PDA

View Full Version : Trailers: Aluminum VS Steel.

1BadAction
04-30-2007, 03:54 PM
aside from the obvious advantages of aluminum and steel (al is light and resist corrosion, steel is cheap, strong, and tows well) what are some disadvantages of both of them. opinions? I've always had coated steel trailers and no problems with rust, but most of my boating up untill this point has been in fresh water.

Hot Shot Merc
04-30-2007, 04:07 PM
There is no disadvantage to an aluminum trailer other than you cant realy paint it and make it match the boat.Steel trailers are ok for fresh water but use it in salt for two years and even though you think you have rinsed it clean it will be junk in no time.Galv are ok but the alum is and always will be my pick.Torsion axel and stainless hardware as well.:)

Hottrucks
04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
If your just towing your Action then I would go Al. That being said I have Al. and find it Flexs as I go down the road ( keep in mind my trailer is 36 feet from front to back) still it tows well and the flex may contrubute to a smoother ride for the boat...

But definately A Tor Flex Axle and Large wheels ( 15" )

Bruster
04-30-2007, 07:08 PM
There is no disadvantage to an aluminum trailer other than you cant realy paint it and make it match the boat.

Piece of cake to properly paint an aluminium trailer. Not sure why anyone would ever want to.:D

Ted Stryker
04-30-2007, 09:22 PM
I've had 1 Aluminum, 1 galvanized, and all the rest have been steel... The Aluminum was My favorite, it was an I-beam type and was easily as strong as My steel trailers... When the Aluminum was clean, I liked the looks as well or more than the painted steel...

Hot Shot Merc
05-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Looked closer last night at the steel trailer under my Action and the adjustable brackets from the stantion to the bunks are rotted and breaking off.The leaf springs and the Ubolts are also totaly rusted through.I never realized how bad it was untill this thread made me look closer.I am buying another very soon.

Mastercraft241
05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
hot shot merc , go look at old glory trailers. Very well built trailers with unbeleivable prices. Just purchased one a month ago and couldnt be more satisfied! Also, a pleasure to work with. Their website is www.oldglorytrailers.com (http://www.oldglorytrailers.com) . Ask for Richie and tell him Jason Bernstein sent you.

Hot Shot Merc
05-01-2007, 08:35 AM
hot shot merc , go look at old glory trailers. Very well built trailers with unbeleivable prices. Just purchased one a month ago and couldnt be more satisfied! Also, a pleasure to work with. Their website is www.oldglorytrailers.com (http://www.oldglorytrailers.com) . Ask for Richie and tell him Jason Bernstein sent you.The link to that site is bad.Got a number instead?

Mastercraft241
05-01-2007, 11:41 AM
yea, here. 256-310-1184 .

Hot Shot Merc
05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanx:)

LakeRacer99
05-03-2007, 11:20 AM
not sure about use in salt since I am hundreds of miles from it, but wouldn't a polished aluminum trailer be cool...you would have to hire you some help to keep it shiny though...

What about stainless trailers? I have seen them for PWCs, maybe google for it...I am sure the cost would be cheap...hehe.

Like This:
http://www.extremetrailers.com/new/extreme_stainless_series.html

1BadAction
05-03-2007, 11:26 AM
actually i already checked on stainless, and even if i did all the work myself, the parts would cost almost 2k. :eek: stainless torsion suspension is expensive enough without me doing the whole thing in it.

it'll probably end up being aluminum channel, i want to do rec. tubing but i think i'll have problems with it floating or being too light in a cross current.

then again, the steel custom line trailer i had under my bass boat had been to the keys 6 years and was other than the fenders starting to rust. that epoxy paint they use is some tough chit.

LakeRacer99
05-03-2007, 12:28 PM
1Bad...Glastron made an aluminum rec box trailer in the early 80's. It was painted to match the boats.
I am not sure I understand the comment that you can't paint an alum trailer.
Most folks with old glastrons don't even know this. I am pretty sure this is one...

1BadAction
05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
thats pretty similar to what im going to be doing as far as style. low slung, big wheels, tight fitting, etc. maybe I'll try tubing.

BUSHWACKER
05-03-2007, 08:39 PM
thats pretty similar to what im going to be doing as far as style. low slung, big wheels, tight fitting, etc. maybe I'll try tubing.
I may have an old 11X22 around here somewhere if that will help ya:D

Bruster
05-04-2007, 04:39 PM
actually i already checked on stainless, and even if i did all the work myself, the parts would cost almost 2k. :eek: stainless torsion suspension is expensive enough without me doing the whole thing in it.

it'll probably end up being aluminum channel, i want to do rec. tubing but i think i'll have problems with it floating or being too light in a cross current.

then again, the steel custom line trailer i had under my bass boat had been to the keys 6 years and was other than the fenders starting to rust. that epoxy paint they use is some tough chit.

I think a Stainless Steel trailer would be pretty trick. Everyone has a painted, Galvenized or Aluminium trailer. No one has a Stainless Steel trailer. I would think material cost Stainless to Aluminium wouldn't be that great. I would rather weld Stainless any day, and the cool factor that only comes with Stainless.:D

craddock
05-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Most folks with old glastrons don't even know this. I am pretty sure this is one...

Yep it is. I have that same boat and trailer sitting in my backyard.(Ski Machine top though) Aluminum trailer. Boat is free minus windshield and Trailer if anyone wants it. Needs plenty of work.

LakeRacer99
05-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Yep it is. I have that same boat and trailer sitting in my backyard.(Ski Machine top though) Aluminum trailer. Boat is free minus windshield and Trailer if anyone wants it. Needs plenty of work.

got any pics?

speedboats
05-20-2007, 01:02 AM
We made ours with a folded channel and box section x-members, alcoa wheels. Being a tandem and having the box sealed to avoid the salt getting in definately kept them floating (damn alloy is to light), so we drilled holes in the box and they started to sink. Now we fold the x-members out of plate as well, problem solved!!!

Hottrucks
05-20-2007, 08:09 AM
You have great Bling factor having them that polished...what do you use on the bottom of that Boat in the first pic?????
I just bought some stuff called FLITZ I saw it at bike week ...after sticking my finger in it and running to a neighboring venders tent to try it I had to buy some... I figured he had polished the same piece about a million times but when I used it on a piece of diamond plate that was used as a wire cover and it worked??? Well enough said. I cann't wait to put it to the test on my trailer fenders and later the whole thing

1BadAction
05-20-2007, 12:19 PM
hmm... those are some sweet trailers.