nothin' to do with cravin' attention. It's just one of those things I wanted when I was younger and couldn't afford. Actually it started with wantin' a Harley Hummer when I was about 12, progressin' through the Sprints, then a Sportster later.

I actually went to look at the new Harley Store here with no intention of buying a motorcycle, got to lookin' at an 883R Sportster with a 1200 kit and ended up buying a 100th anniversary Low Rider. Incidentally, mine has the stock pipes and I didn't even let em punch out the baffles like they do on 99% of the ones they sell because I wanted it quiet.

As far as comparison with Jap bikes, I got my first Honda when I was 13, an S65. I've had an uncountable number of Jap bikes since and don't have any complaints. If I was in the market for a crotch rocket now, it'd be a Jap, but at my age and profile, they're too uncomfortable to ride much, and since I don't think much of the concept of tryin' to total somebody's car with my face, aggressive ridin' ain't exactly my style anymore either. I've also got a early 70's CB750 Honda, a H2 Kawasaki (750 2 stroke triple), and a 500 Suzuki Titan (2 stroke twin) with road race port specs and chambers. I've ridden a good bit of late model 4 cyl Jap stuff and they're fine, but I'd still prefer the Harley as a cruiser. As far as the Jap wanna be/look alike V twins, it seems a lot like buying a Timex that's styled to look like a Rolex. I'm sure each has some individual characteristic that makes it better than a Harley in that particular area, not the least of which would be power in some cases, but they're still copycats, and if I wanted to ride Jap, it'd be an inline 4 or at least a V4 like the old Interceptor (which I had also at one time come to think of it).

It just took away from the Jap bikes for me when they started doing copies of other stuff, like the V twins, and in Kawasaki's case, also their knock off of the old Triumph Bonneville.

I guess the bottom line is, different strokes for different folks, but in my case at least, it's been a long time since I've bought a toy that I like any better than the Harley.

GP-1
10-15-2003, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raceman
it seems a lot like buying a Timex that's styled to look like a Rolex.

That's interesting, and I'd agree that the Asian bikes are certainly Harley knock-offs, but equating a Harley to a Rolex is a bit of a stretch.... don't you think?? :D

Isn't it interesting that EVERYBODY puts different exhaust on their Harley as soon as they get it..... so they can be different from EVERYBODY else??? Kudos to you for leaving yours alone..

Raceman
10-15-2003, 12:15 PM
"but equating a Harley to a Rolex is a bit of a stretch.... don't you think?? :D "

Yep, just usin' a comparison for the sake of emphasis. Actually, I'm gettin to be not much of a Rolex fan either. Mine just came back from yet another $500. + tune up and was gone for 3 months. It's still not real accurate in comparison with almost any brand of electric watch. I'm sick of stuff you have to send off because nobody locally can get parts, their parts prices are almost as ridiculous as Merc's, although not quite, and I ain't sure what they do real well except for bein' real waterproof. Next time I'm gettin' Seiko, wearin' it five years and chunkin' it. At least with the Harley any jackass on any street corner can work on it, and parts are available from almost anywhere.

Hydrovector
10-15-2003, 12:25 PM
I saw this setting at the Honda dealer in Green Bay.
just goes to show you the japs can make something that doesn't look like a harley.
Also the first thing I did to my Harley was change the pipes, I would like to be heard if I'm not seen. Safety first.

GP-1
10-15-2003, 12:33 PM
I can't (or won't) afford a Rolex. They're cool, but $500 -- for a watch "tune-up", and it still ain't right?

Isn't it amazing that the more we pay for something, the more were able to accept the fact that it's a piece of crap? If you're $40 Timex didn't keep better time than the Rolex, you'd probably be pissed.. It's that way with everything. Think a $95,000 (or whatever they are now) Lotus Esprit is as good a car as a $18,000 Honda Civic?? No way?? With motorcycles (and I feel their blood pressure rising now), do you really believe a Ducati 999 is as good a bike as a GSXR-1000, R1, etc?? Yea, the Ducati owners will rationalize their purchase somehow (resale value, perhaps), but they still paid big $$$$.. then pay more big $$$ to service it... and even then all the four valve, liquid cooled bikes still have questionable reliability.. chrome flaking off the rockers..

