PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Missle

LakeRacer99
05-07-2002, 03:19 PM
OK, Magnum Missle was it always a glass hull? Where is a good place to get some history on this boat. or even find a project boat?
I think it was a Don Arronow design. Rabco had one, Mikkens also?
Thanks,
Jason

Bruce Washburn
05-07-2002, 07:25 PM
I remember the boats as a kid in S Fla. The magnums were a Don Arronow built boat. They were fiberglass. I heard that they were taken off of a Schulze(question on the spelling) which was one of the first tunnels and was built in Austria. Rabco did build a version later. There was also a 19 ft Arronow design that was sold by Monza for a short time.
The magnums are NOT a boat for a hot V6!

us1
05-07-2002, 07:44 PM
Ah come on Bruce don’t you like gettin wet.:D

Flat Out
05-08-2002, 08:26 AM
To the best of my knowledge the Mikkens were built in Ontario, Canada. They were either a copy or "similar to" the Magnum or Rabco. They are definately not for hot V6s.On a run last fall we had one BLOW OVER. It had a warmed over 2.5 200+ hp Merc. The guy driving was not the boat's owner but a friend who had driven the boat many times and was warned not to drive it so loose.If you choose to mount a V6 on one of these (I'd rather you don't) please be EXTREMELY carefull. This is a full tunnel with not place fo the air to escape.
Raceman posted a story of a few friends who owned these hulls new and had hot inline sixes and they were test drivers at Lake X and one of them is no longer with us.
These are neat looking hulls maybe even classics and should be treated as such. Mount an old tower or V4 and cruise in style. These hulls were never intended to have the power of modern motors.
Have fun, play safe. Summer is here!

AnthonySS
05-08-2002, 08:43 AM
Here is our Freind Bill in his MIKKEN...Magnum Missle Copy

AnthonySS
05-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Another...this boat is very quik and turns awesome....careful though into the wind with V6 Power

LakeRacer99
05-08-2002, 10:43 PM
I am looking for one to restore from that era. i would be using an XS1500 for power. I thought it would be a cool combo.
I would want to be able to run it, but I have a Mirage w/ a 260 on it when I get the urge to fly.
Thanks for all the advice, I agree that you should be careful with all true tunnels, but I guess I would agree like that to any air-entrapment design.
thanks, let me know if you find a beater in need of some love.
Jason

Raceman
05-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Jason, my friend's cousin who was killed was running a pre XS, short 1500. I hope you'll be careful with it. I do think they said it was windy that day.

As far as finding one, my friend's brother ran across his old one in a warehouse in Fla about 10 or so years ago with the old Twister 1 still on it, supposedly in real nice shape. I've lost track of where it supposedly was, but I'd sure like to find it.

Halfassed also ran across one in storage by the local lake. It had a nice appearing XS on it and the guy said he bought it new. It's not actually a Magnum, but rather a copy, but it's still neat. He calls the guy about once a year and feels like he'll get it sooner or later.

Carlson150XS
05-11-2002, 08:41 PM
There is one for sale in St. Georges Delaware-Boat and trailer asking $550.
Call me at 410-459-1480 and I'll give you the details.
Jim

PARKER RABE
05-14-2002, 11:41 AM
i bought the molds from don arrnow in 1970 , we made the boat for 20 years calling it a rabco hustler, those boats killed so many people , that we finally trashed the molds in like 1990??? there is still a few floating around though ...

helmetguru
05-16-2002, 03:01 PM
i have some pics of the missile around here somewhere the two original tunnel boats were the Schultze Hydro Cat and Angelo Molinari's boat...

Baldy
05-17-2002, 07:22 PM
The pic of that miken tunnel looks alot like the dutchman tunnel I was inquiring about in another thread, must be some connection there, all i know is it is a full tunnal also with a old 200 merc on it .

Potroast
05-29-2002, 08:13 PM
I just picked mine up at the end of the summer last year. It has a 1500XS on it and as soon as Olympus sends back my digital camera I will post as many pics as I can. Good luck in your hunt and if anything pops up around the New England area I'll let ya know.:D