PDA

View Full Version : First Outboard to ever lead Parker

Ron Hill
05-06-2002, 07:31 PM
I was reading about someone complaining about painting checkers on their boat. I remembered our DeSilva Wing that was red with black and white checks....

Rod Zapf and my dad built the cowlings and pinted this boat in our garage. I bolted all kinds of aluminum angles to the bottom ...not to make it turn, but to hold air on the straight aways...

I had some of the first 100 cubic inch Evinrudes... OMC's team boats were running in the high 80's...Our DeSilva was running in the low 100's....103...

Fred Hauenstein and I co drove and we picked up 8 laps, I think of lap money....After our Evinrude lead, the President of Mercury, Carl, himself, sent word he wanted that "GOD DAMN HILL BOAT"....

Ann Strang, Charlie's mother negotiated a deal with Carl to buy the boat..actually owned by Jimbo McConnell's dad and my dad....My old man was heading down to get the check from Carl when OMC's Jack Leek...yelled at him and said, "Wait a minute Russ...I'll give you a check...."

I could write several books on my dealing and my dad's dealing with OMC. Usually, we'd help them out of some dam thing....Then, they'd take the credit...

Like the time my dad called Jack Leek, Director of High Performance at OMC and said, "Send me two sends of rings for two engines...." Jack said, "Why?" My dad said, "Well whoever is putting these engines together is breaking the rings at the factory." Leek said, "Under our agreement, you aren't to touch the engines>" My dad said, "The hell with the agreement, I'm tired of blown up engines...send me some rings and hung up."

Some heads rolled at OMC... But they quit putting engines together with broken rings....

boston
05-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Great Stuff!! Thanks!

delawarerick
05-06-2002, 10:48 PM
Come on Ron break the pictures out. Please on a serious note Ron you kept me up all night when you posted last time. Thanks Rick

Laker
05-06-2002, 11:37 PM
OH OH
RON! Thank you again for everything...! Yes you keep more than ONE of us up with these picture marathons!!!!!! Oh and the Stories are just as Enticeing!!
Thanks A million!!!

H2Onut
05-07-2002, 08:00 AM
I love this place!

helmetguru
05-16-2002, 03:38 PM
there are a bunch of ron's pictures on my site you can check out at www.helmetgraphics.com/scotti.html

LakeRacer99
05-16-2002, 04:04 PM
Holy Cow, you have the coolest site ever!
I was wondering how to get larger pics of the classic one you have on your site. Can you email some or post here.
Thanks,
Jason

Ron Hill
05-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Hey, Helmet....

You trying to "horn in" on my digs??? Thanks for posting...you have tons of talent and this group should know you!!!!

Cool pictures of your dad's Triple C....

More Stuff on WWW.********************

Scream And Fly
05-27-2002, 03:37 AM
We owe you so much Ron - we love those pictures and stories!

I can't get enough of them!

Greg