PDA

View Full Version : My cummins on the dyno, 546hp 1188 ft-lbs..

pwerwagn
04-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Here is a vid of my 98 12V cummins tow vehicle on the dyno. It made 546hp, 1188 ft-lbs of torque. Running 45lbs of boost in that particular video...

http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/wm/a430400c-2388-4e2f-822f-98fc00e23f26.htm

Jeff

Redneck
04-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Good running Dodge there. My 05 CR is running 602 and 1247. Get the heads o-ringed, throw some head studs on it, twin turbos, and get that thing in the 1000's. Should have mine over 1000hp withing a few months. Oh, with meth and NO2, I should be over 1500hp. Im really going to be playing with some tuned Vipers this year.

STV_Keith
04-19-2007, 12:18 AM
It's amazing what a Cummins can make. I remember back to 2000 when a 300rwhp truck was just "insane". Now, 500hp is commonplace. 4WD & Offroad did this piece on my truck back in 2004: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/dodge/131_0407_dodge_ram_cummins_upgrade/

Since then, even more power is achieveable.

I believe the current top dog dyno number for a 3rd gen is 1186hp with a lot of nitrous. I know a 12v just went 1216rwhp last weekend at DDP dyno day. I've seen more, but that's classified info. ;)

Redneck
04-19-2007, 03:12 AM
There is a guy around here who is running a 89 Dodge, 24 valve converted to the 12 valve p-pump. Supposed to be making over 2000hp. Ive seen that truck do wheels up launches, even with over a ton of motor in the front of the truck. But that thing also has stupid amounts of money in it. Big #'s are coming from these trucks now, and my goal is to be at the top, even if its not for long. Its just so rewarding to stomp a Vette or Viper, or those pesky imports. Knowing you did this in a truck that can tow anything you hook it to, and live a million miles, and knock down 27mpg on the freeway is just so rewarding. As soon as Cummins makes an outboard turbo diesel, Im buying it.

pwerwagn
04-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I remember that article Keith. I also remember all the vids of your guy's white truck running 13's, I thought that was nuts. Now its common place. I saw on TDR yesterday about the 1100+ hp 3rd gen. Thats nuts.
I've seen more, but that's classified info Thats what joe tell me all the time. he uses the word censored a LOT!!:cool:

My problem now is the clutch. I skimped out when I got it from Joe D, I got the luk instead of the SB. Now the luk slips. Oh well, Joe tried to tell me. I was getting married like 3 days after I got the clutch, so I skimped. :rolleyes:

There is a guy around here who is running a 89 Dodge, 24 valve converted to the 12 valve p-pump. Supposed to be making over 2000hp. Ive seen that truck do wheels up launches, even with over a ton of motor in the front of the truck.

got any pics?? I hear of ctd's pulling the wheels all the time, but never ever seen a pic. Why would he have a 24V in a first gen, and then put a P-pump on it?? did he do the 12v head too?

-Jeff

STV_Keith
04-19-2007, 10:36 AM
There is a guy around here who is running a 89 Dodge, 24 valve converted to the 12 valve p-pump. Supposed to be making over 2000hp. Ive seen that truck do wheels up launches, even with over a ton of motor in the front of the truck. But that thing also has stupid amounts of money in it. Big #'s are coming from these trucks now, and my goal is to be at the top, even if its not for long. Its just so rewarding to stomp a Vette or Viper, or those pesky imports. Knowing you did this in a truck that can tow anything you hook it to, and live a million miles, and knock down 27mpg on the freeway is just so rewarding. As soon as Cummins makes an outboard turbo diesel, Im buying it.

2000hp? I'd LOVE to see a dyno sheet...until then I'd be calling BS. So is this a drag truck or a standard old 89 1st gen? 2000hp should put it in the 6's. Haven't heard about this guy. And these motors are just over 1/2 ton, not over 1 ton. :)

STV_Keith
04-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I remember that article Keith. I also remember all the vids of your guy's white truck running 13's, I thought that was nuts. Now its common place.

That truck went high 11's in the end back in May of 02, but we had no intention of putting a cage in it, so that's where it's development stopped.

Thats what joe tells me all the time. he uses the word censored a LOT!!:cool:

Good, he doesn't need to breach his confidentiality contract. ;)

Redneck
04-19-2007, 02:40 PM
2000hp? I'd LOVE to see a dyno sheet...until then I'd be calling BS. So is this a drag truck or a standard old 89 1st gen? 2000hp should put it in the 6's. Haven't heard about this guy. And these motors are just over 1/2 ton, not over 1 ton. :)
I watched him run a 5.8 at Kennedale. One pass, and asked to leave because no cage. Now its back halved, caged and running scary fast. I dont know if it has been dynoed, but it runs like its making big power. He says when all the bugs are worked out he will be making some races. As of now, he is low key.