They are cool.... So's a Lotus, and a Rolex, and..........

clydecleinmark
10-15-2003, 01:20 PM
I guess it's all about value. Many people are willing to pay more and get a whole lot less. Look at the cost of a Harley dresser and then compare with a Gold Wing. The better touring bike is the Honda but it does not have that image that Harley guys are dying to play. I just wish Harley would make their bikes idle. I feek sorry for their drivers when they have to sit at a light and rev them all the time. Or is that part of the image?? Hmmmm.

clydecleinmark
10-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Forgot something. Using the Harley and Rolex analogy. The Harley is something like a Timex but priced like a Rolex. There's that value thing again.

GP-1
10-15-2003, 01:35 PM
I agree that Harley's are overpriced.. at least for their perceived engineering, but a new Gold Wing is just about as much money..

It seems like the new, fuel injected Harleys idle OK.. It's just that the owners (there's the loud pipe thing again) are trying to attract attention to themselves by reving their engines at stoplights..

Still, my biggest Harley-owner pet peeve is the fact that the vast majority of them choose not to wear helmets. I understand that everybody is free to choose, but I just can't understand that logic..

clydecleinmark
10-15-2003, 03:16 PM
I think their theory is," I can't go fast enough to get killed." Actually the money saved by not buying a helmut can be used for chrome acorn nuts or fingerless gloves or a years supply of doo-rags.

Raceman
10-15-2003, 09:01 PM
I'm just wonderin' if all the people who don't like the Harleys have ridden a new one. Mine is an 03 with a carb. The Dyna series (the ones with the exposed rear shocks as opposed to the soft tails) weren't available injected, and they run fine. I've never once had mine fail to idle, or die at a stoplight. I think they may have expanded the injection in to some of the rest for 04. The bikes in this series also have the engines on rubber mounts and still vibrating, as opposed to the soft tails which are internally balanced with the Harley vibration being gone.

As far as the pricing situation, I think it's a question of Harley participating in the fact that the bikes maintain their value more than some of the imported stuff. They may cost more intiailly than some of the import knock offs, but they're cheaper to own in the long run when the difference between purchase price and retail is factored.

Bottom line is, I like my Harley a bunch, but I don't feel the need to po' mouth the Jap bikes just because I picked the Harley over one of them.

CDave
10-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by weedwacker
CDave, nothing personal, if its what ya like, go for it. But I gotta point out the old brit cars you used as example all are old classics that handle real good. If they was beinn made today exactly the same way they was being made back then, nobody buy em. Harley makes bikes the same way they made em back years ago, pretty much. The quality aint there and they dont have something really good about em like the old brit cars with the good handling. Harleys just dont do anything real well. A better way to look at it is like this. Say a bunch of people buy old Fiat 4 door sedans. They chrome em up, and custom paint em, but they break down all the time, and they aint fast or handle or anything like that. Then they install open exhaust and rev em up at every stop light and try to set off peoples car alarms. Then they wear shirts that say "friends dont let friends drive Ferarri crap" and tell people that corvettes and vipers are junk and they wont drive there fiat with anyone who drives that junk. WTF??? Thats a pretty good comparison. import bikes are like ferarris, vettes BMW's and Vipers. Harleys are kinda like Fiats. You say I dont get it. Your right! Again nothing personal here buy what you like but nobody would ever convince me that harleys are a good bike.
WW

You make a good point there weed. There is always a nitch market for things out of the ordinary and that is where Harley's fit, a very big nitch market.

You say old cars won't sell today? Look at the kit car industry. Hell look at the Mustang, the Fox based Stang sold a ton and that is one old tech car.

BTW the bike in my post is a custom V-Twin build here in Louisiana, Confederate Motorcycles. Unfortunantly Confederate had alot of QC and money problems. But luckly there are used Confederate bikes on the market so one day I will own one.
Look at the specs, Paioli inverted forks, 6 piston calipers, right side chain drive. Trans is Confederate design and gears by Andrews, Frame top tube holds oil for engine, Engine is stressed member of frame and several patents are owned by Confederate on this design.

I use to own a Yammy XT500, so don't think I'm one of the Murican or nuttin' crowd. I now own a Honda 4Trax but it's for sale.

clydecleinmark
10-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Here's what it really boils down to. I'll expand on the Fiat story. On the one hand you have a guy with a new Mercury Marquis. He's got the dealer installed vinyl top (with opera window), whitewalls with spoked hubcaps, J.C.Whitney add on continental kit, curb feelers and a horn that plays, "When the Saints Go Marching In." On the other hand, you've got the guy with the new Vette-high tech suspension and brakes, sporty looks and a killer motor that's quiet. Neither one of these guys is ever going to convince the other that his ride is better. Ain't gonna happen. The best you can ask for is that they can say," Nice car", and leave it at that. ...even though the Mercury is a turd.

