PDA

View Full Version : More Inline Tuning Questions

XSRaveau
05-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Cranked the XS again after cleaning the contacts in the dist. cap along with the rotor. Seemed to run a bit better. Still missing some though. True submersion test at the landing with the engine in gear will be the only way to be sure.

Pulled all the plugs and inspected each, noticed the #1, 2 and 6 plugs were spotless, as if they had not seen any running time. Recall reading in my Clymer's that a spotless plug could likely be getting water in the cylinder. Any thoughts? All other plugs were dirty as expected with 32:1 at idle for 10 min.

Intend on changing out my exhaust cover gaskets, might as well change the water passage cover as well. Is it imperative that you use the "Resi-Weld" as per the manual? What else will work?

Jeff_G
05-09-2002, 03:51 PM
You use the epoxy only on the inner plate bolts. If the inner plate is not leaking don't touch it. You can tell water when you pull the outer 2 plates by the greyish milky exhaust inside.
If you have to replace the inner plate use a new plate, I have had success with high temp loctite the perm one 252? Have to check. Also good luck lightly coating the inner gasket with high temp red RTV, not the copper stuff. Most important torque in sequence and take it to 200 inch pounds.
The motor uses a surface gapped plug which has no heat range but is essentially cold. You may not see any carbon build up at idle on new plugs. Only under load. Check for good firing too.

XSRaveau
05-09-2002, 05:07 PM
only if I see the existing one is warped or corroded to the point it is not achieving a good seal?

Plugs #1, 2 and 6 were perfectly spotless, whereas the others were very dirty. Clymer's says to change plugs around and see if the dirty ones come clean in another cylinder.

I'll check the other things you mentined. Thanks

Jeff_G
05-10-2002, 08:15 AM
If the plate in there has been in a long time it should have built up a lot of carbon. You will usually see where the water is coming from from the "trail" of muddy exhaust or the cleaning action. You will not see the warpage!!! There is also a good chance of breaking off some bolts and the middle bolts in the inner side plate are in a very thin area. Once again don't touch unless you know it leaks or has been off recently. The outer 2 plates are not as bad but soak in liquid wrench first to try and avoid breaking bolts. Also the rear water jacket, if it isn't leaking bad outward do not remove. Broken bolt probably again. These are great motors but due to age handle with kid gloves taking them apart.

Run the motor at idle on the hose. Shut off motor and immediately pull plugs, look for water droplets. If none probably OK, may be a milky look too if water. 6 will almost always be clean. The others should carbon up or at least show a carbon track from center electrode to ground. Sometimes too much fuel. Since it is 1 and 2 check low speed mixture adjustment, about 3 turns. And float level. May be too much fuel and cleaning plugs.

XSRaveau
05-10-2002, 12:53 PM
carb. #1 set to what I would think is kinda' lean, something around 1.25 to 1.5 turns. Seemed to do best on the hose about there. Recall your earlier advice to be certain to set carbs on the trailer, gearcase immersed, in gear for best results. Will have to try that once I get the gaskets changed and stud repaired.

BTW, baby Maggi came yesterday into this world weighing 7 #, 10 oz. with a healthy cry and looking like the best thing Mom and Dad have seen since her big sister Morgan came 2+ years ago!

Everybody is doing fine at this juncture:D All engine work has been suspended until further notice;)

Jeff_G
05-10-2002, 01:56 PM
Congradulations! Have you started the college fund yet? LOL

The idle is too lean around 3 or the motor will bog getting out of the hole. Also make it pop at idle,

Let me know how it is going.

XSRaveau
05-10-2002, 05:31 PM
:)

Whatcha' mean make it pop at idle?

You sayin' about 2-3 turns is typically the best setting?

Jeff_G
05-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Yep, the pop is a lean sneeze.