PDA

View Full Version : CD players....do they survive in a boat?

cocacola
04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
putting a new system in the boat since current one is non functional

CD players....do they survive in a boat?

I wasn't thinking of a deck...just one that's in the receiver

SUPAJAY
04-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Once they get wet theyr shot...

I always hit em with waterproofing spray and stored the deck inside during the winter. I also took the face off when i wasnt using the boat. If moisture gets behind the keys they tend to stop working. I had best luck my sony deck, it lasted me 3 season with no headaches. I sold it with my boat and im sure it still works.

Good luck

cocacola
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Any tip on speaker longevity?

Are marine speakers better or actually different?

Once they get wet theyr shot...

I always hit em with waterproofing spray and stored the deck inside during the winter. I also took the face off when i wasnt using the boat. If moisture gets behind the keys they tend to stop working. I had best luck my sony deck, it lasted me 3 season with no headaches. I sold it with my boat and im sure it still works.

Good luck

pwerwagn
04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
coca cola,

When shopping for boat speakers, rubber surrounds are the most important attribute. Foam surrounds tend to go to crap in damp areas.
some marine speakers have coated baskets so that they dont rust.
Also, paper cone's tend to not like moisture either. Ive had good luck with the poly type cones such as sony xplod, some kenwoods, etc.
Ive never used "good speakers" (i.e, focal, nakamichi, etc) in a boat. Im afraid to ruin speakers that expensive.
I have a used set of bostons I took out of the jeep I will probably try in the boat this season.

--Jeff

Fish
04-23-2007, 07:43 PM
I bought a cheap cd/mp3 receiver with wired remote about a year ago (I think it is a pyle) on ebay, and it has survived thus far in my stv. I mounted the receiver in a water proof housing in the back of the boat under the rear seat. the only thing I touch is the wired remote, which is about 20' long- good for when I am beached, I can just put the remote on the front of the boat and have all controls. It is also water resistant. Receiver never sees the weather, and thieves never see the receiver. Plus, no cutting in the dash.

Not the greatest receiver in the world, but for just over 100 bucks, when it goes bad, I don't have a lot in it.

Fish
04-23-2007, 07:48 PM
it is like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/PYLE-MARINE-AUDIO-RADIO-CD-MP3-PLAYER-STEREO-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ270110557724QQihZ017QQcategoryZ18798QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2 De River
04-23-2007, 10:12 PM
We put a clarion deck that we found in a marine dealiership and ued the water proof speakers from overton's,, in a pontoon boat 3 yrs ago, it stays outside with a canvas cover on it I've had no problems with it, it is however a marine grade stereo.

sho305
04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Polk speakers are also marine rated. I just saw that sony has a deck with a harddrive in it for mp3s, I wonder how they take a beating. Many people say get a player with a longer memory or it will skip bad on rough water. I agree, I would not put anything expensive in a boat either, unless it was a larger boat where it is safer/drier usually. I used to put systems in 24' and larger boats that were reasonable, never used marine stuff except for dash speakers that were exposed. Had few problems. Seems like a memory stick or usb would be best these days.

Daystreamer
06-14-2007, 08:42 PM
These are 180 watts, marine grade and have 3 NOAA weather channels built in them and the wired remote mounts in a gauge hole. ebay item #150130832748

fullthrottle114
06-14-2007, 08:51 PM
i've got rockford fosgate stiff in my boat and its incredible, they have a marine series and like i said its just amazing. they arent making head units anymore but i have 2 10's, 4 6's and a gynormous amp in my boat.

mb quart are good as well and alot cheaper then rockford fosgate

Scream And Fly
06-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I have a better idea - forget the CD player: We're working on an installation article for installing an iPod into a boat as an integrated sound system alternative. Great thing is, when you're done, remove it, amps stay in place.

sho305
06-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I think that is the way to go. They also have decks with the USB and Flashcards that go in though I don't know how they work. The only pain is you have to put what you want on them if they are not that big...I have a hard enough time dealing with pics on the camera at times on the PC. Either way, you get no skipping that way...and getting rid of the deck all together is not bad at all. Some people on here were using something to do that, I know some EQs have an input so you are not running straight to amp(s) and you have a fader even volume that way.

I have to look into the stuff, don't have an ipod but I will be getting a new good head unit for my car later this year when the rest is sorted out and sounding nice. I want to try running mp3s and stuff into it or otherwise something non CD to get music into it. Might just get a cheaper mp3 player to try too not sure.

AwesomeBullet
06-14-2007, 09:59 PM
My rig has the Jensen marine system in it.....it's been to hell and back (you know how rough us tournament guys are on equipment). Been stepped on, rained on, sat in the heat of the sun all day, fish dropped on it, anything you can imagine, and it keeps comin back for more...I turn it on at blast off, put a cd in, and so far it hasn't ever even skipped. I love being able to run down the lake and listen to it just like in my truck....:D