GP-1
10-16-2003, 04:15 PM
Mercury doesn't still make those, does it?

The one this I'll say in the Harley owner's favor... at least those folks are using their bikes for what they're made for.. I see sportbike riders everywhere that have no clue of their bike's abilities -- they do burnouts and (pathetic) wheelies, but never lean the bike over more that 10 degrees from vertical... Their tires are flat in the center, and have virtually no wear at all on the sides... but, when it's time to buy tires (when the cords have been showing for 1500 miles), you think you can talk them into sport-touring tires... ones that will last 50% longer?? No way!! They gotta have the stickiest thing available -- so they look cool.. and they'll wear out another set...... right down the middle.. At least the Harley guys are just out cruising -- exactly what their bikes were made for...

Now, if they'd just do it a bit more quietly...

clydecleinmark
10-16-2003, 04:27 PM
That's a pretty big stereotype. Kinda like those guys with Harley dressers that they buy for touring but never get any further than the local tavern.

GP-1
10-16-2003, 04:43 PM
You mean to tell me that after everything that's been posted here(some by you), that now you're calling me out for invoking a stereotype???

Yea, OK..

Hydrovector
10-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Hell there is a lot of boaters that go out on there toys to just go sit at a bar!!!!!!!

racerx
10-16-2003, 05:35 PM
My therory on this if there was two novas won had a six cylinder power glide and the other one had a 396cu with a turbo 400 which one would you choose think of it as the Harley would be the 6 cylinder.GP my tires get used up all the way around it has late model RR wheels with pilot tires fox shock front progressive fork tubes Honda brake calipers i go up to starv rock very curvy roads where all the Ducati and jap rockets hang out and you know what beats all of them RG500 some of the guys are fast but i love the turns my self thats the fun part. for the straght aways i have the Blackbird turbo holds its own

clydecleinmark
10-16-2003, 06:22 PM
GP1, You're right that there are a lot of stereotypes on BOTH sides. And I have to admit a lot of sportbike guys do not use all that hi-tech stuff. I for, one, don't live in an area any more that has a lot of twisties. I don't really need 16 piston calipers and Kenny Roberts suspension. But there is still the power thing. I'd be the first to admit I don't go fast (and reckless) as much as I used to. I probably don't even ride as often. There were times years ago when my ONLY ride was a motorcycle. I still like that punch, though, that throws you back in the seat whether it be from a bike, car or boat. I suppose if I won the lottery and could go out and buy ten bikes, there may be a Harley in the mix. If only Yamaha would put some balls back in the Vmax.

GP-1
10-16-2003, 06:38 PM
The V-Max is going bye-bye (I heard).. I guess they don't sell too many of them anymore.. It seems strange, since you can't find a used (unabused) one very cheap... Even nice 84's still bring $3500.. Someday, I'll find a deal on one.....

Jason Huber
10-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Hmmmm... :confused: ;)

GP-1
10-16-2003, 08:35 PM
OOOOPS... I think I'm smokin' crack.. '85 was the first year for the V-Max..

clydecleinmark
10-17-2003, 08:11 AM
I'd heard the opposite about the v-max at the traveling new bike show. A Yamaha rep said,"We haven't forgot about it." It would be great to see a future Cycle World magazine proclaiming The King Is Back with Peewee Gleason doing a big ole nasty burnout on the cover.

northeastcat
10-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Wow this is quite a thread. Figured I'd be different and throw in a pic ;) . Heres my 85,yes first year, V-Max. Has 8500 mi. on it. Not sure but seem to remember when I bought it the dealer sayin sumpthin about 145 hp. Anyway it still turns to the red and will smoke the tire right off it. Hangs one hell of a wheelie, though I havent done it in a while and wont on purpose again, had it flat out in 5th once, right on the red ,154 mph and no more. Still sees the red in the first three almost everytime I ride it but I tend to back off after that, about 105 mph. Anyway its what I ride and I like it, oh yeah, it aint never broke down but I have had my share of maintenance since new to keep it tip top.

clydecleinmark
10-20-2003, 08:49 AM
Northeast Cat, That vmax looks pretty good. You guys must have a pretty short riding season where you're at. There are usually a lot of trick vmax's at Bike Week. See a lot of conversions to chain drive. Also lots of different seat/tail changes. Can't remember which one, but several use the seat and rear cowl off a jap sport bike. A reinvention of the vmax would be cool. They were nice all around bikes when they came out. Decent riding position for us old farts. Not the trickest of brakes and suspension but okay. And gobs of power. I don't think there's anythong out there similar right now.

