PDA

View Full Version : Safety gear article

Techno
04-14-2001, 06:32 PM
I E-mailed S&F about doing an article about the safety gear. Considering how much it costs for just one set it seemed a good idea for a performance article.
I have noticed that while magazines will say " wear the correct safety gear" they have never done an article on it. For someone who doesn't have it yet there is really no source for finding out what it is or what you should have.

One example is a supposed 100 MPH ski jacket that goes for about $100. Some one posted about wearing one and it came apart below this speed.

What do you think? Would it be useful to you?

JTS Racing
04-14-2001, 09:03 PM
With engines getting more powerful and hull designs and mods being a major topic, I see little in the way of safety being discussed. I have read the stories of those that run speeds in excess of 100 without any gear at all on.:( Is safety an issue or do people look at it as if it's only a concern for racers?? We gear up with some of the most hightech and expensive gear that money can by,,,and that's to only make an 8 to ? sec pass through the quarter. Some run speeds of only around 100 mph while others are up near 140 mph. My insurance and bond for racing is less that what it cost me for the bassboat I use to have. The lack of safety concern may be what pushes a lot of cost up for the average boater.

BK
04-15-2001, 01:02 AM
Great Idea, Techno --
It's never a bad idea to suggest a safer way to go fast.

I did an article a couple weeks ago on Helmet restraints -- if you need some info on that aspect, I can help.

Sleekster
04-17-2001, 04:57 PM
Techno,

Please do. I've been considering getting the appropriate stuff. A contrast of the equipment would be a great shopping time saver for me. Great idea. Of course, if I'm the only one interested.....