PDA

View Full Version : 150 Opti hop-ups?

RikuY
04-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Hello!
I am looking at a 18' Action with 150 Opti on it. It's a 2002 model and am wondering if there are any sources for hopping this motor up in the future?
I am new to the action hull and it already rips for a 150, but once I get used to it, I would like to add power.

What is available for this motor? I believe it's the 2.5 V6, and am looking for wise words on the options.

I guess if worse comes to worse, I will need to switch to a proper 2.5 for more power. Will this be a direct switch over? The Smartcraft is not hooked up.

Any other words of wisdom will be well received by me. Thanks in advance...

Stinky
04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Not legal to "hop up" an emissions motor.

Even if you did, how would you re-cal for the increased HP?

:cool:

blkmtrfan
04-25-2007, 11:45 AM
how would you re-cal for the increased HP?

I am sure you could do it :p

RikuY
04-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I didn't know about the legality issue. Thanks.

So, would the switch-over to a proper 2.5 down the road be simple?

hsbob
04-25-2007, 04:37 PM
should be remove and replace.

150aintenuff
04-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Not legal to "hop up" an emissions motor.

Even if you did, how would you re-cal for the increased HP?

yea so what... how do they test the emmissions..... they CAN'T.... and as far as recal... there aint much different from the 150 to the 200XS.... so there is atleast 200 hp in that block waiting to come out.... but as far as a drop on.. carbs would be easiest.... just un plug harness and install drop on.... just make sure its complete... with the electronics and you will be good to go..
or get a 280 complete motor and call it good...

Stinky
04-26-2007, 07:18 AM
yea so what... ..

Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

:rolleyes: ;) :)

Fish
04-26-2007, 07:25 AM
:) :) :) :) :)

RikuY
04-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Is there some kind of code going on here I don't know about? Should I be drunk to understand all this? This stuff is G-13 classified isn't it?

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

Fish, I think I am deciphering that you know what's up. I will try to hook up with you at the next rally. I can't make River Ranch though...

rollin
04-26-2007, 09:32 AM
RikuY take off the skirt and buy a 2.5 280 thats all the hop up you'll need.oh remember to wear a life jacket a floating cooler does not count.we still going out on sunday.lets goto total wine I cant keep drinking jim beam I think it ate a hole in me:D

150aintenuff
04-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

:rolleyes: ;) :)

untill there are DEQ stations on the water the sniff the water filled exhaust its fair game IMO..... cause nobody could tell visually anyhow.. hell a 280 on alysin oil visually runs the same as a 150 opti on cheepo crap oil..

AwesomeBullet
04-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I believe that Rapair has cracked the code on the Opti ecm's.....;)

And the water eco nazis aren't too far away. I know of lakes in California where you have to pass through 4 inspection stations at the ramp before you can launch. They test your fuel, oil, check the compression, pull the data from the ecm to make sure there are no trouble codes, and you have to present a reciept showing that the boat was fueled that morning at one of only a hand full of service stations whose fuel is permitted on the lake. Other lakes they just take your prop so you can't run the big motor.:eek:

Euroski
04-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Cal"l"ifornia... personally I wouldn't live there even if I didn't own a boat. Problem solved! Emission laws have been around since the mid 70's for cars/trucks and the performance industry is thriving selling aftermarket parts.

1BadAction
04-28-2007, 01:07 PM

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/821/kaboomwebtl2.jpg

AwesomeBullet
04-28-2007, 01:36 PM
1Bad, that may be true for now. But it is at least a step in the right direction and it is nice to see that someone is at least trying to figure these things out. It shows that there is still a future in hot rodding a motor, even though soon you may spend as much time behind the screen of a laptop working fuel and timing curves as you do working the internals of the motor.

150aintenuff
04-28-2007, 02:38 PM

And the water eco nazis aren't too far away. I know of lakes in California where you have to pass through 4 inspection stations at the ramp before you can launch. They test your fuel, oil, check the compression, pull the data from the ecm to make sure there are no trouble codes, and you have to present a reciept showing that the boat was fueled that morning at one of only a hand full of service stations whose fuel is permitted on the lake. Other lakes they just take your prop so you can't run the big motor.:eek:

must be
tahoe

1BadAction
04-28-2007, 02:44 PM
1Bad, that may be true for now. But it is at least a step in the right direction and it is nice to see that someone is at least trying to figure these things out. It shows that there is still a future in hot rodding a motor, even though soon you may spend as much time behind the screen of a laptop working fuel and timing curves as you do working the internals of the motor.