Dinomite
10-20-2003, 09:14 AM
1998 Harley Softail Custom / We are just back from bike week in Daytona (03 Octoberfest).. :D What a great four days, and the Biker Babes were the best looking we have seen in years. :eek:

Hydrovector
10-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Nice Ride!!!!!!!:D :D

clydecleinmark
10-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Does look pretty good. Curious about the Daytona Octoberfest and how it compares to March Bike Week. I like the March version largely due to the bike mix and all the races and other events. Kinda brings in an International flavor and there's something for all. I'd guess that Oktoberfest is more like Sturgis. Lot's of Harleys but no real events. I'm sure it's a lot smaller people and bike wise. Your thoughts??

northeastcat
10-20-2003, 09:25 PM
CCM , Thanks, I like it and I try to keep it nice. Yeah the window for riding as well as boating is very short around here. Bike has low miles boat has low hours, hard to do both on the same sunny weekend. It is a good all around bike though. I like Harleys too but dollar for dollar the Yammi's are quicker and that is what I like. But it sure does get me when some guy on a harley thinking he is better then everybody who aint on one wont wave to ya when passin by. When last year he probably was riding Jap too.

Dinomite
10-21-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Hydrovector
Nice Ride!!!!!!!:D :D

Thank you for your kind words.

Regarding Daytona Octoberfest and how it compares to March Bike Week.. We have attended both for the last four years. Personally I like the Octoberfest, cooler weather for riding and not as crowded. Weather is defiantly a factor, we were rained out in March this year. Think more folks showed up for the Octoberfest this year for the nice weather we missed in March.

clydecleinmark
10-21-2003, 08:42 AM
Yea, March was bad. We ended up going down to Key West for a few days. Rode the bikes from Miami down. That is one loooong ride. Lots of other people must have had the same idea as there were lots of bikes down there.

thaw ripper
10-21-2003, 09:02 AM
>>>>>> Does not burn a drop of oil, and it really SNORTS!:D

clydecleinmark
10-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Northeastcat, Your snowmobile season is probably longer than biking/boating. You've probably got a lot of bad sleds up there. Harley tried making those too for a few years. They bombed out. There was an interesting article in the newspaper recently about the Harley and Davidson family members. There are no longer any Harleys with the company. The last one had a lower level clerical job and got laid off a few years ago.

northeastcat
10-21-2003, 09:34 PM
CCM, Yeah I just brushed off 2" of snow from my car this morning. Snowmobiling is real big and lasts for 4 good months of riding. I have a couple Polaris myself. My good friend has an 800 XCR Polaris and it pulls 185 hp on the dyno. There are alot of hot sleds around and in all brands. But what is real cool now is the retro sled clubs. And I just picked up a few. Oldie Moldies and we dont ride em far but fun to ride out to the bar every once in a while.

mikesufka
10-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Hey

Anyone have any experience with Bourget's? I'm going back and forth on ordering a Low Blow Chopper with a 124 S & S. Oh, I have a 2002 Fatboy in red. Love the bike. Definately not the fastest thing I've been on, but if you're buying a harley, speed isn't the issue anyway.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN
Allison Grandsport/2.5 EFI

Scott Gilmore
10-22-2003, 08:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it's "all about " the little "outlaw biker" tough guy costume that goes with the Harley :confused: !! Scott :D :D

mikesufka
10-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Gilmore

That's me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An "outlaw", huh? I like the sound of that.

Mike Sufka
aka....outlaw biker/allison driver
St. Cloud, MN

Talon2.5
10-22-2003, 10:26 PM
ive been looking around for a nice ride, looks like i missed out on this one :( ................