Pwerwagn, have you looked into Haisley clutches? Cheaper than southbend, but their dual disk shifts way faster. It is made for drag racing. Its what Im getting for mine.

STV_Keith
04-19-2007, 02:49 PM
5.8 in the 1/8 I assume? That's a mid 9 second pass in the 1/4, and we've done that with 750hp in a stripped down drag truck. 2000hp would be in the 3's to the 1/8 and 6's in the 1/4.

Good luck to him though...it's tougher when you start making big power.

pwerwagn
04-19-2007, 03:54 PM
got any vids of this 2K truck, or a timeslip? Even a pic? Is it just a 24V block with a p-pump? or does it run a 12V head and all?

Good, he doesn't need to breach his confidentiality contract

LOL, thats funny. But no, Joe is very professional when talking trucks, even around friends. He was pretty ticked at our nmtdr dyno day a few weeks ago, when I found a split #6 injector line on his truck just before he was going to dyno. Killed his dreams for the days highest hp...

Pwerwagn, have you looked into Haisley clutches? Cheaper than southbend, but their dual disk shifts way faster. It is made for drag racing. Its what Im getting for mine.

Nah, if I actually buy a clutch, Im gonna support Peter. He has been tremendously helpful with me when talking clutches. He also spends a significant amout of time online answering questions and helping people out, which means a lot. (Same goes for you Keith...).
His new spring'd dual disc's are awesome. I'll pay the extra money to support an entirely american company (Peter refuses to use any material/product not assembled here in america).

In all honesty, Im probably gonna screw the 5-speed and put an auto in it. Prolly a full billet goerends or DTT.
I should be getting my new HTT turbo next week...:D we'll see how long the luk lasts now.

--Jeff

pwerwagn
04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
This wouldnt happen to be Greg Hogue your thinking of would it??:rolleyes: cause im sure ole comp belives he can run 6's....
Just kinda ironic the Dr P truck is in texas, where you are from.

--Jeff

STV_Keith
04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
This wouldnt happen to be Greg Hogue your thinking of would it??:rolleyes: cause im sure ole comp belives he can run 6's....
Just kinda ironic the Dr P truck is in texas, where you are from.

--Jeff

Can't be Jeff, that's a Dakota, not a 89 Ram.

pwerwagn
04-19-2007, 04:27 PM
I know, I just found it ironic.....

BTW, I was reading some crap the other day and found this on the NHRA website, thought you'd get a kick out of it:

The truck is a former Pro Stock Truck chassis owned by Dr. Barry Sadler of Dr. Performance, who specializes in aftermarket diesel performance add-ons. To prove the value of their products, the truck is powered by a 200,000-mile 'wrecking yard' Cummins Turbo Diesel engine out of a '98 Dodge Dually with no modifications other than the Dr. Performance fuel injectors. Last weekend at the Drag Truck Wars in Tucson, Ariz., the truck ran a best of 9.92 seconds at 131 mph, making it the quickest automotive diesel powered truck in the world.
http://www.nhra.com/images/spacer.gifHogue, a firefighter from Aledo, Texas, a veteran Competition Eliminator driver, feels that the truck will not only be different, but competitive in NHRA's 10.90 index Super Street category.

I almost died laughing when I read that BS.

--Jeff

STV_Keith
04-19-2007, 05:13 PM
That must have been a few years ago. I know when I saw that truck at SEMA in 04, I was amazed it went at all. What a hack job. Hell, even the motor wasn't straight in the chassis!

pwerwagn
04-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, it was nov 03. I found it hilarious that they belived a 200,000 motor with nothing more than a set of injectors would run sub 10's. Sure...
Whatever floats their boat.

Im curious to see how the whole Banks Type R d-max thing goes with comp at the helm.

--Jeff

Redneck
04-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Nah, if I actually buy a clutch, Im gonna support Peter. He has been tremendously helpful with me when talking clutches. He also spends a significant amout of time online answering questions and helping people out, which means a lot. (Same goes for you Keith...).
His new spring'd dual disc's are awesome. I'll pay the extra money to support an entirely american company (Peter refuses to use any material/product not assembled here in america).

In all honesty, Im probably gonna screw the 5-speed and put an auto in it. Prolly a full billet goerends or DTT.
I should be getting my new HTT turbo next week...:D we'll see how long the luk lasts now.