I agree, but why do you think the 2.5 optis are putting out 240ish HP and 7400rpm at the max? why does the 300XS need to be 3.2L to make 300HP?

its not the tuning, its not the injection design, its the nature of DFI in a 2-Stroke. if you want to start feeding these engines at a much higher rpm than what manufacturers do at the factory, you better understand a helluva lot more about engines than just rich/lean. the biggest problem is the window of time the injection has to inject fuel into the cylinder. At more than 7000, that time is VERY short. Just because you can raise the rev-limit doesn't make you an engine tuner or mean you should do it.

AwesomeBullet
04-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Yep, there are going to be A LOT of blown powerheads when people start to tinker with these things. The technology is there though. The injectors on the Etec, using dual speaker coils to drive the injector open and closed, have been proven and tested to be able to operate at 10,000rpm. Remember when cars first started going to EFI and multi-port technology. Most of the hot rodders thought it was the death knell for the performance side of automobiles. It took a few years, but now there are performance parts for cars that were never thought possible and they can reliably make big horsepower from small powerplants with minor bolt on parts and ecm tweaking. No, your average backyard joe can't do it. But someone that has an intricate knowledge of what is happening in the motor and how to interpret the information in the ecm is going to be able to open a whole new world in performance boating. It might take a few years, but in my eyes, the future looks very bright.

150aintenuff
04-28-2007, 03:16 PM
also unless the injectors are over cycled there is a limminting factor there as well... as the orfice's curremtly available wont support much more HP as is unless larger injectors are used..

1BadAction
04-28-2007, 04:45 PM
working at 10,000rpm is fine, but being able to feed the fuel through them is the problem. they can be "proven to operate" at 30,000 rpm, and if they cant supply enough fuel for more than 6500 then thats all they're good for. they already go on the lean side at rev-limit, question is, is that the injector flow or the programming? of course if someone stepped up and modded injectors for more flow there would be no worries. even a second set of auxiliary injectors would solve that problem. :eek: whos going to be the guinea pig?

DFI 2 strokes and EFI 4s cant be compared, 2 totally different ways of doing things. now its not really a technology/software issue like it was, its a "hardware" one, but I don't think a dfi hotrod is out of the question either. Really it pisses me off that this is an issue, it really shouldnt be, but of course the government does any damn thing they want to so it is... at least for complete engines. if you want to talk powerheads, just go to diamond and order whatever ya want :D

AwesomeBullet
04-28-2007, 05:58 PM
I wasn't trying to compare the two technologies, just merely saying that the doomsdayers were speaking loudly then and technology has proven them wrong. It will take some time, and there will be some failures, but I think that there will be some hi performance DFI outboards coming.

In my reference to the 10,000rpms. It wasn't just the injectors that were tested. A working motor was complete and turning those numbers. There are some pretty smart engineers out there that are working on this and there is a viable option coming. Why do you say they go on the lean side at the rev limit? On the Evinrudes they start flowing EXTRA fuel at 5800 to keep you off the limiter, at 6150 they flow A LOT EXTRA and start to kill spark to alternating cylinders to get you off the limiter. I'm talking enough extra that if I run around and spend most of my time in th 5850-5900 range, my fuel mileage is cut in about half....

1BadAction
04-28-2007, 06:30 PM
a working motor? where can i read more about it?

that was a couple years back now, they could have changed the EMM programs since then. or it might have been reading flame front cause it was too rich :o LOL

Stinky
04-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Your all missing the real reason a DFI (clean) motor can't turn RPM.

Its the depth of the combustion bowl. To make a 2 or 3 star motor, you have to have a small diameter, very deep combustion bowl to contain the fuel plume. At higher rpm's there just isn't enough time to scavange out the burned gases in these deep bowls.

