PDA

View Full Version : HP vs. Weight

Naiscoot
05-17-2007, 11:57 AM
In general how conservative do you think the USCG horsepower ratings are? I own a skiff that is rated at 40 horsepower but I don't think a 50 would make any difference, as it seems to be the same motor. Same thing in the bigger motors. Like a 2.5 150, 175, 200. I could understand if you are going to get a bigger liter motor. Also with today’s new 4-stroke models this really stars to get confusing. Weight would seem to be of more importance than horsepower unless you are ponying up above 20 percent or so. Thanks, Naiscoot <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

kingsbiship
05-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Weight DOES play an important part! If you have a lite boat, you'll see a
difference in those engines, especially bumping the limiter. If they're on a heavy boat, as in my 21' Checkmate, won't be as noticeable cause you're
not reved out as much and in need of large displacement engine to push it.
This is imho!

Way2Lean
05-17-2007, 01:31 PM
My boat launches fine with me in it. Add another person and you CAN tell the difference.
Add another person, tackle, and livewells full of water.....might have to get out and push.

Naiscoot
05-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks, here is my dilemma. My boat is a 12.5 Wahoo Skiff. It is rated to 40 horsepower. Now this boat was made in 1991 before the whole 4-stroke era. It has a very tired 85 40 Johnson. I was advised not to rebuild. I have the opportunity to get either a 50 hp Yammie new or a 95 fifty Johnson used. Now if I go the 4-stroke route the Yammie, which happens to be one of the lighter 4’s I still, will be adding about 65 pounds. If I go the 95 Johnson 50 I add nothing but the tilt and trim. I have been taught that nothing beats displacement but I am not sure if this applies when comparing the same horsepower in the 2 strokes vs. 4 stroke motors. I did look into E-Tech as well but they are far to X-pensive for my budget. Does anyone know who makes Johnson’s? Is it still BRP or has this changed? I heard Zuke was involved.
Thanks, Naiscoot

captcarb
05-18-2007, 02:17 PM
The USCG ratings were developed more than 30 years ago and do not take into account the improvements in boat design since then. It is based on a length and width measurement and a couple of other factors.

There is a new requirement starting in 03 I believe for boats under 20 that requires level flotation. That one does restrict the weight of the engine and they have assigned weights to horsepower ratings. The weights they assigned are close to the 4 stroke weights so they may further restrict the power rating.

jim

Naiscoot
05-18-2007, 02:29 PM
The only thing that stinks about all of this is the is liability insurance. If I am over the max horsepower rating they wont insure me but I suppose I could play stupid. I have also been told that the same size motor (2cyl.) from 40 to 50 horsepower would be no problem. I don't think though that a licensed marina can rig a motor if it is over the boat’s rated horsepower. Kind of stupid though considering as far as I know you can rebuild your motor and bring up the ponies with a worry. Naiscoot <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

captcarb
05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
If you have a claim and they check the serial number they will know. Some insurance companies will insure I think.

Nothing is fair about the ratings. A few years ago the motor manufacturers started rating their motors at the prop shaft instead of at the flywheel. That helped a little because the ratings went down for all the motors. You are right about the dealers not wanting the liability.

If you are concerned about it I would not over power.

jim

Fish
05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
get a 40 and hop it up a bit to get to 50hp, or buy the 50 and get some new decals made that say 40. ;)

kingsbiship
05-19-2007, 02:28 PM
"get some new decals made that say 40"
And hope they don't check the serial numbers!

Naiscoot
05-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Well I already tried that. If I put a different motor on the boat and don't notify my insurance company of it if something’s happens I am S.O.L. Even if I changed the decals or gave a bogus serial # if I make a claim an adjuster will check. My mechanic advised that if I want to bump up the ponies make sure to keep the original leg or find one that has a serial # that indicates 40 horsepower or less. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure a boat that is slight above the maximum horsepower range? If you think about it in 1985 they rated horsepower at the engine and now they rate it at the prop. You would think they would take this in account. Thanks, Naiscoot <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

hsbob
05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
mose boat are bia rated and may not reflect the coast guard measurement method. they are some times really under rated on the normal consummer boats. the high preformance boat use the preformance section of the coast guard ratting where you actually run a boat thru a set course, then rate the boat, eg the new hydro streamrating of 280 vs the old 235 rating for the same hull.

Naiscoot
05-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Well as a whole I think that most planning boats are generally underrated. Like my skiff is rated to 40h.p. The Johnson 40 on there now also came in 45,50,55,60. I was told that any of these models would work but I just need to stay in the same size engine capacity. Now if I went out and bought even a 40 horsepower four-stroke model then I imagine weight would become an issue. Also in 1985 they rated horsepower at the powerhead instead of the prop. I swear I thought that some insurance companies would cover you if you were within a 10% range of horsepower. Lately I have seen boat manufacturers that give an unlimited horsepower rating. So lets say you get a 21-foot bass boat that tops out around 1200lbs. I would love to see what would happen if you bolted on a new Yamaha V-8 4 stroker. This motor is 325 cubic inches and weighs over 800 lbs. I have been in the presence of one and they are gigantic. They are bigger and heavier than most jet skis. I imagine that would be the biggest and only anchor that boat would ever see.