PDA

View Full Version : Save Phace?

Cleavor
05-24-2007, 10:19 AM
I stumbled across this review last night while surfing for safety equipment:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfishhedz.html

Then I looked up their website:

http://www.savephace.com/

It looks interesting to me as I remember reading articles by Bob Nordskog stating that regular helmets for land use can cause severe bucketing when used on the water, which can cause a snapped neck if you get tossed out or crash. Bob had a helmet kit you could buy and make your own non - bucketing helmet for the water and highly recommended using this type of helemt as opposed to one made for land. I was wondering if any of you guys have heard of these or tried them, they seem to be ideal for high performance boating.

WATERWINGS
05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
The first one will do NOTHING to save your noggin...........might keep the bugs out of your teeth though.

Dirk Pitt
11-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Has anyone gone in the water with a full face helmet? Its not a pleasent experience!

WATERWINGS
11-15-2007, 10:03 AM
What happens?

funithesun
11-23-2007, 04:15 PM
water seems to go in a helmet a lot faster than it flows out

funithesun
11-25-2007, 01:22 PM
So, has anybody ever used one of those face masks instead of a helmet, and do you like it?

gfinch
11-26-2007, 01:18 AM
They work well for keeping the wind/elements off your face, my wife and I both use them for winter or rainy tournaments. They are a face shield, NOT a helmet.

Day break, thick frost already on the reciently uncovered boat. A slight drizzle starts as you idle out . . . . . .

Yep they work.

funithesun
11-26-2007, 09:21 AM
The helmet gets a little hot and cumbersome for me. Racing was one thing, but most reasons I use it now is to cut the wind noise. Would my ear and mic set up from my helmet fit into these?

Hottrucks
11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I would still like to hear more info on race helmets if someone wants to chime in???
what is the differnce????
the reason I ask is I'm doing some later season boating and want to stay warm......I was just going to grab my Bike helmets and go but now you got me thinking??

delawarerick
11-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Im with Hottrucks on this one. I wear inexpensive harley safety glasses for bugs but have wondered about helmets and the bucketing that can occur. Any information and experience is appreciated. thanks Rick
(by the way the safety glasses are sun glass with an oca approval)$12

funithesun
11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
"Race" helmets are just snell or other approved. They are orange because your head is easier to see in or under the water. They protect your head from impact...period. If your gonna go thru a hull or canopy, they are probably a good idea. Getting thrown from an open cockpit you'd more likely be skimming and rolling. It's like seat belts. On a head on collision they keep you in the car. The good part is your body is held in place, but your innards want to keep going.Had 2 sisters that were in a head on i a car. The one without seatbelts hit the windshield and was a little hurt. The one with the belt had massive internal injuries from the belt, and is messed up.
I went under head first in a front dive in a race in open cockpit. The water hitting my shoulders, chest and head was a hard hit. But I had to raise my shield to get the water out of my helmet before I drowned in it. I was on a snomobile crossing the water as a passenger when the driver hit a big wave and we rolled. Because I fell off backwards the water grabbing the helmet from underneath was a big ouch. And we were only going 65mph.
I guess it's pick your poison.

Hottrucks
11-26-2007, 01:55 PM
SO Is there a helmet for use in Boats I guess is the question??

what do the real races use???

funithesun
11-26-2007, 02:02 PM
There was never a "boat" helmet when I raced. I figure since the headgear is a flip of the coin, then Id go for comfort. And since I need the wind screen to see and hear, I was asking about these phish face thingees

Cleavor
03-13-2008, 02:45 PM
I still don't know of any helmets designed specifically for high performance boats. That's why I started this thread about the phish face thingees. They look like they would be perfect for our type of boating and would not cause the bucketing associated with regular helmets. I might give one a try this summer, if I do, I will post my results.

WATERWINGS
03-14-2008, 09:06 AM
the reason I ask is I'm doing some later season boating and want to stay warm......

I use mine in the winter all the time.

I know I should use it all the time when I am going fast, but I don't.

In the winter, it is like riding in the car with the full face helmet on and the sheild down.........also with the snow suit, and warm boots, AND GLOVES !

theoldwizard
04-08-2008, 10:30 PM
... Because I fell off backwards the water grabbing the helmet from underneath was a big ouch. And we were only going 65mph.
Sounds like something similar to a HANS device might help.

theoldwizard
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
...It's like seat belts. On a head on collision they keep you in the car. The good part is your body is held in place, but your innards want to keep going.Had 2 sisters that were in a head on i a car. The one without seatbelts hit the windshield and was a little hurt. The one with the belt had massive internal injuries from the belt, and is messed up...
Sorry to hear of the injury.

