PDA

View Full Version : Looking for aqua racer plans

KG4
04-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Looking for some plans for an old school tunnel.I know of one called the aqua racer it kind of looked like an old molinari.My cousin built one in the 70s.Also,What about the glen l tunnel king.Anyone have experiance with that hull?Thanks guys.VINTAGE FOREVER.:D

Hottrucks
04-16-2007, 02:39 PM
do a search I was going to do one a year or so ago and started a post on them. I forget the name but it's here some where...the origanal plan came from a Popular mechanics mag.....

David - WI
04-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Like this one from Mechanix Illustrated?
http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=MechanixIllustrated/AquaRacer

KG4
04-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Thats the one,Thanks a ton.I have never built a boat before.Do you guys know of anyone that could build that hull for me if i got the plans?Thanks again,I really appreciate it.

David - WI
04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
There's a guy (maybe the same guy) selling plans on CD on E-bay... and he has some photos of a small hydro(?) under construction. Aqua Racer is listed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250103947664

I think I would just order the plans for $15 and see how tough the project looks after you look them over.

Raceman
04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
The yellow boat on the plans link is the MiniMost. My Dad and I built one when I was a kid and it's a GREAT toy for kids. Like the ad says, it'll run 30+ with a 10 horse motor, will slide all around and would be very hard to roll, although it can be swamped.

As far as the tunnel shown there, it looks like early 70's or maybe even late 60's technology. If you're froggy to build a real tunnel I'd go and take some super accurate measurements and pictures of something more current and build from there. I think that old one in the plans would be a blowover risk at anything over 60 MPH.

Mark75H
04-16-2007, 05:45 PM
I think that old one in the plans would be a blowover risk at anything over 60 MPH.

We can always ask John Schubert and find out .... ;)

KG4
04-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the tip raceman,I was also looking at the mini max.I would love to build one for my kids.It looks like it would be fairly easy to build.I have a nice 7.5 merc with electric start that would be perfect for it.I think i should build a few small ones first then mabey try something a little bigger.I also like the tunnel mite kit from glen l.Looks like it would be a fun little ride with a mark 25 on the back.Thanks again.

Raceman
04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
I built the Tunnel Mite myself once. It was a neat project. I had an old Mark 30 that I put on it, but never found anything close to enough pitch for it. The Mark 30H that I've got now would have put it in the wind. I'm gonna build another Mini Most sooner or later just for old time's sake. My Dad bought me a new 5 horse Johnson for Christmas that year, and traded it for a white 9.8 Merc several months later. That was my first Merc at about 10 yrs old and I never looked back.;)

I think you'd like the Mini Most a lot more than the Mini Max.

Zonkercraft
04-16-2007, 09:26 PM
I have a full set of Aqua racer plans. These are original blueprints, from way back when. I'll be putting them on Ebay, if you don't have an interest in them.
I agree that the boat would be a risk, with more than reasonable horsepower, and no experiance with a tunnel boat.
This hull has an "S" type tunnel roof, so it maximizes the lift potential.
Caution is in order
It could be a riot, if driven with some caution.
Have fun!
And do get John's advise on it. It would prove more than useful in the long run

MN4V
04-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I looked at some of those dimensions. The sponson depth at the transom is 9" and at the sponson break point it's 15.25". Yep that's alot of lift. But the S bottom does move the higher presure father back in the tunnel than the straight tunnel bottom. If you use a stock motor with a factory prop and set it low in the water it could still be a good play boat.

The S bottom is still used and is still the fastest design in the SST 60 class. The fast guys run around 85 mph in comp.
Mark Nelson

KG4
04-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Zonkercraft,I am interested in them.Shoot me an email and let me know what you are asking for them.My email is dsr_racer@yahoo.com

John Schubert
04-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Zonkercraft,I am interested in them.Shoot me an email and let me know what you are asking for them.My email is dsr_racer@yahoo.com

I'm going to attempt to attach the article from Mechanix Illustarted where I test drove the Aqua Racer for Hal Kelley. He had asked that I test it for him as we were friends from Stock racing out of NJ & I currently was racing for OMC & lived in Winter Haven, FL.

KG4
04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks John,The aqua racer my cousin built back in the day ran real good.He had a 125 bp on it.I remember he shortend it to around 15ft because it wouldnt plane out.He had it for a few years and his brother blew it over on a local lake here in alpena and it never ran right after that.It was his fault thuogh because he had no tunnel boat experiance and they had a couple cold ones that day VERY STUPID.I had a chance to buy it but i was still in school and didnt have any money.The boat ran almost 80 with the 125bp on it.I have been hooked on old school tunnels all my life.My dad ran a baja ct 150 tunnel back in the day and thats what started it all.I know that desighn is very outdated but there is just something about an old school tunnel with an inlie on it that really gets me excited.I will have one someday just for playing and showing.Thanks again for the info on the boat.

Jimboat
05-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Hal Kelly's Aqua Racer is a good example of 1970's design tunnel hull. Plans would help you with structural design of the hull. You may want to update the details of the design, however, to reflect the substantial advancements in tunnel hull design that have been developed over the past years. Both speed, acceleration and dynamic stability improvements would be recognized from a few dimensional/design updates.

Hottrucks
05-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Hey Jimboat a buddy picked up a Glen L V bottom if you want to call it that, it's pretty flat?? At the back it looks like there is a, for lack of a better word, built in trim tab?? it's on both sides of the motor on the trailing edge of the hull. When the boat runs it seems to want to keep the bow down (as I think it would do) this causes it to run nose heavy, my question is?? is this normal on these hulls as a built in safety to stop blow overs?? And If we remove it would that be a bad thing?? It has an old 135Hp, I 6 merc on it and I think the boat will preform better with it gone.

Thanx In advance
Jeff

Jimboat
05-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Hottrucks - it depends on which GlenL design it is. many of these designs were done many years ago, built for different power situations than are available today. modifications are not uncommon, but it's worth understanding why the trailing surfaces were put there in the first place, and what power/weight will be used in today's setup. which GlenL design is it? Let me know, and I will look up the design (I will have a copy of the plans) and see what it's like.