PDA

View Full Version : Omc Help

CNT
05-14-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm trying to remove the bearing carrier housing so that I can replace the prop shaft seals in an older Johnson outboard. Inside the lower unit (behind the proppeller) there are 4 bolts, after I remove the bolts how do I get the housing to come out? Does the prop shaft come out with it ?

Thanks, CNT

Riverratt
05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
On mine I just grabbed hold of the carrier with a big pair of pump pliers and turned the carrier while pulling out on it. The prop shaft does not come out with it. The carrier has an o-ring on the outside of it which adds resistance while you are trying to pull it out.

Riverman
05-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I made a little puller out of a piece of pipe. Welded a nut to the end, and welded on a couple of hooks bent from 1/4" square stock. Works great!

MattGreen
05-14-2007, 07:06 PM
As mentioned, those bearing carriers require a puller. You didn't mention what model you're working on, but many have threaded holes to accept long bolts or threaded rods which are used to pull on. Alternativelyh, you can made some long jaws that grab onto the "arms" of the carrier. A standard "bolt-grip" puller set can be adapted to this job.

If that unit has spent time in salt water or has never been out before some heat may need to be applied to the gear housing itself to expand it enough to pull it out. Heat + the proper puller will usually yank it without too much swearing.

Matt