--Jeff

I tried to deal with southbend, but after a few calls and being put on hold untill I hung up (45+ min once) I just gave up. But that was a year ago. My clutch (kinda) hung on for a while so I let it go. When I started again a few months ago, same thing. Started talking to a guy named Matt Gilmore and decided to try Haisleys. Hopefully I will be slapping on twin turbo's (my 66 as a small) twin CP3's, firerings, stage 3 head job, injectors, cam, valves and springs and another Programer. Already have TST and EZ, so I will stack a Smarty with it. Replace my FASS with an Airdog and I should be good to go. No matter what, it will be a quick truck.

For the supposedly 2000hp truck, its full interior with cold a/c. It back halved, but he still runs hot shot with it. Airbags added to the coil overs on the 4-link, and its the heaviest 4-link Ive ever seen. Just looks like a beat up flat bed though. And he's over 800,000 miles on it.

STV_Keith
04-20-2007, 12:08 AM
And you believed this guy? 800k miles, runs hot shot towing with it and 2000hp?

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Redneck
04-20-2007, 12:12 AM
One of my friends knows him and backs him up. I know he turns the pumps down for the street. Nothing insane, twin turbo, twin injector pumps, headwork, the normal. Then lots of spray.

pwerwagn
04-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Can you get pics???

allieman8
05-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Not to be johnny come lately - I read some articals about building drag diesels, Cummins in particular and to make that big power they lighten the rotating assembly so the will rev over 6000 rpm. Any one know how that affects street drivability and durabilty?? I currently have a 02 2500 Dodge CTD that dynos at 508 hp and over 1100 lb/ft torque.

Liquid Force
05-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Im looking at buying a 05 Ram with a cummings, whats a good recipe for 500-600HP out of one of these, I was thinking along the lines of the BD power Twin turbo kit, cooler, exhuast and fuel mods, it's that going down the right path?

No one has played with one of these in New Zealand so info is really limited..

STV_Keith
05-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Edge Juice/Attitude stacked with an Edge EZ, modded injectors, pusher pump, airbox, exhaust and a turbo upgrade should put you in the low to mid 500's. Driveability will still be there as well as fuel mileage. Any more than that and it starts going downhill.

Liquid Force
05-07-2007, 01:40 AM
perfect, thats sounds exactly what I want, I still need it to be able to tow my boat, and don't want a track only monster.

What spec turbo, and were is the best place to buy all this stuff?

STV_Keith
05-07-2007, 10:20 AM
If you are in Canada, call DTT (Diesel Transmission Technology)...they have the skinny on the parts. 604-504-4002.

Redneck
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
04.5 and newer have a 4" exhaust, so all you want to do there is add a high flow muffler, or straight pipe it. Use a FASS or Airdog lift pump, Edge EZ box and a TST. A good air filter and you are set. You can get a TST with the gauges built in, or run seperate gauges. The Common Rail Cummins spool up big turbo's better than the older trucks, so you can save money and run a large single turbo over a set of twins. Im running a HTB2/66 (Sledpuller 66) and it spools pretty quick. When I go twins, Im keeping the 66 as a small turbo. But, if you are running an automatic transmission, you will have to put some money into it to handle that power. I tow 20,000+ lbs with mine with no problem, and havent found a hill yet that I have to downshift for. You can also use a Smarty box if you are running a large single turbo. It makes great power down low, and spools big turbos even faster. There are lots of diesel sites to get info from, just do a search.

Oh yea, Its a Cummins, not a Cummings. Some people get mad if you dont even know the name of the motor in your truck.

allieman8
05-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Make sure you beef the trans (upgraded valve body) and get a good converter, my buddy has an 05 and put in one of the Edge computers and the stock converter just slips when you put power to it then the computer takes away power. Don't get too carried away with big injectors - it has to be balanced or you will get exhaust gas temps that are too high if you hammer on it for more than a quarter mile pass. Any one in Minnesota area I can hook you up with Tim at Holmberg Diesel Performance and he can put together a power package for you (recommendations and the order to do them in.) Also for the newer (04 +) there are some 5 inch and bigger exhaust systems that sound and perform good.

Redneck
05-16-2007, 08:26 PM
5" is a waste. Stock pipe, no muffler, no cat. She gets a little loud sometimes, but I just crank up the tunes. Have seen dyno runs of 1000+hp diesel trucks that are full 4" systems. I saw one guy swap to a 5" and the only change was a loss of 17ft. lbs. of torque. Not much, but something. 5 runs and it was 14-19 ft lbs down every time. Swapped back, ran again, it came back.

Liquid Force
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Is it worth getting the new 6.7L or should I look for a new 5.9?

Also whats the new 6 speed auto like durability wise.

I don't tow a huge amount of weight, maybe a max of 7000lbs every once in a while.