Stoker100
10-23-2003, 12:47 AM
Like boats that go the fastest, but don't turn very good at high speed! Seems my taste in bikes is the same Vmax with some mods can acheive under 9 sec qtr with speeds up to 160mph. WOW! I have one, just jets and pipe and it rips! I cannot redline in 1st because I cannot think fast enough to shift off the line and it blows by 10.5K. Here is a pic of a future modify!

Stoker100
10-23-2003, 12:50 AM
New program let's try again

Stoker100
10-23-2003, 12:51 AM
Not bad sound for a rice burner

GP-1
10-23-2003, 08:12 AM
V-Max..

I don't think you're gonna get a V-Max under 9 seconds without a pretty significant amount of work.. They're really a killer stop-light street racer though.. Long wheelbase, easy to launch.. They just don't have the motor for more than about 125-127 mph -- you need about 150 to get into the eights.. Then there's the shaft drive issue. Don't get me wrong, I think V-max's are really cool bikes, it's just that everything's faster now...

clydecleinmark
10-23-2003, 05:17 PM
Sroker, Screw Peewee Gleason. YOU should be on the cover of Cycle World. Looks pretty good. Any idea of HP while on the turbo. Just for comparison, at March's Bike Week, we went to the (can't remember the exact name) bike mechanics school on the edge of Daytona. They have horsepower shootouts on their dyno all week. A stock Huyabusa with pipe was around 160. Another with NOS had 190. Racer X was next up with his turboed Honda Blackbird. Stock internally with pipe and turbo. On stage two turbo pull it was 206. On third stage, it hit 231. On pump gas. It's a blast to ride and it's a sleeper. The downside (for me anyway) is that with the stock wheelbase, it's a wheelie machine. You just roll that frontend up in the air at almost any speed. Pretty scary when you punch it to pass a car.

racerx
10-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Hey Stoker bike looks real good interested in sellin it i need a good HOG SLAYER around. Jeff

Stoker100
10-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Guys! I have a VMAX, but the PIC and sound were from MAD MAX site. It is my dream machine! I do not own it yet.

Go check out the link

http://www.madmax.com

GP-1 - 8.48 secs, 164..44 mph. Rockingham Dragway on August 13, 1995. Yes chain drive converted. Just the facts.

Here is one with blower and nos.
The turbo set-up seems to be the most effective for qtr mi, but the blower/nos sure looks cool! To ME this is THE ultimate bike

GP-1
10-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Yep... 8.48. is pretty fast, but calling that a streetbike is like calling Rickey Gadson's Muzzy ZX12 (7.56) a streetbike.. Yea, they're both street legal.. and they might get taken out for a ride once in a while, but that's not a street bike -- at least not to me.

clydecleinmark
10-24-2003, 11:41 AM
RacerX, If you want a hogslayer, just go out and get an old RD 350. Toss on some pipes and you're there for cheap.

clydecleinmark
10-24-2003, 11:45 AM
racer x, What were the numbers on Vinnie's "streetbike"???

G-MAN
10-24-2003, 03:09 PM
My stile of rideing :D

Milton florda.

clydecleinmark
10-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Never saw a vmax do that before!!!!

GP-1
10-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Not and land in one piece anyway........

yachter55
10-28-2003, 10:23 PM
YEP ITS A MINI HARLEY

yachter55
10-28-2003, 10:29 PM
IT NOW HAS APE HANGERS SADDLE BAGS AND A BIGGER CARB.BUT STRAIGHT PIPES REALLY WAKES EM UP ON THE DOCK AT 4AM

clydecleinmark
10-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Will probably outrun a new Heritage.

GP-1
10-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Yea, but so will a Go-Ped..

rev.ronnie
10-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Yeah, right, but can you pick up skanky, griseled, weathered women on a go ped? I think not!! Here's my tramp magnet. Shovels baby, they're not just for movin' dirt anymore........well, I guess they are.:)

Rodney Nance
10-30-2003, 10:14 PM
After reading your post and looking at that little seat for the passenger I thought about a sticker I saw on the back of a Harley Riders beenie helmet. "If You Can Read This The Bitch Fell Off" I about wrecked.

rev.ronnie
10-30-2003, 10:53 PM
What is the difference between a Harley and a Hoover vacuume????? The position of the dirt bag.

clydecleinmark
10-31-2003, 11:35 AM
"If Harley made an airplane, would you fly in it?"

GP-1
10-31-2003, 11:37 AM
as long as the bolts holding the wings on were lock-tighted...