Just out of curiosity was the second sister in the back seat restrained only by lap belt ? Many people do not know how to properly adjust a lap belt low and across the hips. Higher (across the "gut") can cause serious internal injuries.

For those of you who don't think the "stock" lap/shoulder belts provide adequate restraint check out CG-Lock (http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html) It keeps the lap portion of you belt tight while allowing the should portion to stay loose. I have used it and it works.

Li'l Toy
04-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I raced OPC in the late 70s and early 80s. Full face helmets were just coming in then, and maybe safety cells were just starting in the unlimited hydros. The issue that Nordskog complained about was called "bucketing." Back then, you were far more likely to enter the water after a blowover or roll separate from your boat. If you were flying feet first when you went in, when the big bottom ring of a full face helmet caught the water, it could put a big torque on your neck and kill you. Somewhere along the way, "skid collars" were added to the back of racing jackets that went above the bottom edge of the helmet and tried to avoid bucketing if the helmet hits back first.

Seems to me I heard a story of a guy running a kilo trial here in Florida (Lake Okeechobee?) in a three point where the skeg snapped, boat went over, he went into the water and was killed instantly. And he had a seat belt with an inertial lock somehow fastened, like to his belt or jacket and the bottom front of the helmet.

Nordskog had developed a very tight fitting helmet. I know he made a few, and was trying to get the idea approved by the APBA with no success. His idea was that impact protection was important, but not nearly as important as on a motorcycle or in a car, so you sacrificed some cushioning and impact protection for less surface area to catch the water at 80 plus mph. I don't recall that system ever being made available to the public.

I always used an open face helmet--didn't look as high tech, but less surface to catch the water. Nowadays, most classes--at least in OPC--are in capsules, and hitting the water at 80 isn't as likely.

Just as a comment--remember the guy who blew over up at the Suwanee? I don't remember his name. Look at those photos and videos of him skipping over the water, and picture what hapens if the helmet catches the water first.

WATERWINGS
04-09-2008, 09:12 AM
You mean Hank Hogan?

Now adays, when we are telling somone to be careful, and don't over trim, we say, "Don't pull a Hank Hogan"............sorry hank.

"Its a sickness coupled with an obsession" Truer words were never spoken....

wasn't that Hank that coined that phrase?

Hottrucks
04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
http://img61.exs.cx/img61/1267/0058hh.jpg

Heeres the link to the rest of the pics
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78759

baja200merk
05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
laker swears by those save phace masks...

Fish
05-29-2008, 07:16 PM
two comments:

the face thingy above might be an idea for sturgeon on the suwannee. Straight impact will still tear your head off, but it might help with lesser contact

Lifeline has harnesses that you can wear under your lifevest that attaches to your helmet to help with the bucketing. I don't really believe a full bucket will be thwarted, but again it might help.

Laker
05-29-2008, 11:27 PM
These are Freakin-A-Awsome.
Dont knock them until you try them....
NOT!!! A replacement for a helmet.
I wear mine like you would wear sunglasses while boating with the added benefit of protecting the rest of your face, not just your eyes, and it reduces wind noise. No watery eyes anymore.
I hear by 2009 they are going to be mandatory in the deep south, to keep the Ugly covered up….:cheers:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk213/LakerV4/100_4091.jpg

bob01081969
05-30-2008, 12:48 AM
These are for keeping stuff from blowing into your face and eyes at high speed, and I know of a lot of bass fisherman that wear these in tourny's

bob01081969
05-30-2008, 12:52 AM
if your going to wear a helmet buy a hanns device from simmon's like nascar uses

stokernick
06-25-2008, 04:43 PM
should have had a box of them at Romp Sunday,could have made a lot of people happy!

Laker
06-25-2008, 10:42 PM
A better way to discribe these.
Its offers all the face and eye protection of a helmet but MUCH more comfortable and you still get the wind in your hair. For those who still have hair... Sorry Mark and Chad:D

benski
07-30-2008, 06:44 PM
That would probably be Simpson, not Simmons...racing and safety equipment.

morgantwo2
07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
those save phace face mask are great. they do keep the wind down.. and make driving through cold air, wind, rain, sleet, whatever you are fishing, or boating in, a lot easier. sometimes i keep mine on when i start fishign in the winter.

Mike Prickett
08-03-2010, 08:59 AM
These are great for cold wind protection BUT they ain't worth a crap in the rain ! Water will run down into your face - A helment (full face ) is the only way to go in the rain . I have had two , both have a tendancy to fog over when first put on in the early pre dawn tourn blast offs - They are suppose to be fog proof but they are not. Still , they are GREAT for keeping the cold air out of your face and bugs out of your teeth , BUT THAT'S ALL !