Redneck
05-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I hear the 6.7's dont get near the fuel milage. Still dont know about reliability yet. Also, have no idea what you can do to them performance wise. They also have to pass emissions tests here, and the old ones didnt. Ive had people tell me that they cant even do a full exhaust on the new 6.7. But, I dont own one, thus I havent looked into them much. Personaly, I would get a 5.9 because they have proven themselves over the years. I know at least 60 people with over a million miles on 5.9's. Cant say that about the 6.7 yet.

Liquid Force
05-24-2007, 05:22 PM
fair enough, I figured they were pretty loaded with emissions crap. I saw on you tube, edge had one on a dyno and pulled an extra 100hp at the wheels out of it on stage 5. was 380hp at the wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFoMAKIszzw

still a 6 speed auto has it's appeal.

Redneck
05-24-2007, 07:02 PM
I hate auto tranny's, but I hear the 6 speed is doing better than the old 4 speed. Even then, you will want to put $5k or so in the tranny if you are going to add power. The Allison auto in the Chevy's is supposed to be the best factory auto tranny avalible, and I have seen some adapted to fit a Cummins. They are still breaking if you add 100hp or so to the truck. If you do anything to make more power, you need to get a torque converter and a upgraded valve body. Even the Allison was breaking imput shafts with about 200hp over stock. I broke 2 imput shafts on my 6 speed standard before I bought some titanium and borrowed a shop. Then I had it cryo treated. No problems with it yet, but Im having clutch slip issues. Waiting for my tripple disk before I add any more power. I have dual CP3's, twin turbo's and some more go fast goodies waiting though. 1000+hp to the wheels without N02 is my goal. With go-go juice I am looking for over 1500. I bought another trans for this truck that Im going to tear down, and remake everything in it out of titanium. Hopefully that will take the power I am planning on. I almost have the back-half done too. Going with a 4 link with coil over shocks, but it will have airbags for towing. Right now the truck will break traction bars and leaf springs if I launch too hard. Just like fast boats, having a big slow work truck that will beat dedicated race cars is an obsession. I will see if one of my friends can email me some pics he got of me launching. Getting one front tire in the air off the line. Problem is the leaf springs are breaking when I do that. It never ends, but I WILL have the fastest diesel in the country sooner or later.

Redneck
05-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Oh, the 6.7 has an exhaust "filter" that you are supposed to have "serviced" every so many miles. Supposed to keep the truck from smoking too bad. I would see what it would take to gut it. Remember, with a diesel, back pressure in the exhaust will make the EGT's higher and will take several hundred throusand miles of life from the engine. Taking the muffler off the old truck will add 200,000 miles to the life of the truck easy.

Casey
05-24-2007, 10:53 PM
I've got a 04 (305/555) 2WD, DRW, QC, 6spd that's stock expect for a 4" Magnaflow muffler, Power Pup and a gutted intake silencer. do ya'll think it's worth swapping to a true 4" turbo back or is the 3.5" down pipe plenty for what mods I've got.

Redneck
05-24-2007, 11:07 PM
It should drop your EGT's a little and maybe give you a small fuel milage increase. Up to 1mpg or so. Depends on what you expect for your money. If that is worth the price of the exhaust, then do it. Kind of comes down to what you want. Might pick up a little power and I believe it will get your turbo to spool up just a little faster. Probably not that noticeable to the driver, but if you ever take it a little further, you will already have what you need.

Did you gut the plastic piece between the airbox and the turbo? Have you taken the silencer ring out of the turbo? A big circlip holds the little stamped piece of sheetmetal in the intake of the turbo. Gives you a little smoother intake flow, and more turbo whine. Supposed to give another little bit of power (not really noticeable) and its free.

Casey
05-25-2007, 07:05 AM
yes, I took it apart and removed the cross piece and then put it back together. I wanted it to look stock for warranty purposes. since it's now out of warranty I may pick me up a piece of 6" tubing to replace it with. and I've thought about removing the ring but decided to leave it in to keep it quite

one of these days I may do more but only after I replace the clutch. it can't even handle what I got now. I have to leave it on the 90hp setting to keep it from slipping

Liquid Force
05-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Im not a fan of auto trannies, but alot of people drive my truck, and driving a LHD vehicle in a RHD country it's easier to just deal with an auto, changing gears with your right hand feels a little strange.

Redneck
05-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Casey, yea, the older 6 speed (NV5600) doesnt like power without a clutch upgrade. Get that done, blow some 'Stangs and Camaros away and you will want more. LOL. I have the G56 (05.5 and later) and it takes power better, but still doesnt handle what Im throwing at it. Waiting for my tripple disk. Price for me, as a beta tester, is $3200, so not the cheapest thing around.

Liquid Force, that my no one drives my truck. Big turbo likes to bark bad if you dont know how to drive it, so no one else touches it. I like rh drive cars. But Im left handed and got used to the shifter on the left pretty easy. Im better with LH drive though.