You could put a DI system on a 280, with its very shallow head bowl, and turn the same rpm as the EFI. (although things would be running a little hotter than the EFI.:eek: )

But it would never come close to passing emissions.

Thats why your seeing big displacement, high torque, low rpm motors in the high HP classes.

1BadAction
04-28-2007, 09:42 PM
nice.

150aintenuff
04-29-2007, 12:31 AM
and as I said earlier.... if there is no testing in place for the consumer... WHO GIVES A ****!!!!! DO IT ALREADY.... or atleast make upgrade parts available out of white boxes that will let us play..... interestingly... a 1989 Geo Metro with a carburator got 55-60 MPG but the new Aveo as its replacement only gets 35 MPg... to me let me see..... 50 miles to disperse emmissions or 35..... also if your only burning one-two oz of fuel per mile compared to 4oz thereis NO WAY IN HELL that the engine that is using HALF the fuel produces MORE emmissions than the one that uses 3 -4 OZ per mile... SCience doenst lie and neither does mathmatics.....

Euroski
04-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Stinky, nothing wrong with "big displacement, high torque, low rpm motors" is there? After all it's the torque that really does the work to move the boat... correct?

Tony Montana
04-29-2007, 07:16 AM
stinky, thanks for the infomation, it is good to have input from someone who actually knows what they are talking about. just ignore 150aintenuff, he is the only one who takes his posts seriously.

Stinky
04-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Stinky, nothing wrong with "big displacement, high torque, low rpm motors" is there? After all it's the torque that really does the work to move the boat... correct?

Not at all. I'd take a 300XS over a 280, or even a 300X any day.:cool:

Now wait for it.......here it comes......... BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LITTLE GUY THAT CAN'T TAKE THE WEIGHT. There, I said it first.:rolleyes:

Happy now 150????

Stinky
04-29-2007, 09:40 AM
stinky, thanks for the infomation, it is good to have input from someone who actually knows what they are talking about. just ignore 150aintenuff, he is the only one who takes his posts seriously.

:) :) :D ;)

Stinky
04-29-2007, 10:00 AM
and as I said earlier.... if there is no testing in place for the consumer... WHO GIVES A ****!!!!! DO IT ALREADY.... or atleast make upgrade parts available out of white boxes that will let us play..... interestingly... a 1989 Geo Metro with a carburator got 55-60 MPG but the new Aveo as its replacement only gets 35 MPg... to me let me see..... 50 miles to disperse emmissions or 35..... also if your only burning one-two oz of fuel per mile compared to 4oz thereis NO WAY IN HELL that the engine that is using HALF the fuel produces MORE emmissions than the one that uses 3 -4 OZ per mile... SCience doenst lie and neither does mathmatics.....

Emissions is tested at 5 mode points. WOT being the dirtiest point.

The FEL is a bunch of math to weight the test, but in simple terms, its HC + NOx in grams per kilowhatt hour.

A rich motor in general will have high HC and low NOx.
A lean motor will have low HC and high NOx.

So yes, if you burn half the fuel, you'll put out less HC, but...... your NOx will go up much more than what you saved in HC. And you won't pass a test.

Its government, so its not a simple process.;)

Euroski
04-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Its government, so its not a simple process... I work as a tech for a VW/Audi dealer and it's a real PAIN for the auto makers to make an emission system to keep everyone happy. Between the "governmental emission standards", performance to keep the owner happy, and just to try the darn MIL/Check engine lamp out on the newer vehicles. There's a very fine line in engineering in keeping and engine emission happy!

RikuY
05-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Not meaning to drag the mud from the post, just thought I would post a pic of the rig... I am smiling from ear to ear, and that's the important part.

pappazoid
05-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Need some help on comparing the Yamaha 300 hpdi's to the Suzuki 300 4-stroke. Looking at replacing the Yamaha's on my 2004 33' Hydrasport. Any thought appreciated.

RikuY
05-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Can't really help you from first-hand experience pappazoid. You may want to start a new thread on the subject to get some better response. You will also want to add information like where you run your boat, conditions, activities with the rig, and the advantages you would like to gain from the switch.

I hope this helps...