PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft T-170 tunnel hull

Carter Powell
05-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Hey guys, I am just about done with a two year restoration on this boat that I bought new in 1970. I will get some pictures posted real soon. I have done a lot of things differently that I think should have been done originally by the factory. The whole bottom has been trued up completly and the transom ismuch stronger than before. The hull was split into, to replace the floor and transom and is now about one month away from the paint booth. If amyone knows any history about this hull or it's counterpart from Duo boats, would you let me know! I doubt there are more than a half dozen of these left arround. Any help on this history of this hull would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes, Carter Powell

Psyco
05-10-2002, 12:21 AM
Man who ride in 17 Liberator like to get wet and swim.

LakeRacer99
10-09-2002, 01:32 PM
This is a Duo, does the Starcraft look like this? This was for sale last year somewhere.

Carter Powell
10-15-2002, 09:38 AM
Sorry for not posting sooner but the system wouldn't let me log on for three weeks! The picture of the Duo tunnel is the same as the Starcraft. These boats were built from the same molds. Both Starcraft and Duo were owned by the Bangor Punta Corp. in the early 1970s.
If anyone has any info on the origionn of these hulls as to who designed them and how many were built that would be great.

Best wishes, Carter Powell

Banana Boat
10-22-2002, 09:42 PM
hey carter i accidentally posted my own thread instead of a response to yours.its labeled "i had a 17ft Duo "..under outboard and racing history..ill be waiting to see pics of yours..thanks

STVRacing
01-11-2003, 12:54 AM
from what i know aout Duo tunnel boats is that they are supposedly a knockoff of a Magnum Missile and they can handle gobs of horsepower but they are very ugly

Carter Powell
01-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Mercthunder! The Staracraft and Duo hulls were NOT a splash from a magnum, not even close. They are a much larger and more stable hull. Wait till you see mine if you think that they are ugly!

Best Wishes Carter

Jason Huber
01-11-2003, 02:00 PM
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I happen to like that squared-off , Magnum Missle look. :cool: - but that's just me...:D It seems that I had a friend back in the 70's, who's dad had a boat identical to this MM, but i think it was made by Sonic (?) Maybe a mid-western splash of these? :confused:

Jeff Ettinger
01-12-2003, 03:45 AM
The Starcraft/Duo tunnel were copies of Jan Schoonover's Dutchman tunnels built in '66 thru '70. Mag Missles had a different bottom and were shorter. Haven't seen any of theses in years. Good luck with your projects

Mark75H
01-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Jeff are you sure about that start year? 1966? I didn't think anyone in the US was building a true tunnel hull that early.

What did they look like? Got any picutres?

Carter Powell
01-12-2003, 09:13 PM
I have seen a Dutchman tunnel up real close and it looked nothing like my Starcraft tunnel! I was circa 1970.
I was told by a fellow who worked for Starcraft and the indiana plant back in 1970 that some Italian people were instrumental in the design of the bottom of the hull.

Carter Powell

Jeff Ettinger
01-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Mark 75h & Mr. Powell

Quite sure about Dutchman. Drove several. Don't have any pictures, but the quickest referance to same would be Bill Petty made an aluminum copy in '67 and ran twin BP's in '68. first one was 18ft, later followed with a 21ft in '69/'70 with Super BP's. Won 1US in UU class. The Starcraft had the bottom changed slightly and the deck, of course, to make it easier to get in over the side. Thanks for the replies.
Jeff

LakeRacer99
01-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Can anyone provide a pic of a Dutchmen Tunnel?

stray cat
01-17-2003, 06:03 PM
the 17 Liberator is a Starbuck design from the mid 70s I dont know if Jim Starbuck is the one who designed the hull or not I cant find much info on them.The one I have is a 74 I have just recently bought a 03 17t liberator like the one you posted.Ive seen pictures posted in hulls under 20ft of a 17 contender (Wicked tunnel) that is the same hull design Ive heard the boats have a tendency to blow over but I dont have the power to do that, I hope anyway

2Blade
01-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the correction, you're right the boat I saw it did say Starbuck not Starcraft. Anyway, great news about your 17 Liberator. That is a wonderful boat. Post some pictures when you can. What did you power it with? Reid.

LakeRacer99
01-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Hey Carter, lets see some pics of the boat and the restoration. Do you got any?

hoss199
01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
The Duo and starcraft tunnels were based on the Dutchman tunnels. My brother ran a marine sales in Ohio and bought a Dutchman for Duo boats. The redesign work was done by Duo for both companies. They added a bunch of weight, not concerned about performance, just looks.